-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Head knowledge and heart understanding will never be on parallel.

Psuche vice Pneuma.
One can understand the both.
The other can only think it understands.

It thinks it knows...

but will eternally be lost in the thought...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Originally Posted by BLG
* More than four in 10 Catholics do not know that their church teaches that the bread and wine used in Communion actually become the body and blood of Christ.

Bull Crap to the nth degree!!

I'm Catholic, and when you receive communion, when the priest offers it to you he says, "the Body of Christ". When he gives you the wine, he says, "the Blood of Christ. The whole tennant of the Mass revolves around the body and blood of Christ. Your article is bogus.

Clyde

It's one thing to mouth,or hear - the WORDS.

It's entirely another to believe you are actually drinking the blood of a person said to have died 2000 years ago - and to belief you are committing an act of canibalism.

Stop being so obtuse. You know as well as I do that it is symbolism. Nothing more, nothing less. Cannabalism....sheesh. Where do you come up with this crap Brian?

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Only dead people know the truth, all else is speculation..........and no you are not truly dead if you come back to life, been there, done that. Very peaceful during the time your body is shut down, euphoric actually. Believers would believe they went to heaven.

Last edited by Tombo; 09/29/10.

I am 100% against waterboarding. Splatter their brains out the back of their heads.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tombo: you cant be logging on and posting on this forum and on an issue that is this emotional if you are going to make sense or use logic...

I'm just sayin.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry!!!!

I am 100% against waterboarding. Splatter their brains out the back of their heads.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tombo: you cant be logging on and posting on this forum and on an issue that is this emotional if you are going to make sense or use logic...

I'm just sayin.... grin

Ingwe

+1

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why, this clearly demonstrates the superiority of the Atheist mind. Come to think of it, the Atheists I know DO have a superiority comlex. Perhaps it is well deserved.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we "all" seem to enjoy these kinds of threads for whatever reason.

noone ever agrees, yet we all keep on. wink it's kind of like consciousness, the last frontier. we could live without it, i'm sure carrots and spinach enjoy not having human consciousness.

but lot's of folks think we have to do something to have religion. we must act, or believe or have faith, or perform certain rituals. in fact, that thing that brought us here would go on without us, right?

i know i didn't bring myself into creation, i don't think. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay. No longer agnostic. Gus is God!

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
More embarrassment for the non-religious such as myself from grandstanding fools.

I don't claim to have a deep insight into the nature of religion, but I'm pretty sure the point isn't a trivial pursuit about facts and figures in the history of various religious movements.

The church is near, but the roads are icy. The pub is far away, but I will walk carefully.
IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steve

use to own a siberian husky named Koldstar...a sky-eyed red coated husky of the highest order. grin

beyond that, i'd never claim to be the all knowing Omneity. now, if you ask me was i an agent of omneity, i wouldn't know the answer for certain.

i do like Dr. Mathew Fox's views on co-creation theology. Us and God working together, or some such, in layman's terms.

strictly speaking, i'd classify myself as a believer or follower of monotheistic panentheism. Yes!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm just sayin.... grin

Ingwe

Eschatological logic!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Steve

use to own a siberian husky named Koldstar...a sky-eyed red coated husky of the highest order. grin

beyond that, i'd never claim to be the all knowing Omneity. now, if you ask me was i an agent of omneity, i wouldn't know the answer for certain.

i do like Dr. Mathew Fox's views on co-creation theology. Us and God working together, or some such, in layman's terms.

strictly speaking, i'd classify myself as a believer or follower of monotheistic panentheism. Yes!

I had a class on the philosophy of God that was co-taught by an atheist husband and a devout wife. It was about the best class ever, but when we were learning about the onmi...whatever of God, the professor was going on. Finally, she said, "If God was a drink, God would be omnipina colada on a tropical island." A nun was taking the class and she thought it was as hilarious as everyone else.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Seems like a lot of folks here who are down on atheists and agnostics assume that they never "had faith." I don't know what, or if, I believe anymore, but it sure wasn't what I was taught growing up. The assumption that an atheist didn't "soul search" in coming to his conclusions is pretty arrogant. I know atheists (and some are the most principled folks I've ever met) who've never pushed their position, until they were pushed, who reached it after many years. Often, they want belief, they want faith... but it isn't there.

Sometimes people lose faith because of one event; sometimes it's a culmination of many things. But trying to explain loss of faith to a believer is very difficult. The best analogy is when you were a kid and suddenly came to the realization that Santa Claus wasn't real. You were probably sad, and really wanted to believe he was real again. You may have tried to believe again. But at the end of the day, no matter how much you wanted to believe in something you'd believed in before, you couldn't believe again (and don't go getting your panties all in a wad, ranting that I'm comparing God to Santa; I'm trying to talk about the difficulty, or inability, of an individual to reclaim belief, in a way that conveys the sensation to a believer)

I strongly suspect that many of the butts in pews on Sunday are agnostics and non-believers, sitting there in part because of social pressures... and as a form of "soul insurance."

JMTC.

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by ajb05854
It never ceases to amaze me why a man will devote his live to something he doesn't believe in. You'd think that some small truth would sink into his head, but apparently it hasn't. Jesus said that Christianity is total foolishness to those who don't accept it so why would he spend his life teaching what he calls foolishness? Simply amazing. Sad, but amazing.

The Bible wasn't written to describe the human condition or how to have a good life. It was written to bring us into the eternal presence of God. If you miss that part, it's all nonsense.

He was a devout Christian.

Ok. I carefully reread it and find that I missed that. I thought he was agnostic.
However, I have numerous time listened to ministers who don't believe the Bible. One classic example is a guy who we met at a bed and breakfast last year. He said he was the bishop in charge of the Episcopal church in Idaho. He was at the B&B shacking up with some whore and he freely admitted it. I've seen what he's done in the past to promote abortion and homosexuality. How can he hold his so called Christian office when he doesn't believe a word of it?

Most likely his theology is Deism not Theism. His religion is most likely natural religion, i.e. reason without revelation.

I don't know but based on your post I would guess that.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Interesting topic. I have found that many athiest's I've talked to have a surprisingly good knoweldge of the various more established religions. Ican understand why people are athiest's, I can also understand why people are religious. Neither are necessarily foolish or ignorant, usually it's just a matter of different circumstances and life experiences leading them down a certain path. I've been up and down this road enough times my self to understand the confusion and frustration involved in trying to piece together exactly what the "truth" is. At this point in time I'd have to describe myself mostly as a Diest, in that I believe in God but don't beleive any one religion has all the answers. I think there is much to be learned in the Bible and also from the Buhddist's,as well many others. Arguing about it is largely a waste of time,as no one is likely to change their mind due to your arguments. Believe what yuo will,just realize that other people will think your beliefs just as rediculous as you find theirs. Chances are your both right.

They have no understanding whatever of the Bible. They've entirely missed it. It's a covenant between God and man that enables men to spend eternity with God. If the athiests had a good understanding of it, they'd be screaming to join it.

Atheists understand the Bible completely and have rejected the Bible and revealed religion.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BLG
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Originally Posted by BLG
* More than four in 10 Catholics do not know that their church teaches that the bread and wine used in Communion actually become the body and blood of Christ.

Bull Crap to the nth degree!!

I'm Catholic, and when you receive communion, when the priest offers it to you he says, "the Body of Christ". When he gives you the wine, he says, "the Blood of Christ. The whole tennant of the Mass revolves around the body and blood of Christ. Your article is bogus.

Clyde

It's one thing to mouth,or hear - the WORDS.

It's entirely another to believe you are actually drinking the blood of a person said to have died 2000 years ago - and to belief you are committing an act of canibalism.

Stop being so obtuse. You know as well as I do that it is symbolism. Nothing more, nothing less. Cannabalism....sheesh. Where do you come up with this crap Brian?

Clyde

Maybe to you but not a lot of Christians especially Catholics.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Flyfast
Seems like a lot of folks here who are down on atheists and agnostics assume that they never "had faith." I don't know what, or if, I believe anymore, but it sure wasn't what I was taught growing up. The assumption that an atheist didn't "soul search" in coming to his conclusions is pretty arrogant. I know atheists (and some are the most principled folks I've ever met) who've never pushed their position, until they were pushed, who reached it after many years. Often, they want belief, they want faith... but it isn't there.

Sometimes people lose faith because of one event; sometimes it's a culmination of many things. But trying to explain loss of faith to a believer is very difficult. The best analogy is when you were a kid and suddenly came to the realization that Santa Claus wasn't real. You were probably sad, and really wanted to believe he was real again. You may have tried to believe again. But at the end of the day, no matter how much you wanted to believe in something you'd believed in before, you couldn't believe again (and don't go getting your panties all in a wad, ranting that I'm comparing God to Santa; I'm trying to talk about the difficulty, or inability, of an individual to reclaim belief, in a way that conveys the sensation to a believer)

I strongly suspect that many of the butts in pews on Sunday are agnostics and non-believers, sitting there in part because of social pressures... and as a form of "soul insurance."

JMTC.

Good post. The number of Christians who really believe is a small number indeed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I thought it was a fairly simple test. I aced it and will always wonder how I'd have done if they'd given all 32 questions. I'm a Christian but I believe all churches are full of crap and dogma so I just don't go. I don't need them to believe. If one wants to believe, fine. If not, that's fine too. Sooner or later we'll all stand before the Judge and to be honest, I'm probably in serious trouble.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I thought it was a fairly simple test. I aced it and will always wonder how I'd have done if they'd given all 32 questions. I'm a Christian but I believe all churches are full of crap and dogma so I just don't go. I don't need them to believe. If one wants to believe, fine. If not, that's fine too. Sooner or later we'll all stand before the Judge and to be honest, I'm probably in serious trouble.
Paul B.

We all are if the truth be known!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.