Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Something makes them the most accurate and best selling production rifles in the world.
My left nut contains more gray matter than what you posess in your whole [bleep]' head Swampman. You are the dumbest, most ignorant, blind, retarded, inbred, white trash, moronic a$$hole I've come across on a website in a long time. Btw, I love M700s and many other rifles, but the way you talk about them makes me want beat you in your misshapen, waterhead skull with one you [bleep] dult.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My beef with Rem barrels has less to do with the barrel per se, and more to do with the chamber.... sloppy, sloppy, sloppy with a throat halfway down the damn barrel. My last M700 shoots fine but the chambering job is a horror.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nsaqam
There has been alot of talk about the German made hammer forging machines and the fact that many of the manufacturers use the same machines.
The question I have is whether this German manufacturer also makes the all important mandrel around which these barrels are formed?
I would think the quality of this mandrel has much more to do with final accuracy than does the machine which hammers the blank.
Does anyone know whether these mandrels are made in house or made, like the hammer forge itself, by the same manufacturer?

The mandrels are made by the rifle manufacturer or a tool vendor of their choosing. The amount of times a mandrel is used would determine the quality of the rifling as would whether the "Hole" was properly reamed and honed. I seriously doubt Remington hones those bores prior to hammer forging...Steyr and Sako would be examples of properly hammer forged barrels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79
Thanks for making me a little dumber, really appreciate it.

coffee out my nose!! It burns!! Ahhhhh!!

LMAO!!
grin

I'm starting to think Swampy is the founder of this new club...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79
Thanks for making me a little dumber, really appreciate it.

coffee out my nose!! It burns!! Ahhhhh!!

LMAO!!
grin

I'm starting to think Swampy is the founder of this new club...

laugh! Good one.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Remington makes a great rifle... and before last year I would have said that they were the best production in the world...

BUT

Last year My middle son went rifle shopping and got a new Win Mod70 feather weight for at least $100 less than the BDL I was pushing him to.

The Win is at least as accurate and nice as any of the BDLs we have� given we only have 2.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hard to return once you've gone M70

whistle

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

whistle

BT/DT. I gave the M70 to my brother.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
My beef with Rem barrels has less to do with the barrel per se, and more to do with the chamber.... sloppy, sloppy, sloppy with a throat halfway down the damn barrel. My last M700 shoots fine but the chambering job is a horror.

yawn..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

whistle

i refuse to go to a model 70 just because.......that said my Kimber has a remarkable resemblance to a mini winchester action.......dammit...... grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
whistle

That was mean.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
whistle

That was mean.

but at least he was truthful ... (grin)

-WGM-
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd put my factory barrel'd Rem 700 Ti's up against any custom, of like weight.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got factory remington 700 "varmint" style bbl'd actions in .243win and .223rem that if they shot any better they would make a good benchrest rifle. Have had others before them that performed equally well.

Come to think of it, I haven't yet had a Remington 700 in any configuration that hasn't shot very well out of the box. Most all customizations I've made have been more about taste or style ... not really about improving the accuracy or function of the rifles.

Not trying to draw any comparisons to other rifles by saying that ... just pointing out what my experiences have been, and I don't have a single complaint with my Remingtons ... in fact, All my bolt action rifles are Remingtons, and I don't plan on changing ...

-WGM-
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'd put my factory barrel'd Rem 700 Ti's up against any custom, of like weight.

My NULA .30-'06 shoots very well, and it "only" has a Douglas stainless barrel.

The best barrels are cut rifled and hand lapped. The barrel maker can feel the barrel as the cut progresses, and a good barrel maker can turn out a superior product. Probably not economical for production quantities as the other factory methods are. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In the world....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WGM
I've got factory remington 700 "varmint" style bbl'd actions in .243win and .223rem that if they shot any better they would make a good benchrest rifle. Have had others before them that performed equally well.

Come to think of it, I haven't yet had a Remington 700 in any configuration that hasn't shot very well out of the box. Most all customizations I've made have been more about taste or style ... not really about improving the accuracy or function of the rifles.

Not trying to draw any comparisons to other rifles by saying that ... just pointing out what my experiences have been, and I don't have a single complaint with my Remingtons ... in fact, All my bolt action rifles are Remingtons, and I don't plan on changing ...

I've had two that didn't meet my standards. Both eventually got bedded and floated and one was recrowned, still didn't do it.

The new M700 in 30-06 I bought my brother was about a 1.5 MOA rifle, even with handloads. I messed with it for a while before I gave it to him. But it wasn't bedded or anything. I'd call that borderline.

I've got "several" M700's that shoot great out of the box, or with minimal tweaking. That's always nice.

Nice product; I'm a fan, most of my rifles are Rem. But they make some turkeys; I've bought 'em.

In my limited experience, custom barrels are much more likely to be very accurate, have nice tight, clean chambers, are not fussy or picky about loads, and foul very minimally and clean up easy. I'd say those are ALL advantages they have over the typical Rem tube.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My .243 is (unfortunately) just slapped into a PSS take-off stock, no bedding other than the "scope/action stretch eliminating" aluminum bedding block ... was ringing an 8" steel plate at about 800 yards with it easily ... 105g Amax's are what it eats now. However, that's the same rifle I shot my antelope with a couple years ago, shooting the 85g TSX ... shots were 300 yds, 315yds, and 415 yds - all one shot kills.

the other one is a .223rem 12" twist that's in a Manners stock (similar to the A5 w/out a butt hook), and it's only got aluminum pillars and a dab of bedding at the lug. It too is scary accurate with 50g Vmax's ...

I'm sure that ALL rifle makers, as well as custom bbl makers, let a bad one out of the shop from time to time ... nobody is perfect ... but overall, I find no issues with the Remington rifles ... I like the design of them, and they rarely require any real 'fixing' ... maybe a tweak of the magazine box lips to facilitate better feeding ... or replacing a J-Lock assembly with a non-J-Lock assembly ... a little trigger tweak, etc...

but again, I've never had one that just refused to shoot ... and most I've had really shot well, like 1MOA or better by just taking them out of the box and shooting them.

-WGM-
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Huh a thread about how the best barrels are made and not an Anschutz or Feinwerkbau in sight? Something is wrong here.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.