Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Big, Medium, Small,....all the same when they show up near the house for breakfast.

Saute' over a very low heat, Garlic, and a dash of Taragon,.....go VERY easy on the salt.

serve with Eggs, and fresh Corn Tortillas.

GTC

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers
/Snake1.jpg[/IMG]

Damn Greg! Ya never said ya got snakes when you invited me to your place!! wink

Later...

ps I still plan on showin up someday

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Take a triangle from Page Arizona to 4 Corners, to Grand Junction, that's about the range of the concolor, and I doubt if 10,000 people live within that space of what, 10,000 sq mi.?

Spent 1 1/2 year at Page, with most of my spare time on the desert. Can't recall seeing ANY snake at all. I like it that way.

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp

Spent 1 1/2 year at Page, with most of my spare time on the desert. Can't recall seeing ANY snake at all. I like it that way.

Bruce

Power plant overhaul?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have read quite a bit about Timbers and Canebreaks, and some experts think they are the same species but different coloration because of geographical location.

Other experts think they are either a seperate species or one is a sub-species of the other. I have also read that there is talk of doing DNA analysis to determine the exact status of these two types.

But, as of now, I don't know if anyone actually knows if the two snakes are related, and if so, by how much.

I do know that in this area, or actually on our deer hunting lease in South GA, the one pictured in Badger's post, with the stripe down it's back, is most often referred to as a Canebreak, while the ones without the stripe are referred to as Timbers.

As far as aggressive, the only snake venomous or non venomous, I have ever had strike at me was a Canebreak about 3 feet long. Fortunately, I was about 3 inches out of his strike zone.

I saw a movement and heard a slight noise. I did not know what it was so I looked closer and it struck again, again missing my leg by about 3 inches. The second time, even though I was looking at it, was so unbelievely fast that there was no way of dodging it if I had been in range.

It struck at me a total of 3 times, and I had done nothing to provoke it. I didn't even know it was there until the second strike, when I saw it move. Scary.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by no_one
If you find playing with snakes a wee bit thrilling.....we have a sweet, docile little wonder over here called a Taipan (inland Brown).

I guarantee you that your lot will be an awful lot more exciting when you grab it by the tail.

.....for a short time, anyway!

From what I see... everything's poisonous down under. I had friends growing up, triplet boys, plus one older brother, who'd lived in Australia from ages 4-7. Their Brit mother was a nervous wreck by the time they moved here. She said they could never leave a snake alone, and Australia was a bad place to raise reptile-obsessed laddies.

Murphy was an optimist.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Flyfast
Originally Posted by no_one
If you find playing with snakes a wee bit thrilling.....we have a sweet, docile little wonder over here called a Taipan (inland Brown).

I guarantee you that your lot will be an awful lot more exciting when you grab it by the tail.

.....for a short time, anyway!

From what I see... everything's poisonous down under. I had friends growing up, triplet boys, plus one older brother, who'd lived in Australia from ages 4-7. Their Brit mother was a nervous wreck by the time they moved here. She said they could never leave a snake alone, and Australia was a bad place to raise reptile-obsessed laddies.

if it aint venomous its a python.....IIRC Australia has exactly 2 snakes that are neither a python nor venomous......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1234567
I have read quite a bit about Timbers and Canebreaks, and some experts think they are the same species but different coloration because of geographical location.

Other experts think they are either a seperate species or one is a sub-species of the other. I have also read that there is talk of doing DNA analysis to determine the exact status of these two types.

But, as of now, I don't know if anyone actually knows if the two snakes are related, and if so, by how much.

I do know that in this area, or actually on our deer hunting lease in South GA, the one pictured in Badger's post, with the stripe down it's back, is most often referred to as a Canebreak, while the ones without the stripe are referred to as Timbers.

As far as aggressive, the only snake venomous or non venomous, I have ever had strike at me was a Canebreak about 3 feet long. Fortunately, I was about 3 inches out of his strike zone.

I saw a movement and heard a slight noise. I did not know what it was so I looked closer and it struck again, again missing my leg by about 3 inches. The second time, even though I was looking at it, was so unbelievely fast that there was no way of dodging it if I had been in range.

It struck at me a total of 3 times, and I had done nothing to provoke it. I didn't even know it was there until the second strike, when I saw it move. Scary.

I killed that one in Stewart County on the Ga/Al state line near Lake Eufaula.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our property is in Washington county, between Milledgville and Sandersville, in a community called Deep Step.

I have also hunted Stewart County several years ago.

Both areas, yours and mine, are about on the boundry line between north of there they are Timbers and to the South, they are Cane breaks.

We seem to have more Cottonmouths than anything. I mean the genuine article, not the banded water snakes many people refer to as Cottonmouths.

SteveG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
I do. Do you know the chance of a anyone being bitten by a venomous snake? I spoke at length with one of our local ER doctors about treating snake bites and he told me most people who are bitten by venomous snakes are drunk when it happens, indicating that most people are bitten while harassing them. If you don't bother the snakes, the snakes won't bother you. It seems you are using their percieved danger to humans as an excuse for killing them.

At the Regional Medical center ER I worked at for 30 years, we would treat about 15 Poisonous snakebites/yr. I don't recall any of them I saw as being drunk. Most were kids outdoors at night, frequently bare-footed, or adults reaching into the wood-pile or other likely place where mice hid.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SteveG
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
I do. Do you know the chance of a anyone being bitten by a venomous snake? I spoke at length with one of our local ER doctors about treating snake bites and he told me most people who are bitten by venomous snakes are drunk when it happens, indicating that most people are bitten while harassing them. If you don't bother the snakes, the snakes won't bother you. It seems you are using their percieved danger to humans as an excuse for killing them.

At the Regional Medical center ER I worked at for 30 years, we would treat about 15 Poisonous snakebites/yr. I don't recall any of them I saw as being drunk. Most were kids outdoors at night, frequently bare-footed, or adults reaching into the wood-pile or other likely place where mice hid.

thats been my experience aswell.....though if you take bite numbers as a whole across the entire US alcohol seems to be an issue in alot of bites....kids make up the second largest group and ppl just out working in the yard the third.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

SteveG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Am scheduled to hunt in Belize next year. I think they call the big lance-heads "yellow-jawed Tommygoffs". Guess they also have some of the tropical rattlers down there.

[Linked Image] Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://consejo.bz/belize/snakes.html

nasty ones down that way.....wouldnt stop me from hunting but i would watch where i step and put my hands.....may i ask what your planning to hunt down there?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rattler
.....though if you take bite numbers as a whole across the entire US alcohol seems to be an issue in alot of bites....kids make up the second largest group and ppl just out working in the yard the third.....

I printed a copy of this for my wife. I've never been fond of yard work.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
SteveG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
http://consejo.bz/belize/snakes.html

nasty ones down that way.....wouldnt stop me from hunting but i would watch where i step and put my hands.....may i ask what your planning to hunt down there?

Water buffalo(supposed to be the first year offered) and white-lipped peccary. Then some river and reef-fishing.
One cannot take one's rifles into the country. We will be using shotguns of residents.

[Linked Image] Steve

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Am scheduled to hunt in Belize next year. I think they call the big lance-heads "yellow-jawed Tommygoffs". Guess they also have some of the tropical rattlers down there.

I believe the Tommy Goffs are usually seen under the name of Fer-de-lance..the yellow jawed ( or beard..Barba Amarilla) is the Bushmaster...or indeed I could have them bass ackwards... crazy But the two are there, and the tropical rattlers are REALLY cool lookin, though I dont know their proper name...I could have a REAL good time messing with snakes there!!! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
.....though if you take bite numbers as a whole across the entire US alcohol seems to be an issue in alot of bites....kids make up the second largest group and ppl just out working in the yard the third.....

I printed a copy of this for my wife. I've never been fond of yard work.

my wife wishes my interest in snakes was a lil less so.....if i come across one it has my entire focus......she really gets pissy when i dive into the brush after a bullsnake when im dressed up for state meetings grin

she got damn pissed the one time cause she thought it was embarrassing as hell i dove down the side of a hill cause i saw a large racer a short ways down the hill in the middle of a conversation with someone she knew....i caught the racer though, good sized and didnt try to bite to bad....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

I believe the Tommy Goffs are usually seen under the name of Fer-de-lance..the yellow jawed ( or beard..Barba Amarilla) is the Bushmaster...or indeed I could have them bass ackwards... crazy But the two are there, and the tropical rattlers are REALLY cool lookin, though I dont know their proper name...I could have a REAL good time messing with snakes there!!! grin

Ingwe

i really think you and i need to go on an overseas hunt together grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh Krapp Sheridan..we could have a BALL!!! grin

My last trip to Africa we went after some snakes...it was mega-cool cool
Puff adders, a cobra, and a Rock Python...the python hadnt been watching Steve Irwin on TV and when I approached him he tried to actively bite me!!! shocked

It was GREAT!!!! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im working on Australia for 2013.......

Last edited by rattler; 10/26/10.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Krapppppppp....let me start working on a savings account.... wink

Ingwe

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.