Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wipe out for me, Montana extreme if I'm cleaning at the range but I hate the strong odor and fear it getting on my wood stock. Soaking wipe out for 12 to 14 hours does wonders for me and then 2 or three patches pushes the blue gunk right out. Cleaned 3 rifles totally free of copper after a 24 hour soak in 15 min.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Most of the traditional ammonia cleaners will if left in the bore over 15 minutes or so,

does this mean hopes no.9 copper solvent will hurt my bore if left overnight?

Last edited by Rickwaldo; 10/14/10.

=========================================================
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, the Hoppe's Copper Remover can be left in. But I've found MT Extreme to be more effective at removing copper.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my 270 has been shot for years and i,ve never givin much of a thought about copper fouling till i read this post, which i stumbled accross looking for reloading data, what a weath of information here

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
KG-12 or M Pro 7.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rickwaldo,

Copper "fouling" can also be highly over-worried. Many rifles shoot great with visible copper in the bore. If your rifle still shoots well, don't worry about it.

The modern conviction that any visible copper at the muzzle complete ruins accuracy has sold more bore-cleaning products than any amount of advertising. But most shooters have never analyzed if copper fouling (or X number of rounds) actually affects the accuracy of their rifle. A lot of the time it doesn't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the gun shoots fairly well although each bullet, 130, 140 or 150 gr. bullet or type of powder finds its own mark on the paper.
i was thinking it might be copper fouling, but probably operator error mostly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a conversation with a gun store employee that is also a varmint hunter.
He was of the opinion that Wipe Out and similar products get a barrel "too clean" and in his experience, it usually took 5-20 shots to get his rifles to "settle down", and shoot as accurately as before. Is that possible? What do you think?

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am no benchrest shooter, but my ole Ruger tang safety 25-06 has always had the copper muzzle while it still shot 3/4" 5 shot groups after 50 rds of competition shooting. I did the test group as my 50 shots were either at a Plywood "running deer' or at the 200 YD "offhand" chicken shoot.

She now wears UBC, but I haven't put more than the required 5 shots to cure it down the tube.

I believe almost every article about accurate handloading discusses a "fouler shot" before seriously considering every bullet hole as indicating the load's potential....

Allen

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I still use Hoppes #9 for the same reason. It takes me back to a simpler time, even if damn near everything smells of it after you use it.

Nothing will get my elk hunting juices flowing like the smell of Hoppes #9--reminds me of my dad cleaning his rifle and elk season from a long time ago.

Like Middlefork, I run #9 through the barrel at the end for the good mojo--and to get rid of the "dirty water" smell of Wipeout..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Best stuff I've ever found is Bore Tech Eliminator. Non-toxic, won't harm barrels or blueing, works fast. I often use only patches. Just run them through until they stop turning purple/blue. A nylon brush makes it even faster. GREAT stuff.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Anyone have experience with slick 2000?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Best stuff I've ever found is Bore Tech Eliminator. Non-toxic, won't harm barrels or blueing, works fast. I often use only patches. Just run them through until they stop turning purple/blue. A nylon brush makes it even faster. GREAT stuff.

I tried to pass this idea along a couple weeks ago on this thread but nobody will listen, they all have their own agenda and listening apparently is not part of that. let them keep struggling thinking Hoppes is a miracle cologne and barrel cleaner and ammonia has any other use than to singe your nose hairs and clean shoe marks off a school room floor.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I don't care if anyone chooses to listen or not. I've turned all my shooting pals onto Bore Tech, and they're all total converts now. I turned some of the guys at my local rifle range onto the stuff, and now it's all the rage at the range among the regulars. Everyone I've know who's tried it has instantly become a big fan.

Hey, if people don't want to listen, so be it. You can lead a horse to water... Whatever. Maybe some guys LIKE the smell of ammonia.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pigster
I have been using a Foul Out III, primarily to clean my Sako AV (30-06). I have tried all kinds of chemical concoctions, spent countless hours soaking/brushing, copper was still visible at the muzzle end. This gadget was a god sent for heavily fouled bores.

+1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use a little Hoppes #9 on my oatmeal.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once again, UBC makes this whole argument a moot point. I applied it to 1 rifle. Then it worked so well that I applied it to ALL my rifles. Now I've got all my family members and friends using it. Why clean when you don't have to? Every few hundred rounds I'll push 4-5 patches with Butch's down the bore, or I'll just give it a shot of WipeOut and leave it over night and push out with 1 patch in the morning, and the bore is squeaky clean.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Does UBC have any effect on barrel life?

BBerg

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jordan

Do you find any blue when you push out the patches? I am prepping 2 rifles right now to UBC, and I think for the 17 hmr which is cleaning up very slow ( mostly powder , no blue using sweets) and I am hoping UBC will reduce the time between running a patch down the bore.

I think if you get on the UBC webpage there is mention it was field tested by the Army.

Allen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BBerg
Does UBC have any effect on barrel life?

BBerg

There is no concrete evidence that I have seen regarding this issue, yet, but testing by Doug and others has indicated that the hard ceramic UBC coating may increase barrel life. This makes sense if you consider that there is now a hard ceramic coating between the steel of the bore and the bullet, which would decrease the friction between the two.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.