Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I consider it a great choice for up to 400 yd big game - w/good 225 loads, but know alot of guys tote these in AK and other areas as their primary rifle.

Like to hear about your rifle and the success you have had w/them. Whelen fans chime in too since you are twins ballistically.

Thanks.

HR IC

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Very deadly on whitetails, shot three over the past two years. Very effective w/o being what I consider "overkill". A fun gun to shoot (Ruger 77) ammo is a bit pricey ($47.99 for Remington Core-Lokt) haven't tried it on bears yet, but that's coming soon! Very accurate set-up right out of the box, closest deer was 60 yards, furthest was ranged at 189 yards, all one shot kills, devastating to the internals, no wasted meat (unless you eat venison ribs.)My personal favorite cartridge. ......and very heavy on the "cool factor"!

Last edited by UncleSoapy; 11/01/10.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use mine for whitetails and hogs. All DRT's.

I dunno, 400 yards is pushing it for me on deer. I am way more comfortable out to 300 yards max. With a 3" high sight-in at 100, I am dropping about 10" at 300 using 225 grain loads at less than 2700 fps. I have not shot past 220 yet, but when/if I go 300, I will prolly hold my horizontal wire across the back on a deer.

My load is 225 grain Woodleighs and R15 out of a 20" barrel.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My youngest (11 at the time) shot his first whitetail (a dink doe)with a factory 200 gr. Silvertip out of a 7 CDL several years ago. At 30-odd yards offhand snapshot on the ground. Bang flop doesn't do it justice.

Got a pic somewhere in the computer. Shoulda kept that rifle!

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bear and gun pic in the knife section under bear hunt

IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never found it, searched...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sorry it was on rimfire central, my bad. frown

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A friend of mine bought a Remington 600-- .350 mag. back in the middle 60's for less than $100. According to him it's the best whitetail killer going bar none. It has accounted for over a 100 sets of antlers on the wall. Web

[Linked Image]
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Domit, I had that site saved/found your thread, congrats. Never seen a 600 350 in a syn stock. Had that rifle, regretfully sold it in mint condition before hunting it....money talked...but...

Thanks.

Seems a few guys over time have used M70 WSM actions also, anyone else?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's mine on a M-70 WSM action....

SS M-70 WSM.
20" SS Match Lilja #3 1-12" twist.
McMillan "Swirly" Compact pattern.
NECG Masterpiece irons (work very well with the compact pattern, btw).
2.5x20 Lupy Ultralight (temporary).
Talley LW's(temporary).
[Linked Image]

I've taken three deer with this rifle since building a few years ago and the performance of a 200gr TSX @2850fps has been very impressive! One shoulder shot, one neck, and one rib shot have resulted in two DRT's and one very heavy 30yd blood trail.

Edited to say, Ooops, forgot about one doe I shot with an Accubond and irons right after receiving the rifle back from the smith. Shoulder shot, short blood trail (10yds), but too much meat damage, no bullet recovered. I Much prefer the TSX!!

The recovered bullet was from the shoulder shot deer and was recovered approx. 12" deep into the hillside the deer was standing on! Expanded bullet measures about .780"....That's about 3/4" for those keeping score..grin!
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 11/02/10.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
ahhhh!! that is the blueprint i had in mind also... nice rig..

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well 6.5 i have had it for long time and got the syn. soon after getting it. allways on target never moved sence sighting it in. that bear, a few w-tail and a couple muledeer. by the way try shooting 158gr. pistol bullets with reduced load, great wabbit and fox getter.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
THAT is what I am talking about! Yes, a 20" compact SS looker, that gets the job done. Very Nice.

Domit, Ole Al Miller, Guns and Ammo and/or Shooting Times writer in the 70s I believe, praised the 'Fire Plug' I think as he called it, for being FAR more versatile than most recognize and give credit, 125/158s at 3000+ on vaporizing crows and varmints/yotes, up to 250 and I think 275 Tungsten Core GS for game like Cape Buffalo that it was tried on when released. Grizzlies, etc. no match either. A real 'do it all' rifle that had much more reach than many understood.

Xverminator, that is ONE rifle I could spend ALOT of time big game hunting, outstanding package! Considering your eyesight was fine out the box for irons, I'd say the 2.5x is not holding you back to bad in the interim! PM me first if you sell that down the road. Maybe something I could take to visit my cousin in Alaska....btw, what trigger? Thanks much for sharing/showing!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Fireplug" I believe was Jeff Coopers original .350/600 Scout Rifle that he took to Africa and shot Cape Buffalo with... He was not overly pleased with the results so he built a BIGGER gun in .460 G&A whose name escapes me at this moment.... ('Baby' maybe)

I have had/have five .350s....
1) 700 Classic with 1.5-5 Leupold for short range and a 3.5-10 Shepherd for long range. (sold)

2) 600 with 1.5-5 Leupold

3) Ruger 77MKII cut down to 18.25" with NECG open sights and 1.5-6 Tasco Titan

4) 660 barreled action which was to be bedded into a 600 Magnum stock I bought on eBay. Firearms44 finished the project and still has the gun.

5) Model Seven KS w/1.75-8 Leupold in QD rings.

The MKII when it wore a 1.5-5 Leupold and the 600...

[Linked Image]

Short story...was sitting in a creek bottom opening day in Pa. in 2006 when shooting on the other side of the creek started. A large doe escaped fire on the other side and ran right out of the bottom in front of me.
She was quartering toward me at about 25 yards and as I pulled the trigger she stopped dead causing me to swing by her. As I bolted in the second round she saw me and ran to my right...I swung with her again and this time rolled her like she had been hit by a truck at about 30 yards... She continued to thrash as I walked to her and as I was about to shoot her in the neck when she looked at me and the lights went out... Bullet was a 220 Speer FP with 60 grains of Win. 748. 2530 fps from the 18.5" barrel and 2660 from a 22".
She was angling across and the bullet hit her just under the backstraps about 1/2 way between the hips and the bottom of the ribs. Pealed a piece of skin/hair off about an inch wide and 6" long... Inside there was no blood... Butchered the deer out and found that the bullet never made it inside...no holes in anything... Deer died from blunt trauma shock to the spine... Total meat loss was some bruising to the right backstrap...that is it. I think that is why the deer was breakdancing for almost a minute before I got over to her.

Friend shot my 600 loved it and bought one of the Remington Retro 673s when they came out. He is a big black bear hunter. Ended up using the same Speed 220 on his first hunt with the rifle because the 225 Nosler Petitions we loaded up had some neck tension issues (since solved with a Lee Factory Crimp Die).

First bear shot with the 673 was a 285# boar...dropped on the spot. Bullet passed through the shoulder, lung through the heart and was found fully expanded on the far side of the chest under the skin....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Second bear was small..125# I think...dropped right there...

Third bear I was on the hunt with him and heard my friend shoot...#175 sow...put the bear on the ground but it was still alive so he shot her a second time just to stop the suffering...

[Linked Image]

He is so happy with the bullet he figures why pay $0.75 cents for a Nolser when a $0.25 Speer does the job...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep 2.5x is just fine for a rig like this, however this scope has a heavy duplex and combined with the rather small eyepiece of the Ultralight, severely limits it's "use-ability", IMO. This scope is intended for a 35 Rem lever gun......at which it will eventually excel!

Let's not forget that the .350 is very capable of taking BG at 400yds. For this .350 I intend to use a Lupy 1.5x5x20 illuminated reticle (30mm tube) and QD talleys to get the most from the cartridge and iron sight package.

As for the trigger, it currently has a worked over OEM but a Rifle Basics is what I have in mind..........The rifle is still a work in progress but has performed well none the less!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
AS RJM had mentioned, the Rem 660 barreled action was NIB with hang tag. He also had a 600 laminated stock which I also purchased from him. I have a Leupold M8 4X Matte to install on this rifle.
[Linked Image]
Rem Model 7 CDL mounted in a new synthetic take off Camo stock from a member here.
[Linked Image]
Next is a Rem KS mounted in a Model 7 synthetic stock. The original Camo glass stock was junk. Some day it will be in a Bansner.
[Linked Image]

Thanks to a campfire member I have another Rem KS headed my way from a sale on Gunsamerica. I've not got blood yet with the 350 mag because I'm too busy hunting my 5 other rifles in 358 Win. It's safe too say that I like the 35 caliber.

Ken

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great posts guys, if I ever grow weary of ballistic gack, I may just end up hunting more w/35s wink

No fuss, recoil tolerable to me, much more than a 7 Mag or larger, and less 'hi vel' meat loss, yet potent, and good short or zero blood trails. I was reluctant selling my buddy my Ruger 350 but afterall, he was the landowner where I hunted, so I felt sorta 'compelled'..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

Here's my 350 Rem Mag. It started life as a Pre64 M70 Featherweight in 358 Win. And someone decided to re-chamber it to 350 Rem Mag but to do this he put some work in it. HE obviously opened up the bolt face to accept the larger case but he also put in a '06 length magazine so you can load bullets out longer than in a short action. He had the sights removed and Mag Na Ported the barrel.

On the stock he selected a nice grade of wood and had a Nieder style checkered steel butt plate fitted to it. The real odd thing was that it had a full width benchrest style forend on it. Who would want to use a lightweight 350 as a bench gun? WHen I bought it I decided the forearm had to go so I ent it off to have the forearm trimmed down nice and all the checkering front and rear re-cut.

I only shot one deer with it using a handloaded 225gr Ballistic Tip and it flattened it real good!

The problem is that I just have to many guns so this one is for sale if anyone is interested. I also have brass and dies for it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

Here's the forearm after I had it re-contoured.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

"The problem is that I just have to many guns so this one is for sale if anyone is interested. I also have brass and dies for it."

..hey Ken...U out there... Ken has never seen a .350 he didn't like.... grin

Very beautiful rifle...how long is the barrel?

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,547
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.