Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I see them advertised from time to time. Gentry Custom as an example. Do they work? Are they quieter? What say you?
I have an injured rotator cuff...

Last edited by Gary O; 11/07/10.

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really don't see how it's physically possible? Quieter than other muzzle brakes, perhaps, but it's still going to be loud compared a normal barrel. With todays high tech recoil pads, and super bullets, that allow cartridges that what were once considered "too light" for big game, to be just fine.....I don't see the need for muzzle brakes. JMO.

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Never used one, but most guides/phs, etc., don't like them. Too loud for anybody standing to the side. Not trying to be a smart a**, but if you need a muzzle brake, go to a different caliber that you can handle.

maddog

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Gary, I don't have a Gentry but I do have 7 different kinds, they are all LOUD!

Some may ask, why do you use them. Well, I shoot tiny, tiny groups with those rifles off the bench out to 400 yards. If I take the muzzle breaks off, the tiny, tiny groups to to patterns.

This has been true of cartridges from 300WM, 7 Mag, on down.

I always use a set of electronic ear muffs when hunting, with or without a muzzle break. I can hear 3x better with the electronic ear muffs which adds significantly to the "Outdoor Experience" to say the least.

I would caution anyone from ever shooting a rifle with a BOSS or Muzzle break on it without some kind of ear protection.

Once you get used to using electronic ear muffs, you will feel "Blind" without them if you are hunting in thick wooded areas.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All are loud! As for PH's not liking them, I would suggest that you discuss this with your PH prior to the hunt. I did and it made his job noticably more comfortable. Also, observe all firearm safety rules to insure a safe and enjoyable adventure.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
IC B2

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a physical injury to my rotator cup that makes recoil above the .243 level impossible. Plus I am considering a plains game African safari. What I was hoping for is some decent counsel based on experience...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gary, shoulda said so, in the 1st place. What about a bolt action 30-06, of heavier weight and a mecury recoil reducer, put in the stock?

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
maddog,

pay attention. his first post mentioned the rotator cuff problem.

Jim

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You'll notice he also edited his original post at 12:20pm.

YOU pay attention

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Touche!

Jim

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had several different types of muzzle brakes. I think the Gentry is a little quieter for the shooter. Anyone along side is still going to get a lot of blast though. Could be I'm getting older and everything is getting quieter though.

Steve

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I only have a few rifles with brakes and remove the brakes for hunting. However, if I had a physical limitation that required a heavier cartridge I wouldn't hesitate to use a braked rifle to hunt. IME most initial shots at African game are well planned, with positioning of shooting sticks, shooter, trackers and PH involved. Although all this can be done quickly with pre-planning, your PH can position trackers and himself to avoid most/all of the muzzle blast, if they're prepared. If the situation goes downhill in a DG hunt and you need shots at incoming game muzzle blast from a brake is likely to be the least of the problems IMO.

So I'd say discuss with PH in advance and use the brake.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That sounds like a good plan to me.

The only other thing I would consider is shooting from the other shoulder (assuming it's not a 2 shoulder injury). Since my eye dominance is in opposition to my dominant hand, I've never had a problem shooting port.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Either that or stick with your 243 and put a Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad on it, if you don't have one on already. A well placed shot with a 105g Speer Spitzer at 3000 fps killed elk fine in Montana when I lived there in the 70s.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PH's ears are like everyone else's except possibly more damaged. They hate brakes just like any other person does that has to be next to one when at the range. But they are also in the business of making money and you are the client. They'll have no issue with them, they'll just jam their fingers in the ears a bit deeper and smile.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Gary O
I have a physical injury to my rotator cup that makes recoil above the .243 level impossible. Plus I am considering a plains game African safari. What I was hoping for is some decent counsel based on experience...

Gary...if I were you, I'd try & get JJ Hack's opinion on the .243 . He can give you answers from the operator side regarding the both muzzle brakes & caliber...hell he might even be able to book you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will likely see JJ later today, will ask him to look at this post and add input.

I am still in the camp of getting the 243 and loading it up with heavy TTSX's, then shooting very carefully like we all should do anyway.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by safariman
I am still in the camp of getting the 243 and loading it up with heavy TTSX's, then shooting very carefully like we all should do anyway.

I'd think the 85 gr. version would work very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Answers:

Quiet muzzle brakes
Military Intelligence
Humble naval aviators
Unicorns
Brilliant Crimson Tide fans

Question: Things know not to exist in the real world!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Humble? what is that????

PS: Naval Aviator is capitalized please... smile

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/07/10.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.