Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I've never known a fisherman or hunter that did not embelish the tail or tale each time he told it.

I guess I've seldom felt compelled to call someone out. When I sense that one has moved from embelishment to fantacy, I just pass over. After all...this is the internet.

Embellishment and tall tales are one thing.... Passing over fantasy on the Internet is fine. But when Ray's hunt offering exposes a potential client of his to Lacey Act violations, and the potential to be prosecuted under said act, then that is something else again.

Again, read the entire thread on AR and decide for yourself.

-Bob F.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by logcutter
I would like to know, other than whatever the Outfitter thing was.He has more real deal/life experience than 99.9% of anyone on this forum,including,me.

If he ever stumbles into something you actually know quite a bit about, you might find he actually knows next to nothing about it. Certainly, he might be an expert at some things, but he ain't quite the guy he thinks he is.

And along those lines, when the chips were down, he never did cowboy-up like he so often bragged he would. He's sort of a fair-weather blast of hot air.

I won't miss him.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So is he off the air on both forums?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So is he off the air on both forums?

His last/most recent post on AR was on Oct 14, 2010.

His last/most recent post here on the 24HCF was on Oct 8, 2010.

(This is as of the date and time of my post on here.)

-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by no_one
Originally Posted by SLM
That's alot of kangaroos. How much does a big kangaroo weigh and how do you hunt them?

Thanks.

No, it isn't....best night was 95....worst night 0.

Only allowed to shoot on properties that have a 121 issued for a specific number, species, date range and location.
Shoot any outside these parameters and all hell breaks loose.

All have to be head shot, at night under a spotlight.....failure to head shoot results in a aus $300.00 fine per offence.
Guaranteed to make you a good shot!!!!!

Always shot alone, as I was too bloody miserable to pay some sod to do what I could do myself.

There's one thing I have learned by hanging out on the Nitro Express forums (which is hosted by an Australian) since 2004... Our Australian friends are VERY serious about their hunting!

[Linked Image]

Cheers, mate! [Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Same to you Bob.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My favorite story that Ray ever posted (on AR) was the one where he and some mexican cowboys caught some wild cows and sewed there eyelids shut so they could be sold or moved.

Ray posted some hunts for muledeer that I could afford and was interested up to the point where he refused to provide any photo's of all the big deer that had been killed on the ranch according to Ray...hmmm.

I have said it before and will say it again I think its great that some of the guys here brought to my attention that Ray refused to show any photo's of animals killed on his leases.

Dink

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
To be honest Dink, I do not know anyone that carries a camera about with them.
Were I to pay for the privilege of hunting in some exotic clime I would most definitely have a camera to keep mementos of the trip, I would take none of the game shot as dead things in pictures do not really ring my bells.

If I were selling my services as a guide I would make sure that I had an album full of animals shot by clients.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget that Ray did provide a few pictures a few years back. The picture of the biggest deer "they" had ever killed was a buck killed by a friend of mine that had never heard of Ray Atkinson and Ray inflated the score by 30"! The other deer were killed by friends of mine that had never heard of Ray and were killed on a ranch that no client of Rays would ever hunt. These pictures are still on his website for anybody interested in seeing them.

Ray also advertised a buck that was poached in a closed county that was quite a distance from the ranch henwas trying to promote.

The problem with Ray is that you have outfitters that try to sell themselves to these booking agents and then the agents pimp these hunts to their clients so your essentially doubling the BS by the time you hear about it. Good booking agents are able to sift through the BS and advertise accordingly, Ray is incapable of doing this. Ray just exaggerates the hell out of those hunts. The sad part is that the hunts were priced right and provided a decent opportunity but Ray just killed it with his advertising practices.

And the 26" antelope he saw?!? WTF? He doesn't have a clue and some of you guys think he walks on water. It's yet more proof to the phrase "there's a sucker born every minute"

Drummond

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Think again, I do not think enough of anyone anywhere to think that they walk on water.

And the reason that I chat to you lot here is so I can flip the page when I get sick of you......walk on water, hardly.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think again, I do not think enough of anyone anywhere to think that they walk on water.

And the reason that I chat to you lot here is so I can flip the page when I get sick of you......walk on water, hardly.

no_one,

He can speak for himself, of course, but I don't think huntsonora's reply was directed to you personally. I think he was just making a post to everyone, in general.

-Bob F.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Then I apologise unreservedly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then I apologise unreservedly.

No worries bud! I didnt really direct that at any one person in particular and especially not at you.

Also, I'll trade you a mule deer hunt for a hunt in Australia if your interested! My girlfriend and I want to go and if I could squeeze in a hunt it would make the flight a lot more bearable grin

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I cannot afford to go anywhere....but if you came here, what do you have it in mind to hunt?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
so boss lady who really runs this site???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
I want to see pics of the kangaroos.

There you go!
2009 Trappers lic
[Linked Image]
2009 meat lic
[Linked Image]
1995 again
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1998 80 roo's
[Linked Image]
2009...I think
[Linked Image]
15 years of tags
[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/no_onehere/15yearsoftags.jpg[/img]
Oh,oh [bleep]
[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/no_onehere/Ohohsht.jpg[/img]
Oh [bleep]
[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/no_onehere/Ohsht.jpg[/img]

Neat pictures. what happened to get the truck into that predicament?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by logcutter
Originally Posted by ChipM
Jayco,

I go back posting with you to the old MarlinTalk. I have no dog in this fight but IMHO, Ray did seem to exaggerate a bit. He had some great lines and I used one for awhile, paraphrasing but the one that an animal is like a can of Coors was priceless.

Ray had many opportunities to defend himself and prove the naysayers wrong but never did. I don't know why but my guess is that he couldn't back it up.

I did enjoy his posts and would have loved to see the hunts, animals and firearms he spoke of but again, he never did.

I know a few guys like him that talk a good line and have some real world experience but like to embellish a bit and talk louder than others, because of a couple I have a disdain for the 270 Winchester that I have to get over. crazy

The last thing is I enjoy posts by Phil Shoemaker, Steve Timm, JB, Dober, Big Stick(needs a better way to deliver his message), etc as they talk well and back up what they say in words, photos, etc. No hit, but Ray is not even on the same playing field, again IMHO

Chip

I wasn't going to reply to anymore post until I read yours.I do remember you and your a fair guy with a level head and I take what you post with interest and the belief you believe it.

I was born in Idaho to a family of packers and names come down year after year you remember.At one time Ray was well thought of here in Idaho as a person.Maybe it all changed or he is as bad as me at putting words to the keyboard.

I was not trying to start a riot,just asking why...I doubt there are any that can tell me Jack's favorite packer in Idaho.I new the man and loved to hell the stories of Jack and others as stories go..Sadly he passed away last summer and will be missed along with his stories..

The guy that was with me on my first Elk just got his 18th in a row at 85 years old...A man to listen too and learn..Seems most here already know it all so I am pizzin in the wind but never forget,I still have a lot to learn and listen to those with more than I have..

The rest is easy to figure out if you have any experience at all.

Jayco

Jayco,

Like you, I value others experiences and respect my elders, it was how I was brought up. I believe as some others have commented, where Ray went over the edge is that he is doing this to make money. I don't know much about Africa, except what I read but it seemed what he was selling could have put a guy spending his hard earned money, in alot of trouble with the law.

Best regards.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a hunting site is going to be full of BS, and it would be sad if Ray turned out to be a crook. Just as bad is the concept that all he posted was BS borrowed or stolen from someone else. He gives the impression of being a older gentlemen that has hunted all of his life, owns his own spread, and very knowledgeable. I guess on the internet anyone can be anything if they are a good enough liar! Oldman/bosslady the question to you is who in your opinion runs this site??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BFaucett
There's one thing I have learned by hanging out on the Nitro Express forums (which is hosted by an Australian) since 2004... Our Australian friends are VERY serious about their hunting!

Yep. Love to see those shots of stuff outside the North America / Afirca norm

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I've never known a fisherman or hunter that did not embelish the tail or tale each time he told it.

I guess I've seldom felt compelled to call someone out. When I sense that one has moved from embelishment to fantacy, I just pass over. After all...this is the internet.

Embellishment and tall tales are one thing.... Passing over fantasy on the Internet is fine. But when Ray's hunt offering exposes a potential client of his to Lacey Act violations, and the potential to be prosecuted under said act, then that is something else again.

Again, read the entire thread on AR and decide for yourself.

-Bob F.

Fair enough

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 58 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,364
Posts18,527,270
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.