Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by no_one
Originally Posted by logcutter

If you have more Hunting experience than Ray...Speak up...

Jayco

Jesus Log, can I play?

Not what you fellows call hunting, but.....how about three years shooting rabbits for a living and fifteen years shooting kangaroo's as a Professional Trapper licenced (PT o5395) by the National Parks and Wildlife Service in New South Wales, Australia.
The last twelve of which were for human consumption.

My point being........anyone can have done anything anywhere, at anytime.....it is a hard thing to pick, particularly from words on a monitor.

Ps, and unlike some......would you like me to post pics?

I've been guiding trophy Jackelope hunts in Southern Idaho for 5 years.
Beat that...
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ray was last seen riding off into the sunset with Belk and DFC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
some may remember but about 5 years ago ray got ran off the AR forums when another deal blew up, the same pattern happened in that case instead of just admitting it was a bad deal and trying to make it right, he dug himself in so deep that in the end he was buried. the bad thing about that deal was someone did pay money and lost it.

some people mention it as the sheephunter event on the AR forums. what ray did was lie low for a year or 2 then come back when the dust settled.

those who are defending ray need to realize there is such thing as history, also keep in mind most people that have really done all the stuff ray claims to have, don't brag about it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have no dog in the fight, but unfortunately there are some on the Fire that are real easy to criticize. They never broke a game law even if it involved checking a waterfowl field 2 miles away on private property that was baited & they arrived with a guide in the morning before dawn. Then there are those that have vast areas to hunt in the West, Canada, or Alaska so if you hunt different STFU. On the topic of Ray I suspect he has embellished a tale or two, perhaps even fabricated stories, & been guilty of not exploring every detail of a hunt he had for sale. I had a booking business many years ago & its a very difficult way to earn a buck. I assisted a friend in obtaining a hunt with Ray several years ago. When I checked The Hunting Report & SCI I was not able to find a single complaint. There are many diligent booking agents that for one reason or the other have had complaints filed about them. There does seem to be a pack that follows Ray around the net & despite never having hunted with him post everything negative possible. Most of us don't have the time to pursue personal vendettas.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
remember its not the mistake that is the problem, its the cover up

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I am sure Ray is a nice guy with a wealth of experience. BUT I think it is safe to say he also has a rather large ego and he does like to yarn things up just a tad bit from time to time. I think he got backed into a corner and lost his cool.............not too good for business or reputations when that happens. Lotsa people talk a good game through their keyboard trick is to be able to tell who has the most honest and upstanding keyboard. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear
I have no dog in the fight, but unfortunately there are some on the Fire that are real easy to criticize. They never broke a game law even if it involved checking a waterfowl field 2 miles away on private property that was baited & they arrived with a guide in the morning before dawn. Then there are those that have vast areas to hunt in the West, Canada, or Alaska so if you hunt different STFU. On the topic of Ray I suspect he has embellished a tale or two, perhaps even fabricated stories, & been guilty of not exploring every detail of a hunt he had for sale. I had a booking business many years ago & its a very difficult way to earn a buck. I assisted a friend in obtaining a hunt with Ray several years ago. When I checked The Hunting Report & SCI I was not able to find a single complaint. There are many diligent booking agents that for one reason or the other have had complaints filed about them. There does seem to be a pack that follows Ray around the net & despite never having hunted with him post everything negative possible. Most of us don't have the time to pursue personal vendettas.

Big difference between embellishing a bit, and advertising hunts using animals taken by other folks on ranches you don't have hunts on. Or advertising hunts using photos of a buck that had been poached.
I reckon if someone was making money by selling hunts using photos of a buckI took without anything to do with them(Ray), well I would be pretty pissed off. Yeah I would tend to follow that around some.

I don't know Ray, and I have never dealt with him. I can say though that if the things that Drummond and others have brought up are true, I can't repect the man. Ray has been challenged a number of times, and other than get all blustered up he has not offfered and explanation or evidence to the contrary.

I am curious about the "sheep hunter" thing as I have never heard of it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I am curious why they sewed the eyes partially shut on the long horns?
I have heard of splitting the tongue of a crow.
And I have seen frost bitten parts, and I have heard of docking tails, notching ears, splitting waddles and bleaching the hides of cattle, but never had to sew an eye shut.
Must be a texas thing?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Then there are those that have vast areas to hunt in the West, Canada, or Alaska so if you hunt different STFU.

STFU...?

Ray represents 90% of the outfitters out there who are nothing but crooked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, after pages of the usual 'back and forth' on the man, I'm still wondering what 'fried' means in this context, and if he has in fact been 'fried'.

Last edited by deadkenny; 11/09/10.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A little off topic....

My FIL got a really nice deer around Alpine Wy, and was quite proud of it, proud enough to have a wallet size print he carries everywhere he goes....

So he was at the Sacramento sportsman show 10 or so years ago, and was thumbing through a guide's book, and guess what picture he happened to find? Being busy, the guy behind the counter broke stride of a conversation with a potential client to answer the question " are all of these pictures of hunts you personally guided" and of course the reply was Yep.

So my FIL says "all be darned, I didn't know you were guiding me when I killed this buck" and as the guide turns he see's the photo my FIL tossed on the counter, then looked up and realized the guy in the photo book holding said muley was my FIL.....

So being who he is, my FIL rips the picture of him and his buck out of the guide's book and walks away. He found out his cousin gave the guide the picture .... so be wary of guides who wish to trump up their ego's, and strictly use guides who give several references of non-slick talkers who are friends or paid to talk a good talk....

I have seen talk of Ray's trumped up kills, but never cared as I have no inkling of using a guide ( in the US) at this time in my life.

Allen

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SU35
Ray was last seen riding off into the sunset with Belk and DFC.

I bet there aren't too many that remember DFC and the "Gold Coin" debacle.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hell, I just figured he'd gone hunting with Fox.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well Damn it, after SIX pages is he "FRIED" ?

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cigar

To summarize, Mr. Atkinson has stated that he will no longer post on any internet blog following what he feels was ill treatment on another internet site. Specifically see the AR thread mentioned earlier.

The other point of veiw is that he got caught trying to sell an illegal poaching hunt on AR and they nailed him to the wall for it. He wisely has chosen not to show his face there again since.

I think that might somewhat cover both sides of the issue......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by djpaintless

To summarize, Mr. Atkinson has stated that he will no longer post on any internet blog following what he feels was ill treatment on another internet site. Specifically see the AR thread mentioned earlier.

......................DJ

I have never seen him post on a net "blog"-just Forums.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62

......................DJ

I have never seen him post on a net "blog"-just Forums.

"This is my last post on any internet blog"....Ray Atkinson

His words not mine....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Cigar

The other point of veiw is that he got caught trying to sell an illegal poaching hunt on AR and they nailed him to the wall for it. He wisely has chosen not to show his face there again since.

I think that might somewhat cover both sides of the issue......................DJ

Thank you ...

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by Shortmag
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
What does kangaroo taste like?

Chicken

Glen

To my taste, it was more like deer than anything. Very lean and hard to cook unmarinated without searing the outside and leaving the inside bloody. Took awhile to get the hang of it; it's a dense meat, but very tasty and went well with a red wine marinade.

I've eaten quite a bit of it also. It is dense and to me it tastes closest to Pronghorn.

Jim
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by mcknight77
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by Shortmag
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
What does kangaroo taste like?

Chicken

Glen

To my taste, it was more like deer than anything. Very lean and hard to cook unmarinated without searing the outside and leaving the inside bloody. Took awhile to get the hang of it; it's a dense meat, but very tasty and went well with a red wine marinade.

I've eaten quite a bit of it also. It is dense and to me it tastes closest to Pronghorn.

Okay, so what are the immigration laws for Oz again?

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,340
Posts18,526,828
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.