-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So tired of hearing about this on sports talk shows. Here locally in Alabama you would think there is absolutely nothing else going on in the world of sports.

I'm a Bama fan and really hope all of these charges are proved false fairly quick. It just takes so much away from the game. I'm afraid though this will be a very drawn out investigation that may or may not prove anything, all the while the kid is getting blasted in the media wether he is guilty or not.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also...here's the story alleging the cheating, which says:

The source said Newton was to appear for a hearing in front of Florida�s Student Conduct Committee during the spring semester of 2009 but instead transferred to Blinn College.

The committee could have levied sanctions against Newton that included suspension and expulsion from the university.

�He knew that he was facing a bad outcome,� the source said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...wton-left-Florida-after-cheating-scandal

I don't know how to read that any way other than the Student Conduct Committee already had charges to consider. Other sources cited in the one I posted deny any charges.

Last edited by .280Rem; 11/10/10.

War Damn Eagle!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It wasn't three years ago, it was less than 2 years ago.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/01/exclusive-qb-ca.html

Numerous factors played into the decision to leave, Cecil said, including playing time and the search for a fresh start after a November arrest for allegedly stealing a student�s laptop and throwing it out of his dorm window.

after facing three felony counts for the arrest. Newton is expected to be treated as a first-time offender with at least one charge dropped, according to a source.

Sounds like they had trouble proving the theft so they stuck with the possession and whatever throwing out the window is? Destroying evidence? Doesn't mean he didn't steal it, only that they could only prove he had it, knew it was stolen and attempted to hide the fact.

You know as well as I, that transferring to JC when you've already qualified, are at a major program like UF and are considered a highly sought after recruit, is very rare unless one has reason to believe no one will touch you. If you just received stolen property and have zero other issues, that's not going to scare off other suitors.

[Linked Image]

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd simply be curious to see how Cecil Newton's church went so recently from being "broke and about to be condemned" to "newly renovated" ...

I'll sit on the sidelines and say nothing until evidence is presented either way ... but there's a good bit of stuff floating out there, which usually means something ... just what, I don't know.

If none of this is true, then someone must have a serious axe to grind with the Newton family to have orchestrated all these different allegations that appear to be coming from separate, independent sources as well as known individuals like Bond and Rodgers ...

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 444Matt
So tired of hearing about this on sports talk shows. Here locally in Alabama you would think there is absolutely nothing else going on in the world of sports.

I'm a Bama fan and really hope all of these charges are proved false fairly quick. It just takes so much away from the game. I'm afraid though this will be a very drawn out investigation that may or may not prove anything, all the while the kid is getting blasted in the media wether he is guilty or not.

Yep, and since you can't prove a negative...Cam will always be considered guilty by some regardless.

BTW, if Cam and his dad were on the market...[bleep] em both...if Auburn is ever found to have paid, then Auburn deserves whatever it gets.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM
I'd simply be curious to see how Cecil Newton's church went so recently from being "broke and about to be condemned" to "newly renovated" ...

I'll sit on the sidelines and say nothing until evidence is presented either way ... but there's a good bit of stuff floating out there, which usually means something ... just what, I don't know.

If none of this is true, then someone must have a serious axe to grind with the Newton family to have orchestrated all these different allegations that appear to be coming from separate, independent sources as well as known individuals like Bond and Rodgers ...

I think this schitbag Kenny Rogers tried to broker a deal on his own then get the Newtons to accept it. Get his alma mater a good QB, and make him a profit in the process...when Bond reported it, the deal went sour, and ended there. Meaning no money trail, and nothing but "he said, he said" in the end.

War Damn Eagle!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Also, in my admittedly biased eyes, the fact that Bob Stoops has stated there were no issues with Cam's recruitment at OU tells me that if there's any smoke or fire causing it, it's in Starkville, MS and a problem related to one of their rogue alum, not Cecil Newton selling his son to the highest bidder.

280Rem, if Bob Stoops said anything but that, I would be shocked. Ain't no HC in a BCS program wants anything to do with this kinda stink. Even if this Rogers cat approached Bob Stoops and said "I want $50k", Stoops never heard that conversation...ever.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The only thing I find humorous is how folks will stand behind 'news' articles/reports when it aligns with their preconceived notions and then damn the same 'liberal' press when said articles run counter of persons notions.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that still doesn't address how Cecil Newton's church seemingly came into a LOT of money very quickly, right about the same time that Cam ended up back in D1 football at AU ...

that's my main point ... SOMETHING went on there ... just what, and who's involved, and whether or not it can ever be proven is a completely different story ...

I don't think it passes the "smell test", but then again I can't prove anything either ... but, the whole "walks like a duck, quacks like a duck" thing does come to mind ...

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Foxbat
It wasn't three years ago, it was less than 2 years ago.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/01/exclusive-qb-ca.html

Numerous factors played into the decision to leave, Cecil said, including playing time and the search for a fresh start after a November arrest for allegedly stealing a student�s laptop and throwing it out of his dorm window.

after facing three felony counts for the arrest. Newton is expected to be treated as a first-time offender with at least one charge dropped, according to a source.

Sounds like they had trouble proving the theft so they stuck with the possession and whatever throwing out the window is? Destroying evidence? Doesn't mean he didn't steal it, only that they could only prove he had it, knew it was stolen and attempted to hide the fact.

You know as well as I, that transferring to JC when you've already qualified, are at a major program like UF and are considered a highly sought after recruit, is very rare unless one has reason to believe no one will touch you. If you just received stolen property and have zero other issues, that's not going to scare off other suitors.

Ok, you got it nailed. I see now where the likes of Thayer Evans find their market.

Last edited by .280Rem; 11/10/10.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't really have much of an opinion as to whether he is innocent/guilty regarding all these allegations, as I really don't care. It does seem a bit goofy to me, however, that all of a sudden multiple allegations are being presented. Seems a little fishy to me.

The biggest thing that's starting to get on my nerves is that everyday it seems someone is making a new allegation/claim. Someone is clearly, and terribly wrong over this whole ordeal, whether it be the Newtons or the media, Mississippi State, or whoever. I personally hope the Newtons are in the clear, as it does nothing for the sport if they are in the wrong. However, if the Newtons did do something illegal, I'd hope they would just admit to it and disappear from college football.

I may be one of the few to feel this way, but I'm all for LaMichael James for the Heisman Trophy. In my opinion, I think he is the most deserving of the award this season. By far a more electrifying player than Cam Newton. Then again, I hate that the Heisman has pretty much become an All-QB award as of late.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I don't really have much of an opinion as to whether he is innocent/guilty regarding all these allegations, as I really don't care. It does seem a bit goofy to me, however, that all of a sudden multiple allegations are being presented. Seems a little fishy to me.

The biggest thing that's starting to get on my nerves is that everyday it seems someone is making a new allegation/claim. Someone is clearly, and terribly wrong over this whole ordeal, whether it be the Newtons or the media, Mississippi State, or whoever. I personally hope the Newtons are in the clear, as it does nothing for the sport if they are in the wrong. However, if the Newtons did do something illegal, I'd hope they would just admit to it and disappear from college football.

I may be one of the few to feel this way, but I'm all for LaMichael James for the Heisman Trophy. In my opinion, I think he is the most deserving of the award this season. By far a more electrifying player than Cam Newton. Then again, I hate that the Heisman has pretty much become an All-QB award as of late.

Debate all day who is more electrifying. It's an opinion.

But just to be clear, you're talking about this LaMichael James?

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/stor...s-in-jail-24/ksR--83tjUShtCpM9J_cmw.cspx

Eugene (KMTR) � University of Oregon football player LaMichael James has been sentenced for harassment.

In a Lane County Circuit Court hearing Friday morning, James was sentenced to serve 10 days in jail, with credit for one day already served, 24 months of probation and he is to have no contact with the victim.

After processing, captains at the jail said Friday that James qualified to serve his time being monitored with an electronic bracelet.

James had previously pleaded not guilty to charges arising from an altercation with a woman outside his apartment last month. At the time, James was arrested on charges of strangulation, assault and harassment.

In court Friday morning, he agreed to change his plea to guilty on one count of harassment. The other charges were dropped.

In court, James apologized, saying the victim bears no responsibility for the incident.

�I am so sorry that she has been treated by some people as though she deserved blame for this. She does not. I ask people to treat her with respect. She has not done anything wrong," James said.

Coach Chip Kelly announced Friday afternoon that James will get a one-game suspension.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought pretty much anyone who has followed any inkling of college football the past year knew of those charges against James, and he is guilty as charged. By far, he's not a model citizen, though he has been punished both criminally by courts and by his team. He's served his athletic punishment (1 game suspension), and is currently on probation I believe.

I personally applaud Chip Kelly and the Oregon program for not putting up with players crap and suspending or dismissing players when and where they see fit. They took care of Blount last season, and he booted Masoli's sorry ass prior to this season.

I'm well aware it's just an opinion about who should be the Heisman winner, and that's mine. I highly doubt I'll be changing that anytime soon, either.

It just seems fishy to me than all of this stuff seems to pop out of nowhere all of a sudden regarding Newton, and I'm honestly a bit unsure of what to make of it. Doesn't seem to be enough evidence for either side, yet.

A reporter on ESPN said it best, I think: "Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. And right now, there is a heckuva lot of smoke around Cam Newton."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM
that still doesn't address how Cecil Newton's church seemingly came into a LOT of money very quickly, right about the same time that Cam ended up back in D1 football at AU ...

that's my main point ... SOMETHING went on there ... just what, and who's involved, and whether or not it can ever be proven is a completely different story ...

I don't think it passes the "smell test", but then again I can't prove anything either ... but, the whole "walks like a duck, quacks like a duck" thing does come to mind ...

Cecil Newton has turned over the financial records of his churches to the SEC/NCAA.

War Damn Eagle!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim ... I know that Cecil has done that ...

But people give donations to churches all the time, anonymously ... If one Sunday there was a $200K donation to the church during the service, that would be very obvious ... but lots of smaller donations over time - anonymously - would be damn near impossible to track because there would be no records of them anyway.

All I'm getting at is that the story I was told, is that the church was about to be condemned for numerous code violations that had existed for some time, and Cecil Newton had not shown any signs of finding any money to correct said violations ... then, all of a sudden, the church is getting some high-dollar renovations to bring it up to code, as well as make other improvements beyond simple code requirements.

If that story is wrong, and you know the real story, please let me know because I don't have a source for anything other than what I just posted that I heard. But if what I heard is true, wouldn't you admit that's just as "fishy" as anything else?

-WGM-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Foxbat, did you attend college?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by bxroads
Foxbat, did you attend college?

Yes.

Did you?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did but got kicked out for cheating.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM
Jim ... I know that Cecil has done that ...

But people give donations to churches all the time, anonymously ... If one Sunday there was a $200K donation to the church during the service, that would be very obvious ... but lots of smaller donations over time - anonymously - would be damn near impossible to track because there would be no records of them anyway.

All I'm getting at is that the story I was told, is that the church was about to be condemned for numerous code violations that had existed for some time, and Cecil Newton had not shown any signs of finding any money to correct said violations ... then, all of a sudden, the church is getting some high-dollar renovations to bring it up to code, as well as make other improvements beyond simple code requirements.

If that story is wrong, and you know the real story, please let me know because I don't have a source for anything other than what I just posted that I heard. But if what I heard is true, wouldn't you admit that's just as "fishy" as anything else?

Certainly acknowledge the suspicion it would raise. I guess you acknowledge that if done the way you say, and it can't be proved, then some will always say it was just well hidden, and others will defend it?

I don't have anything on that handy...I'll try to find it, but I think that in time, the money for this church showed up before any of the alleged issues at MSU ever happened. But again, I don't have that information.

Bottom line is that we know Cam had a stolen laptop 3 years ago, and he was charged and treated like others.

After that, we have unnamed sources coming out, from 2 schools...one that lost Cam to transfer, and one that lost the 2nd recruiting battle with him. This was reported by MSU to the SEC in January...meaning, as I understand the time line, they continued to recruit him amid these "alleged solicitations" then "reported them" after he committed to Auburn. I know that both Bond and Rogers are widely considered slimy pieces of schit...and I've met Rogers and can confirm that as to him. Don't know if you're old enough to remember Bond's playing days at MSU in the early 80s...I am. Real maverick type...long hair, outspoken, always "rumored in mischief"...even said the other day on a radio show "I'm glad the internet wasn't around during my recruitment". If you saw the ESPN thing last night on Marcus Dupree, then you know what it was like then (early 80s).

All I ask is someone show me the smoking gun...let me hear these supposed taped calls. What you have now, is many making their suppositions like Foxbat is...couching it as "the intelligent logic based on the allegations, and one known indiscretion".

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe he got three strikes on the cheating front before it wound up in a hearing.

A classmate of mine in college used a grey area on an exam in the computer GIS lab when the professor said we could use all online resources and he had someone email him the test.

He was booted from the university. End of story.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 14 invisible), 825 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.