SU

Good post..Seriously!![Linked Image]

Jayco

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Man,theirs a ton of watchers, just listening, yet unwilling to jump into a fire and get bashed as the net does by 50 year olds knowing more than almost 80 years olds,both doing the same thing but the older longer.

I respect my elders, and I value the experience of others. But will you acknowledge that it's in the realm of possibility that thirty years of experience could be one year thirty times over?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do know Ray and visited with him at his home as well as at various SCI shows. He is not a rich man nor a crook but someone who thought he could moonlight some as a booking agent and maybe parlay that into some good hunting. There are a lot of folks doing that part time and from my experience Ray was a lot more honest and trust worthy than most of those. Like most older honest folks Ray tended to take folks at face value - so if some outfitter told Ray he had numerous world record trophy's on his place- Ray would believe him. I know he got burned on a few African deals due to this tendency.

Just as there are numerous crooked booking agents in the business taking advantage of both hunters and guides, there are crooked outfitters who take advantage of agents and hunters.

Sure Ray liked the attention he got from this forum - who of us honestly doesn't ? - and he may have embellished some things - that is also a common theme here - but he really does have a lot of experience and knowledge.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd never judge a man till i got to know him personally myself

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I'd never judge a man till i got to know him personally myself

Agreed.
Ray lives just down the road from me. I have never met the man personally, but I hear good things about him from the locals.
FWIW.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Let he is without sin.....

I tend to stay out of these things. I don't know Ray. Have had a nice personal response from him once. This board is a pleasant diversion. It saddens me when things go down the crapper for any-one. Maybe this thread has run it's course?

Last edited by North61; 11/10/10.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
I do know Ray and visited with him at his home as well as at various SCI shows. He is not a rich man nor a crook but someone who thought he could moonlight some as a booking agent and maybe parlay that into some good hunting. There are a lot of folks doing that part time and from my experience Ray was a lot more honest and trust worthy than most of those. Like most older honest folks Ray tended to take folks at face value - so if some outfitter told Ray he had numerous world record trophy's on his place- Ray would believe him. I know he got burned on a few African deals due to this tendency.

Just as there are numerous crooked booking agents in the business taking advantage of both hunters and guides, there are crooked outfitters who take advantage of agents and hunters.

Sure Ray liked the attention he got from this forum - who of us honestly doesn't ? - and he may have embellished some things - that is also a common theme here - but he really does have a lot of experience and knowledge.

I booked a hunt through Ray and it was as advertised. I think that a lot of people just look to discredit Ray for any reason or no reason

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know a few old guys that are probably alot like Ray.
Never met Ray but the guys I know are old cowboys/ranchers who have been known to bullchit a little bit.

Fun listening to their stories and a guy certainly can learn something as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I know a few old guys that are probably alot like Ray.
Never met Ray but the guys I know are old cowboys/ranchers who have been known to bullchit a little bit.

Fun listening to their stories and a guy certainly can learn something as well.

I here what you are saying Sam but a little ole BS ceases to be "a little ole BS" when $35,000 is involved.......................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DJ, I didn't read the entire thread and missed the part about somebody getting screwed out of $35k.

Fraud and misrepresentation obviously ain't cool.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So did Ray cheat you out of $35K - or the outfitter?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nobdoy got screwed out of 35,000 dollars

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Who's Nobdoy?

Sounds like a Dutchman.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There seems to be 2-3 folks that seem to have an axe to grind regards Ray. Why I don't know.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ray sent me on my first trip to Africa and I had a wonderful time with zero issues.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Who's Nobdoy?

Sounds like a Dutchman.

How about no one, zilch, nota, none, etc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Phil,

Good post. Thanks for posting that.

Most sincerely,
-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So did Ray cheat you out of $35K - or the outfitter?

Originally Posted by Atkinson
10 days, 4 bull elephants and 4 bull buffalo, price is all inclusive at $35,00. Tips are optional. Includes everything, trophy fees, pick up and delivery to airport,daily rate, whatever..Hunt is in Gokwe area.

OK to be specific Ray offered this hunt for $35,000. Real outfitters from the area he mentioned jumped all over it and said that this was misrepresented. No-one took the hunt after the firestorm. So noone ended up losing $35,000 to Ray along with a possible stay in an African Prison for an illegal hunt.

In fairness to Ray I want to say that I don't think for a second that he was actually trying to directly screw someone out of $35,000. I think what happened is that he did NOT provide Due diligence and properly research what he was trying to get someone to spend $35,000 on. But in the end if someone had taken him up on the offer the end results might have been the same.

Trust is something that takes a long time to gain and an instant to lose.............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
JWP did you go on a muledeer hunt or something else?

Dink

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Whitetail hunt in Texas

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, Allen Martin, 10 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,481
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.