J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

He's guilty, Auburn forfeits all games and LSU is now 9-0 Hurray

BTW, he can have the Heisman

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My take on it is that this is just sour grapes on MS State's part.

They really wanted this guy and Cam pretty much said he was on board with going to Starkville. Daddy comes in and says "I don't think so". Fast forward a ways and Cam is having an amazing season and despite what Mullen has done for State's program folks can't help but wonder "what if?" in regard to Newton being on the team. Feelings get hurt, someone gets mad and the hair starts to fly.

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure all major programs "cheat" in regards to landing certain athletes. I wish no one did but I don't think that will ever be a reality.

I really appreciate the irony with of all this happening while the latest episode of ESPN's 30 for 30 aired, a piece about Marcus DuPree. Highly coveted player, reneged on initial commitment and had a pastor/mentor running the show for him.

Nail

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by .280Rem

I'm more concerned about Auburn University than Cam, or the Heisman. Folks trying to take Cam down, would love to see Auburn in trouble too. It's not the Heisman, but that was mentioned here...you made it an issue I think. As long as Cam is eligible to play, and it seems he is, and will be, then everything else should work itself out. Clearly, knowing that Auburn knew about this in January, tells me that someone else, someone with an axe to grind, timed this release of information that is months old to coincide with Auburn's home stretch run.

Well, if you were looking for someone that might benefit... who's most likely to be playing Auburn in the SECCG? which just happens to be the same alleged source of the cheating issue.

There is a rumor out there though, that Cam had a girlfriend that felt a little jilted... which would make this less conspiratorial.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
All I know is Chene Gizik is tired of all this "garbage".

In his second life he will certainly be a pastor/mentor to the downtrodden black althlete.....

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Certainly acknowledge the suspicion it would raise. I guess you acknowledge that if done the way you say, and it can't be proved, then some will always say it was just well hidden, and others will defend it?

I totally agree with you ... suspicions will abound, unless/until someone can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Newton and his family didn't engage in anything illegal re: recruiting and/or his eligibility.

We both know that in instances like this, it really doesn't matter what cheating goes on unless you can PROVE it ... and we both know that ALL universities break recruiting violations every year. But again, it's about being able to prove it that determines whether or not anything is done about it.

My opinion, for what it's worth (not much), is that Newton's family got paid by someone, somehow ... but being able to prove it is likely not going to happen - and Auburn knows that - or at least is pretty damn sure there's no way to prove it ... and that's why they have no problem with Cam being on the team, and are not worried about this (at least that's how they would have it appear to be) ...

a 'for instance' ... OJ Simpson was found not guilty in the double murder case ... but that doesn't mean that everyone thinks he didn't do it. That's kinda what I'm getting at here ... I think Newton got paid, and was involved in things that would result in him being ineligible should they be proven ...

but the way it appears now, it won't be proven, and it's just going to smear his name a bit until time erodes it away ...

-WGM-
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nail

They really wanted this guy and Cam pretty much said he was on board with going to Starkville. Daddy comes in and says "I don't think so". Fast forward a ways and Cam is having an amazing season and despite what Mullen has done for State's program folks can't help but wonder "what if?" in regard to Newton being on the team. Feelings get hurt, someone gets mad and the hair starts to fly.

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure all major programs "cheat" in regards to landing certain athletes. I wish no one did but I don't think that will ever be a reality.

I really appreciate the irony with of all this happening while the latest episode of ESPN's 30 for 30 aired, a piece about Marcus DuPree. Highly coveted player, reneged on initial commitment and had a pastor/mentor running the show for him.

Nail

I watched that last night too. It was pretty much anything goes back in the day it seems. When I heard that Ole Miss recruiter relay that he'd told his AD it would take $150K to get Dupree, I thought, "schit, that's 1982 dollars, and Cam was going cheap at $180K in 2010".

What I liked about one of the OU coaches...he said something to the effect of "if one school was offering this, you had to find something more to offer to beat them" and not "you got to run tell on them". Now I don't condone the cheating...but there was sort of an unspoken truce then...and as long as you were "within the normal window" you were ok with all the other coaches.

What's sad is that all these elite athletes have folks hanging on trying to profit off them for doing absolutely nothing but knowing them, including blood kin willing to sell them out.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder what this must be doing to Newton's ability to concentrate on winning football games. The whole "scandal" has a sour grapes/vendetta smell about it, but who knows.

But if the kid screws the pooch in the SEC title game and Oregon loses, and LSU wins out.....the BCS will put the Mad Hatter in the NC game, cementing his reputation as the luckiest human on the planet.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nail

Nail

I watched that last night too. It was pretty much anything goes back in the day it seems. When I heard that Ole Miss recruiter relay that he'd told his AD it would take $150K to get Dupree, I thought, "schit, that's 1982 dollars, and Cam was going cheap at $180K in 2010".

What I liked about one of the OU coaches...he said something to the effect of "if one school was offering this, you had to find something more to offer to beat them" and not "you got to run tell on them". Now I don't condone the cheating...but there was sort of an unspoken truce then...and as long as you were "within the normal window" you were ok with all the other coaches.

What's sad is that all these elite athletes have folks hanging on trying to profit off them for doing absolutely nothing but knowing them, including blood kin willing to sell them out.

I don't think I even knew what football was when the whole DuPree thing happened, so it was very much news/intriguing to me.

Man, that kid was a stud! It was kind of like watching highlights of Herschel Walker from his Georgia days. Just terrible the way the whole ordeal played out though, even with the semi-happy ending.

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not to mention that he is a pretty good coach as well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I wonder what this must be doing to Newton's ability to concentrate on winning football games. The whole "scandal" has a sour grapes/vendetta smell about it, but who knows.

But if the kid screws the pooch in the SEC title game and Oregon loses, and LSU wins out.....the BCS will put the Mad Hatter in the NC game, cementing his reputation as the luckiest human on the planet.

Oregon will drop at least one...

And, I think the Iron Bowl will be rather interesting (putting it mildly) this year.

Miles may get a shot, again.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe sour grapes but what does Miss. State have to gain? No one knows but if it was sour grapes I would think it would be originiating from a school that could benefit from his ineligibility or Auburn forfeiting.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NathanL
Maybe sour grapes but what does Miss. State have to gain? No one knows but if it was sour grapes I would think it would be originiating from a school that could benefit from his ineligibility or Auburn forfeiting.

Like maybe a school that still stands a chance of going to Atlanta...a school where MSU's coach used to coach...a school where Cam used to play...a school where the coach looks like a fool for letting Cam go? Some school like that?

What I've seen nobody say here is that it's been reported (like all the other reports here...unnamed sources) that Meyer, Mullen, and Bond had a 3 way call, where Meyer urged this to be disclosed publicly.

Then again, it's also being speculated that MSU believes it may have NCAA problems, and may be trying to get this out to make themselves look above board. Bottom line...like all the rest, it's rumor, innuendo, and speculation.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope they figure it out one way or the other pretty quick. I'd hate to see him be tainted with accusations if there is nothing to back them up. If he's guilty, then he'd have to pay the price.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who's Oregon going to lose to ?

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No one in the regular season, I'm betting...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sgt217
No one in the regular season, I'm betting...

+1

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Many believe Urban Meyer is behind the controversy.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
Many believe Urban Meyer is behind the controversy.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's funny thatmost of the fans from Auburn don't care whether any of this is true or not, but maybe I'd feel the same way if it was an Arkansas kid.

It's not shocking that there is a pay to play scandal going on in college football. It happens at a lot of schools, Auburn is just one of those unlucky ones to have been caught before.

What bothers me more than the pay to play is the stealing of another students paper. It's one thing to buy one and put your name on it, but to take someone elses and put your name on shows a lot about your character. I guess he didn't care that the student would receive a zero for not turning in a paper.

Another thing that bothers me is why do 5 star athletes use the services of an agent to get them a scholarship with schools that are already recruiting them? Who's paying the agent and what are they paying him for? Auburn has several 5 stars that came to them through an agent. Why?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Another thing that bothers me is why do 5 star athletes use the services of an agent to get them a scholarship with schools that are already recruiting them? Who's paying the agent and what are they paying him for? Auburn has several 5 stars that came to them through an agent. Why?

Maybe to negotiate a better deal?

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 673, 1badf350, 29aholic, 40 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,847
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.