Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe_redux
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Cossatot,

I cannot believe that in this day and age of news and rumors spreading literally at the speed of light over the Internet that anybody would be stupid enough to ask for money for his son's college football decision with his son, two college coaches, and a go-between in the room. Perhaps corruption is more brazen in college sports than I expect, but holding such a meeting is a recipe for disaster. If I was sitting on a jury, I would have a hard time buying the picture that you said Rogers painted.

Dude, you don't understand people like Cecil Newton. And really, what is going to happen to Cam? Nothing. He'll be in the NFL next year making millions and Auburn will be stuck picking up the pieces. In the end, Cecil Newton didn't care that much if it got out. He just wanted his money because by the time it all got out, Cam would be long gone. It backfired a little, but they almost made it and certainly Cam will be a millioniare next year anyway.

Mallet is gone too..leaving in his wake a stellar middle of the pack SECW finish! Probably one of the better seasons to be had under Petrino when it's all said and done.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kinda doubt an Auburn booster is going to come forward and say that he paid the Newtons; thus, all there is at this point for Auburn to assess is hearsay, and they would be stupid to hold Cam Newton out of games due to unproven hearsay.

When a guy says, "I was there and such and such happened", that isn't hearsay, that is eyewitness testimony.

It's hearsay if there isn't an opportunity to cross examine, isn't it?

no

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kinda doubt an Auburn booster is going to come forward and say that he paid the Newtons; thus, all there is at this point for Auburn to assess is hearsay, and they would be stupid to hold Cam Newton out of games due to unproven hearsay.

When a guy says, "I was there and such and such happened", that isn't hearsay, that is eyewitness testimony.

What it is, is a known liar, and someone under investigation for fraud with the NFLPA saying he heard someone (Cecil Newton) ask for money, after going on record saying he knew nothing about any of it.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by .280Rem

It's hearsay if there isn't an opportunity to cross examine, isn't it?

no

So you're telling me that in the State of Alabama someone can videotape an allegation and then commit suicide, and the videotaped allegation can still be played at a trial as eyewitness testimony?

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 11/11/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So you're telling me that in the State of Alabama someone can videotape an allegation and then commit suicide, and the videotaped allegation can still be played at a trial as eyewitness testimony?

You're asking a different rules of evidence question now.

Just forget hearsay...this, for now, is an NCAA investigation. They can consider anything, and any words they want to.

Last edited by .280Rem; 11/11/10.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You cannot win this one. AR fans are NEVER wrong. They know everything and you only think you might know something and at the end of the day it's all Houston Nutt's fault anyway. THE END.

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nail

You cannot win this one. AR fans are NEVER wrong. They know everything and you only think you might know something and at the end of the day it's all Houston Nutt's fault anyway. THE END.

Nail

No truer words ever spoken my friend.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nail

Nail

Only some Arkansas fans are never wrong - those still obsessed with Houston Nutt are kinda like the freshman girl who got dumped by the star quarterback after he got what he wanted from her.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're truly a tool, and over a game of football no less. You just make stuff up and make yourself look about 12 years old. We've only talked about what is on every sports reporting network. You're now on ignore because if you're this way over football, I don't want to read what you think about something that really matters.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing I've learned in this thread is that the only thing worse than a Bammer is Cossatotjoe redux

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 280shooter
"The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."

There are those of us who come from a time and place where integrity and character were expected. Old fools that we are, we still believe that to be a good thing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
"The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."

There are those of us who come from a time and place where integrity and character were expected. Old fools that we are, we still believe that to be a good thing.

That's kind of the question that I have been asking myself. Have things changed that much or do we just have more access to info? Probably some of both.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad

That's kind of the question that I have been asking myself. Have things changed that much or do we just have more access to info? Probably some of both.

Agreed, but with much more emphasis on the "changed" portion.

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since we've declared Cam and Auburn guilty, I guess we can move on huh?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
You're truly a tool, and over a game of football no less. You just make stuff up and make yourself look about 12 years old. We've only talked about what is on every sports reporting network. You're now on ignore because if you're this way over football, I don't want to read what you think about something that really matters.

[Linked Image]

War Damn Eagle!

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Funny coming from bammers...fresh off the Albert Means Purchase probation.

War Damn Eagle!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim ...

You seem to be taking this all too personally ... even before things got skippy between individuals, you have seemed to take offense to people having an opinion that Newton is guilty. Really, you need to relax a bit ...

It's like I said earlier ... OJ Simpson was found not guilty in the court of law, but we all pretty much know that just because it was not able to be proven, that it's about a 99.9% chance that he did it. Now, just extrapolate a bit to the Cam Newton situation and I think you'll understand some people's positions a little better.

I'll admit that there's no 'evidence' yet that can be used to prove that Newton should be deemed ineligible, and that it's all just a bunch of "he said, he said" at this point in time. But the other side of this is that there isn't just a single incident of "bad behavior" from Newton. It appears to be a more chronic problem with his decision making and sense of entitlement.

Do you really think that it's all just a bunch of coincidence that he ended up with a stolen laptop, is being accused of having three separate cheating instances at UF, and that he's now got people saying that he had an 'agent' saying that he had to be paid to commit to a school, and that he may have had a phone conversation saying that he went to AU because "the money was just too much"?

Again ... one single thing and I'd be inclined to believe someone is trying to screw him ... but look at the 'body of work' being laid out right now and you'd be blind not to see how people would not want to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

Like I told you in my PM with you earlier ... if I had to bet my life on it, I'd wager that what's being said about this "pay to play" situation is true ... but whether or not it can be proven is another issue ... but I'm not basing my opinion on whether or not they can trace the money that I think had to have changed hands.

I also know (like I said to you in the PM) that this happens at all major universities with just about all the big star players ... it's just a matter of if/when they do get caught.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason(s) - sour grapes, etc. - Cam's situation is being exposed ... and it will cause issues for him. Will those issues include him being declared ineligible? Will he end up losing the Heisman vote? Who knows ... but hopefully the investigation will be speedy, and he'll either be cleared quickly, or he'll be 'caught' ... but either way, it will be over ...

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM
Jim ...

You seem to be taking this all too personally ... even before things got skippy between individuals, you have seemed to take offense to people having an opinion that Newton is guilty. Really, you need to relax a bit ...

It's like I said earlier ... OJ Simpson was found not guilty in the court of law, but we all pretty much know that just because it was not able to be proven, that it's about a 99.9% chance that he did it. Now, just extrapolate a bit to the Cam Newton situation and I think you'll understand some people's positions a little better.

I'll admit that there's no 'evidence' yet that can be used to prove that Newton should be deemed ineligible, and that it's all just a bunch of "he said, he said" at this point in time. But the other side of this is that there isn't just a single incident of "bad behavior" from Newton. It appears to be a more chronic problem with his decision making and sense of entitlement.

Do you really think that it's all just a bunch of coincidence that he ended up with a stolen laptop, is being accused of having three separate cheating instances at UF, and that he's now got people saying that he had an 'agent' saying that he had to be paid to commit to a school, and that he may have had a phone conversation saying that he went to AU because "the money was just too much"?

Again ... one single thing and I'd be inclined to believe someone is trying to screw him ... but look at the 'body of work' being laid out right now and you'd be blind not to see how people would not want to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

Like I told you in my PM with you earlier ... if I had to bet my life on it, I'd wager that what's being said about this "pay to play" situation is true ... but whether or not it can be proven is another issue ... but I'm not basing my opinion on whether or not they can trace the money that I think had to have changed hands.

I also know (like I said to you in the PM) that this happens at all major universities with just about all the big star players ... it's just a matter of if/when they do get caught.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason(s) - sour grapes, etc. - Cam's situation is being exposed ... and it will cause issues for him. Will those issues include him being declared ineligible? Will he end up losing the Heisman vote? Who knows ... but hopefully the investigation will be speedy, and he'll either be cleared quickly, or he'll be 'caught' ... but either way, it will be over ...

Trey,

I don't take it personally. I know it's easier for some to think that. I do find it amazing that some need only read an allegation to find one guilty though. That amazes me.

BTW, the Marcus Dupree thing is on on ESPN2 right now.

War Damn Eagle!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
You know, you do have to wonder what some folks take on this would be, if Newton were the "golden boy" at their school... or at their arch rival?

I'm thinking WGM summed it up nicely, and we'll see... though likely after Newton doesn't win the Heisman and does jump to the NFL.

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (06hunter59, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,472
Posts18,529,377
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.