-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
your opinion on the fight tonight? pac man is going to have a tough fight with Margarito's size

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
your opinion on the fight tonight? pac man is going to have a tough fight with Margarito's size

I am not familiar with Margarito so I went to YT and watched some of his clips...he looks way too slow for Manny, but we'll see. What struck me I picked up through watching clips were two things.

First, Margarito wanted the Philippine fighter to come to CA too fight, but Manny refused, stating the CA taxes were to high. Good for Manny!

Second, Margarito can barely speak English, despite being born in CA...nice.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I am not familiar with Margarito so I went to YT and watched some of his clips...he looks way too slow for Manny, but we'll see. What struck me I picked up through watching clips were two things.

First, Margarito wanted the Philippine fighter to come to CA too fight, but Manny refused, stating the CA taxes were to high. Good for Manny!

Second, Margarito can barely speak English, despite being born in CA...nice.

Ehhh, the reason the fight is in Texas instead of California is due to Margarito's failure to get licensed there. Margarito got caught loading his handwraps against Shane Mosley last year, and he's had his license pulled pretty much everywhere. Texas, with it's rather lax athletic commision, was the only state that would license Margarito.

As for the fight - Margarito is MUCH bigger than Manny, but Margarito is also glacialy slow. Margarito had serious problems with the speed of a rather old and shopworn Shane Mosley, and got beat up and stopped in that fight. I'd expect Manny to hit Margarito early and often and stop him somewhere around the 8 round mark. Wouldn't be shocked if he got Margarito out of there with a quickness though. If Margarito somehow survives until the final bell, he's going to lose a pretty lopsided decision. I like Manny in this fight and I like him in a big, big way.

As for Margarito not being able to speak English - he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, so that's not suprising. Pacquiao speaks better English than Margarito.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Archie Moore vs Matt Franklin aka Saad Muhamid

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting, was listening to Bert Sugar the other day, he disagrees, he said that due to taxes Many said he would only fight in Nevada, Florida, or TX and refused CA. I had heard about the hand wraps but was going by what Bert Sugar stated.

He is a funny interview, he was talking about some of the dumbest questions he had ever heard reporters ask..a couple that come to mind..

After Don Larson threw the perfect game in the World Series, a reporter asked "is this the best game you have ever thrown?"

After Tyson knocked out Peter McNeely in about 15 seconds, a reporter asked the promoter "will there be a rematch?".

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, Bert Sugar could very well be right about Manny not wanting to fight in California due to taxes (Manny hasn't fought in California for 4 years), but they couldn't fight in the state anyway since Margarito can't get a license there. Hence, it's a moot point. That was the biggest factor in the fight getting placed in Texas, as they were the only state that would license Margarito. If Texas had not licensed Margarito (and they shouldn't have), they would have fought out of the country all together.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how that happened in the first place? A boxer always has a rep in the opponent's dressing room to observe the hand wrapping, I wonder how that slipped by?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It didn't slip by. They caught him before he went to the ring. He had a peice of Plaster of Paris over the knuckles of each hand, hiddin in the wraps. They made him cut the wraps off and rewrap his hands. Then, after the fight, the Athletic commision took him to school.

Turns out that the plaster left some weird stains on his gloves. An investigation turned up photos of the same kind of stains on Margarito's gloves when he fought Miguel Cotto a few months before. So he had done it at least once before, if not more often.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The main reason Margarito can't get a license is due to the fact that he went to his CSAC appeal and acted like loading his wraps was no biggie. He's continued to hold the attitude of "Oh tee hee, I guess I got caught on that one huh?" in the press since day one. Doesn't care that he might have killed someone with loaded wraps.

This is the same guy who made fun of Freddie Roach's parkinson's disease the other day. Like I said, not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
It didn't slip by. They caught him before he went to the ring. He had a peice of Plaster of Paris over the knuckles of each hand, hiddin in the wraps. They made him cut the wraps off and rewrap his hands. Then, after the fight, the Athletic commision took him to school.

Turns out that the plaster left some weird stains on his gloves. An investigation turned up photos of the same kind of stains on Margarito's gloves when he fought Miguel Cotto a few months before. So he had done it at least once before, if not more often.

Brian.

Thanks for the clarification. From the clips I watched, Margarito seems like a dirtbag, I hope Manny puts a beatdown on him.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Very rarely do I make judgements on the personalities of fighters, but Margarito is scum.

And you will most likely get your wish, unless Margarito lands the greatest punch of his entire career or Manny gets instantly old overnight. The whole point of the match in the first place was so people could see Margarito get his ass kicked for what he had done, although Shane Mosley kinda did that already. I seriously doubt that Manny fails to disapoint.

Brian.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well I'm headed out to the doc's to watch the fight. hopefully if it don't last long he'll have a few dancers from the palace over for entertainment

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Very rarely do I make judgements on the personalities of fighters, but Margarito is scum.

And you will most likely get your wish, unless Margarito lands the greatest punch of his entire career or Manny gets instantly old overnight. The whole point of the match in the first place was so people could see Margarito get his ass kicked for what he had done, although Shane Mosley kinda did that already. I seriously doubt that Manny fails to disapoint.

Brian.

You got it brother, one of these days if I'm up that way we'll have to split the cost of the pay-for-view, and watch us a fight. I know this much, if I lived in the northern part of the state, I wouldn't come down central way either. wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That would be fun!

And yes, I avoid going south of Ukiah at all costs. Too bad everyone is getting the hint and moving here from down south. The traffic is getting ridiculous here.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
PLEASE tell me that I just happen to be watching a stream of this fight from England, and that's why I have English commentators coming out of my speakers. Hopefully those of you watching on PPV are hearing Jim Lampley and crew.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Want to know why boxing is failing? I know NO ONE on this undercard, and the fights are blah. I'll be lucky if I don't fall asleep before the main event comes on.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good Lord, John Schorle is reffing a fight on the undercard. If he is the ref for the main event, expect some horrible-ness. Hopefully no one dies tonight.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure when Bob Arum and Co. put this undercard together, they thought "Hey! We'll put a two time Olympic gold medalist on here in a 12 round interim title fight. That should be entertaining!"

This is quite possibly the most boring boxing match I've ever seen. It seems like these two just want to quit fighting and go cherry picking together.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A plump Roberto Duran gets more of a pop out of the crowd than the decision for this fight. They read out the scorecards and all you could hear is crickets in Cowboy Stadium.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This glasses comercial with around 100 women running in bikini's was better than the entire 12 round interim super bantamweight championship. Props to the broadcast team for calling it what it was - boring as hell.

Brian.

Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (10Glocks, 375sunrise, 35, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 965 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.