Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You know, I also noticed way more sharptails than usual when we were gatherin' cows, nice to see. Couple bunches of Huns and even two Sage hens one day.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Aren't the outfitters filing a lawsuit?

ddj

against what? the majority of Montanan's dont want it, atleast in the form it was in.....dont see where outfitter tags are a right.....same number of tags will still be available to nonresidents.....what are they gonna base the lawsuit on?

The only reason I asked was that an outfitter told me that last week when I was in Montana.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
also had outfitters tell me my friends and i needed to join their association to take kids out fishing on our dime, free of charge to the kids and their families.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Outfitters were having a little turf battle out in one area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we invited them to come fishing with us.....they never showed.....had to figure out something else to do with the extra weights.....

Last edited by rattler; 11/16/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What is the Montana law about a landowner hunting with out of stater's? We had a landowner not want to riding in the same vechicle with us so that it looked like he was guiding us when he was showing us his property boundries. The local outfitter would turn him in he thought.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our Oregon locals complain about all the nonresidents in the woods during deer and elk seasons. Nonresidents are limited to only 5% of our available tags. Their obvious visibility is because they come and camp in the woods for the full season while the locals hunt out of the house. I've ridden with our LEO a few times and looked at the unit tag listings. I'd say that about half of our nonresident tags go to kids that come home to spend the season with their folks.

1Minute
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The non resident tag fees will go up, how is that going to help when many non residents will stay home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i dont have a problem with out of state hunters at all.....i have a problem with slob hunters but they are just as likely to be residents.....

the vote meant the same amount of tags would be available to nonresidents......i really dont mind sharing where i hunt....i find out of state hunters are the same as the instate ones, if im willing to hike i can get away from 95% of them....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
What is the Montana law about a landowner hunting with out of stater's? We had a landowner not want to riding in the same vechicle with us so that it looked like he was guiding us when he was showing us his property boundries. The local outfitter would turn him in he thought.

ddj

if he actually owns the property there shouldnt be an issue.....its his property and he should be able to do whatever he pleases.....wouldnt think it would go very far but ive got no first hand knowledge....

Last edited by rattler; 11/16/10.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rattler
i dont have a problem with out of state hunters at all.....i have a problem with slob hunters but they are just as likely to be residents.....

Word.

Besides, out of staters still won't find the good spots.......(grin)

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Unintended consequences. NR tag $660 Outfitter sponsored tag $1500. The difference funds Block management. What will fund it now? Their will be an economic impact on the state, I don't think anyone knows what it will be. I don't think it will be positive for the state. Who knows?

Brad
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by brdana
Unintended consequences. NR tag $660 Outfitter sponsored tag $1500. The difference funds Block management. What will fund it now? Their will be an economic impact on the state, I don't think anyone knows what it will be. I don't think it will be positive for the state. Who knows?

NEW SECTION. Section 9. Hunting access account. (1) There is a hunting access account in the state special revenue fund. Funds deposited in this account may be used only for the purpose of funding any hunting access program established by law or by the department through administrative rule.
(2) The following funds must be deposited in the account:
(a) 25% of the fee for Class B-10 nonresident big game combination licenses pursuant to 87-2-505(1)(c) and 25% of the fee for Class B-11 nonresident deer combination licenses pursuant to 87-2-510(1)(b);
(b) 25% of the fee for hunting licenses issued to nonresident children of a resident pursuant to 87-2-514; and
(c) the hunting access enhancement fees assessed pursuant to 87-2-202(3)(c) and (3)(d).
(3) Any interest or income earned on the account must be deposited in the account.

i would have voted to get rid of the outfitter licenses if it meant i had to pay more to fund the Block Management program.....the issue at hand was not out of state hunters and if someone wants to put through a change to it that drops the nonresident cost some and ups the resident costs some ive got no problem with that.....

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
From what I saw on Montanas F&W home page non res big game combo is uo to almos 900... A few years ago I think it was only 550..
Guess I better get out there before its 2000!

Hunt...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I come to Montana to hunt with my cousin, and I park my rig with California plates at his place and we hunt with his. So I guess we look like locals with his MT plates. I am not sure if I will keep applying for a non-resident tag, it depends on the balance in the hunt fund when it is time to buy the Montana application. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DINK
Anyone know what a antelope tags went to?
Dink

The way I read the regs they will go from $328 to $528. This is what my group is interested in on a ranch we have an invite for.
Is a 110 lb. pronghorn with 40 lbs of de-boned meat worth it?
It could be with a good groups of guys, some spot and stocking and respectable horns.

I think Montana made a mistake by raising the price. 5000+ NR tags became available on the "open market" so to speak. That opened up more tags for the NR's. Raising them $200 puts the damper on the whole lot of them. Time will tell.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the state thought by increasing the tag fees that the numbers of applicants will be less thus allowing the draw success to be higher. Higher draw rates will help the outfitters plan their hunts. In the end everyone is happy except for the "average nonresident hunter" who can't justify $528 for a deer tag or $928 for an elk.

ddj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by DINK
Anyone know what a antelope tags went to?
Dink

Is a 110 lb. pronghorn with 40 lbs of de-boned meat worth it?

add up all your costs to hunt.....i hunt close to home and when all is said and done it would be cheaper to buy prime rib than eat venison.....only way venison is cheap is if yah can walk out your back door and drop one in your yard.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you're not a resident you deal with whatever the state that you'd like to visit says is fair. You get no say in the matter because you live somewhere else. I'm glad to see the outfitters assn. and NR landowners that abused the system being forced to enter the draw. MT tags are still cheap - particularly so if you come from a state that has limited hunting opportunities

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
when all is said and done last weekend for my long weekend of hunting i prolly dropped close to $400 to cruise the country side and look at critters and not chamber a round....to hunt an area that starts 60 miles from my door....thats without factoring in the cost of the gun and rounds i shoot year round to stay in practice....for 3 days of hunting....will do the same over Thanksgiving weekend if it aint to wet to get out where i hunt....most years we hunt atleast 4 long weekends and not 2 but my back surgery screwed things up this year....some years its 6 weekends....

as i said charge me nonresident rates and the tags are still the cheapest part of my hunting......if i was hunting for meat i would shoot whitetail off a friends haystack 7 miles from home......for what i spend in gas alone to chase mule deer i could by a full beef and half a ranch raised bison cut how i want....

Last edited by rattler; 11/17/10.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,684
Posts18,513,491
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.