Hop To
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I started this thread to help me get info on what is to be my first trip outwest. Sure the price increase will mean a little more saving but $200 can be easily done..My wife and I have 2 kids and earn about 45000 a year so I sure as hell wont be paying 10,000 to hunt a ranch..
I apprciate your opinion DINK, but with the amount you guys are already spending....what the hell is 200 more???
Hell if you aint gonna miss the 200..Send it to me to help with my first western adventure!

So thanks for all the info thus far...What other tips do you guys have for a "greenhorn" who wants to go to Montana to hunt elk/deer????
I really want to put in for the combo tag, but wonder if I should just keep it simple and apply for one species for my first trip..

Hunt...
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
CBB I did not mean to side track your thread.

If I were you I would buy the muledeer tag and then wait and see if there were any left over cow/calf license for reduced price.

Its not about how much money you make or don't make. Its about being treated unfair because my license plate does not say montana on it. Everyone is mad at outfitters because they have the money to lease the big ranches. So there jealousy caused them to do away with the outfitter tag in hopes of putting outfitters out of business. Now they want the average out of state hunter (me and you) to pick up the tab. They wanted to be mean to the outfitters and let everyone else suffer. I already spend more on hunting in the state of montana than most locals (probaly) and now they want a little surcharge.

Montana will gladly take our federal tax money from out of staters (because they don't have the population to sustain itself) and then give non-resident hunters the finger and say you are going to pay anyway. Just pisses me off.

Like I said I did mean to side your track so badly but it really pisses me off about the tag increase.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK

Montana will gladly take our federal tax money from out of staters (because they don't have the population to sustain itself) and then give non-resident hunters the finger and say you are going to pay anyway. Just pisses me off.

Montana is a producer......we send out of state more timber, oil, natural gas, power, grain, beef. various minerals, produce and products than we use...not to mention the tourist industry.....im thinking we can sustain ourselves just fine.....

you wouldnt believe the amount of power that is pumped out of this state to fuel those south and west of us and we are always looking to build new power plants to sell more....

as ive said, just turn over all the federal land to the state and we will not take any federal money......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dink - I think you should relocate to Montana. I think your views would change.

I doubt most residents here in Iowa even know what a nonresident pays. Montana can charge whatever as long as people are willing to pay.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
No problems here Dink..Just trying to get on track...Next season will be here before I know it, as will the app deadlines..I need to get my chit together...

Hunt...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CBB- JMO, but it this is your first non-whitetail type hunt, I'd go for the deer tag and try to add a pronghorn tag or three if possible. Elk, if you are successful, bring a whole 'nuther level of complication/work. Just my 2 cents...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Rattler you may be right but I don't think you guys have enough people to support yourself (which is a good thing really). I have driven hundreds of miles on paved highway and only thing I seen was beef. I don't know how much taxes those bring in.

If I lived in montana I might have a different opinion but I doubt it. Look at the guys on this forum from montana that kill big elk and deer every year. They hunt hard on public ground and get it done. I doubt they are hoping a outfitter goes out of business in hopes they will get on some ranch they can drive around on. That is my opinion only.

Trout I won't hunt iowa because of the tag price. I have been invited a couple times but I won't pay that much to kill a deer. That and I don't like slugs or muzzleloaders.

CBB you are right next year will be here before you know it. My wife is due with son number two at the end of Jan and I had this muledeer hunt already planned. Now this. I have to either pay the $200, start all over in another state or not hunt in the west next year. I am making phone calls tomorrow......grin.

Dink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have driven hundreds of miles on paved highway and only thing I seen was beef. I don't know how much taxes those bring in.

Dink

I'm just getting into this thread but all those miles seeing nothing but beeves is one of the things we like love about this place...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
ingwe its one of things I liked about montana too.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
3 pronghorn tags?? That just sounds like fun!!!
Are there that many lope out there??

Hunt...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
In places....

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by CBB
I started this thread to help me get info on what is to be my first trip outwest. Sure the price increase will mean a little more saving but $200 can be easily done..My wife and I have 2 kids and earn about 45000 a year so I sure as hell wont be paying 10,000 to hunt a ranch..
I apprciate your opinion DINK, but with the amount you guys are already spending....what the hell is 200 more???
Hell if you aint gonna miss the 200..Send it to me to help with my first western adventure!

So thanks for all the info thus far...What other tips do you guys have for a "greenhorn" who wants to go to Montana to hunt elk/deer????
I really want to put in for the combo tag, but wonder if I should just keep it simple and apply for one species for my first trip..

Well, I supplied useless drivel in a silly debate, I might as well try to contribute something useful.

The out of state guys I know often have deer tags. However, elk hunting is very consuming. Trying to fill the elk tag dominates the trip, and the deer tag ends up being a distant afterthough. They often shoot anything legal to fill the tag, usually a dinky muley. Moderately irritating to someone who laments the lack of mature muleys out west, but I'm not going to accuse anyone of stealing. I will say that where elk are, it is rare to find great mule deer except special draw areas that I don't think are part of this discussion. And by the time you actually locate and take an elk AND get it to the truck, you won't be that keen on a really hard hunt for deer. Now that I've offered this advice, you will probably come out with your elk tag and have a huge deer stand in front of you... Now obviously if the money doesn't bother you, as it does seem to bother some bothersomes, then carry a deer tag with you on your visit.

I think your chance of being drawn will be very good for next year, for reasons mentioned. MT essentially increased supply and cost for the same number of elk tags, so demand should ease in response. I would guess that past draw results for NR will be worthless.

As for tips, I think you will need to ask more specific questions. Probably best to start a new thread, since this one has been highjacked so badly (I accept responsibility in part for this, sorry).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have driven hundreds of miles on paved highway and only thing I seen was beef. I don't know how much taxes those bring in.

Dink

I'm just getting into this thread but all those miles seeing nothing but beeves is one of the things we like love about this place...

Glad to hear it Ingwe.

Problem is there's getting to be alot of misinformed people who don't agree.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/21/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cows, not condos..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
CBB be careful about the antelope tags. They have had die off and have cut tags. Last year we drew buck tags in one unit and then had to drive to another unit to shoot antelope doe's.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 11/21/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing to see on that sucky drive, except cows..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Glad to hear it Ingwe.

Problem is there's getting to be alot of misinformed people who don't agree.

Sammo...I think the figures put us at the 13th highest taxed people in the nation IIRC, and Dink may be right, the beeves are'nt bringing in as many taxes as some things...but I know a schittload of us won't mind throwing in on their share.... wink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ingwe how can you taxed that high with out sales tax? Property taxes that high?

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rattler you may be right but I don't think you guys have enough people to support yourself (which is a good thing really). I have driven hundreds of miles on paved highway and only thing I seen was beef. I don't know how much taxes those bring in.

cattle? not a ton, Sam could prolly tell yah what the tax is per head......lot of tax money made on oil, nat gas, coal and the like though.....right now there is a ton of oil under a chunk of tribal land the size of Rhode Island that if it was privately owned or owned by the state would be developed.....as is the oil companies will not work with the tribes and i dont blame them...and its not some spiritual keeping the land pure its cause plain old fashioned greed by the tribes....

as others said dont like the tag prices move here.....as a business owner i will say the state is pretty business friendly....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1911a1, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,723
Posts18,514,249
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.