Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Application fee for resident and nonresident drawing is refunded by Montana FWP unless you select the points option ($2). Just to be clear, Montana residents purchase a general deer/elk license over the counter. Draw only areas are a lottery for both residents and nonresidents (10% for nonresidents is about right) and are designed to meet specific management requirements.

Might be a stretch to characterize outfitters "twisting" arms of landowners. In my area, many of the landowners are tired of policing their property and babysitting both residents and nonresidents. Certainly understandable that it is less complicated to deal with one entity with a vested interest. Given the vast public lands here, I might recommend taking a trip away from the heated seats and satellite radio.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow. I can't believe I read this whole thread. Besides not actually learning what the 2011 NR Antelope price will be (The MT 2011 annual rule only mentions elk and deer), I learned that Dink:

1. Drives a $40k vehicle.
2. Shoots a $7,500 custom rifle
3. Pays $5k for a land lease
4. Pays another $5k in expenses for his antelope hunt

and...

is pissed about $200.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
brymoore, think i posted somewhere to email FWP cause i hadnt seen anything on speed goat tags.....or call them.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Since I-161 was only about Outfitter Sponsored Licenses, the antelope license/tags will not be effected.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Toolelk, I echo your statement about getting away from the heated seats and satelite radio. The best part of the season is upon us. Ya' can't get to the good hunt areas with a vehicle now. Ya' gotta put in the sweat equity and time. It thins the herds of the road hunters. I use no ATV or snow machine. A good pack frame, sharp knife, perhaps a long walk sometimes fill the hunt. I look upon it as adventure. BTW, always be safe and prepare for unexpected circumstances such as having to spend a night in the field this time of year. Pack for success and a good safe hunt. MTG

Last edited by MTGunner; 11/22/10.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
IC B2

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Toolelk,
This year was my 18th year of hunting in Montana. 12 of those for elk. That just so we know I know a little bit about the way the system works for NR's. Never with an outfitter.
You are correct you can return your license for a partical refund. I have never done it but I think at best its 80% so 20% of $640 still is in the hundreds level. And it gets worst the longer you wait.

I also think you are correct that the twisting being very little. The landowners are tired of everyone forgetting that they own the land to run a business in most cases. I don't think the passage of I-161 will do anything to change the situation.

A word of advice to those NR hunter who get to hunt on private land...don't forget about the rancher and they like to be treated nice. Our group has always taken the ranchers out for dinner at least one night. Some of the parties we hosted at the Hell Creek Bar in Jordan are legendary. And then most important, be prepared to have to drive a few of them home. smile They do know how to have a good time and drink their fill. A most wonderful bunch of folks who live a hard life making a living.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRF

A word of advice to those NR hunter who get to hunt on private land...don't forget about the rancher and they like to be treated nice. Our group has always taken the ranchers out for dinner at least one night. Some of the parties we hosted at the Hell Creek Bar in Jordan are legendary. And then most important, be prepared to have to drive a few of them home. smile They do know how to have a good time and drink their fill. A most wonderful bunch of folks who live a hard life making a living.

unreal the amount of good will that buys yah isnt it? some of the private land i do have access to is cause of my brother and/or i helping out during the rest of the year.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by brymoore
Wow. I can't believe I read this whole thread. Besides not actually learning what the 2011 NR Antelope price will be (The MT 2011 annual rule only mentions elk and deer), I learned that Dink:

and...

is pissed about $200.

brymore you are very wrong about me....except the part about pissed about the $200

I drive a old truck that has been paid for a long time. My wife on the other hand.....In my line of work I had to pick between nice guns or new trucks. I have a few what I consider nice guns.

I do not have any $7500 rifles but I would rather have one of them than a new truck.

I do lease land but not for 5k (in missouri).

I did split the 5k cost of a antelope hunt between five of us. I will do the math for you my part was 1k..that included a place to stay and meals for the week.

You are right I am very pissed off about the $200 and it has nothing to do with the actual dollar amount.

Dink

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
LRF, I was referring to the application fee as it is refundable if unsuccessful.

Hard to know what impact I-161 will have on access. The county where I live was overwhelmingly against the initiative and I am waiting to see if there are any repercussions next year. Relationships are key and an act of kindness (a simple note) is always appreciated.

It is your friends in Jordan and other small towns across the state that will be hurt if the nonresidents decide to hunt somewhere else.

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
How is the hunting near Pinesdale?

Hunt...
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by brymoore

and...

is pissed about $200.

brymore you are very wrong about me....except the part about pissed about the $200

I drive a old truck that has been paid for a long time. My wife on the other hand.....In my line of work I had to pick between nice guns or new trucks. I have a few what I consider nice guns.

I do not have any $7500 rifles but I would rather have one of them than a new truck.

I do lease land but not for 5k (in missouri).

I did split the 5k cost of a antelope hunt between five of us. I will do the math for you my part was 1k..that included a place to stay and meals for the week.

You are right I am very pissed off about the $200 and it has nothing to do with the actual dollar amount.

Dink

Well, since you hunt antelope and it appears the price hasn't changed, you have nothing to be pissed about.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
brymoore did you not catch the part about going muledeer hunting next year. That would be were the pissed off part comes in.

Dink

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone here hunt near Pinesdale?

Hunt...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just the wolves...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by CBB
Anyone here hunt near Pinesdale?

I have hunted near pinesdale a couple of times but have not been there since 2005.

Dink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
brymoore did you not catch the part about going muledeer hunting next year. That would be were the pissed off part comes in.

Dink

I didn't see where you said you hunted mule deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Classic case of sand in the cooter DINK, get over it. No outfitters in my county and I hope it stays that way. We do have a couple of ranches that NR lease. Hope this ends that nonsense too. Not that I don't have more land to hunt on than I could possibly cover in one season, I just hate to see people buying their way into a good buck.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ranger1 I am getting over it. I have been on the phone the last two days putting together a muledeer hunt in wyoming. I hope no non-residence hunt in montana this year (I know that won't happen). Maybe all the merchants that depend on non-residence hunting to make a living might have a different attitude about non-residents then..maybe not.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the funny thing is you still think this is about nonresident hunters.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope no non-residence hunt in montana this year (I know that won't happen). Maybe all the merchants that depend on non-residence hunting to make a living might have a different attitude about non-residents then..maybe not.

Dink

Dink,

Do you really think hunting is that big of a cash crop for our business? 3 million people visit just Yellowstone national park a year. 1.9 million visit glacier national park. People flock to our rivers for world class fly fishing, we have the biggest ski resort in the united states and one of the few private ski resort in the world. 10 million tourist visit Montana each year.

I don't think too many will be concerned with a few less non res hunters next year.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,741 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,627
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.