Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like that pic!...

Me too. The guy taking it is probably saying hurry up and shoot that thing!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you guys like it. We actually got close enough to jump him off the rock so the younger dogs could give chase again. I ended up shooting him out of a really thick willow tree a few hundred yards away from where that pic was taken. I couldn't have been 10 feet away when I squeezed off.

This cat made for quite a story and was the last time I used a FMJ on a cat. I forgot my cheap practice ammo was on my 357 belt, and I was the only one who had a gun. Live and learn. Had a nice vet bill that afternoon.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DOH! eek

DH: Have you eaten the meat....?

I tried it a couple times and REALLY liked it!!

Last edited by ingwe; 11/26/10.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have actually, but just the backstrap. It cooks up light colored like pork. It really was not too bad. I'll be having it again.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pork it is! same color, consistency, flavor...
FWIW leopard is similar....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Have bang flopped mule deer at 140 yards with 22 hornet. I would lion hunt with a 22 hornet.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Scott F
Have bang flopped mule deer at 140 yards with 22 hornet. I would lion hunt with a 22 hornet.

Got more here not "playing with a full deck": Deal me in cool.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Being in la la land is fun huh? It adds excitment to life. One day I'll tell ya about the cave a lioness/kittens crawled into, with the dogs following. That'll get your heart rate up! I don't actually own hounds, but hunt quite a bit with some friends who do.
I know another very sucessful guy that hunts lions exclusively with a .22 hornet in a break action. H&R I think.
I know the OP is talking about called cougars, but that's not what me and Tonk are arguing over.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Being in la la land is fun huh? It adds excitment to life. One day I'll tell ya about the cave a lioness/kittens crawled into, with the dogs following. That'll get your heart rate up! I don't actually own hounds, but hunt quite a bit with some friends who do.
I know another very sucessful guy that hunts lions exclusively with a .22 hornet in a break action. H&R I think.
I know the OP is talking about called cougars, but that's not what me and Tonk are arguing over.

Yep, it is fun. wink

And, I understand your point. I am not a fan of the 17 rimfires. Not even for ground squires let alone dangerous animals. But the lowly old hornet wit a 40 gr V-max is way underrated. I have yet to shoot at any animal and just wound it let alone get away. The little guy just gets the job done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 223 will work, but I wouldn't choose it as the IDEAL round for Lions. Namely because how often do you get a shot? And how many of those are IDEAL shots? Use enough gun.

They're easy to punch through, but hard to switch off.

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What this thread needs is some pics a hot cougar shooting a .223...

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mark Zepp has a video on one of his dvds -Free Grass & No Fences -where an acquaintance using Zepp's 223 shot a 76lb female mtn lion at 25yds.

He says it was hit in both lungs and went about 80yds before piling up. The video shows it staggering off trying to get it together.

The correct bullet.....the best bullet placement.....and the ability of the shooter.....plus the tenacity of the individual animal.....it all rolls together.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well you all have convinced me I am wrong. I am having an AR converter to 460 Weatherby with a belt feed. It will me my calling gun. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I am after game that can eat me, such as a cougar... I'd like the biggest weapon possible available..

so in that Scenario, I'd take Big Stdick along...once the animal was dead still, being in total AWE after Big Stdick impressed it with all of his experience, you could just walk over and smack it on the head with a rubber mallot..

of course, the 'real experts'... such as Big Stdick... could just walk over and "knock it over with a feather"... no hide damage or nothing...

in a situation like that, you need a 'professional'!!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is just real hard to beat a stoked up "triple 4 Marlin" using Leverevolution ammo or hardcast bullets for any mountain lion in New Jersey or Montana. The lever gun is fast to shoulder and it does not hesitate in throwing those big slugs into a Big Kitty!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
If I am after game that can eat me, such as a cougar... I'd like the biggest weapon possible available..

so in that Scenario, I'd take Big Stdick along...once the animal was dead still, being in total AWE after Big Stdick impressed it with all of his experience, you could just walk over and smack it on the head with a rubber mallot..

of course, the 'real experts'... such as Big Stdick... could just walk over and "knock it over with a feather"... no hide damage or nothing...

in a situation like that, you need a 'professional'!!!
grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A cousin of mine was very safisfied with a 22" barreled 22-250 on mtn lion. So much so that those he took with him had to use it because he new what it would do and he said his dogs were too important to him to let people use something else.

I think a person should use what they are comfortable with, but the dogs were his.

J
J
If you are going to hunt them with dogs and shoot them out of a tree or off a rockpile, yes a .223 will work fine.

However if you are going to try your had at a real challenge, calling one in by yourself, then I would go with something a bit heavier. The chance of getting a broad-side shot when calling one to your stand is not good. More likely you are going to see nothing.......then suddenly one magically appears, poised and staring a hole in you straight on. Your choice will then be to try a head shot, or thread the needle under his chin and into his throat. If you hit the breastbone with a .223 you may only wound the animal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So an Encore in 460 Weatherby is the best option?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just killed one last week with a 9mm Kimber.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,987
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.