Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RupertBear
Where you and I disagree is that you consider his orders against general dissemination of classified information unlawful; I don't.

I'm sure they were perfectly lawful, in the typical government sense of the word, although I'd prefer to use the term "legal." (I recognize a big difference between natural law and human legislation.)

But I don't give a rip whether things are that kind of lawful or not: I care whether they're right or wrong.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Children must be shielded and have information withheld from them because as children, they are not capable of deciding what is in their interests and therefore, there is no need to confuse or incite them with useless information.

And big daddy/mommy government considers the public its very own children. They're smarter than the rest of us, doncha know... and do everything they do for our own good, too!

Let's see what's hidden pertaining to JFK's murder.
C'mon. Let's see it.

Is big daddy/mommy governmetn protecting itself or the public by hiding this? Is it protecting certain politicians? Was there treason involved? Really! What is being hidden and why?

C'mon!

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by Barak
The Government and the citizens of the U.S. live in a symbiotic relationship.

You mean parasitic, right? The government coercively draws its essence from the vitality of the populace, like a leech on a cow. The populace does all sorts of things for the government that the government couldn't possibly do for itself. Does the government do anything for the populace that the populace couldn't do for itself?

Symbiotic, parasitic, the result would be the same.

A population without government, is easy prey for a Nazi Germany, a USSR, an 1812 Britain, a 2010 China.....

Is this the standard line about how a government fights for its subjects?

It doesn't, really, you know. A government forces its subjects to fight for it. A government threatened by a Nazi Germany doesn't think to itself, "Oh my goodness, our subjects won't like being subjects of Nazi Germany! We'd better fight to protect them from that!" It thinks to itself, "Oh my goodness, if Nazi Germany takes over, we won't have power anymore! We'd better mobilize our subjects to fight to protect us from that!"

And nobody has ever explained to me yet A) why such an aggressor would want to invade and take over a society without a government, or B) exactly how such an aggressor would go about it.

I mean, a society of sheep herded by a preexisting government is fairly easy to take over: you just replace the existing government with your own, and the sheep just go on being sheep. Easy.

But how do you take over a society of small wolf packs with no experience at being sheep? Why would you even want to subject yourself to such an experience?

Correction: I guess there are still people who try to take over Somalia and Afghanistan; it may after all be true that the only limitless natural resource in the universe is human stupidity. Okay, consider A) withdrawn; but I'm still curious about B). So far, nothing tried has worked in either Somalia or Afghanistan. Have you a new idea?

Last edited by Barak; 11/30/10. Reason: Correction

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� Our government should be able to keep certain things confidential.

I think our friend Cossatotjoe handled this one admirably.

� The ability to keep certain things confidential shouldn't be abused.

Has there ever been a government that had a power that it didn't abuse?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A government that can not responsibly keep certain things confidential is at the mercy of the mob.

So what you're saying is that truly democratic (or republican) government can't work?

Welcome to the fold, my friend!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is big daddy/mommy governmetn protecting itself or the public by hiding this? Is it protecting certain politicians? Was there treason involved? Really! What is being hidden and why?

C'mon!

And another thing I'd like to see which ALL 3 BRANCHES of the federal government have CONSPIRED to keep hidden from public view is BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA'S BIRTH AND EDUCATION AND TRAVEL RECORDS!!!

C'mon!
Let's see it!

Who is being protected here?
And why?!!

Last edited by Archerhunter; 11/30/10.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 163bc
Originally Posted by 163bc
Smarts and good common sence are 2 entirely different things but I doubt you can grasp that concept. You are a way out there loonie bird. 163bc

Okay, let's explore this a little. If you have something to teach me, I certainly want to learn it.

Given a template like, "You say that A, but common sense clearly indicates that B," can you give me useful examples of A and B?

(Please do try to make B something other than a simple regurgitation of standard government propaganda, though.)

Here is a little something I can teach you Barak. Good, honest, hard working, patriotic Americans citizens and possibly their loved ones who have put their lives at risk to ensure you can babble about your a + b bullshit might die because of these leaks.

Well, okay, I guess simple regurgitation of standard government propaganda it is. One works with what one has.

First, of course, is the possibility that that argument may be nothing but complete government fabrication. (So far it has been. Check it out on your own: to this point no WikiLeaks information has led to anything more serious than government officials being really, really embarrassed.) Governments, their politicians, and their intellectuals all lie for a living; that's why swallowing government propaganda is usually a dangerous thing.

But, just for the sake of argument, let's suppose it's all true.

Let's do a little thought experiment. Suppose a criminal has a knife to the throat of your daughter, and orders you not to move or he'll stab her, and you move, and he stabs her.

Who is responsible for your daughter getting stabbed? You? I don't think so. I think it's the criminal who put her in that position who's responsible.

So...you're concerned that there are people in the position of depending for their safety on certain information not being released. Suppose the information gets released and they're harmed.

Who's responsible for the harm that comes to them? The people who did the releasing, or the government that put them in that position without control over the information in question?

I think the answer to that question's pretty clear. What should also be pretty clear, I think, is that if the government is indeed responsible it will do anything in its power to convince people that the responsibility lies elsewhere.

If instead of just accepting the propaganda you actually examine it a little, usually it'll fall apart on its own.

Your wish for a totally open and transparent government is a fools game and if it ever happens it will be only for a very short while befoere it ends.

From your keyboard to God's Internet browser, my friend. From your keyboard to God's Internet browser.

You may not know it, realize it, or choose to believe it, but it is a very harsh world out there with a whole bunch of evil people that wish to do YOU & me (and anyone else)great harm.

Once again, try to take a step beyond the propaganda rather than stopping right where the newsreader stops.

"Why" is frequently a good next question, just as a rule of thumb. Suppose it's true what they say about lots of people wanting to kill us. Why do you suppose that is?

I'll leave that one as an exercise for the reader.

I'm sorry it worked out this way; I was hoping you had something other than government propaganda to teach me. Most of the propaganda I've already considered.

Barak, you continue to prove my point.....like i said a couple pages back, You get loonier with each post. Patting yourself on the back and thinking yourself an intelect or a great thinker doesn't make you one. Smarts and good common sence are 2 entirely different things but I doubt you can grasp that concept. You are a way out there loonie bird. 163bc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� I'd be (and have been) honored to learn from you, if you have something to teach me. �

No one can teach the unteachable.

Saying "I'm teachable," no matter how sincerely one may say it, isn't always accurate.

Too often, it includes the secret attitude if you can make me accept what you say.

The truly teachable are receptive, not resistant.

A drowning man is not picky about whether you toss him a cotton rope or a sisal rope, an old rope or a new rope, a half-inch rope or a one-inch rope.

A boy who
(a) doesn't know how to swim,
(b) knows that he doesn't know how,
and
(c) wants to know how
isn't inclined to argue with whatever the swimming instructor tries to teach him.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The more I think about this situation, and any other, the more I tend to agree with Barak, Bristoe and others who say "NO MORE SECRETS"!

If government officials have something to hide, they're not our servants. (well, we all understood that long ago) If government personnel needlessly put lives of our troops, or the civilian populace, in jeopardy, then they are not our servants (southern border comes to mind as does Nappy's appointment to her position). If government personnel conspire to hide dingleBarry's past and JFK truths from public, they're not our servants (and there's thousands upon thousands of other topics along this line).

Fact is governmetn is serving itself.
Fact is government is hiding things they know they'd be tarred and feathered for.
Fact is they cannot be trusted and they know it and work together protecting each other while leaving our troops, and the rest of us, out standing there bare naked and unprotected.
Fact is they consider themselves an elite class that is not answerable to us.
Fact is, we have identified our enemy. And it AIN'T US!!!!!

It's them.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Further fact....

Rules of engagement are proof the fed government doesn't care whether or not our troops return home safely.

Who that actually wants a job completed sends in people with their hands tied behind their backs?

Something is very, very wrong.
How long are you all going to keep supporting and worshiping government?

How long?

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A drowning man is not picky about whether you toss him a cotton rope or a sisal rope, an old rope or a new rope, a half-inch rope or a one-inch rope.

But a man who was formerly drowning but now has a good hold on a nice one-inch hawser won't like being pelted with monofilament fishing line while he's trying to concentrate on climbing out.

I love to learn; but what I love most to learn is stuff that's better or more true than what I already know. If I know that tomatoes are delicious and healthy and can be used to make wonderful Italian dishes, it doesn't do me any good to read a book from the 1700s telling me that they're deadly poison--other than that it's a mildly amusing piece of trivia that might be entertaining at parties.

Over the past dozen years or so, I've found many, many things that I formerly believed that turned out not to have been true, and I've joyfully replaced them with things that are much more true--although they may still not be completely correct.

If you have something for me that's more true than something I already believe, I will replace mine with yours just as joyfully. If you have something that's not as true as what I already believe, I'm interested in that too, simply because of the personal respect I have for you; but even in the face of that respect, more-true will trump less-true every time.

I hope that doesn't cause offense.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Further fact....

Rules of engagement are proof the fed government doesn't care whether or not our troops return home safely.

Who that actually wants a job completed sends in people with their hands tied behind their backs?

How long?

Okay, for the sake of argument, what's your alternative then?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So carry on.

Obviously, you can learn nothing from me � as you've no doubt already noticed.

"Good enough" isn't.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

But a man who was formerly drowning but now has a good hold on a nice one-inch hawser won't like being pelted with monofilament fishing line while he's trying to concentrate on climbing out.

I love to learn; but what I love most to learn is stuff that's better or more true than what I already know. If I know that tomatoes are delicious and healthy and can be used to make wonderful Italian dishes, it doesn't do me any good to read a book from the 1700s telling me that they're deadly poison--other than that it's a mildly amusing piece of trivia that might be entertaining at parties.

Over the past dozen years or so, I've found many, many things that I formerly believed that turned out not to have been true, and I've joyfully replaced them with things that are much more true--although they may still not be completely correct.

If you have something for me that's more true than something I already believe, I will replace mine with yours just as joyfully. If you have something that's not as true as what I already believe, I'm interested in that too, simply because of the personal respect I have for you; but even in the face of that respect, more-true will trump less-true every time.

I hope that doesn't cause offense.

Proving Dr. Howell's points more concretely than anything or anyone else could.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So carry on.

Obviously, you can learn nothing from me � as you've no doubt already noticed.

On the contrary, it's difficult for me to accept that a man of your experience could possibly not know something that's more true than what a man of my experience knows.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Further fact....

How long?

Okay, for the sake of argument, what's your alternative then?

Either take control of it or eliminate it.
Should be obvious government is the problem and not the solution. Equally as obvious, if one wants to win a war he fights like he means it, kills and destroys everything in sight and goes home.

Don't get me wrong, I"m upset about some of the leaked information, too. I've got loved ones over there fighting ()with their hands tied). But maybe some of this information NEEDED leaked. Same as dingleBarry's past and JFK infomation needs leaked. Leaking information and laying it all out for everyone to see certainly can't all be bad.

Alternative.... for argument's sake...
Take it back. And don't be afraid who you have to beat up and/or expose to do it. Military personnel's hands are tied, the American people's aren't. And sooner or later they will have had enough. Personally, I'm hoping for sooner than later.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Tisn't a matter of what I know that you don't know.

'Tis a matter of what I know that you won't accept.

"Good enough" isn't.

I think we should turn the matter over to the United Nations and let them resolve this wikileak.

Last edited by SolomonBrainiac; 11/30/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Tisn't a matter of what I know that you don't know.

'Tis a matter of what I know that you won't accept.

Unless you're talking about wisdom revealed from on high that you can't defend and therefore can't afford to have challenged, you're guessing, my friend.

I have enough people making assertions at me that they can't support, it's true. But I sense that what you have is different. Give me a try. You haven't yet.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

You mean parasitic, right? The government coercively draws its essence from the vitality of the populace, like a leech on a cow. The populace does all sorts of things for the government that the government couldn't possibly do for itself. Does the government do anything for the populace that the populace couldn't do for itself?

Symbiotic, parasitic, the result would be the same.

A population without government, is easy prey for a Nazi Germany, a USSR, an 1812 Britain, a 2010 China.....

Is this the standard line about how a government fights for its subjects?

It doesn't, really, you know. A government forces its subjects to fight for it. A government threatened by a Nazi Germany doesn't think to itself, "Oh my goodness, our subjects won't like being subjects of Nazi Germany! We'd better fight to protect them from that!" It thinks to itself, "Oh my goodness, if Nazi Germany takes over, we won't have power anymore! We'd better mobilize our subjects to fight to protect us from that!"

And nobody has ever explained to me yet A) why such an aggressor would want to invade and take over a society without a government, or B) exactly how such an aggressor would go about it.

I mean, a society of sheep herded by a preexisting government is fairly easy to take over: you just replace the existing government with your own, and the sheep just go on being sheep. Easy.

But how do you take over a society of small wolf packs with no experience at being sheep? Why would you even want to subject yourself to such an experience?

Lebensraum...

Brezhnev Doctrine...

Mao's belief that an aggressive attitude should be maintained against any capitalist societies...

Lenin, Stalin, Kruschev all believed that communism could only succeed by crushing capitalist nations.

Alexander, Attila, Napolean, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Rome....

Which of the above ever bypassed lands because they didn't have a central government?

Every tyrant in history wanted to spread their empire in able to increase wealth and the easiest means of obtaining wealth is by taking over land and subduing it's inhabitants.

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,064
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.