Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 35 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 34 35
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"looser" ???

Too funny!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
C'mon fellers.

this thread ain't about geetars, Palin or wood.

Unless ya get wood thinking about Palin. smile

Beside, Art... Got to expect those libs to stick their feathers together.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Glad ya liked it. Keep up the campaign. You need to keep a tight hold on all the straws you can find, no matter how flimsy.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless ya get wood thinking about Palin.

I always think about doin her whenever I see her. She has a pretty mouth too. Just sayin.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rethought.

Last edited by ironbender; 11/30/10.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think her husband is that good looking, not into dudes though... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, what about the don't ask, don't tell policy?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She is a MILF!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't mind a little over penetration on that..

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would want her to leave her glasses on.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not going to [bleep] Larry, John, JeffO, Sarah or Todd, but I could have climbed Everest on the oxygen that's been wasted making this thread. tired

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BrentD
I love how you hold a thought. And, yep, it was edited, and, yep, she's still an idiot unless specifically coached. She ain't a thinker. Don't confuse yourself over that issue.

Meanwhile, you know damn well, Red Spruce from the Adirondacks is the most sought after guitar top in the business. You know, and more importantly, Martin knows it.

Sitka spruce is a nice runner up, but thats what it is, first looser.

Brent
Do you teach in absolutes, too?

You are going to let Martin Guitars make all the decisions for the entire acoustic instrument world? Even if they are just opinions? Even if red spruce from the Adirondacks is the best for Martin guitar tops, does that make it best for every style guitar? And from every maker? Do you expect Martin to advertise their guitars as having pulpwood tops? Or to hype something tough to come by? You really have to be kidding...

I wonder what the best Cremona fiddle makers use and call best... hmmm... care to guess?

As to Sarah, you knowingly used her performance on a severly edited interview tape to smear her. You absolutely knew it was not a true rendition of how she had done, clearly exposing your contempt for her. That is intellectual dishonesty any way you look at it. And you maintained the point after being called on it... That is special.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Art et al,

I would encourage you to dealve a little deeper into the world of guitars before saying that Sitka is best because it's used the most. It just ain't so. As I've already explained, Sitka is what most everyone who makes any real quantity of guitars uses because they HAVE to. It's what's available. A very similar thing happened with Brazilian vs. Indian Rosewood, and for that matter there are several variations of mohagony that have come into and out of broad use due to supply constraints.

Take a look at the Collings, Santa Cruz, Dana Bourgoise, Taylor, and Martin websites, in particular the sections pertaining to their very top end stuff. There, or on the many forums where guitar nerds talk about this stuff and no doubt fight and argue just like we do here over cartridges and whatnot, you will find descriptions and de-facto "rankings" of the spruce top woods. Sitka will rarely top the list.

In the guitar world one runs into tops made of Sitka, German, Engleman, and Adirondack spruce. I can't tell you the Latin name for what spruce is what, because in the industry we don't go there. Obviously at least a couple of those are industry-specific names but hey, that's what we call 'em. Do you own research and see.

I can tell you Sitka isn't considered the top spruce, by builders or the tone mafia guys either <grin>.

Interestingly, the overall design of a guitar can tilt things towards one top wood or the other, such that Sitka might indeed be the "best" top wood on a given design. How the top is braced and tensioned plays into this. An extreme example of how much the top matters, would be Taylor guitars circa mid-90's. They tended towards harshness and brittleness (some would say "clarity") to the point that I actually preferred a CEDAR top on that design. On the other hand, a more euphonic guitar design like the Martin, which tend to be a lush, chimey guitar (talking "normal models here) can be muddy with a cedar top. And yes I've played cedar-topped dreadnaught Martins. wink

At any rate, Sitka is a fine, fine tonewood. It's what's on my OM-28V and I'd put that guitar against ANY 000-sized long scale guitar in the world, regardless of price. It's a monster.

But that's not really the point. The point is Big Stick declared Sitka to be the best, said all the top builders agree, etc. That's just not so. Since he's so into bustin' balls when he sees what he perceives as someone speaking over their pay grade I thought he at least deserved a polite correction. wink

Guitar woods and tone are things I am very intimate with, and not as a hobbyist. It was my livelyhood. There was a time not so long ago I was one of the, I dunno, top 25 or top 50 most knowledeable people on the west coast about the minutia of high-end acoustic guitar tones from the top builders, across their models, with the various wood combos. This was because I worked for too many years at one of the premier boutique high-end guitar shops on the west coast and, in the interest of banking 4% commissions on $2k- $15k or MORE guitars, it behooves one to play them... go to lunch with the reps and builders when they are in town, buy and own them yourself, and play them play them play them. And I did. Every day. One right after the other. Same exact model of Collings but one is Sitka, the other Adirondack. One has Brazilian rosewood, one Indian. Etc etc etc day after [bleep] day until you are so sick of hi-end guitars and gacking about stupid chit (like top woods, lol) that you want to puke <g>.

If you or VA really care to learn more, some quick googling will give the broad picture. I'm sure there's someone out there declaring Sitka best but the broad consensus is otherwise.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 11/30/10.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
JeffObama;

I know absolutely nothing about guitars. Don't ever pretend to.

What I do know, is a bit more about forestry and trees than you care to fathom.

And, that's what I'm hitting you on.

Now, if you want to cite "Adirondack" as a specific, legitimate species of spruce, then so be it.

Otherwise, you remain ignorant and erroneous.

As you do with more things in your life...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the industry which Stick was addressing, which is to say the acoustic guitar industry, the term has all the meaning in the world. I suspect it'd be a trivial matter to google up the Latin name for you right now on my phone, but it wouldn't change a thing in terms of the point I've made, and that you are trying to obfuscate. wink

You are being deliberately obtuse, and can't seem to manage a simple polite debate without interjecting personal jabs. I see it was a mistake to try to interact with you. My bad.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Have to tell you V, I would not care to debate Jeff on this subject as he seems to know his bickies from bread about guitars.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by no_one
Have to tell you V, I would not care to debate Jeff on this subject as he seems to know his bickies from bread about guitars.

Maybe so, but the subject is far from closed. Read some of the dissenting comments here:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?53619-Sitka-vs-Adirondack-spruce-top

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by no_one

Not all soundboards get used on guitars...
Not all luthiers agree on what sound qualities are best...
Not all wood from a given species and source will test the same, not even from the same tree... And there are huge overlaps in mechanical properties.
Few "experts" pass any tests of consistency of sound discrimination when tested against proper meters.

There is more bullscat in guitar making than the average Kansas feedlot.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I shall take your word for it as it is a subject I know jack about.

Page 22 of 35 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.