Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This doe was shot by my buddies 12yo son. It was his first deer ever and he was very proud. It was a nice sized doe for these parts and the young man made a great shot right. Broadside slight quarter, right behind the shoulder. What is surprising is the exit hole. He was using a 7mm08 with sierra matchking 130gr. Not sure why his father loaded match bullets for hunting. The deer was ranged at 152 yards. I would expect the bullet to have broken up inside the deer but it didn't. The exit hole was 6" long and 3-4" inches high. I could stick my fist through teh hole with no problems. All vitals were turned to jelly and the deer still ran 60 yards. Lung and a little gut (not punctured) are sticking through the exit hole. I am just shocked by the damage the little 130gr match bullet did to a good sized whitetail.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't fruit the beer!!!
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That just shows the intelligence of some people.

The Matchking is designed to shoot paper - not whitetails.

The other thing is someone so lazy as to shoot a doe on the first day of rifle season. Shows a lot of desperation.
Not a good example to set for a young kid - run into the woods, shoot the first thing that comes along, fill the freezer and leave.
I would bet that if they would have paid their dues that doe could have easily turned into a nice buck if they would have held off shooting the first thing that came down the trail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude lighten up it's the kids 1st deer matters not what it was just that it is...bet the kid was just as excited as if you or I shot a big buck....bullet choice(which was a bad one) is another story

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell'um we all at the campfire said good shooting and Congratulations for a job well done.

............comming unglued is what cup and core bullets do.
No matter what is says on the outside of the box.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer

The other thing is someone so lazy as to shoot a doe on the first day of rifle season. Shows a lot of desperation.
Not a good example to set for a young kid - run into the woods, shoot the first thing that comes along, fill the freezer and leave.
I would bet that if they would have paid their dues that doe could have easily turned into a nice buck if they would have held off shooting the first thing that came down the trail.

What an ass. It wasn't the first day and it matters not. Doe are legal to shoot with a tag, what is the big deal? The kids first deer, I'm happy for him. They sat all day on the farm passing up a lot of small bucks and does. It was getting late and this doe walked out into the field. Why not fill the freezer? Seems you may have some issues that need to be...

As for bullet choice, certainly not the best. Seems to have worked just fine and did massive damage.

Don't fruit the beer!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Do you keep you head up your butt for the warmth. It was the kids first deer he probably didn't care if it was a buck or a doe he just loved the hunt. It sounds like that is what you need to get back to, just finding joy in the hunt and screw the trophy bull crap.

Tell the kid good shooting and he shot a great first deer he should be proud.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Congrats on the youngsters first kill , we need more of those kids hunting ..ignore the idiotic comments form the peanut gallery.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks all. He is very proud of this deer. When I see him tonight I will share your congrats.

Don't fruit the beer!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spazz,

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations to the lad and his dad.

Ignore the the negative one. As the Sam Adams advertising sign says, for some people "It's All About The Beer", even at 7;02 AM.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I was going to question your intelligence, but I suspect you're plenty smart. You are just a troll having fun. But you are dangerous because someday you'll dispense your "wisdom" to someone that doesn't know better and they'll get themselves hurt. Please reconsider the game you're playing.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good job, young hunter!

Welcome to deer hunting, bring some friends along as the ranks are dwindling fast...........................

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds like duq beer has been watching to many "hunting" shows. Amazing how easily influenced some folks are. More congrats to the kid. He has every right to be proud, making a good shot and putting meat on the table for his family. That's how its been done in this country since what, maybe 1620 or thereabouts? Good job kid!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrat's to the young man on his first deer!

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would bet that if they would have paid their dues that doe could have easily turned into a nice buck
Not everyone buck hunts.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

What a [bleep].

-Piss into the wind.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Yup, all those meat hunters, what a bunch of morons.

The dear is dead, ain't it? And the bullet exited, no less. What more do you want?

I shot a <90lb. doe on opening day, and another large doe the next time I went out. I am going out again this evening to get another doe. How does that make me lazy or desperate, exactly?

Bullshit. They took that boy out and he made meat. Which just happens to be the traditional reason for hunting. You think any generation prior to WW1 had the luxury of spending a week in the woods and coming home with nothing because they didn't see a monster set of horns?

I don't know where you live(Kalifornia?), but around here, the deer don't change sexes.... grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Ya know, somebody oughta take yer post and shove it up yer azz. Dickweed.

Congrats to the 12 year old he dun good! Give him 3 attaboys for me will ya! grin

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

congrats to the youngin' on that deer.

i remember well when my son took his first deer (doe) at 12 too. something he & i will never forget.

-ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to the young man on making a dandy shot and killing his first deer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Congrats!!!!

(as an aside.. I'm another dumbazz that uses match BTHP bullets at times..... never had an issue with one either, though I am a bit pickier about shot choices....)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1234, 1badf350, 30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.