Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll I can say is physical conditioning and big guns go hand in hand. grin

Boots are the only thing needed in this case. Can't have any footsie ouchies. The rest is just for show. wink

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mules can trot. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fish head

Boots are the only thing needed in this case. Can't have any footsie ouchies. The rest is just for show. wink

Boots are important. You may need "purchase."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Back to the topic...

Ain't no reason you can't do both at the same time, re: the Biathlon.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What if it ain't snowed yet?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

That's a good one. "purchase" laugh

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Naw..Never wear boots,only tennis shoes till it get's to wet or snow hits.Always have a pair of Sorrels handy,though.

Jayco

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's a good one. "purchase" laugh

I didn't coin that one. Saw it in a movie, IIRC, Paul Newman and a woman were getting down to it, and she said "why do you still have your boots on?"

His one-word answer was "purchase."

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
What if it ain't snowed yet?

When at the range, sprint back and forth to your targets, and do at least 20 pushups before resuming fire.

People will look at you funny, but they ain't going to set up on the bench next to you either grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I try to do both equally, unfortunately it never works out. I would love to get more range time but that seems more difficult than getting exercise. When I can't get out to the range I do dry fire drills with snap caps but nothing beats the real deal. I will say this for sure; strength training and cardio are a BIG help for hunting. I am sure there are a bunch of nay sayers on this site that will disagree.
I have "let myself go" after I separated from military as I was quite a disgruntled soul and can attest as to how much of a difference it makes. I was at one time 6'2" and 250lbs. Now at a solid 207 lbs shooting off hand and in field positions is a lot easier as well as dragging the critter out after making the shot. Yes, I still drag my deer as I sold my four wheeler a couple or years ago. Yeah when your shooting off a bench it doesn't much matter as you tend to be your own lead sled but off hand or off sticks it makes a big difference to have good cardio health. Just my nickels worth.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
And I thought Framis/Olddouche1942/Karen was a worthless troll..

I've got to admit, I didn't feel that way at first, but I'm in the same camp you are after reading his endless crap.

As a matter of fact J Burns, I've got a challenge for you. Don't freak out 'cause it has nothing to do with long range guns.........Take a peak over in the classified's and look up the kind gesture Great Waputi did.......giving a kid or 2 free christmas gifts. Be a man and step up to the plate and do the same. I'll be the first to "attaboy" you if you do.

JBurns.....it has been brought to my attention that you do in fact like to do good things for kids, i.e. take underprivileged kids hunting, etc. If so, I want to give you a hearty THANKS on behalf of those affected, and offer my apology for jumping to some foregone conclusions. Please accept my sincere, and heartfelt retraction of something I obviously knew nothing about.
JGRaider

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't doubt John Burns is a good guy at heart, but he sure likes to argue about some stupid [bleep]!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Being on the trail with rifle in hand is the best way to get in shape for hunting season and do your scouting at the same time. I am lucky, living in an area with many steep and nasty trails, less than 2 miles from a wilderness boundry and plenty of places to go shooting at. A four mile hike a day with medium weight pack and rifle is about all I need to do, that and find targets to shoot at various ranges while out there.

Have to be OUT THERE!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't doubt John Burns is a good guy at heart, but he sure likes to argue about some stupid [bleep]!

Yes he does...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Fits right in then. Plenty of folks here in that category wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That is inarguable GW. Right on.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I shoot a fair amount over the winter, usually every weekend for an afternoon, 100 to 500 yards. Less in the spring as bear hunting and yard work start soaking up time. Summer less again as fishing, hiking, and more "honey do" list stuff take over.

Exercise is a year around thing, free weights and walking. After three knee operations I don't run a lot anymore. smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BasicBeer
When at the range, sprint back and forth to your targets, and do at least 20 pushups before resuming fire.

We already do that at my range. We have a mandatory target change every 5 minutes and the range officer only gives you 90 seconds before he calls the range hot, whether you're back or not.

Really makes it tough to change the 500-meter targets. Sometimes at the end of the day when I'm tired, I just hide behind the berm and wait for the next target change.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I play basketball twice a week year round.

I hunt/guide a bunch with horse/mules. There is a bunch of extra work that goes along with them. But they make getting to some places easier. I take stock sheep hunting too, but we usually do have a small pack out to where the mules can get. Although this year we got the mule right to the sheep.

I pretty much never shoot at a range unless you mean out of the loft door of my barn to do some sight in work. That is pretty rare too, because I have my loads ready and I don't see any need to change them.

My "practice" is mostly coyotes, p-dogs, and any other varmints that need shooting.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That is inarguable GW. Right on.

I wonder if there is a answer here to some other Burns questions that have been asked at the fire.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Hard to argue by yourself. (not meant towards you GW)

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (69sportfury, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.