Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Which is better in the 22-250 with 60gr and heavier bullets?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I hate to state the obvious, but if both are listed as acceptable powders in the manuals, the only way to know in YOUR rifle is to load a few with each, in various charge weights, and check the on-target and over-the-chronograph performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had to guess, and a guess is all it would be, I'd say Varget. The powders are so close that there is no real way to say what is best. Then again, it's more what is acceptable accuracy when we are talking what the rifle is used for. If you went through all the acceptable powders and built the best loads for each you would start burning out the barrel before you were done.

I built ultimate loads for a 22-250 and a 243. I actually made the cases for the 22-250 from 243 brass ( that's hard to do) and turned the necks to .005 (I think) below chamber. Now that rifle will put them in the same hole literally. That accuracy means nothing in the field, a dead chuck at 400 yards is a dead chuck.

Funny though, I loaded some cheap Winchester 45 grain bullets with 13 grains of Unique for fire forming. Dang load is accurate, like 5/8 inch at 100. Comes in handy when I'm close to barns and houses. It's like shooting a hornet.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Is varget bulkier than H-4895? I've never loaded varget is why I ask.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H-4895 is very slightly more dense. Theoretically the Varget should fill the case slightly more per weight than the H-4895. When I do this i go with what I want to work. Varget goes through the measure better. Since I'm tossing a coin on what I think will be best, might as well try what I want to work first.

Last edited by crosshair; 12/13/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Another thing to ask is, when you say "better", how do you mean that?

Best accuracy, highest velocities (with the slightly heavier than "normal" bullets), etc.?

In other words, which is more important?

Absolute accuracy regardless of velocity, or max speed with the heavier bullets, even if it means giving up a little accuracy (though obviously still staying within acceptable, whatever they are, accuracy guidelines)?

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'd like top accuracy and velocity. I'm about to start loading the 22-250 and need to get some powder to start with so was wanting some input on where to start. Both powders look like good ones. I want an extreme powder to reduce temperature sensitivity.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Varget looks like it will fill the case better.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Varget is a skosh slower and a little bulkier, too.
I basically use them side by side, one or the other will make a great load under your bullet.
Both powders will work well in the 22-250, or should, the Varget will likely be more appropriate for the heavier bullets.
I cooked up some loads under 55s for a couple of 250s (not mine) and they both shot well with Varget without any scary events. If I remember right, case fill percentage was not an issue. Plenty of room, but not too much.
Take a look at load data for both powders, that will show you which has the most zoom for each bullet weight.
One issue you want to watch with both powders is filling the case at the 100 percent mark, depending on your seating depth.
I (and others) have found that when I have bullets making intermediate contact with the powder column, they "stack" inconsistently, which shows up downrange.
You can tamp, or jiggle, or shuffle the case and powder before seating, or charge it "just so" -- but it's a pain in the butt.
You can "crunch" the powder, or have it "almost" fill but not quite, and both are more consistent than if the powder is "kissing" the bullet base.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Which ever one give you the best accuracy

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the accuracy rules. 100-150 fps don't really mean much.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dave, in your experience then I need a compressed load?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LBP
Which is better in the 22-250 with 60gr and heavier bullets?

If you were talking a 223 then I would say Varget would be my first choice and H-4895 my second choice.........in a 22-250 with 60gr and heavier bullets I would not choose either, I would choose a powder of more appropriate burn rate like starting with Win760 or H414(same powder different package), if you dont like the ball powders then go with one of the 4350 clones, my personal favorite with a 22-250 and heavies is IMR4831 followed by VVN160.
H4895, and Varget will work but will give you high ES and SD's because the burn rate is too fast

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be looking at H380...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
How is 380 for temperature sensitivity?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like H4895 due to the fact it'll ignite just fine, and give acceptable accuracy even with loads that are a full 40% down off of maximum loads. It sure makes it easy to ease little kids up to higher speed loads seamlessly.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LBP
How is 380 for temperature sensitivity?

perhaps the most temp. sensetive powder ever....
that I have tried

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not sure I would like that. I shoot in the summer in 100+ and in the teens in winter. The Hodgdon Extreme powders help with this.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
LP,

Been reloading the 22-250 for about 30 years now.

During that time I have tried just about every powder in it with 40-60g slugs.

IMHO, it's hard to beat Varget. With just about any bullet weight, it performs the same as H4895. Between the two- your rifle will decide the question.

One down side about Varget is the more you try it in OTHER cartridges the more is will replace other powders. I have had such good luck with Varget in light to medium weight slugs with everything from 22-250s to 30-06's that it is has replaced several other powders on my bench.

As to an even better powder- Hodgdon is about to release the new Superformance powders they make for Hornday. The data on Hodgdon's site shows 3,750 PFS with that powder behind a 60g slug. That's a full 200 FPS faster than other powders generate.

In the meantime, I would be sure and give Varget a shot.

Last edited by jim62; 12/13/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LBP
Not sure I would like that. I shoot in the summer in 100+ and in the teens in winter. The Hodgdon Extreme powders help with this.

LBP,
You have to understand that temp sensitivity is relative to what you are using it in. for example Varget is far less temp. sensitive in a .223 Rem than it is in a 22-250. in a .223Rem it is a slower burning powder but in a 22-250 with heavy bullets it is a fast burning powder.
Dont be sucked into the hype "EXTREME" thinking you have better temp sensitivity, you also have to choose appropriate burn rate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.