-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot a lot of both powders in my 22-250, using 55gr Sierra BTHP's. 34.0 IMR 4895, 35.5 Varget.
Velocities are close enough that it does't matter, avg is 3650-3675. Accuracy is SUPERB!
I have not shot anything heavier than 55 grains, so can't comment.
Either way, you have a winner.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by LBP
Not sure I would like that. I shoot in the summer in 100+ and in the teens in winter. The Hodgdon Extreme powders help with this.

LBP,
You have to understand that temp sensitivity is relative to what you are using it in. for example Varget is far less temp. sensitive in a .223 Rem than it is in a 22-250. in a .223Rem it is a slower burning powder but in a 22-250 with heavy bullets it is a fast burning powder.
Dont be sucked into the hype "EXTREME" thinking you have better temp sensitivity, you also have to choose appropriate burn rate.

BS.

There is no "hype" in the Extreme powders. It is not contingent on the burn rate vs case capacity.

I have Varget loads for 22-250s using 37.5 g and one load for a 110 g V max with 60g in a 30-06.

Both loads shoot the same in freezing weather or extreme heat.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Jim, how does Varget fill the cases? Someone on here said I needed a Compressed load or it would string shots. Never heard that but could be I guess.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jim62
LP,

40-60g slugs.

IMHO, it's hard to beat Varget. With just about any bullet weight,

I guess your experience is different than mine, with 40gr slugs I agree with you that Varget is great, with 60's it would NEVER be my choice in a 22-250

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
LP,

40-60g slugs.

IMHO, it's hard to beat Varget. With just about any bullet weight,

I guess your experience is different than mine, with 40gr slugs I agree with you that Varget is great, with 60's it would NEVER be my choice in a 22-250

Go on Hodgdon's reloading data site and compare the pressure/velocity relationships of Varget vs just about ANY other powder they list for a 60g slug.

The Varget hangs with any of them. Better in fact, than it does with lighter bullets.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geez, how blind I am!!You asked about H-4895, not the IMR .
IMR and H-4895 are VERY close in burn rates and loadings.
But, check your manuals to be sure.
Get faster MV's with H, better accuracy with IMR in my rifle.
But to settle one thing, all I use now is Varget.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LBP
Not sure I would like that. I shoot in the summer in 100+ and in the teens in winter. The Hodgdon Extreme powders help with this.

LBP,
You have to understand that temp sensitivity is relative to what you are using it in. for example Varget is far less temp. sensitive in a .223 Rem than it is in a 22-250. in a .223Rem it is a slower burning powder but in a 22-250 with heavy bullets it is a fast burning powder.
Dont be sucked into the hype "EXTREME" thinking you have better temp sensitivity, you also have to choose appropriate burn rate.

BS.

There is no "hype" in the Extreme powders. It is not contingent on the burn rate vs case capacity.

I have Varget loads for 22-250s using 37.5 g and one load for a 110 g V max with 60g in a 30-06.

I agree BS..... if you really believe that your loads shoot the "same" in freezing weather or extreme heat you are full of schitt and need to shoot your loads through a chronograph in such conditions.
If you dont think that appropriate burn rate also plays a part then you are also full of schitt once again.......go back to school jimmy and come back with a better attitude

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LBP

LBP,

BS.

I agree BS..... if you really believe that your loads shoot the "same" in freezing weather or extreme heat you are full of schitt and need to shoot your loads through a chronograph in such conditions.
If you dont think that appropriate burn rate also plays a part then you are also full of schitt once again.......go back to school jimmy and come back with a better attitude

Look, Varget is just about THE most stable of all the Hodgdon extreme powders in terms of temp variation.

Of course there is SOME variation in wide temp ranges, but NOTHING like other powders. No matter what case they are used in.

When you claim there is NO advantage to Extreme powders or their temp stability does not exist or only exists when a powder is used in a certain sized case-, sorry, that's BS.

I already shot down your claim that Varget does not work well with heavy bullets in the 22-250 with Hodgdon's OWN data.

Perhaps you should contact HODGDON with your "findings" so they can stop wasting their time with the Extreme powder line.
Maybe they could hire you as a lab technician.. You seem certain that you know more about their own product than THEY do... grin

You sound like a guy who dotes on Alliant and IMR powders and has an axe to grind against the Hodgdon Extremes.

In any case, you've provided no data to back up your claims other than snarky remarks.

Last edited by jim62; 12/13/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Varget is sweet stuff, nice in the .308 as well, and even the .375 H&H

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LBP
Jim, how does Varget fill the cases? Someone on here said I needed a Compressed load or it would string shots. Never heard that but could be I guess.

L,

I have not seen that with Varget at all. It does not seem to need any compression.

It's produced sub 1/2" groups in a factory barreled 22-250 with several bullets and done right at 1/2" in a 30-06 Mauser with 110g V max slugs. Neither load is compressed and I don't see how the accuracy could be much better.

Last edited by jim62; 12/13/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think I will give Varget a try first and H-4895 if the Varget dosn't work out. I appreciate the help.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
LP

Good luck.

Really, I don't think with either powder you are going to have a tough time finding a good load for that 22-250 with the 60g slugs. wink

Unless ,of course your rifle does not like heavy bullets due to twist rate etc, then that's a hole 'nother kettle of fish..

To all gunmaker critics-
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
jim62,
you might be getting just a little bit over zealous.
I had a couple 22-250's that both loved H380 with 55gr NBT's, I later bought a 220 swift and tried H380 with 55gr NBT's in that rifle as well.
The 220 swift has a slightly larger case capacity than a 22-250 and is absolutely more temp sensetive with H380 than it is with a 22-250.

Also if you notice all of hodgon's Extreme powders are extruded.
Most other manufacturers extruded powders are close, for the most part(not all, so dont fly off the deep) it is the ball powders that are the least temp. sensetive

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP
I think I will give Varget a try first and H-4895 if the Varget dosn't work out. I appreciate the help.

not directly relevant to the 22-250 but moreso to the powders being discussed...

years back my coyote hunting partner and i both used .243s w/85gr SGKs and imr 4895...

he started experimenting with the 70 ballistic tip and found that varget worked much better for him with that bullet...
i liked the 70 ballistic tip but got less than desired results with either imr 4895 or varget...a friend tipped me off to the possibilities of RL15, and i found the sweet spot for my rifle, with that bullet...

as said above, you can't try every load in the books, and the rl15 info was not in any book. i called the manufacturer about it for guidance...

just be aware of other avenues...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,299 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.