Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I see that you like the 17HMR, but you way overstate your case for it and against the 22mag. The 22mag is a pretty decent round and works well. I don't think it has any advantages over the 17HMR, but I will still shoot my 22 mags.

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree totally with what JB wrote..........Moreover, the 5mm is the best of the lot! Wish I still had one!!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last spring I went on a ground squirrel safari with a good friend who has access to very rich dirt rat hunting grounds..

Like most ranchers/farmers in Central California, he's always considered shooting dirt rats with anything other than a .22 LR as silly. I brought along a .223 squirrel sniper shooting hot 50 gr. BT's, a .22 mag shooting 30 gr. winchester supreme hollowpoints and a .17 HMR shooting hornady 17 gr. vmax's. I let him shoot them all, from "at your feet" to "dude, I can't see that far" ranges.

At the end of the day I had to pry the .22 mag out of his hands.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RL, next time just give him a couple cups of coffee. He'll set it down soon enough and you can avoid the wrasslin' part....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both work on small critters.
I own both if one goes it will be the 17. On small critters the mag seems more devastating from what I can tell.
If I am going to hunt something coyote size I will use a centerfire anyway.

Far to petty of an issue to argue over anywho. You use what pleases you, and I'll do the same.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keith
I shot two coyotes at ranges from 25-35 yards, broadside with a 17 HMR, they were never found.

22 Mag with Winchester Super X 40g hp seems to hit 4x as hard as the 17 hmr.

For Richardson's ground squirrels, p. dogs, chipmunks, black birds, Crows the 17 hmr is a great round.

+1 very well said.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I shot two coyotes at ranges from 25-35 yards, broadside with a 17 HMR, they were never found.

For Richardson's ground squirrels, p. dogs, chipmunks, black birds, Crows the 17 hmr is a great round.

+1 very well said.

Horseapples.

Especially that last line of the first quote.

Funny, Funny stuff.

A 17g Vmax will do this to a Kansas Jackrabbit at 180 yards.

I guess he died of sheer fright instead of that nickle sized hole knocked out of his upper shoulder?

[Linked Image].

Last edited by jim62; 12/13/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 22 Mag around here somewhere .....

Not a lot of crittervarmintrodents around here to slay.

If the 22LR won't do the job then I have 223 & up

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

+1 very well said.

Horseapples.

Especially that last line of the first quote.

Funny, Funny stuff.

A 17g Vmax will do this to a Kansas Jackrabbit at 180 yards.

I guess he died of sheer fright instead of that nickle sized hole knocked out of his upper shoulder?

[Linked Image].

Nice picture and great shot jim, somehow it doesn't look like a coyote though. I thought keith said he shot two coyotes in his post and he didn't recover them. I may be wrong but that is how I read it. I've had the same problem with the 17 and so have 2 of my friends, they just don't kill coyotes or larger animals like the 22 mag does. I also agree the 17 is the cats meowe for sage rats and pd's and I guess I'd add jack rabbit to the list at up to 200 yds. After that, I'm swithching over to something bigger like the 223 or 22-250.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
B,

My main refute to the post you cited was that last line.
It's good too see that when confronted with evidence you admit that a 17HMR slug does not bounce off of Jackrabbits as well. wink

I say this about the 17HMRs and coyotes.

Anyone who shoots a coyote inside 100 yards 17HMR and loses that animal-

A) Does not know where to hit a 'Yote with a rimfire for sure drops- i.e. the C.N.S.

or

B) Can't shoot worth a damn..

Period.

In which case NO currently available rimfire load is going to make up for the shooter's shortcomings. There is not a rimfire round made- 17 OR 22 cal that will drop 'yotes consistently with any old hit in the thorax.

Blaming perfectly good equipment for sloppy shooting/bullet placement is the highpoint of stupidity.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why shoot a 17HMR when the .22Mag is so much better?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
once you get past the thrill of the 17hmr, I would prefer a 22WMR to the 17 because the 22WMR hits with more authoriy.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ditto

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jim62
B,

My main refute to the post you cited was that last line.
It's good too see that when confronted with evidence you admit that a 17HMR slug does not bounce off of Jackrabbits as well. wink

I say this about the 17HMRs and coyotes.

Anyone who shoots a coyote inside 100 yards 17HMR and loses that animal-

A) Does not know where to hit a 'Yote with a rimfire for sure drops- i.e. the C.N.S.

or

B) Can't shoot worth a damn..

Period.

In which case NO currently available rimfire load is going to make up for the shooter's shortcomings. There is not a rimfire round made- 17 OR 22 cal that will drop 'yotes consistently with any old hit in the thorax.

Blaming perfectly good equipment for sloppy shooting/bullet placement is the highpoint of stupidity.

Sorry Jim, I still dissagree. I've killed thousands of jacks in Nevada where I grew up. You cannot compare that to a coyote. My friends and I have made good shots on coyotes with the 17 hmr and my friend was at one point going to bash his rifle over his tailgate. He has way more confirmed coyote kills than I do because of the many coyote competitions he partakes in. His count 2 weekends ago was 31 yotes in 2 days. I've seen the 17 hmr's deficiencies first hand and it wasn't due to poor shooting. As I've noticed with some of your posts it seems you dissagree with a lot of people just because it has not been your experience: As we all know everyone's experience may not be the same. Take care, bsa.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CNS on a yote is a very small target and a good way to miss a little and have a wounded animal on your hands. Too small of a target even on larger big game animals. No experienced thoughtful hunter aims for anything BUT the heart lung area of a game animal and if a rifle will not put them down with a shot to that area it is inadequate for that animal. So, if a thoracic hit to a Coyote with a 17HMR is not a dead sure right now killer then it is an inadequate round for such. I have not even thought to try such so cannot speak to it from personal experience (would also choose larger armament) but had to address the really silly statement about CNS shots. A trick shot attempted by or 'braqged' about by the uninitiated or inexperienced excepting from quite close range under good conditions and circumstances. And yes, the Elephant in my avatar was taken with a heart shot. To say a rifle is adequate for whatever animal if it will kill with a CNS shot would make the 22 Hornet an Elk rifle. Silly beyond the pale.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by safariman
CNS on a yote is a very small target and a good way to miss a little and have a wounded animal on your hands. Too small of a target even on larger big game animals. No experienced thoughtful hunter aims for anything BUT the heart lung area of a game animal and if a rifle will not put them down with a shot to that area it is inadequate for that animal. So, if a thoracic hit to a Coyote with a 17HMR is not a dead sure right now killer then it is an inadequate round for such. I have not even thought to try such so cannot speak to it from personal experience (would also choose larger armament) but had to address the really silly statement about CNS shots. A trick shot attempted by or 'braqged' about by the uninitiated or inexperienced excepting from quite close range under good conditions and circumstances. And yes, the Elephant in my avatar was taken with a heart shot. To say a rifle is adequate for whatever animal if it will kill with a CNS shot would make the 22 Hornet an Elk rifle. Silly beyond the pale.

In terms of target size,head shots on coyotes are just as easy as clean thoracic hit on a squirrel or cottonatail rabbit..

My point is, if you TRULY care about humane kills on Coyotes, those are the ONLY shots folks should be taking with ANY currently available 17 OR 22 rimfire. Period.

If you like "runners" than by all means pretend "the Mighty" 22 mag is a 22-250 and fire at will. If you loose most of them in the Sage or tall grass, don't blame the round- be it 17 or 22.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a difference between hitting the head, and hitting the brain. Lots of now deceased former elephant hunters know this all too well. Plenty of deer get thier jaws and such blown off by Davey Crocket wannabees every year. If you cannot kill it with a chest shot, get a bigger rifle, period. I stand by my comments. At the origin of the post, the point that was trying to be made was the superiority of the 17HMR to a 22 MAgnum. Now we are to beleive that the intent of this idea this was relgated to brain shots. Not flying so well here.

Sorry, a chest hit coyote, hit by a 40gr HP from a 22 Magnum at ranges of 75 or so yards or less is a very dead yodeler. Won't go all that far either. Longer range - get your 222 or similar. No longer rimfire suitable.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by safariman
There is a difference between hitting the head, and hitting the brain. Lots of now deceased former elephant hunters know this all too well. Plenty of deer get thier jaws and such blown off by Davey Crocket wannabees every year. If you cannot kill it with a chest shot, get a bigger rifle, period. I stand by my comments. At the origin of the post, the point that was trying to be made was the superiority of the 17HMR to a 22 MAgnum. Now we are to beleive that the intent of this idea this was relgated to brain shots. Not flying so well here.

Sorry, a chest hit coyote, hit by a 40gr HP from a 22 Magnum at ranges of 75 or so yards or less is a very dead yodeler. Won't go all that far either. Longer range - get your 222 or similar. No longer rimfire suitable.

Safariman,

Actually, I am fine with the origional topic of this thread. As a rimfire round overall ,the 17HMR IS superior to a .22 mag. And ,I know all about the anotomy of an animal's skull thank you.

No need to be "Dave Crockett" -just a competent rifle shot. Which many folks in this world are NOT, so they blame their armament.

A 40g bullet at 1,900FPS does not elevate the 22 mag into centerfire level of performance. It is still literally HALF the rifle that the little .22 Hornet is.

Inside 75 yards,if someone feels the need to take chest shots on coyotes with a rimfire, the 22 mag WILL NOT kill coyote 'em any deader than a 17HMR will with 20 grain slugs... Actually, with lung hits ,a 40g 22 mag load won't kill them any better than a 22LR with hollowpoints.

They all produce a holes going in and going out with a runner to be trailed 90% of the time.

No 22-250 "smackdown" with any of them.. Which is why I say and stand by based on experience- that C.N.S. hits are the only way to go on something as large as a Coyote with a rimfire.

Last edited by jim62; 12/14/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a rimfire round overall ,the 17HMR IS superior to a .22 mag

Not in a 5 mph wind.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Swampman700
As a rimfire round overall ,the 17HMR IS superior to a .22 mag

Not in a 5 mph wind.

Swampy.

Actually shoot the two rounds SIDE BY SIDE in the same wind conditions.

It's no contest- the 17HMR drifts less. About 2/3s as much.

It's not even debatable to someone who's actually done it and honestly compared them.

BTW, every source of Ballistic data backs this up.

Which makes sense, because it's true.

Last edited by jim62; 12/14/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,752
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.