Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a Winchester Model 70 7mm magnum project rifle yesterday. I am considering shortening the 26 inch barrel to 22 inches to make it a bit handier.

I could give a hang about loosing a little velocity.

Has anyone ever run a 22 inch 7RM? If so what was your experience.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 12/15/10.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope.

But I run a 20 on a 7/08 grin

That's alot of case capacity to burn in 22". You may could somewhat keep your velocity up by using a slightly faster burning powder.

This would also keep it from looking like a muzzleloader when you fired it. grin

Just be real careful if you go to a little faster burning powder.

Maybe somebody who has dealt with that on a 7 Mag. can help you out.

JM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Nope.

But I run a 20 on a 7/08. grin

Uh, me too smile

Edited for clarification: The 7/08 is now gone down the road.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 12/15/10.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran a BAR 30/06 with an 18 1/2 tube and other than causing deafness, it worked fine.

IIRC, I ran 56 grains of IMR 4350 pushing a 165 gr. Partition. Muzzle velocity was a little above 2500 fps. (Basically, a .300 Savage)

In mine, the bullet didn't stabilize until it got out there a ways.

Should make a handy rifle, though it might keyhole slightly at closer ranges.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What I have in mind is creating a relatively light (target weight is 8 lbs or so all up using the factory issued synthetic stock), tough rifle that can be tossed in the truck and carried up the steep ridges without breaking the bank.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will do that in spades. Mine wasn't light, (no BAR is, even with the barrel chopped) but it handled pretty good.

I had an older K-1.5 on it and used it for years as a slippin' gun and piggie shooter.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't understand the desire to shorten the barrel on a 7mm magnum. To me at least, the 7mm Mag. is a rifle one choses for open country, longer range shooting.

In that sort of hunting a longer (26") barrel isn't going to make much difference in how handy the rifle is when hunting. If any rifle NEEDS more barrel length it is the big magnum rounds that burn a lot of powder and give back a lot of velosity. To trim the barrel on a 7mm Mag. to 22" will basically give you 200-250 fps less velosity and that means it is equivalent to the .280 Rem. Why not just shoot the .280 in the first place and burn less powder??

If your hunting is in thicker terrain where a 4" shorter barrel really is desirable.....shots will likely be shorter and the 7mm Magnum is hardly the first chambering I'd choose. There's no need for the high velosity/flat trajectory that it offers. A .280 or even better .30-06 would be a much better choice at ranges under 250 yards.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I don't understand the desire to shorten the barrel on a 7mm magnum. To me at least, the 7mm Mag. is a rifle one choses for open country, longer range shooting.

In that sort of hunting a longer (26") barrel isn't going to make much difference in how handy the rifle is when hunting. If any rifle NEEDS more barrel length it is the big magnum rounds that burn a lot of powder and give back a lot of velosity. To trim the barrel on a 7mm Mag. to 22" will basically give you 200-250 fps less velosity and that means it is equivalent to the .280 Rem. Why not just shoot the .280 in the first place and burn less powder??

If your hunting is in thicker terrain where a 4" shorter barrel really is desirable.....shots will likely be shorter and the 7mm Magnum is hardly the first chambering I'd choose. There's no need for the high velosity/flat trajectory that it offers. A .280 or even better .30-06 would be a much better choice at ranges under 250 yards.

If I need long range I already have that with several rifles. The 7Mag was available at the right price and I just want to try something different.

Also, based on what I have seen in chronographing several rifles the velocity loss will be closer to 125fps than 250 fps.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
HBB;

If you already have the 7-08, the 7RM is just going to give you much more blast and somewhat better performance, but no deer will ever know the difference.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
HBB;

If you already have the 7-08, the 7RM is just going to give you much more blast and somewhat better performance, but no deer will ever know the difference.

The 7/08 is now gone.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
No first hand experience but I have a story:

A friend got tired of dragging his 24" barreled 7RM around so he chopped it to 17". I'm sure performance dropped considerably, it was terrible loud, would dang near set the woods on fire with the ball of flame that it expelled, but it was just as accurate and much easier to carry according to him.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
HBB;

The 7/08 is now gone.

You f'ked up.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
HBB,

While you are figuring this out, I will shoot you some more deer. Ha.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Swap some stuff for a Kimber Montana in 7WSM, and you're there with the weight and the performance.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by POPBEAR
HBB,

ROLLIN'!

The old man is HARSH this morning.... grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
HBB,

ROLLIN'!

The old man is HARSH this morning.... grin

The old man is off his medication this morning.

I'll remember stuff like this next time he needs three deer toted off the mountain. wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
HBB;

The 7/08 is now gone.

You f'ked up.

It ain't the first time.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Swap some stuff for a Kimber Montana in 7WSM, and you're there with the weight and the performance.

Too much money

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
HBB,

Ouch laugh

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Too much money

Ergo, the swap.

Buy the good schit once, and it's MUCH cheaper.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.