Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You're forgetting it's four ounce gloves in MMA, and the vast amount of shots landed are power shots to the head.

I can run off a list a mile long of punch drunk MMA fighters - Liddell, Gary Goodridge, Kazushi Sakuraba, Wanderlei Silva, Don Frye, Matt Lindland, and Jens Pulver all immediatley come to mind.

The reason boxing has more punch drunk fighters is due to the length of time boxing has been a major sport. MMA has only been around in a sanctioned form for 10 years, and has only been popular for 5 years.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't see how it's possible for cage fighters to have the head injuries boxers do....they wrestle more than punch.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Apparantly, you don't watch much MMA.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really can't stand it.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Let's keep it that way.

Brian.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can see why some would like to watch the unathletic wrestle on the ground like high school kids.....some just can't box.

HeHe. Would that be non-athletic? grin

Last edited by Stan V; 12/15/10.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, every time I watch Georges St. Pierre nail a superman jab to leg kick combo, I think "Man, this guy isn't athletic at all."

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What was that athletic Japanese dude that fought Ali on his back....sort of sums it all up.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Antonio Inoki, who wasn't a fighter but a pro wrestler.

That was supposed to be a pro wrestling match, but a bunch of boxing scribes got on Ali for defaming the good name of boxing by doing pro wrestling when he was still heavyweight champion, so he made serious rule changes literaly hours before the event. The fight would be real, only Inoki couldn't go for any takedowns, and could only kick while one knee was on the ground. They thought it would force Inoki into a boxing match. They were wrong.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I think that farce was more exciting than today's cage fights.....of course, Ali was involved.

When the goal is who can get to the ground the quickest it loses the appeal of a skilled sport. Trip, fall and have someone jump on you ain't skill.....boxing gets a count, or standing 8 and the fight resumes on your feet.

Dempsey would be a champion cage fighter.

All American

All the time
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V
Well, I think that farce was more exciting than today's cage fights.....of course, Ali was involved.

No. Not even close.

When the goal is who can get to the ground the quickest it loses the appeal of a skilled sport. Trip, fall and have someone jump on you ain't skill.....

You should stop talking about MMA, because you obviously don't know jack about it, and it's beginning to become embarrasing.

Dempsey would be a champion cage fighter.

Well, he was one of the earliest proponents of cross training in multiple martial arts, and even wrote a book on the subject.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know enough about it to know it's boring.....unless you're a wrestling fan. Maybe if they start jumping from the top rope...er, pole...I'd watch.

All American

All the time
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How much do those top MMA fighters make per fight?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread is the sad reality of boxing; the sport is dead. As soon as you bring up boxing, the discussion immediately turns to MMA. America has spoken and MMA is the fighting sport. Boxing will always have a devoted following (me) and MMA is the fighting sport of the future like it or not (and I don't care for it).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
This thread is the sad reality of boxing; the sport is dead. As soon as you bring up boxing, the discussion immediately turns to MMA. America has spoken and MMA is the fighting sport. Boxing will always have a devoted following (me) and MMA is the fighting sport of the future like it or not (and I don't care for it).

Well, of course you're wrong....we need a couple of great fighters in heavy divisions. Pacman can't carry the sport....a great heavyweight can.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
How much do those top MMA fighters make per fight?

Depends on the fighter. A big star like Georges St. Pierre or Brock Lesnar is going to bring in around $500,000 as their base pay, and then on top of that they get a cut of the pay per view (usually $2-$4 per purchase over a certain buyrate level). Then they get sponsorships, which sometimes can add up to be more than their base pay.

But your average guy just breaking into the big show is going to make between 5 and 5 ($5,000 to show, $5,000 to win) to 12 and 12, depending on what kind of resume and name value they bring. Your kind of mid-tier guy is going to make around 30 and 30. You can double that if he's a promising heavyweight.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Actually, MMA has kept boxing alive. People like me who never would have watched boxing otherwise, suddenly became interested because I started watching MMA and enjoyed the striking aspect of it. So I started watching boxing and kick boxing. I know a LOT of other MMA fans who now follow both those sports closely.

It's all fight sport and one supports the other. Heck, MMA has kept scholastic wrestling alive.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, of course you're wrong....we need a couple of great fighters in heavy divisions. Pacman can't carry the sport....a great heavyweight can.

I'd rather watch Pacman than any heavyweight.

Period.

Brian.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
On a boxing note, last night I watched the replay of last Saturday night's Khan-Maidana fight. Quite entertaining; Maidana was just one punch shy of winning it, and it's too bad he couldn't find that last good one. He was a warrior, and Khan will be hurting for a month.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't catch that fight due to the Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck card being on, but I heard it was a war and a half. I'll need to check it out online.

Lotta fight of the year talk floating around after that fight.

Brian.

Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 14 invisible), 825 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.