Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
You attention whore. Can't you step out of your front door without some sort of dangerous thing happening to you?

Well, no dark assassins in Ford Explorers yet.... wink

....and since I am currently averaging one scary situation every ten years, I hope to experience another three or four of these things.......

on a more serious note, the question that I hae been mulling over is whether I would have taken that route at that time of night had I not been armed. The answer is probably not.

A dangerous practice to fall into, taking risks you otherwise wouldn't.

Birdwatcher

Good point, but sometimes your other option is to stay in your home, and that's not an acceptable option in my opinion, so you equip yourself accordingly.

For example, I've been walking the same neighborhood for seven years now, and have never been badly harassed by a dog I would describe as medium to large sized. A few months ago a dog by that description (60-70 lbs) started hanging out near the Cold Storage (meat processing place) where he gets fed scraps. He had the bad habit of hiding in the bushes, waiting for me to pass by so my back is to him, and then charging me, fur up, low growl, with all evil intent, and near fearlessness. First few times, I backed him down strictly with attitude and counter-fearlessness, but eventually started carrying a bludgeon of one sort or another (eventually settling on a walking stick with a metal ball for a handle which is designed to use like a light mace in self defense), just in case my fearlessness routine stopped working and I actually needed to take action to defend myself against this animal. I had a handgun, but am very reluctant to use it in this situation because of the necessity of getting the law and the courts involved in such an event.

PS The dog problem finally disappeared when the Cold Storage owner actually witnessed this dog charging me in broad daylight. He apologized profusely, and assured me the dog would be gone within days, even though he denied owning it. He said he knew someone who would take it, so he didn't end up in anyone's breakfast sausage or anything.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pepper spray works great for dogs...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
So I hear, but not comfortable without a means of putting something solid between me and the dog's jaws.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Should I be worried with something about the lock mechanism?

I have no intention of ever utilizing that feature.

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention but I haven't seen or heard much said about the lock mechanisms being the fault of specific failures. I like the gun, but if there is a consistent issue, I can put the money towards something else.
There are reams of reports of those locks self-engaging under recoil, rendering the gun inoperable.

Whatever . . . .

1,000s of rounds though mine. No problem.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well then, I guess the next question is this:

Would the lock keep you from buying a new model if this is the gun you want? (don't worry TRH, I already know how you feel)
I'm not Sam, but my answer is "no, it would not,". I thought TRH had a couple of "lock guns". Maybe I'm mistaken. Hope Hawk will clarify it for me if I'm wrong.

I'm not a fan of the lock system. The MIM parts don't bother me in the least. I never even consider the warranty on a gun because to me, most warranties are bogus. I don't like funking around and sending stuff back and forth through the mail, insuring, having to go through an FFL possibly, worrying about laws, etc. So for me, a warranty on a gun is worthless. That out of the way, it becomes only about the lock. I have two modern Smiths, one an M&P and the other a 629. The M&P doesn't have a lock because it's an LEO edition. The Mountain Gun has one and it hasn't been a problem. Most things with moving parts or a pusssy will eventually give problems so I don't sweat it. The lock specifically can be removed and the Smith site has plenty of info about that if the lock bothers you. I personally would get it and do a normal break in/reliability test on it and if it passes, carry it. Again, get rid of the lock if it bothers you.

FWIW, I agree with Hawk on buying one that's sans lock, but the problem is you generally can't find what you want, when you want it, if you are 100% on this plan. I've never locked mine. I guess the key(s) are in the box for it, wherever it is.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Well then, I guess the next question is this:

Would the lock keep you from buying a new model if this is the gun you want? (don't worry TRH, I already know how you feel)
I'm not Sam, but my answer is "no, it would not,". I thought TRH had a couple of "lock guns". Maybe I'm mistaken. Hope Hawk will clarify it for me if I'm wrong.
Not wrong. I have two such revolvers, but wouldn't trust my life to one of them unless I first had the lock removed. Had three, but sold one, and probably will sell another. The only one I intend to keep is one that cannot be replaced with a pre-lock version, since it's their scandium super lightweight .44 Magnum Model 329PD, which wasn't made before they had the locks.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

Not so much.....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9

Not so much.....

George
Could you elaborate?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It will work on some dogs, some of the time. I'm not willing to bet my arm/leg on it.

Dogs with any real drive will power through spray like it's not there.

Somewhere I have a pic of a Shep and handler walking through a cloud of OC/tear gas (mix). Handler is in a mask, K9 is just looking for a bite. Think a spray can can match that?

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
It will work on some dogs, some of the time. I'm not willing to bet my arm/leg on it.

Dogs with any real drive will power through spray like it's not there.

Somewhere I have a pic of a Shep and handler walking through a cloud of OC/tear gas (mix). Handler is in a mask, K9 is just looking for a bite. Think a spray can can match that?

George
That's about what I figured. Thanks for verifying it.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Any questions, now, as to why ranging pits, etc., just get shot?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Any questions, now, as to why ranging pits, etc., just get shot?

Some future Darwin award hopefuls want to trust pepper spray for Bear protection. Amazing how some people just don't and never will get it..

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've sprayed quite a few dogs and not had one that hung around to contest it. Guess they were all pussies. In truth, none of them were trained or high drive dogs really, mostly mutts. If spray didn't work there was always some sort of centerfire backup.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It's not just trained dogs. I've had the occasion to spray more than a couple sheps/rots/pits that later got smacked with a maglite when they kept coming.

George

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not just trained dogs. I've had the occasion to spray more than a couple sheps/rots/pits that later got smacked with a maglite when they kept coming.

I'm 4-0 with bear spray so far; two pits, a boxer, a rott, and a big mean yellow mutt. Actually sprayed low on every one, but it was that 30 ft blast that seemed to startle 'em.

I'm not sure I could stop a rott with a mag lite without getting myself chewed on at least a little.

Shooting a dog would be a last resort, right now where I live I'm just the strange old White guy with the dogs, I don't wanna be the strange old White guy with the dogs who carries a gun.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I'm 4-0 with bear spray so far; two pits, a boxer, a rott, and a big mean yellow mutt. Actually sprayed low on every one, but it was that 30 ft blast that seemed to startle 'em.

I'm not sure I could stop a rott with a mag lite without getting myself chewed on at least a little.

Shooting a dog would be a last resort, right now where I live I'm just the strange old White guy with the dogs, I don't wanna be the strange old White guy with the dogs who carries a gun.

Birdwatcher

What brand of spray do you use?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The number of lock failures compared to total umber of revolvers sold with locks is so miniscule that it should not be considered.
My 329PD has never failed. My 500 and 460 have never failed. My model 60 Pro has never failed. My 686 has never failed........well I hope you see the point.
War Eagle is getting a great deal on one of S&W's hottest guns over the last three years. Good for him!

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shoots4fun
The number of lock failures compared to total umber of revolvers sold with locks is so miniscule that it should not be considered.
My 329PD has never failed. My 500 and 460 have never failed. My model 60 Pro has never failed. My 686 has never failed........well I hope you see the point.
War Eagle is getting a great deal on one of S&W's hottest guns over the last three years. Good for him!
That's kinda my take as well and as I pointed out, if the lock bothers a person, they are easily disabled.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by shoots4fun

My 329 lock failed. Spring jumped loose, the flag flops around, it'll self-lock at will. Sitting in the safe right now in that state, waiting for some love. It's a bad design, in that it fails closed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What brand of spray do you use?

"Frontiersman Bear Attack Deterrent" ( grin)

http://www.resistattack.com/Animal-Repellents/Frontiersman-Bear-Attack-Deterrent-260-Gr-Canister

I have bought five of these things over the years now, replacing them after each use, even though just a brief burst did the trick every time.

I use the 9.2 oz size, which ain't cheap at nearly sixty dollars (but still far cheaper than what could result from shooting someone's dog). Actually the earlier ones might have been a different brand, I get 'em at Bass Pro or Cabelas depending on whatevers easiest.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.