Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Gys, I have been reading a lot of posts bragging about the .223's effectiveness on deer, and am thinking about getting one for my girls to hunt with. I may well use it the rest of the year as a walking varmint gun, too. So the thought is to keep it as light as possible, preferably short, but accurate and reliable. Now for the hard part. I hear guys bragging about the CZ, the Kimber, the Tikka, and the Remington M7. I also hear that the M7 has some reliability issues in this caliber, the Kimber has accuracy issues, and the CZ has a 1 in 12 twist. The Tikka has a plastic magazine. So which is the best option here? I plan to use the 53gr. TSX for deer, and 40-55gr. BT's for coyotes and such. Mainly looking at a <300yd. gun for lots of carrying and a few shots here and there. I like Sts./Syn., but can deal with blue and wood, really want to keep the gun under 7lbs. all up and get MOA accuracy at least. Tall order? What do you think?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tikka....the 1 in 8 twist will give you some latitude when you get "loonier"

Otherwise Remington Predator...1 in 9...

Accuracy is no problemo with either one....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tikka COAL slams doors.

A 700 based 9",ain't a horrid route.

The Montucky trumps all................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He's doesn't appear to be loony enough to pay attention to COAL yet...

Just guessin...

And there you go with a Montucky again.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do hear good things about the Montucky...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
700 LVSF barreled action in a Ti or McM stock.

Jeff

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Oh, I am looney enough to worry about COAL, but don't see it as a big issue with the bullet weights I intend to use in this rifle. I did buy a 6.5x55 over a .260 for that reason, though! I doubt I will have mag length issues with bullets 55gr. and less, unless I am missing something?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Me too, and a couple guys on here have posted group pics with the little .223s that looked really good...

Having sold ( and gotten back...) numerous kimbers...I have not tried one for myself....I'll stick to Faux Ti types..but Dayum..the little kimbers are cute...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by countryboy73
I doubt I will have mag length issues with bullets 55gr. and less, unless I am missing something?

Nope, you'll be good with 55s...

just don't let these guys talk you into a .223AI.....

till later.... wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, I am looney enough to worry about COAL, but don't see it as a big issue with the bullet weights I intend to use in this rifle. I did buy a 6.5x55 over a .260 for that reason, though! I doubt I will have mag length issues with bullets 55gr. and less, unless I am missing something?

You are missing the inherent attributes of upper echelon BC's and their terminal affects upon the things you wish to do business upon. That brainfart,is tossing aside a goodly percentage of the Performance available on tap,for no good reason other than sheer ignorance.

Give it a thunk..................

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well, here I am cross-legged at your feet, oh great scowly fountain of ballistic wisdom... Don't waste this golden opportunity to dispense with your ageless wisdom to an attentive ear... grin

I am willing to listen to your argument in favor of the longer bullets, in spite of much photographic evidence that the lowly 53gr. tends to snatch the life from timber goats with embarrassingly little excitement and, even worse, boring regularity. However, I am always open to new and better ways to make my prey more deader, more quicker, so please expound.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ohhhh Krapp...

don't get him started.... grin

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Baiting is illegal here? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm giving the Tikka a good look to blow my Christmas money on..

I'll also need a good and cheep ugly scope to complete the package.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Johnny ...nearly everyone is blowing out Nikon Prostaffs for about $119..

Cheap and ugly enough??? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Countryboy,

Curious as to where you've read about accuracy issues with the Kimber in 223? Everything I've seen on the 223 Montucky has been quite good...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Johnny ...nearly everyone is blowing out Nikon Prostaffs for about $119..

Cheap and ugly enough??? grin

Might be.. This is going to be my "two bagger" truck gun..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
well then..that should be about perfect...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gys, I have been reading a lot of posts bragging about the .223's effectiveness on deer, and am thinking about getting one for my girls to hunt with. I may well use it the rest of the year as a walking varmint gun, too. So the thought is to keep it as light as possible, preferably short, but accurate and reliable. Now for the hard part. I hear guys bragging about the CZ, the Kimber, the Tikka, and the Remington M7. I also hear that the M7 has some reliability issues in this caliber, the Kimber has accuracy issues, and the CZ has a 1 in 12 twist. The Tikka has a plastic magazine. So which is the best option here? I plan to use the 53gr. TSX for deer, and 40-55gr. BT's for coyotes and such. Mainly looking at a <300yd. gun for lots of carrying and a few shots here and there. I like Sts./Syn., but can deal with blue and wood, really want to keep the gun under 7lbs. all up and get MOA accuracy at least. Tall order? What do you think?

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-seven/model-seven-predator.aspx

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have not read specifically of issues with accuracy in the Kimber in .223, only lackluster accuracy with the Montanas in general. I am somewhat unsure about the whole thing, what with ultralight rifles being a little more demanding of the shooter's technique, and everybody on the internet being capable of 1/4 minute accuracy under field conditions. Was hoping to flesh out the mentioned concerns about all the rifles in question with folks who have first hand experience with them. I have been hunting everything with my 1941-vintage Model 70 in '06, and as such have little knowledge of the latest and greatest in lightweight bolt rifles.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 222ND, 163bc, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,489
Posts18,529,748
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.