-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
300STW has a T3 in 223 in the classifieds...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

M
M
Originally Posted by countryboy73
Wow. For the record, I never tried to "know you up" on anything. I asked for the information you so obviously thought I needed, since I am always interested in learning something new. That is a trait common to folks who don't figure they have learned it all already. A side benefit of that trait is that we can usually answer a question without being an ass about it.

I am still waiting to hear how "simply crushing schitt" puts any more meat on the table than just killing it. And as far as the humor factor, killing an animal doesn't really have a laugh factor here(although there are some folks whose demise has been known to make me chuckle). As long as the animal dies(and the more humanely the better), I figure the bullet did its job. Humor doesn't enter the equation. Generally speaking, I have found that only juveniles and those trying to compensate for other deficiencies find humor in doing more damage than necessary to pot an animal.

As for the information given, the pictorial was nice, but the text left a bit to be desired. BC does not simply equal speed. It does usually equal higher weight, and requires a faster twist to stabilize it. Although the higher weight does maintain more velocity at long range, faster twist barrels are often slower, and higher bullet weight equals less initial velocity if you give a tinker's damn about pressures. So simply saying that "BC equals speed" would be less than the full truth, especially if I were a noob "Window Licker", as you so eloquently put it. Might want to ease up on the smartass a bit, we aren't all in your fan club, and that sure ain't no way to grow it...

Thank you! You have to understand Slick and his followers logic which is, shoot the heaviest/highest bc bullet for the caliber you can. It's almost always the 75 gr Amax.

What they can't get through their minds is "There is no free lunch". Shooting heavier bullets means less velocity. Faster twist = less velocity. In the end I find it highly doubtful the 75 gr out performs the 55 gr bullet at all in practical use. It's not moving as fast but has the ability to stay in motion longer, it's heavy and has a trajectory of a rainbow.

Now someone will cite how great the .223 is shooting long distance matches with heavy bullets. Sure it goes far, but it's killing paper with unspectacular velocity and energy.

They can crunch numbers on software all day but it's on paper.

What next, a .223 shooting a 200 gr bullet with a bc of 590 at 900 fps in a rifle with a 1-4" twist? That gets my interest. NOT!

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Maxvelocity]
Faster twist = less velocity. /quote]

This is an ole wive's tale/BS.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ok, had decided to pick up a 223 after the new year, was just gonna handle some, see what I like to handle, leaning towards a Ruger since that's what I mostly shoot, now starting to read all this and all the decisions on what to get, CRAP!!! I just need to step away from the fire... (like that will happen!)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Maxvelocity
Wow. For the record, I never tried to "know you up" on anything. I asked for the information you so obviously thought I needed, since I am always interested in learning something new. That is a trait common to folks who don't figure they have learned it all already. A side benefit of that trait is that we can usually answer a question without being an ass about it.

I am still waiting to hear how "simply crushing schitt" puts any more meat on the table than just killing it. And as far as the humor factor, killing an animal doesn't really have a laugh factor here(although there are some folks whose demise has been known to make me chuckle). As long as the animal dies(and the more humanely the better), I figure the bullet did its job. Humor doesn't enter the equation. Generally speaking, I have found that only juveniles and those trying to compensate for other deficiencies find humor in doing more damage than necessary to pot an animal.

As for the information given, the pictorial was nice, but the text left a bit to be desired. BC does not simply equal speed. It does usually equal higher weight, and requires a faster twist to stabilize it. Although the higher weight does maintain more velocity at long range, faster twist barrels are often slower, and higher bullet weight equals less initial velocity if you give a tinker's damn about pressures. So simply saying that "BC equals speed" would be less than the full truth, especially if I were a noob "Window Licker", as you so eloquently put it. Might want to ease up on the smartass a bit, we aren't all in your fan club, and that sure ain't no way to grow it...

Thank you! You have to understand Slick and his followers logic which is, shoot the heaviest/highest bc bullet for the caliber you can. It's almost always the 75 gr Amax.

What they can't get through their minds is "There is no free lunch". Shooting heavier bullets means less velocity. Faster twist = less velocity. In the end I find it highly doubtful the 75 gr out performs the 55 gr bullet at all in practical use. It's not moving as fast but has the ability to stay in motion longer, it's heavy and has a trajectory of a rainbow.

Now someone will cite how great the .223 is shooting long distance matches with heavy bullets. Sure it goes far, but it's killing paper with unspectacular velocity and energy.

What next, a .223 shooting a 200 gr bullet with a bc of 590 at 900 fps in a rifle with a 1-4" twist? That gets my interest. NOT!

Wow, you are a dumb [bleep]. Please tell me more about what you haven't a clue.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Steelie, sent you a PM...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Didn't get it

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Wow, you are a dumb [bleep]. Please tell me more about what you haven't a clue.

Ah, buffoon #2! If stupidity were pain you'd cry all day long.

Have you ever ever taken the time to read a loading manual? Go read one you may learn something, but I doubt it. Bullets are designed for different purposes and different game. Picking a bullet for a task strictly on bc shows your stupidity. Go back to the trailer and your tire swing.

What exactly qualifies you as a ballistics expert!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Doing it and not reading about it. With any luck you'll move past Playboy one of these days and stop humping everyone's leg.

I would, but we rented out the trailer to some piece of [bleep] family with a stack of Field & Stream magazines and their dipshitt son with hairy palms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka T-3 Lite shooting Sierra 65gr ProHunters does for me, what you are attempting to accomplish, in stellar fashion...

And meets all your criteria.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
More Joehead69 gems

Originally Posted by joed49
I was told the Swift isn't going to like the short action Savage, any truth there?

Can't believe someone can get the .223 to shot decent Bullets maybe? Haven't reloaded for it yet and I'm using Federal bulk ammo. I can tell you it don't like a windy day.

I bought the Savage in .223 to use in more densely populated areas, it has been a disappointment. I think the only draw this cartridge has is it is used by the military. I'd love nothing better to convert it to .220.

Easy choice for me, I'd never take a .17. The smallest caliber I own is the .223 and I like it. I wouldn't call it boring either, not with the accuracy that it delivers.

The .17 is not new, it's floundered for many years in the .17 Remington. And years from now I imagine the newer versions will be gone too. If you live anywhere with wind you'd be nuts to choose the .17.

If you have 600 rounds through those barrels shooting heavy slugs I can take a good guess what the throats and barrel above look like. Keep shooting.

Recently I started thinking about picking up a model 70 Stealth in .22-250. Can't find them. Plenty of .223 WSSM chamberings but I don't trust it.

This got me thinking. Winchester has a lot of failed rounds like the .225 and 6.5mm Mag. But would did they come out with that wasn't a failure?

And you REALLY can't make this [bleep] up, quoting a Field & Stream article. Keep reading load manuals and F&S dipshitt, compelling.

Sure will Big Stick. I work in a gun shop, have for years, and get to see what comes in the door to be sold on consignment or traded in. The shop also has a gunsmith. Many talks with the gunsmith about the guns traded in or to be sold on consignment has touched on the subject many times. Most of these show higher then normal barrel wear or throat erosion and in most cases they are fast twist such as 1:7.

Now, lets here your experience to the contrary. You probably work closely with firearms I'm sure. Or did I just hear a "Duh!" out of you.

I'M WAITING NOW!

Didn't care much for your sarcasm or your buddy Steelhead's. Oracles? Of what, stupidity?

In fact there was a nice article in Field & Stream explaining barrel twist. You should read it several times, it may sink in.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some great material for one of those animated thingies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Shadow
Stick,

Great pictures, and interesting surgery done on the little Kimber. I built my 223 AI on SA Rem 700 with Seekins DBM that rates a bullet up to 2.6" COAL, Brux 1-8" barrel, and 75 gr Amax.

But little Kimber does have me thinking performance in a lighter, smaller package. Rates more than a think......

Also liked your comments on high BC bullets....

Put another way: Velocity is a wasting asset, but BC is forever...

Tanks for the slide show...

Bob

Noone loves speed,more than I.

That being said,boolits is reliably changing for the better and in broad brush strokes,that typically entails higher BC's. It is the greatest of Crying Shames,that the plethora of Today's .224" bores offered over the counter,are twisted in accords to 1920 projectile designs/forms. Though on the flipside,there is a myriad of killer boolits readily avaialable and setting atop every store's shelves in the same bore sizing,that can't be used in these exceptionally versatile chamberings. It's akin to Jeff-O and Swamplady calling the shots on Rifle design. Pretty funny,when viewed in context...though yet very sad.

NOONE has ever whistled a 75A-Max and said,"I wish it were a 40,50,60 or a 70". Ain't happenin',if only because they is THAT splendid. Get a kick outta them who've never seen/shot one,trying to Window Lick their way through that one.(grin)

I've Glen Metal on a 3-grooved PN 1-8" 223AI and think highly of it myself.

The Montucky is simply The Full Meal Deal,in that it'll do it all and then some. Only a 1-8" spout could sweeten it's blueprint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Laffin'.

I'm in the unique position,that ALL the Window Lickers wanna try and know me up on stuff.

Cracks me up!....................

You was thinking you had a clue,which you never did and likely never will...which is more than a touch funny. Gets even funnier,when you take a stab at quantifying just how stupid you are,which was more than a whole bunch glaring from the start.

Now you wanna stick to your "experience"(which very obviously is Kindergarten Level on the brightest of outlooks) and bask in robbing performance from a chambering,to quantify whatcha know as a Trump Card?!? Stupid never ain't stupid and you eloquently sum that up and succinctly. Gettin' a kick outta your trolling for Heart Strings,by singing the "humanely" angle in conjunction with the "cruelty" you imagination being associated with yanking the trigger on a great boolit,while wearing a grin. Can see you there with a 53 in the spout,wiping those Estrogen fueled tears of angst from your eyes,as you try to seal the deal on something Warm/Fuzzy. MUCH appreciate that "insight",as it's phunnier than [bleep]!

Your Ballistics Treatise was/is a riot too! You are in so far over your head,you'd think a Tikka with 53's was a viable route. Ooops!

Laffin'!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wickens
It's sad that someone that has a little knowledge on something can't share it without being such an ass. He's a hard one to figure out? If you watch him on his little videos you can see his insecurities.

Sugartits,a hug ain't gonna make you any brighter. Zip your lips and take notes...then steady same.

Thank me later.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Great varmit round. Works just fine as a battle rifle, been there done that got the retirement. For me not a deer round. Will it work yes, will it wound, yes. A good shot will easily kill a deer, so will a 22LR. For myself I prefer something a bit larger. Seen way too many wounded deer, small caliber no penitration huge shoulder wound, gut shot etc. If you can handle it hit correctley, then fine. Not legal in a states as a deer rifle.

I'm ALL ears in regards to any/all woes you deemed "inadequate" in the field,upon Venison,due to a .224" of any chambering. Will happily muse that chambering in particular,it's twist rate(s) and boolit selection/performance.

Long way of saying,you are talking squarely out your ass....................(again)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by toad
i have nothing against the 60 gr NPT, 'cept i have never got it to shoot very well in any of my rifles. i gave up on it.

The only thing I've against the 60NPT,is it's terminal affects,relative Precision and BC.(grin)

64PP's trump 'em soundly and for 1/2 price.....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Gys, I have been reading a lot of posts bragging about the .223's effectiveness on deer, and am thinking about getting one for my girls to hunt with. I may well use it the rest of the year as a walking varmint gun, too. So the thought is to keep it as light as possible, preferably short, but accurate and reliable. Now for the hard part. I hear guys bragging about the CZ, the Kimber, the Tikka, and the Remington M7. I also hear that the M7 has some reliability issues in this caliber, the Kimber has accuracy issues, and the CZ has a 1 in 12 twist. The Tikka has a plastic magazine. So which is the best option here? I plan to use the 53gr. TSX for deer, and 40-55gr. BT's for coyotes and such. Mainly looking at a <300yd. gun for lots of carrying and a few shots here and there. I like Sts./Syn., but can deal with blue and wood, really want to keep the gun under 7lbs. all up and get MOA accuracy at least. Tall order? What do you think?

Whenever Tikka is mentioned by naysayers - the "plastic" clip is mentioned.

It seems to me that the next question should logically be - "Have you ever heard of a Tikka clip not working properly?

My first choice would be a Sako.

My second choice would be a Tikka.

ONLY Tikka in their "infinite wisdom",would field a 1-8" spout,with 1-14" confines and offer same in a hard plastic wrapper.

You can mod the mags,but it's a bitch and you've still a Tikka between your mitts.

There's a Post here somewhere,denoting the conversion process that I did on a 223 TikTac.

Junk..............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Maxvelocity

A 1-8" 21" 223AI with 75's is the free-est of Lunches. Modest bearing surface(scoots easily),nice BC which retains speed/slips wind,killer terminal affects and reliably and a penchant to bughole into tiny knots.

Never did hear what you are shooting them in?

Laffin'!................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
Ok, had decided to pick up a 223 after the new year, was just gonna handle some, see what I like to handle, leaning towards a Ruger since that's what I mostly shoot, now starting to read all this and all the decisions on what to get, CRAP!!! I just need to step away from the fire... (like that will happen!)

Bullets matter FAR more than headstamps. Think of that which is available and source a platform which will reliably extoll same.

I hear good things about the Montucky.......................(grin)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.