-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gary O, now did you ever look at that PAST RECOIL PAD!!! It beats the daylight out of any so called "muzzle brakes" period. Like I told you in the PM, they are sold at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops. They are a MISSOURI made product out of Columbia. Now what more could you ask for besides cake and Ice-cream?

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Answers:

Humble naval aviators

Question: Things know not to exist in the real world!

My wife says she was surprised to find that Naval Aviators were capable of love, respect, admiration and envy.

She was not surprised to find that those feelings involved no one but themselves. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Gary,

Put a brake on the gun and don't worry.

Tell your PH you are forced to use one for medical reasons.

Buy some of those baffled ear plugs on a string for the PH to use if he wishes....

If you want to cut recoil even more; install a Danuser Counter Coil in the butt.........heavy but they work (at least in shotguns).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Humble? what is that????

PS: Naval Aviator is capitalized please... smile

Sorry. Didn't mean to slight Pugs. wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Grrrrr smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gary O,

There is a fellow here in Grants Pass who makes a brake, for another firm, so quiet his daughter no longer needs to use ear plugs when firing a .223 for deer hunting. It has no side holes and is very cleaverly designed. Someohow the sound is projected forward in relation to the firearm at least as much as without the brake.

I use the best kick pads the funsmith can get and the old fashion brakes on my shootin' irons. I hold them lightly like I would a rimfire; including my .375 firing 270 grainers at about 3,000 feet per second. Also I use electronic hearing protection when hunting. Everyone I know, except one guy, uses them while hunting. It's modern like centerfires.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Quiet muzzle brakes...
They are called silencers

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hi,
I suffer shoulder problems too and now never use a shotgun without an active recoil reducer or a rifle without a moderator.
Check this link below, I chose this for my shotgun but I know they've supplied them for rifles.

http://www.recoilsystems.com/html/ISISlight/isis-light.asp

I'm sure you have similar products over there but that is what I fitted to my shotgun and can recomend them, make for a faster second shot as well.
I would make sure your scope has plenty of eye relief though as the gun will move back more.
Rgds

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Savage has a new stock that takes care of a lot of recoil! You couple that with a PAST RECOIL PAD and your recoil on a .375-Wby is down to what a .270 Winchester would be or less even.

I just took off my muzzle brake that was added for the purpose of working up loads at the bench. It is a .470-Capstick with a little more powder room in the case. Nonetheless it kicked like a MISSOURI MULE when the trigger was pulled on a full house load. The PAST RECOIL PAD makes it feel like a .300 Win mag shooting 180 grain loads.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Jorge! Now how about Airborn Ranger does it get the same recognition as the Naval Aviator? Gotta Go Up The Hill, Gotta Go Down The Hill, Gotta Go Airborn.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gary O
I see them advertised from time to time. Gentry Custom as an example. Do they work? Are they quieter? What say you?
I have an injured rotator cuff...

There's no such thing as a "quiet" muzzle brake. Anyone who claims his brake is quiet.....have him prove it. Ask him to light one off using his brake and no ear protection. It doesn't have to be anything big, a 22-250AI or 243 would be fine. See if he'll do it. He won't.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have several Gentry brakes on my rifles,they aren't any less noisy to people around you,but they are for the shooter.They are because the holes are drilled at an 11 degree forward angle,so the blast is pushed forward.I also like them because after I've shot a deer or pig by the feeder,most of the time the other animals just look around,they can't tell where the shot came from.KAMPFELD CUSTOM makes his with a 17 degree forward drilled holes and I have a few of those.I have advanced arthritis in both shoulders and the brakes are a blessing to me.

Last edited by crittergetter; 12/13/10.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All brakes are quiet once you saw them off the end of the barrel and thrown them away.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found out years ago, that big bore rifles that have lots of muzzle jump can be tamed by way of Mag Na Port job done on the end of the barrel. One can hardly notice the ports, loud more than normal but it is NOT a muzzle brake, which is louder and dosen't help muzzle lift that much.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tonk,

You apparently have not seen all the brakes that are available. I have one than I had to drill some holes angled down in order for it not to go down when I fired it.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Montana .325WSM with a brake from Robert W. Hart, hunting buddy of mine shot it and told me it kicked about like his .223, I try and wear ear protection but have on several occasions had to shoot and it is loud but the blast of gasses past my left ear is great.

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ringman did I say I have seen ALL the muzzle brakes available! NO I DID NOT..........Thank You!

Sorry but I don't quite understand what your trying to tell me. How about rewording your post so I can make sence of it and what you did actually do ok.

Last edited by Tonk; 12/16/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but it is NOT a muzzle brake, which is louder and dosen't help muzzle lift that much.

Ringman did I say I have seen ALL the muzzle brakes available! NO I DID NOT..........Thank You!

Sorry but I don't quite understand what your trying to tell me. How about rewording your post so I can make sence of it and what you did actually do ok.

Sorry to cause you an apparent upset. The wording in the upper post implys muzzle brakes are louder (I agree sorta) and don't help with muzzle lift.

The muzzle brake I had installed was so effective at muzzle control it actually pushed the rifle down upon firing. The old brake was good but this one is way better at reducing recoil. It is a new one on my .375-.416 Rem. I was firing 270 grainers at 2,970 feet per second without the slightest discomfort; except for having to raise the rifle after firing.

I don't come here to make or have trouble. One of my motives, in fact, is to learn. Also I come here for fun conversation as though we were sitting around a campfire. Unfortunately we can't read or hear the inflection in one's posting like we can hear that in one's voice sitting next to us.

I have been listening to a lecture called "The Ultimate Proof". It makes me more away of individual words and the modifiers or lack of modifiers of those words. Very fun lectrue.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You can eject ultra-high speed gases away from you (and your ears) - or you can eject them sideways to you - and your ears.

Only those taken in by advertisements paid for by muzzle brake manufacturers will believe that their ears won't be able to tell the difference.

There is always a huge difference - no matter what the ads say.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Silencers are legal in South Africa. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to visualize a silencer and a muzzle brake on the same rifle, maybe. If such a thing exists, you would have to borrow one in South Africa as they are illegal or non-existent in the US.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.