Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Traditionally the men in my family have carried pocket knives. My brother has my father's knife. My son has hopes in hell of his Father ever passing his down to him, and he knows it. He has mentioned buying one several times over the last little bit, so, I was wondering, does anyone have an recommendations as to a good brand/type of pocket knife I could buy for him ?

Thanks,

Lynn

GB4

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
looking for more of a traditional pocket knife, pen knife? Maybe a more modern clip knife? (those are nice, dont end up sideways in the bottom of your pocket)

This will be a fun thread regardless.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have always been fond of Boker, and Kershaw.

For more classic, old style pocket knives I have always had good luck with Case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah Lynn, there is a BUNCH of styles. Couldja give us all a bit better idea of what ya have in mind??

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not traditional, but a good knife and one I carry all the time.

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmademinigriptiliandroppointplainedgeolivedrabhandle1.aspx

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot is going to depend on what a pocket knife is used for as to what type to get.
I've carried a pocket knife since I was old enough to wear long pants. Use it every day for something or other.

My current is a 4inch three blade stockman by Boker.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Case Trapper.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like Trappers also, but for a daily knife I like one that can get put into action QUICKLY and with one hand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Traditionally the men in my family have carried pocket knives. My brother has my father's knife. My son has hopes in hell of his Father ever passing his down to him, and he knows it. He has mentioned buying one several times over the last little bit, so, I was wondering, does anyone have an recommendations as to a good brand/type of pocket knife I could buy for him ?

Thanks,

Lynn
As for high-dollar, heirloom-type knives, others here can advise you better than me. As far as knives that are generally available and not extremely expensive, I like Kershaw the best. They are mostly made here, but if that is important to you (it is to me), you still have to check the individual knife.

They make a number of just plain knives-one blade. They are razor sharp and hold their edge most excellently. This is in contrast to modern Buck's and Schrade's. (Other brands made here...sometimes.) I'm not great at knife sharpening and I've had a couple for nearly a year now and they are still razor sharp, despite being used a lot.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by northern_dave
looking for more of a traditional pocket knife, pen knife? Maybe a more modern clip knife? (those are nice, dont end up sideways in the bottom of your pocket)

This will be a fun thread regardless.

I guess I had traditional in mind, but it doesn't have to be. It just needs to be functional, not too heavy, and definitely something that will last awhile.

He would use it mostly I guess for small everyday projects, he already has a several larger knives for hunting and carving.

Lynn

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Case...hands down.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lynn,

Lately, I have been favoring little fixed blade knives that just carry in the front pocket, in a leather sheath.
This one was made in the UK by Lance Ockenden. His work is very functional the craftsmanship is unsurpassed. His steel is O1.
[Linked Image]]
back filled file work goes around the entire handle. Lance makes his own mosaic pins as well.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 12/28/10.

Sam......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Something with good steel, about a 2 1/2 to 3" blade and thin, so it isn't noticeable in your pocket. My latest that I haven't lost yet is a Gerber and it works quite well.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I usually carry either a Victorinox Secretary or Pioneer. The steel on both knives is very good and keeps an edge well. The secretary is light as a feather and I can't even feel it in my pocket. The Pioneer is durable and has a bottle opener, can opener and 2 size of screwdrivers that I tend to use alot. If you are looking for an heirloom quality knife or something special I would look for a Cripple Creek knife on ebay.

ddj

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Secretary-Pocket-Silver/dp/B0007QCO6U

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Pioneer-Pocket-Knife/dp/B000687B4O

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
For a traditional pocket knife I have liked Case brand knives for a long time.

Ernie

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not traditional, but a good knife and one I carry all the time.

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmademinigriptiliandroppointplainedgeolivedrabhandle1.aspx

That is realy lookin' good.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
just check them over well, the "china" stamped on the blade of a knife we knew as classics as kids can kind of suck the classic right out of a nice little knife.

And if it comes in a clear hard plastic package they will always put the china stamped side of the blade to the back so you can't see it until you open the package.

May not matter but it's a deal maker or breaker for me.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like Trappers also, but for a daily knife I like one that can get put into action QUICKLY and with one hand.

I'm thinking boy here. More than likely he's gonna lose it at some point.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Her BOY is in the US Army.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,219
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.