Print Thread
Hop To
Page 574 of 1,842 1 2 572 573 574 575 576 1841 1842
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I have only shot a few SXSs in my life, but it seemed to me that I was trying to aim a 2X4.... grin

Okay, I am ducking now....

"trying to aim" is the operative phrase. Don't aim - just sweep like a broom. Pretty darn easy once you get used to it.

Now swinging an over-under (aka "built wrongs") is akin to paddling a canoe into the wind w/o feathering your paddle. Once you get over the O/U mantra and shoot a few rounds of clay with the side-bys, you will never ever go back.

Side-bys - or "built rights" as I call them - don't cost so terribly much if you don't want them too. You do have to shop a bit. I bought all of those but the first hammerless gun over the internet from London, Christchurch and within the US. Once you know what you like for LOP and so forth, it is really pretty easy. And if you like hammer guns, so much the better. They cost a few dimes less than the those built for the thumb-impaired.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad left me some nice artillery. Among thems is a real nice Fox Sterlingworth 12 ga double made in Philly circa 1912.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BrentD,
Ahh, you make an assumption! I dont like O/Us either. that is like shooting a 2X4 on edge. I am an auto guy. Beretta to be exact. They come up like a dream and go wherever I look. Snap shots....the bird falls down. Looking at the pics above, you can see why I need a quick gun. They never fail (albeit that is not true of all autos) and they just plain work. I am one of those engineer types, so I keep track of my shooting and have all the stats from the past. I personally, and obviously gun talk is just that, think a good auto is the quickest gun out there on shot #1 because of only 1 barrel. I might be all wrong with other folks preference, but for me it works well. Plus, how do you put a sling on a double? I would hate to be without my sling.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well someone has to like autos, but for me, they are the absolute worst type of gun of them all. I'll take my pumps before an auto (or even before an o/u).

I don't see how a first shot out of an auto is faster than out of a double. Esp, a well made double will be a lot lighter and thus faster pointing that a fully loaded auto. But speed on a pheasant gun is overrated. On a grouse or wood"cock" (can I say that? or is it now a "woodrooster") gun, speed is everything and most folks prefer doubles of one type or the other for that.

I do sling my 10 bore double and occasionally the 12s for turkey hunting. But a slung gun is generally about as useful as a broken leg. Lots of doubles, esp, german doubles have sling studs as OME. Find yourself a good Sauer for instance, they will often have them as well some Merkels - though not mine (that's the first one).

But in the end, if autos are what you like, then autos it be. But your dog will love you more if you look and shoot your best using a double smile Gus would hate to hunt with an ugly owner. smile smile

Brent

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A Fox Sterling is a pretty nice gun. Do you use it?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are bears Catholic?? Duz da Pope schit in da woods??? Of course I do!! Ruffies and turkey are the beneficiaries of its shot charge.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know of quite a few Foxes and LCs and LaFevers that do nothing but sit in corners of closets or over mantles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me,that would be like having a gorgeous wife or girlfriend and NOT screwin' 'em half to death or having a Harley ya don't ride. Hell Brent I hunt wid an original Sharps don't I???

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BrentD
Is cock, in reference to pheasants now politically incorrect? frown

Not at all.

I was thinking of it in the Beavis and Butthead sort of way.

As in "ahuh ha...you said cock"

Yes. I am a big child but that is why I get along with Dave and Tom so well!!

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman
BrentD,
I am an auto guy. Beretta to be exact.

Ya don't say.... Not sure we could have caught on. grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Berrettaman, I have several doubles including a German and a Spanish that came with a set of clips and a sling with clips to connect on each end. Also a Belgian double that has a retractable sling that pulls out of the stock and connects to the underside of the barrel. I sure like the slings also but, like Brent, absolutely love the doubles. Have several O/U's and pumps but no auto's. Only problem with my doubles is in the great rooster fields where shots come faster than I can reload even with two extra shells in between fingers on left hand.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
well now I learned something today. you can put a sling on a double. That way they make great canoe paddles! whistle

now pumpguns on the other hand, they make great duck boat paddles. or if'n your road needs leveling (ND, are you paying attention here????) you can drag one behind the truck to level it out.

I tell ya what, I have swung a fair amount of doubles, mostly O/Us, and I havent found one yet I think swings better for me than my auto (uh,a Beretta for those of you slow on the uptake). grin

Brent, where I hunt roosters is as thick or thicker than most grouse/woodmale-of-the-species habitat, so quick is good. The reason I say they are faster than a double is that you dont have as much weight out away from you. To me the center of gravity is closer in, which makes your point faster (in thick cover, you rarely get the luxury of a swing). Although they may be a wee bit shorter, that is secondary in my experience. Although I rarely use the 3rd or 4th shot on one bird (twice in the last 156 roosters according to my records), I have used it on a couple triples which are rare but fun.

Then there is the last reason I like to poke good natured fun at double owners....I aint no fancy pants. I dont eat quiche and i dont lift my pinky when drinking tea...actually i dont drink tea at all come to think of it. Umm, do you guys where skirts when hunting with those blunderbusters? confused

Now I done it, I am beyond ducking and will take cover..... crazy

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You will need it! I have been know to fire both barrels of the full choked German double at the same time. That is a payload even your quick pointing auto cannot match! Never knowingly ate "keech" and can't even spell it, only drink tea mixed with lemonade and over ice and you could never pay me enough to wear a skirt. With all that said, have a Happy New Year!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dozer and I just walked to the mailbox and, well here he is. I have him in the house during the day while Jeremy is gone. smile

[Linked Image]

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ahh, the ol' both barrels at once trick, eh? I was shooting sporting clays with a guy whose O/U did that to him and he was not so impressed. Man, you should have seen his face! Bout took his should off with trap loads!

Oh, and dont talk too much about paying people to wear skirts or Tzone will volunteer. Again. eek

Okay, I feel a little wild here with all this snow falling so here goes:

All doublegun shooters like cats, enjoy soccer, watch Oprah, carry a manpurse, and know what color fuscia is!! Take that! cool

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Must be something in the water in central MN. The party is supposed to start tomorrow but you sound like you got an early start today! Surprised Tzone hasn't already chimed in.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bman,
I don't know much about colors. And I've been painting a bunch of them on the walls. But I do feel comfortable enough about my manhood to eat quiche. As for the man purse - maybe this qualifies. The button on that bag came from that Flatcoated of mine up above, Codi.

[Linked Image]

Not sure why you want a sling on your canoe paddle but it looks like that auto will do the trick.

And I don't wear a skirt either BUT, I do hunt in jeans from time to time.

Seriously though, if you think double balance too far forward, you have not handled a good double. They are much much lighter up front than an auto or pump. Really. Any of those, except maybe the Scott 10 will be much much lighter up front than your guns and for a lot of new converts to fine doubles, that is a problem. They over steer like the dickens. But you stick with that autojammer of yours and I'll keep my doubles.

Muff, that is a fine looking golden there. Best of all breeds if you ask me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ah Ha! You admit to hunting in jeans!! Oh wait. I do too. blue ones even. But do yours have sequins on them? I 'spect they might! eek

Yeah, best you stick to the technology of yesteryear, lest you find the peace and tranquility of shooting an auto. wink And so far so good with me, not a single jam for this gun. Been shootin' it since '96 and figure I am north of 11,000 rounds so far. I am due, and will prolly break down and shed a tear when it happens. The nice part about an auto is that I can swap out barrels and I use it for deer too. Hard to do that with the doubles out there. And incidently, that is where I for sure want more than 2 shots.

After all the pokin' fun at them, I do respect them. Some guys like them and if you can hit with one, that is what you should be using. but i will stick with my stats and the one I have. Pumps now, dont get me started on those.... laugh

I have handled some of the $2K-$3K O/Us (Brownings, Berettas, etc). Maybe the more expensive ones are better? I dont know.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We made it to duluth, stop fighting about shotguns lol! Everybody knows there is nothing cool about a smooth pipe that pukes bb's. Don't mater if its a single, double, pump or auto. To quote a great drill instructor, in regards to ALL shotguns... "Here you are all equally worthless!". Lol!

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dave, did that drill instructor even feel that way about those old '97 Winchester trench guns?

Bman, I really feel for ya but it sounds like you have no excuse for another gun. A fate worse than death would be to have no reason for another gun... smile

BTW, when I shot my one double rifle at deer, I had to find two of them to use both barrels. I had a left barrel buck and a right barrel buck. But then I came to my senses and went back to single shots for furry stuff. smile

Dave, have fun in Duluth. One of my favorite towns back when I could get up there more often.

Page 574 of 1,842 1 2 572 573 574 575 576 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.