Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm looking at it, and it looks like De Lorme might lure me away from Garmin.

What do you think? The ability to send custom text messages to friends either asking for a hand or bragging up a kill is appealing to me.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Calvin,
I don't know much about it, but the De Lorme caught my eye, also.
About 90% of my time outdoors is spent alone and something like that could be a God-send.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
So basically, it's a $100 a year for the spot subscriptions. $50 more for Track Progress. 50 Cents per Text Message.

Not bad, if you spend a ton of time in the back country hunting and fishing. Might not be worth it for the guy who does 1 trip a year though.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 340boy
Calvin,
I don't know much about it, but the De Lorme caught my eye, also.
About 90% of my time outdoors is spent alone and something like that could be a God-send.

I spend a good deal of time out in the boat, out of cell range. The ability to send a text message telling a buddy I'm broke down and need a tow, up on the beach caught by the tide, or that I'll be overnighting due to weather is priceless.

I was critical of the 1st Gen Spot because it basically sent a distress message, and that was it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
So basically, it's a $100 a year for the spot subscriptions. $50 more for Track Progress. 50 Cents per Text Message.

Not bad, if you spend a ton of time in the back country hunting and fishing. Might not be worth it for the guy who does 1 trip a year though.

That is quite reasonable, indeed.
A hell of a lot less $$$ than having your family call out a SAR team because of not coming home on time from a hunting trip or whatever!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've been using a Spot II for almost a year now and have been very pleased with it. Most of my trips are solo and it gives me and my family a little more peace of mind. I use the tracking feature often. People often assume that they will be alive or able to initiate a rescue. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I can come up with the $$, I'd really like to have this setup. The text messages via satellite would be great as well as it appears to me that DeLorme's are about the best for data/map/aerial uploading for a handheld.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calvin- I've been curious about how your brother's PN-40 compared to your Garmin as far as satellite reception in the thick stuff up there. Also, do I remember correctly that one or both of the Brothers have a SPOT? If so, how reliable has their ability to send OK messages been?

As many know, I'm a DeLorme slut and would like to have the 60/SPOT combo. However, in researching the SPOT I have found mixed reviews regarding its reliability in sending messages due to the satellite system the SPOT uses.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've used a SPOT here for 2 years now, primarily in the Brooks Range. I can tell you that my wife has received every message we sent - as long as there was no "operator error" (if you get my drift).
Anyway, each time we tried it and we were located in a rather narrow, east/west running valley with a heavy fog cover. Although I personally detest "technology" when I'm out in the bush, I figure it's good insurance for my wife since she will at least know we're ok. We always made sure we had a spare set of batteries and we only used it once a day. Never left it on for continual tracking. Pointless, IMHO.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Calvin- I've been curious about how your brother's PN-40 compared to your Garmin as far as satellite reception in the thick stuff up there. Also, do I remember correctly that one or both of the Brothers have a SPOT? If so, how reliable has their ability to send OK messages been?

As many know, I'm a DeLorme slut and would like to have the 60/SPOT combo. However, in researching the SPOT I have found mixed reviews regarding its reliability in sending messages due to the satellite system the SPOT uses.

If I recall correctly, my brother's delorme worked great when he was up here last Nov. I'll email him and tell him to log on and chime in.

Big downside to spot is Global Star. (pretty sure that's the sats they are using) Last I heard they were failing in space. Not sure if they corrected it or not. I'll use some google fu and try to find out.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've used my PN-40 while others run their Garmin 60CSX. I've found they are equally accurate and we ran both in heavy tree cover, bad weather, and in canyons.

The Garmin has an advantage with longer battery life and Delorme's advantage is the ability to incorporate various maps such as arial photos, USGS Quads, & NOAA nautical charts.

I see Delmore states the PN-60 has better battery life than the PN-40. I have no experience with the PN-60, just responding to the reception question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
We've used a SPOT here for 2 years now, primarily in the Brooks Range. I can tell you that my wife has received every message we sent - as long as there was no "operator error" (if you get my drift).

That's good to hear. Your second sentence is why it's hard to come to hard conclusions using information from the 'net. You never know how competent the person is that's using the gizmo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Big downside to spot is Global Star. (pretty sure that's the sats they are using) Last I heard they were failing in space. Not sure if they corrected it or not. I'll use some google fu and try to find out.

That's my apprehension to getting a SPOT. My reasoning for getting some sort of locator is different from yours in that I want it for emergency situations. Therefore, I'm leaning towards a PLB. I guess the new units can now send a canned OK message too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PhilinAZ
I've used my PN-40 while others run their Garmin 60CSX. I've found they are equally accurate and we ran both in heavy tree cover, bad weather, and in canyons.

The Garmin has an advantage with longer battery life and Delorme's advantage is the ability to incorporate various maps such as arial photos, USGS Quads, & NOAA nautical charts.

I see Delmore states the PN-60 has better battery life than the PN-40. I have no experience with the PN-60, just responding to the reception question.

Agree on all points. My PN-40 will display single digit accuracy while inside the house and I've never had reception issues outside. Those posting rundown times for the 60s on the DeLorme forum are indeed finding substantial increases. There's also a battery called the CabBat, which is a rechargeable Li-Ion that gives quite an increase in run times. I just ordered one so I'll see how it shakes out. I think the Garmins still run longer on a given set of batteries but the gap is shrinking. Garmin must also be feeling some market share loss to DeLorme as their units are becoming capable of displaying imagery. I still wouldn't give up my DeLorme though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks

That's good to hear. Your second sentence is why it's hard to come to hard conclusions using information from the 'net. You never know how competent the person is that's using the gizmo.

Whttail:
It was me that provided the "operator error". Once the SPOT was set up thru my wife's e-mail & cell phone, she always received our messages thru both media. The "screw-ups" occurred this last Aug. while we were in the Brooks by me with the up graded model - I wasn't allowing enough time for the signal to be transmitted and so, would shut it off too early. We were 100% successful in 2008 which was the first time we used one.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I love Garmin... but I'm wondering too...

Globalstar is what it is... anyway we once in AK had a spot message not go that night, waited till the next morning and gone in a few minutes.

We always used the send help context, not the 911 part, to send out a message that we needed something... it gives coords... and say we are on teh way to wherever by boat or such on a hunt... if I had motor problems etc... and needed something... we would send that one... wife knew to get someone or her headed our way. Only issue was WHAT was wrong.... of course the I'm ok goes a long way at home too... and the 911 in case...

I'll be watching anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roost , the unit that they are talking about now allows you to type in whatever you want as a text message its not generic anymore with the 60n Delorme gps. I just spent a bunch of time this morning reaserching it . From what I read this morning it appears as though this is the GPS to get if you want to have the mapping . For 30 bucks a year you can get what ever map you want down to 1:24,000 for anywhere in NA. Not so with the Garmin. The price of the maps for the garmin easily makes this a no brainer. I'm not sold on the spot thing Most Sat phone packages allow unlimited free out going text and at least you can have a 2 way coversation. If I'm going in by boat or plane I think the Iridium is the way to be . If your going in by foot the spot may have a leg to stand on here just because of its weight savings but that would be it. I have used both sat services , and Globalstar is a [bleep] joke. When the fit hits the shan I want to make the call right now and that is not always the case with the G-star. Iridium is leaps and bounds the leader here, you turn it on and make the call anytime anywhere period !

I Kill Things......deal with it..
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm not a huge fan of my PN-40 GPS wise. The mapping features are nice but the tiny screen makes it hard to use when you're zoomed out to any useful distance in my experience. Mine eats batteries a lot faster than my old Lowrance did as well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the Pn-60 with SPOT,it's a good unit BUT if you want aftermarket downloads for the US and Canada they appear to be available only for Garmin.I have 1:24,000 BLM maps on my unit but only 1:50,000 topos for Canada and Delorme doesn't offer anything with more detail.When I looked into aftermarket private property GPS maps for Montana they were only available for Garmin.Check out all the available downloads you might want before you plunk your money down.I could care less about texting on my SPOT,I'll only use it if I REALLY need it.My Delorme and SPOT were a gift,I would have bought a Garmin and the SPOT seperately if it was up to me. Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 02/27/11.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have me confused Monashee, what is this page describing to me then about the 1;24,000 maps?

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=30541&section=10741

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 2five7, 42 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,321
Posts18,505,838
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.