Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
to be used only for hunting squirrels. i prefer and use long rifle hollow points.

my rifle is fitted with a suppressor

I'm looking for the brand of ammo that is consistently subsonic, shot after shot.

i shot a box of remington 22 subsonics today and they were all over the place. some clearly subsonic, others sounded like full house loads (and shot like them too).

thanks

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
For small game, like CCI subsonic segmented HPs (0074) out of my suppressed 22s.....

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hotsoup
to be used only for hunting squirrels. i prefer and use long rifle hollow points.

my rifle is fitted with a suppressor

I'm looking for the brand of ammo that is consistently subsonic, shot after shot.

i shot a box of remington 22 subsonics today and they were all over the place. some clearly subsonic, others sounded like full house loads (and shot like them too).

thanks

Not really even close.

After comparing just about every brand of sub sonic HPs made, RWS Subsonic HPs all the way.

In 30 years of using them, I have never had one round go Supersonic.
In most rifles they shoot like target ammo and they knock the hell out of game. The lack of noise is just icing on the cake.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like SK.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Wolf match target. Thump, dead. Accurate. For really quite stuff, avoid the Remington like you found, it is all over and fouls fiercely.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Eley subsonic hollow points shoot well in both my kimbers. I have had good luck with the cci segmented subsonics in my sako.

Dink

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shot some of Winchester's subsonic loads yesterday, and they seemed quite consistent, but it was in the 30s, so I don't know if they'll do the same in warmer weather. CCI's subsonic stuff shot pretty well, too.
Both subsonice loads seemed to be what this rifle favors (and Wolf MT), but it's new, and the weather cold, so no real conclusions can be drawn, yet.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been shooting CCI sub sonic H.P's in my Weatherby MK XX11

They seem pretty consistant and accurate, within 1/16" in group size, and WAY cheaper than the "match" stuff.

Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CCI sub HPs work well for me

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62
Not really even close.

After comparing just about every brand of sub sonic HPs made, RWS Subsonic HPs all the way.

In 30 years of using them, I have never had one round go Supersonic.
In most rifles they shoot like target ammo and they knock the hell out of game. The lack of noise is just icing on the cake.

Pretty much my experience too.

I now have one of Paco Kelly's bullet reshapers which puts a flat point on an .22 rf, and increases the diameter a bit for better accuracy. It does make them more even more accurate and the flat holowpoint really smacks critters hard! My Brno 452 shoots better than my old Anchutz match rifle with this ammo prepared with Paco's Accurizr (a lot of slow preparation though).

[Linked Image]

You can contact Paco Kelly through links HERE. A great guy, and a great product.

John

Last edited by jpb; 01/05/11.
IC B3

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
thanks for the replies men. i'll pick up a box of rws, cci, and wolf and see which my rifle prefers.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I forgot about RWS. I just bought a couple bricks of them and both kimbers shot them very well. The Sako hated them.

Dink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I, too, really like the RWS Subsonic HP. They are very accurate, and in my long barreled .22s, are really quiet.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Ely Subsonic shot like match ammo from several .22 I had at the time. In chrographing them the rounds were extremely consistent.

As noted above, don't waste your money on Remington...complete inconsistent crap.

A few months ago a friend gave me a brick of Aguila Subsonic. I just tried some in a 28" barrel CZ452 and they were quieter than shooting my friends Savage Tactical with a can....or for that matter my air rifle. Groups at 50 yards were in the .5-.75 range.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Eley was always my pick until you suddenly couldn't find it anymore. Damn I wish Eley would get off their ass and start making some ammo again! The SK is very good, RWS also. But for the inexpensive the Winchester Sub Sonic is pretty darned good. The Winchester is better than the CCI in my experience and the Remington isn't even in the running for consideration.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
The Eley was always my pick until you suddenly couldn't find it anymore. Damn I wish Eley would get off their ass and start making some ammo again! The SK is very good, RWS also. But for the inexpensive the Winchester Sub Sonic is pretty darned good. The Winchester is better than the CCI in my experience and the Remington isn't even in the running for consideration.

...not Eley's fault...Remington bought Eley as I recall and right after they did the subsonic disappeared...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
i went after squirrels this am (using the rem as they are all i have at the moment) and got just a few (they didn't move much due to temp i suspect). today i tried a different box (though same lot number) and they were just as inconsistent. i plan to visit a gun shop tomorrow and get 4-5 boxes of different brands to try out. thanks for the suggestions.

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
i was in town today and bought one box of win, and one of rws (both subsonic/hollow points). shot one 3 shot group at 50 yards with each brand a couple hours ago. both brands shot 1/2" or better based on my eyeball calculations. what a difference from the pos remingtons i have been using earlier this week.

thanks for the suggestions. have a good one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My CZ is liking those Winchesters a whole bunch, too, but the CCI seems like it has possibilities, also. When the weather warms up around here, I'll find out. Glad those are working for you.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
SK Subsonic HPs are the best. I used them for a couple of years against the USBR green monster target in a CZ American and they would deliver outstandingly consistent performance. Much better than RWS and Eley subsonics. But, rifles do have their preferences.

Last edited by sheffieldshooter; 01/07/11.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.