Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62

My issue is with folks(SU-35) who claim you can push the Swede even faster than that just because the rifle it's chambered in will take 65 K PSI before it comes loose.

So you think modern actions will come unglued at 66,000 PSI?
Here is another question. What did Roy Rogers say was the first thing to do when you find yourself in a hole?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SU35
No you weren't, liar.

That was after the fact.

Go back and read the above.

Your not lying. You just really don't know what the [bleep] you are talking about.

When discussing apples to oranges- the 6.5 Swede, the .260 and the 6.5 Swede, given EQUAL barrel lengths, the Swede will not outdo either of the shorter cases. Even with hot European loads.

You can keep promoting your 65K PSI overload, Ackley Improved horseochit smokescreen B.S. all you want , but those are the facts.

I want some of what ever you are smoking. laugh

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by denton
So... wait a minute.

Your challenge to us was to show a published load that came within 100 FPS of 3000.

JB cited some. Somehow those don't count?

I showed you one from Lapua, and somehow that doesn't count either? Even if you dial it back 50-60 FPS to account for the difference in barrel length?

Quite independent from Lapua, I instrumented my 6.5x55 and came up with a load that shoots 6 FPS slower than Lapua at pressures below 60 KPSI. Somehow that doesn't count?

Tough audience!

HOT Europoean

I saw one of those once. It wasn't nearly as bad an experience as you seem to think.

A already concede that. Fine . With Hot European data using non- US made powders there are loads published by Lapua that run 3,000FPS. Fine.

With those same weight bullets the 6.5 creedmoor will match that in equal length barrels. Which is something ELSE J.B. also pointed out.

Dude ,most powders are non USA made!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing about it is is that Jim is absolutely correct if one follows SAAMI pressure guidelines.

There are legitimate reasons why SAAMI limits the 6.5x55 to 51Kpsi.

Loading that cartridge to 65K IS an overload according to SAAMI.

Will modern actions handle loads of that level perfectly well? Yes they will. Is there some risk of damage to older, weaker actions if one of these 65K loads inadvertently make it's way into one? Yes there is a risk of that.

Last edited by nsaqam; 01/09/11.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, relatively few powders are American-made. Those that are come from St. Marks in Florida, but most smokeless powders sold here are made in Australia, Canada, Israel, Sweden and Switzerland, to name a few countries off the top of my head.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is good for a person to know their limitations especially if they don't know why they are what they are. If they can realize that they can even grow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If exceeding SAAMI guidelines is acceptable where does one draw the line?
How about the 88K .243 loads that Clarkma shoots?

How about the 90K+ loads for 25-35 based wildcats?

He shoots them both and more and he's neither dead nor is he blowing up rifles presumably.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB,

I'm sure the Creedmoor is fantastic, as are all the other 6.5s, but I would love to have a Hawkeye Standard with a 26-in. barrel in .270!

Went to Ruger's site hoping they might make one, but all they show is a 22-in. .270, and the spec sheet shows it weighing 8 lbs. while the sheet on the 26-in. says it weighs 7.

Your rifle's scoped weight jibes with the Creedmoor sheet so
I'm wondering if they've got a typo on the .270 sheet.

OP, sorry for the minor thread jack!

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 01/09/11.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Lord, what to say about all of this. I don't shoot a Creedmoor, since I have a perfectly good 6.5 x 55 in a Sako hunter that I bought twenty or so years ago. It dose not matter a wit, a 120gr 6.5 mm bullet launched at 2900 to 3000 fps is for all purposes a pocket 270. You will drop deer and elk sized game till the end of time or they ban guns all together. While I don't think I will run out and buy one anytime soon, its a good thing that hornaday dose this sort of stuff, since they started making 9.3 x 62. And a Ruger Safari so chambered would float my boat in more ways than one.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam

He shoots them both and more and he's neither dead nor is he blowing up rifles presumably.

You view doing 56 mph in a 55mph zone the same as doing 88 mph in a 55 mph zone and thus extrapolate doing one is same as the other? Use your head man and ask the same of others.

Speaking of heads let Clarkma worry about his! If he touting 88-90K+ loads as safe and common you have some ground to speak up me thinks.

There are many 60K+ SAAMI cartridges you know. Perhaps pointing out the lack of 88-90K same would be a good start.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by FVA
It is good for a person to know their limitations especially if they don't know why they are what they are. If they can realize that they can even grow.

Idiots drive 90MPH in 65 MPH zones every day without caring about the risk to those around them and themselves. So do some handloaders with regards to the loads they use. I simply chose not to be one of them.

Grown men behaving like a meathead teenager with a souped up car they can't control on the highway just for the sake of speed is not exactly "growth", IMHO.

I guarantee that you nor anyone else posting on this thread with the possible ecxeption of JB has access to accurate pressure testing equipment for his hand loads. Which is the whole purpose for safe book data with built in safe margins.

My actual life experience 20 years ago working with Oehler strain gauge system showed me that the conventional home methods of gauging pressure pressure( case head expansion and primer behavior ) is crude at best. It's also not consistent from rifle to rifle. I helped a writer friend test one of the Oheler units one summer using his usual max loads in about two dozen personal rifles.

He thought they all were safe and got some eye opening results, particularly in warmer temperatures. He was/is a meticulous hand loader and it was a very good example of why component companies build safety margins into their load data.

Last edited by jim62; 01/09/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mean your actual life experience of someone else s actual life experience of that someone else's own actual worked up loads. Some drive 67 in a 65.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by FVA
You mean your actual life experience of someone else s actual life experience of that someone else's own actual worked up loads. Some drive 67 in a 65.

No the actual testing of the ammo was MY experience. I was there doing the testing right along side him for several weeks.. Even help load a lot of the ammo he used in test in about 25 different rifles. I also had access to all his journals and load data.

The same writer went on to use that same equipment working up pressure data for a monthly cartridge review column for a major gun magazine which he wrote for about 10 years. He used to red line a lot of his handloads. Once he got his hands on some accurate pressure testing equipment, not so much.

It was a good of illustration stacking stacking tolerances in certain rifle /load combos and the need for safe pressure margins. It's sad you refuse to acknowledge that reality.

Last edited by jim62; 01/09/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks to all for the feedback. My reason for the interest in the 6.5 creedmoor is the longer I play around with rifles and cartridges the more I am attracted simple efficient rounds that will shoot typical hunting bullets at 2800-3000 fps. It's all kind of silly....I have a .270 Sako A7 that shoots 130 grainer's at around 3000 that is a nice light gun and shoots well under an inch, I also a nice custom 7mm-08 that will shoot 120 BT the same way...and the same 3000 fps also have a 280 ai that will do it with a 140BT....not sure why I need a 6.5 creedmoor...just seemed like a nice round.......I must be what Mule Deer calls a rifle looney.....I do think everyone can calm down a bit....and thanks to all for the feedback, I really blame Mule Deer for this affliction I have...please stop writing about rifles and cartridges that make sense....its all your fault! PS.... forgot to mention I bought a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 for my son, put a 3x9x40 monarch ucc on it.....guess what bought some 130 grain speer btsp....plan to load them to 2800-2900 fps.....the beat goes on........Goodshot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FVA
Originally Posted by nsaqam

You view doing 56 mph in a 55mph zone the same as doing 88 mph in a 55 mph zone and thus extrapolate doing one is same as the other? Use your head man and ask the same of others.

No, I was asking a question. Hence the question mark!

Use your head man!

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why can't I load (6.5x55) to 260Rem levels? Considering a slightly large case and a modern bolt action rifle. Doesn't make sense not to.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jim,

Nosler doesn't list all their manual data on the website. Otherwise nobody would buy the manual.

Here's the max data for the three fastest loads for the 120 Ballistic Tip from the manual:

50.5 AA3100--2974 fps
47.0 H4350--3000 fps
48.5 RL22--3002 fps

I list the AA3100 load because Nosler used a 23" barrel for the 6.5x55 data. With the standard SAAMI 24" barrel that load would also get right around 3000 fps.

Speer #13 goes a little higher than that on charge weight but the rifle used was a 22" 77MkII so the velocities are a little less. In the forward to the 6.5x55 they state pressures "up to 50,000 cup for use in modern rifles" (about 58,000 or so psi).

With the 120gr Hotcore:
N160 48.0gr @ 2895fps
IMR4831 49.0gr @ 2886fps
IMR4350 47.0gr @ 2884fps
Re22 50.5gr @ 2882fps

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Furprick
Why can't I load (6.5x55) to 260Rem levels? Considering a slightly large case and a modern bolt action rifle. Doesn't make sense not to.

You can of course.

It has been stated many times in this thread and loads of that level are even published by major component manufacturers.

The point Jim made is that these loads exceed SAAMI pressure specs for that cartridge. These SAAMI specs were promulgated in deference to the many century old and somewhat less strong actions chambered for the cartridge.

In a modern action these over SAMMI pressure loads are perfectly safe.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

The thing is-It's possible the top end 6.5 Swede data shown here (Lapua etc) already is loaded to the same pressures as the .260, etc The top end velocities with Swede loads are the same as the 6.5 Creed and .260.

1-2 grains more of real powder capacity for the Swede does not mean much with every powder used.

To all gunmaker critics-
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Furprick,

You go right ahead and load up that 55 to 260 levels. I'll even stand right besides you while you touch'em off.

Alan

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,932
Posts18,518,954
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.