Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I received my G12 just after Christmas, and on first impressions I am very impressed. Just from handing the camera, it oozes quality and I think its going make a good complement to my DSLR.

Tried a few snaps in the house to make sure it works, but the weather outside is not wet and misty so not ideal for photography. I ham off stalking for a few days shortly, so hopefully will get a chance to use it properly then.

I've ordered a couple of spare batteries for it, along with a couple of spare 4GB SDHC cards, but now I need a decent case.

I have a Tatonka case that will do for now, but its a litle large.

I'm looking for a cordura (or similar) case capable of going on a belt, something that will hold the camera securely ie not relying on just a couple of presh studs to hold the lid shut...Waterproof would be a big bonus...

Ideally it would have a small pocket for extra memory cards, and maybe one extra battery, but over all I want the case to be as small and neat as possible while still affording protection...

Also, I am wondering if an Otterbox might be a good invetment for those instance where extra protection is needed?

Last edited by Pete E; 01/01/11.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Possibly the Tamrac 5692
Their size chart says it is for the G10, 12.
http://www.tamrac.com/5692.htm

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I use this one for my G9. It fits perfect, and I like the quality of their product.

http://www.m-rock.com/ozark-medium-camera-bag.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
I received my G12 just after Christmas, and on first impressions I am very impressed. Just from handing the camera, it oozes quality and I think its going make a good complement to my DSLR.

Tried a few snaps in the house to make sure it works, but the weather outside is not wet and misty so not ideal for photography. I ham off stalking for a few days shortly, so hopefully will get a chance to use it properly then.

I've ordered a couple of spare batteries for it, along with a couple of spare 4GB SDHC cards, but now I need a decent case.

I have a Tatonka case that will do for now, but its a litle large.

I'm looking for a cordura (or similar) case capable of going on a belt, something that will hold the camera securely ie not relying on just a couple of presh studs to hold the lid shut...Waterproof would be a big bonus...

Ideally it would have a small pocket for extra memory cards, and maybe one extra battery, but over all I want the case to be as small and neat as possible while still affording protection...

Also, I am wondering if an Otterbox might be a good invetment for those instance where extra protection is needed?

I've too many soft cases,too many packs and too many hard cases...all of which is easy to do.(grin)

A see-through Pelican,is a tough act to follow,because it'll happily go in any pack. They'll easily accomodate extry batteries and cards,if one is compelled and will reliably take a hell of a lick. A 1060 will hold one of my videocameras and a P&S,with a padded bed of reserve bung fodder lining the underside. Pretty much a staple for me,when on the move.

Because I don't care for things dangling from me,I carry all my cameras(P&S,DSLR's and video),within a pack and feel nekked without a pack.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gents,

Sorry for the late reply, but just got back now.

Will take a look at cases mentioned and the Pelican..

On this particular ground, I don't need a day sack, although some times use a fanny pack, which I know will impress Stick no end! grin

Truth is, the ground is commercial forestry blocks, and is flat as a pan cake and being in SE England is not at all "remote". Its what I would term "carpet slipper stalking".

It's actually run almost as a large park, and our biggest problem is the high levels of public access, which was a nightmare on Sunday and Monday of this last week, as they were public holidays so everybody was off..

When I get a minute I will stick a few pictures up taken with the G12...Not really had a chance to use it other than on "auto" and "P" modes, but I'm impressed with it so far...I particaly like the ergonomics and the placement of the controls on the body which I find far better than flicking through endless menu's and sub menus on the screen...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 01/05/11.
IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have this camera and use a pelican 1050 case. I get the camera and battery charge, plus extra sd card inside. Could just as easily put a spare battery in the charger too.

I think the camera is great, I've only had p&s before though. I bought it to take photos of my daughters volleyball team. It captures on the action when set to AV mode, f2.8, iso 800 to 1200. Do wish it could shooter more frames per second though.

enjoy

S
S
Pete,

I think you'll like the camera. I got a G11 about a year ago and have been very happy with it. The image quality is excellent, rivaling that of my D2X and it's a whole lot easier to carry around in the woods and while sailing.

It has really made my life easier when it comes to images for my blog and quick shots while in the woods or on the water.

I haven't purchased a case for it because my hunting clothes have so many pockets, but I could probably use one on the boat for when I stash it in a combing box in the cockpit.

You'll be amazed by the auto fill-flash accuracy and the manual exposure controls really make sunsets and silhouettes easy.

The one thing I have not used is the video mode, though I feel pretty confident it works fine considering the quality of the still images.

Another nice thing about it is the underwater housing is only about $200, which is really inexpensive by most standards. I have not had a chance to use it underwater yet because the BP spill kept us out of the Gulf last summer. Fortunately, I've already planned a trip for the spring and will get to use it then.

It will definitely compliment your DSLR.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
Gents,

Sorry for the late reply, but just got back now.

Will take a look at cases mentioned and the Pelican..

On this particular ground, I don't need a day sack, although some times use a fanny pack, which I know will impress Stick no end! grin

Truth is, the ground is commercial forestry blocks, and is flat as a pan cake and being in SE England is not at all "remote". Its what I would term "carpet slipper stalking".

It's actually run almost as a large park, and our biggest problem is the high levels of public access, which was a nightmare on Sunday and Monday of this last week, as they were public holidays so everybody was off..

When I get a minute I will stick a few pictures up taken with the G12...Not really had a chance to use it other than on "auto" and "P" modes, but I'm impressed with it so far...I particaly like the ergonomics and the placement of the controls on the body which I find far better than flicking through endless menu's and sub menus on the screen...

Regards,

Peter

I never don't find myself without a backpack of some sort on,so the camera(s) naturally go into same. For tame affairs in nice(dry) weather,I'd likely drive a soft case within a jacket pocket.

Always liked my hands free..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Off topic but not too far: I'm considering a G12, how fast do they power up and how is the shutter lag?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They smoke..........

IC B3

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
They smoke..........

And thats on a slow day! grin

Still learning with mine and its not really pic taking weather at the moment, but so far I am very impressed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hang some pics up................

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hang some pics up................

Not really given it a work out yet as the weather has been pretty miserable..

I snapped a few while a way just after I bought it and posted them here

We had about 1 hours sun all weekend, the rest of the time it was either misty or raining or both..Funnily enough, when the sun came out, the wind picked up, so the deer were still loath to move...

I'm back down there in a couple of weeks to try again...And yes the land, is as flat as a witches tit! grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This site really hoses pics,but I liked this one from today.............

[Linked Image]

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This site really hoses pics,but I liked this one from today.............

[Linked Image]

I like that...Water makes for a good subject..

This one below is a small tarn on the Isle of Arran, which I took a couple of years back with a Cannon S2 I think..Was up in Scotland chasing red deer, a world of difference to the stalking in Thetford..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The pic above was in heavy shadows under seriously waning last light,in a flat light scenario(sleet/rain falling ala heavy overcast). Simply cain't get over how the Canon 1D3 sucks light and am rather hip on my new Siggy 50mm F/1.4. There's a leetle camera shake,as I was gunning from my Filson tin hat as a tripod and was trying to slow things to get motion blur on the water. With ISO at 100,I had to stop down to 5.6,to yield 1/2 second shutter speed.

Will schlep a Manfrotto today............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 270cowboy, 160user, 257_X_50, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,409
Posts18,507,012
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.