-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim or anyone else, is the trigger mechanism on a 700 SS actually stainless steel throughout ?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The one on my model 70 has been used extensivly in nasty conditions and hasnt missed a beat. Snow, cold, dust, ice, boat hunts etc.
Course I aint slathering my action full of oil like some....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
But when you try to adjust it up to 2 or more pounds it has a "squish" to it. It's not creep, but the trigger definitely moves or has a bit of take up before it breaks. It's still a good trigger but it was a bit disconcerting to feel it move when you're expecting that glass rod break.

When you use the proper spring and set it up correctly it will break like glass and have no overtravel at 1.5-2 lbs, or whatever you want it set at. There are three different springs that allow you to set it from 1.5 oz to whatever (can't remember the high side, but why would you?) I have one on my 6br at 2oz and one on my 300wsm at about 1.5#, and have had the non-safety version on benchrest rigs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have used Jewells in my hunting rifles for approx. 15yrs without any problems. They have suffered through snow, dust, dirt, rain, ice etc. Never a failure or problem.Rick.

IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blackfootkenai
But when you try to adjust it up to 2 or more pounds it has a "squish" to it. It's not creep, but the trigger definitely moves or has a bit of take up before it breaks. It's still a good trigger but it was a bit disconcerting to feel it move when you're expecting that glass rod break.

When you use the proper spring and set it up correctly it will break like glass and have no overtravel at 1.5-2 lbs, or whatever you want it set at. There are three different springs that allow you to set it from 1.5 oz to whatever (can't remember the high side, but why would you?) I have one on my 6br at 2oz and one on my 300wsm at about 1.5#, and have had the non-safety version on benchrest rigs.

You should tell Jewell this as I gave them two tries to set my trigger at 1.5 with no creep.
Once after a blown primer blew the firing pin back and broke the sear in two. Me bad on that one.
A bit less than 1.5 and I can get it perfect myself.
Stick/Dave7mm nailed this one.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shilen's new hunting triggers are adjustable from 1.5-3lbs. I am going to install a new SS trigger on my 40X rimfire that I am building. Shilen has revamped their trigger line. I liked them before, but they feel better now. That being said I have 5 Jewells on my Remington rifles. No problems whatsoever. They don't feel as good at 2.5lbs though. 1.5-2lbs and they are good to go. Hunting from a stand 1.5 is good. I prefer a properly adjusted 2.5 though.
Butch

A blown primer can break the connector in a Jewell.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 01/26/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Butch, I got a Shilen about a year ago. Don't know if it is the new ones you reference, but it is the best Shilen I have. Zale

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also Have a new Shilen hunter...great trigger.
One of the best triggers I've tested was a Timney on a M70 PF. It was a sample of 1, but truly Jewelesque

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I own Jewell, Timney & Shilens. I like the Shilen trigger the best.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Zale, good to hear from you. I believe they did it about a year ago. The new high dollar trigger machine that they have is great. It will even graph the difference in the way the sear surfaces are lapped.
The Shilen Swap Meet will probably be the 5th of March. I will keep you informed.
Butch

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Jewell will adjust down to 8 to 12 ounces easily with the right spring, I forget if it is the A or C spring. It's beautiful for a varmint rifle, just put your finger on it, think happy thoughts and it goes off.

My experience exactly. No combination of springs nor adjustments on my two Jewells will make them feel good to me at 2.5 lbs. Mushy.

I've got them on heavy target rifles now, set to a few ounces. Awesome.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Go Timney if its a hunting rig, Mel Forbes did his homework well.

MtnHtr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RDFinn
You or the boys ever run any SS Shilen triggers ? Think they are the only one besides Jewell that makes SS triggers besides Remington of course.

One pard in particular is a Shilen Slut...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've run just about everything,trigger wise, at one time or another.
When Neil Jones was at the top of his game a worked over M700,from him, was as good as any on a critter getter.
The Jewell trigger,when it came out was, and still is, made by wire EDM.(electrical discharge machine).
The wire EDM process is pretty interesting a spool of .01 diameter brass wire is fed thrue a set of percision guides and charged with electricity.Any form or shape you can dream up, can be cut as long as the material your cutting,is conductive.
The parts will most likley be in a dielectric bath (under water) in the machine.
The side plates can be stacked up and many can be run at a time.The trigger shoes and sears can be stacked and nested to give good material utilization on a given piece of material.The internals of Jewells are made from A2 tool steel.
Dont plan on wearing one out in your lifetime.
The interesting thing about wire EDM is your always presenting a fresh cutter...ie...wire,to the work your going to be cutting.The spool of wire is used one time to cut the part and then chopped into brass scrap.A typical spool of .01 diameter wire has about 17 miles of wire on it.Its not like wearing out an end mill.An end mill is sharp when you start a job and dull when you finish.Wire EDM is much different.
The tolerances in wire EDM can be held very,very tight.
Its really no problem to hold .0003 day in and day out with proper programming and knowhow.
Thats one of the reasons Jewell triggers are so demmed good.
My general take on Jewells are that they excellant for BR as there just about goof proof and will take untold rounds.Thats the thing about BR.The average BR rifle gets shot ALOT more than the typical deer rifle.Im thinking alittle over kill for the critter getter.
Heres a pretty good read about a new trigger you might find interesting. NO springs..
http://kelbly.com/triggers.html
Now thats a trigger.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've had several Timney's no problems at all. I set mine at 2 lbs and forget them...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Timney = tough

Jewell = tender

As for the norm BS is wrong again.
I have and have had many Jewell's not a problem with any of them.
I dont see where anyone stated what rifle we are talking about, if it is the Remington 700 or one of it's clones or a custom action I would choose a Jewell 10 times out of 10 over a Timney (although they are better than they used to be).
If we are talking Winchester 70 the Jewell is lightyear's better than the Timney, the downside is that they are not a drop in and normaly require fitting to the action and the stock.
If we are talking AR-15 I like the Timney much better than the Jewell (hate the 2 stage).

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have three Jewell triggers on target rifles, all set at 2 oz.
All of my sporters have Timney or Rifle Basix's. Breaks don't get any better than with the Timney's and Rifle Basix's, so no Jewell's for sporters at my house.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Timney = tough

Jewell = tender

As for the norm BS is wrong again.
I have and have had many Jewell's not a problem with any of them.
I dont see where anyone stated what rifle we are talking about, if it is the Remington 700 or one of it's clones or a custom action I would choose a Jewell 10 times out of 10 over a Timney (although they are better than they used to be).
If we are talking Winchester 70 the Jewell is lightyear's better than the Timney, the downside is that they are not a drop in and normaly require fitting to the action and the stock.
If we are talking AR-15 I like the Timney much better than the Jewell (hate the 2 stage).

Your Imagination is acting up again.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP
I've had several Timney's no problems at all. I set mine at 2 lbs and forget them...

I pretty much do the same with rifle basic.
Putting a 3 lever trigger on a m70 is for short bus riders.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.