Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
First and last #1. I actually could care less, because I have no use for a single shot...

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
How does the crown look?

I have only owned one rifle that wouldn't shoot. It was a Ruger #1. Never could figure out why it sucked so bad. Sent that baby down the road, and I still get cold sweats thinking about it.

Oh DogCatcher.....dont say that!! I was thinking about a Ruger #1A in 7X57.....I have heard these babies either shoot .....or dont!

Gus

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mine was circa 1989, so maybe they got the bugs worked out by now? Oddly enough, I have several Ruger bolt guns, and they all shoot great.

I was poor back then, and didn't have another "varmint" gun, so i would use it anyway. Cannot count how many dogs I missed with that gun. Not to mention trying to reload when you called in a double, and missed the first! haha

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without the gun in hand it is hard to say and most everything has been covered but one other thing you might want to check is firing pin drag.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A gunsmith once told me "you can make a good gun shoot great, but you cannot make a bad gun shoot good."

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
billy goat gruff called it...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They ain't hangin' 'em differently now...but they should..................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
B
Hi Dan, Just a few thoughts, I keep thinking about barrel harmonics, I would try packing up under the barrel at the forend tip with something temporary, a couple of business cards? and give it a go, (Fire one fouling shot before trying for groups) then sliding them back progressively a couple of inches at a time, it may help.(Cheap fix) If there is improvemnet I would then take it to my favourite gunsmith and have it recrowned. Also have him check the freebore and the barrel throat for undue wear. Failing that, I would go for a new barrel. I applaud your friends ethics but at some point the frustration will begin to make him hate the rifle and at best it will become a dust collector in his safe.

Hope this helps a bit
Bravo 27
A Friend DOWN UNDER

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shaking my head...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Dan360 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It sounds like he could end up shooting this gun a lot with lots of fixes before he finds what's going on. The crown is a factory recessed crown like the ones found on the newer M700s.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess he could and I couldn't say it'd surprise me.

However,were he inclined,he could have her barking in no time,cut to the chase and live happily ever after...though it'd take all the "fun" outta it................(grin)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
my 30-06 wood stock mtn rifle shoots 1/2 inch. after i put a very thin washer under the head of the front action screw.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen me shorten screws and sources longer ones both,depending upon the application.

Have never not seen a non-bound up barreled action,not shoot better than a dog knotted one................(grin)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have never seen a Rem 700 of any type that did not respond well to a bed/float job done properly.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dan360
If and when you get a lemon, what is the etiquette for these? I have a friend at work that recently bought a new rifle and we just can't get the darn thing to shoot. We've checked all sorts of screws, bedded, floated, pressure pointed, re-loaded and just haven't gotten results of less than 2 MOA with anything and it doesn't sound like the factory will help him out either.

He doesn't want to sell it because he won't lie when someone asks him how it shoots. But, he doesn't want to keep it either. I suggested he send it to the smith for diagnosis and maybe get some truing/rebarreling/restocking done. This will be more expensive than selling and buying something else if he does it all at once.

What would you guys do?
...............Where`s Swampy?????????????

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Learned my lesson years ago on a rifle that doesn't shoot. Don't chase it. It likely isn't worth it. The costs to get it to shoot isn't worth the small losses of going through a couple of three rifles to find one that does right out of the box.

Some people are one shot and done kind of people. Heck I was at the range once and this guy and practically his whole family were gloating at how anything he sees is going to die this year. He had at least a 4" group at 100 yards with something like 10 shots.

Send her down the line. Trade it in for a new rifle or put it in the paper.

Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It's all there,but just dog-knotted up,something wonderous.

It ain't often,that the loose nut behind the trigger,ain't to blame for rifles that "don't shoot".

Seen it a Jazillion times............

Big Stick is right. I've done load development for lots of rifles for lots of friends. When I send them home with a target showing them what their rifle will do, they're happy. Then they go to the range, shoot, and call me and say, "This load isn't good, it won't shoot less than three inches at 100 yds." I've quit coddling them and trying to make them feel good. I just join them at the range and have them shoot their group and they say "See, that's terrible!" And I ask for the rifle, shoot the sub-MOA group that I found in load development, hand it back and say, "See, it's great. Go dryfire at the TV for a month before you shoot again, and then start with a brick of .22 LR." Much of "I have a friend who has a rifle that won't shoot" has much more to do with the friend than the friend's rifle.

Last edited by selmer; 01/27/11.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by selmer
Much of "I have a friend who has a rifle that won't shoot" has much more to do with the friend than the friend's rifle.

and there it is!!

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Browning A-Bolts are notorious for having long mounting screws that get into the bbl. threads. Didn't know Remingtons could have this problem but it can make a difference.

If it was an ammo deal, you would have found something that shoots by now.

You said it had a wood stock, make sure your buddy hasn't over torqued the action screws. This can bind it up or make it loose as the wood gives, depending on how far he has went with it.

Sounds like you have a bedding issue. Take it to a Smith and have it properly bedded and the bbl. free floated. Get him to check the bottom wood where the action screws go, if he has screwed that up, get the Smith to bed the bottom metal as well.

The more he keeps screwing with it, the more it's going to cost to get it fixed.

JM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by statjunk
Learned my lesson years ago on a rifle that doesn't shoot. Don't chase it. It likely isn't worth it. The costs to get it to shoot isn't worth the small losses of going through a couple of three rifles to find one that does right out of the box.

Some people are one shot and done kind of people. Heck I was at the range once and this guy and practically his whole family were gloating at how anything he sees is going to die this year. He had at least a 4" group at 100 yards with something like 10 shots.

Send her down the line. Trade it in for a new rifle or put it in the paper.

Tom

Very easy to turn a 1/4 MOA Rifle into a 14 MOA rifle,with a screwdriver and in seconds.

It'd take no more than $3 worth of bedding,some fastener tightening and 5 boolits,to nip this rifle in the buds.

I LOVE buying used rifles that "don't shoot".................

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,124
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.