Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi,Would like to know how the new model 70's compare to the old Model 70 Winchesters.Is the new, MOA trigger, as good as the ones on the older version.
Any information ,reviews,etc, on the new model 70 would be greatly appreciated.
Also is the wood on the new supergrade model 70's worth the extra money over the sporter models?.Thank you.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you do a quick search, you'll bring up about a thousand threads re: pros/cons of the SC models..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
If you do a quick search, you'll bring up about a thousand threads re: pros/cons of the SC models..

Mostly positive. Except Redneck don't like the new trigger design. smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Having owned a few of each, my experience is that the quality is better on the new ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What he said.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like them too...and my customer feedback is excellent..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a FWT in .243 that is finally showing promise and an extreme weather in 300 wsm. They aren't perfect but are much better than the patterns I ever got with my early 90's vintage 7mm rem mag (which I spent several hundred on trying to get sub moa). I like them! I really like the way they feed. This is particularly noticable with the 300 wsm. My Xbolt will sometimes bind when run on the slow side and fail to feed a new round. I have had no problems with the model 70 in this regard. The Xbolt is accurate enough but I'm thinking it will probably hit the road when the extreme weather is broke in.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I have 2 of the new Mod 70 and both are well made and accurate.I think their one of the best factory offering available.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If I had a choice between a pre 64 and a new SC 70 I would choose the SC made 70.

R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by southtexas

Hi,from these statements, looks like Mr Redneck and Mr SouthTexas are quite familiar with the Winchester model 70's.
Would appreciate it if you 2 gentlemen would take the time and effort to please post your take on the new model 70's.Would like to hear from someone who has personal experience
Also why do you like the old trigger more?.
Seems like some of the men who posted seem to like the new model 70 more than the old ones.Do you both also go along with this.
Thank you all for the the info provided.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SU35
If I had a choice between a pre 64 and a new SC 70 I would choose the SC made 70.

So would I...and I did on my latest purchase! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Mr Ingwe,you had mentioned that your customer feedback on the new 70's has been good.Also that you have now purchased one for yourself.
Is the wood on the new supergrade worth the extra over the regular sporter models?.
Are the action and barrels made in the SC plant?.
Do the African safari rifles also come with the MOA trigger.
Do all their models come with a plastic follower or do some come with a steel follower.
What are things on this rifle that make you chose this over a pre-64 model.Thank you.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southtexas

Redneck isn't the only one that doesn't like the new moa trigger. I was just shooting a fwt that I recently bought here and my ruger m77 hawkeye for a comparison and also a FN PBR XP for a further comparison (since the new winchesters are made by fn now). Where do I begin????

1. "moa" trigger, adjusted down to a lighter pull compared to my hawkeye that I've honed and polished and installed a lighter spring on. Which is better:
Ruger Hawkeye.
WHY?: The new trigger just isn't as smooth, slight creep, pull weight has a very minimal adjustment at that, don't like the enclosed design because of grit and grime + freezing temps and moisture could render it inoperable.

The fn pbr xp trigger is a dream!!!!!!! I haven't touched it and it is smooth and crisp, and has no creep whatsoever. It is better than any winchester trigger I've used, but is based off the old design.

Besides the trigger, the new SC (fn made) Winchesters are very nice. Fit and finish are exceptional, bedding is great, and the action is smooth and reminiscent of the pre 64 more so than the older classics (New Haven made). You'll no doubt be happy with one if you do decide to buy, hope this helps.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I owned an older Model 70 PF in 25/06 that was a good shooting rifle. It was a built in the early 70's.

Had another in .308 that was o.k. but needed a little work.

The newer Model 70's are better rifles in almost every way IMO.

I've shot the new trigger enough to know it's an improvement. Throw a lighter ernie spring in it and rock on.

JM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Honestly, if I had to make a decision on which one to keep out of my pre-64 model 70 30-06, my classic sporter 30-06, and my new SC made model 70, I'd pick the pre 64. It is smoother, more accurate thus far, tried and true. The real rifleman's rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pre 64's were fine rifles, but I believe folks fond memories have accorded them a status they may not deserve.

IMO, the Browing FN High Power was the better rifle of that time.

JM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Pre 64's were fine rifles, but I believe folks fond memories have accorded them a status they may not deserve.

IMO, the Browing FN High Power was the better rifle of that time.

JM

Funny you say that about the browning fn high power as there was one in the local newspaper in "excellent" condition for $450.00. I looked up the book value and called the guy and he said it didn't last a day, It was SOLD!!!! I was ready to pounce on that deal. I'd love to have one some day.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Honestly, if I had to make a decision on which one to keep out of my pre-64 model 70 30-06, my classic sporter 30-06, and my new SC made model 70, I'd pick the pre 64. It is smoother, more accurate thus far, tried and true. The real rifleman's rifle.

The Pre '64 M70's are nice rifles, especially if you happen to have a good one that has been 'dialed in'....

Super smooth actions, great triggers, and very accurate, even with low cost factory ammunition;

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The Pre '64 M70's are nice rifles, especially if you happen to have a good one that has been 'dialed in'....

Super smooth actions, great triggers, and very accurate, even with low cost factory ammunition;

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

grin smile

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
IMO the status afforded Pre 64s is deserved because it was earned throughout the hunting fields of the world over an extended period of time.

However, from what I've read here, the newer ones are finished along with accuracy to a level that it would be unrealistic to say they are inferior.

Never thought about the trigger until I had an enclosed trigger not hold up to the weather and inattention on my part. At which time it became unsafe. Admittedly the blame is on me, however experience tells me the old style Model 70 trigger probably would have remained functional.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12savage, 60 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,684
Posts18,475,043
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.