Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
B
Sharpsguy has a PM.
*Listen I do not claim to be THE FINAL ANSWER to any type of reloading of smokeless an most of all BP. In the scheme of my reloading knowledge I'm fairly new to BP (around 9 yrs with reloading BP/brass) and I think of myself as a rookie around some others, but what is fact is fact and one of those facts is that my Quigley 45-120 is accurate with my cast bullet over black powder. Another is that with some regularity I can and do ring a 14"x14" piece of plate steel hanging from a limb at a lasered 986 yds. Do I hit it every shot? Hell no! no one does that I shoot with though I do hit it an average 3 out of 5 shots on a windless day.
I can see no need nor future in internet muscle flexing on this or any subject thus I shall sit back an enjoy the read.

**Here's another shocker " I pick the Steelers to win by 2 pts.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bloodline
Sharpsguy would you care to step out in front of that rig at 1000 yds while I lie prone on the short stick?
to meet a pair of serious BP burners whom adore long range match shooting with the 38-55, Not intending to tell anyone I can ring the gong at 1000 with every pull but I do it enough that I keep tossing my empties into a bucket of soapy water putting up with the mess until I get to sit at the long drop tube and start over.
* But to quote you, "on second thought I withdraw my offer as you may not survive the experience"

I'm sorry but I have a hard time imagining that 1000 yard feat with a 38/55. Maybe you can do it as well as with your other rifle and that's great. What make & kind of sight rig are you running on those rifles. I'm here to learn too. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sharpsguy has read the PM, and is not impressed.

B
B
Jorge: There is a following for the 1871 Buffalo Classic H&R that has both the 38-55 and the 45-70 available in a 32" barrel. I've owned one in the 45-70 it is a cheaply made rifle but I admit it is accurate. Like any firearm if you shoot it enough taking the time to learn where to hold at different ranges it will usually hit where you point it.
I use a Lyman rear peep along with a Lyman front globe sight. There are two different diameter holed peeps that can be screwed in depending the range/light/etc. and I've had 2 diameters more machined to fit. The front globe has an array of inserts for the same reason.
The group of us that get together to shoot strive to keep it as simple as possible, it realy isn't rocket science, a heavy dose of black powder under a heavy enough bullet to aide in bucking wind drift. I like my buddies are always tinkering with different mixes for our cast bullets always searching for just the perfect mix if there truely is a perfect mix. I also shoot jacketed bullets as do each of the others save one member of our group whom edges on what he calls "trueism" to the call. Basically we keep it fun.
If you are serious in learning more I suggest the SASS website and Bulleting Board forums there you will find many posters whom know a hell of a lot more than I do about the sport.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, I just have barrel sights on my Sharps 110 and I'd like to try your setup. What Lyman sight do you use? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

B
B
I have a Lyman #57 SML aperture receiver sight that took a bit of shimming and inletting to fit. If your receiver is round I believe the Lyman #57 will fit. I use the #17 AML with inserts the height as I recall is .445".
Another sight to look into are tang sights that flip up and down that you may like as well though I've not found them to be as precise for distance shooting but are quick to use for hunting. My 1874 Sharps has a tang sight mounted on it with an faux ivory insert front blade it is quick and deadly on deer.

Edited to add: In the past I have found the customer service people at Lyman very helpful in sight selection for any application. There are different size beads ie. 1/16 or 3/32, heights, widths etc. their toll free # was 1-800-225-9626 give them a call my knowledge of their product line is limited to my own selection.

Last edited by Bloodline; 02/06/11.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bloodline--I will say it again. You are a lying troll. You have proved it with your own words. Lyman doesn't even make a rear sight that has enough elevation to reach 1000 yards with a BPCR. The Lyman 57 is a RECEIVER sight and doesn't even come close to having enough elevation. How do you "inlet" and shim one to fit on the action of a Sharps 1874? The TANG on a Pedersoli Quigley is drilled and tapped for a tang sight. I have never in my life seen a receiver sight mounted on an 1874 Sharps. WTF? You will need 140 to 150 minutes of elevation to reach 1000 yards with your 17A front sight, and the Lyman 57 simply can't provide it. I know because I have a Pedersoli equipped with that front sight, and have a proper Soule tang sight mounted on the rifle. The Lyman 57 is a 350 yard sight AT BEST.

3 out of 5 hits at a 14 inch gong at 1000 yards? That is less than 1.5 MOA and will win or place in the top three at the NRA Creedmoor Nationals at Raton. I have coached and spotted a shooter to two national championships at Raton, one at mid range and the other at long range shooting a Sharps. I have a very good idea what it takes to hit a target at 1000 yards with one of these things, and a Lyman 57 receiver sight is not on the equipment list.

One other thing. I don't think you even own a Pedersoli Quigley. If you did you would know that you don't "file the trigger" on one. They come from the factory with one of the finest double set triggers made. Sorry, pal, but your stories just don't add up. You ARE a troll and a liar, and you are busted. Rather you busted yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
hook, line & sinker...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well you guys are telling him !!!!! grin I just got an original 1895 deluxe rifle in 405 friday ,made in 1904 the first year of the 405. fancy wood, checkered, lyman reciever sight ,and jotsam pad. ill letters right from winchester .This pad is unmarked ,some came with Winchester embossed in them. I have a regular winchester 1895 in 405 made in 1928 also. for a rifle with over 3000ft.lbs. of muzzle energy these really shoot nice ,just a little push no harsh recoil. maybe next year i'll dump a black bear with the deluxe its nice but i will hunt it. Don

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Loggah; 02/06/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lovely rifles, congratulations!

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Loggah

Now that is a nice 405 Win. Hope you do get a black bear with it. What a great looking gun and great caliber. Gotta love em.
Thanks for the pics.

Mouse

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
we got a lot of bear around here they usually get 2or 3 a year across the road at my brothers camp, i may just have to dump one. Thanks for the compliments it is a nice rifle, wish i could find T.R.'s initials on it !!!! grin Don

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very nice rifles. Congratulations.

B
B
I'm not one for 'net chest puffing or arguement believe what you wish. I will add to my orginal statement about hitting the plate at 1000 yds that one our group of shooters can make it jump at that range with a Winchester mdl 43 218Bee! It is a simple matter of knowing where to hold...I'll admit it takes one hell of a lot of practice shots to find the aim point but it is done and you may believe that or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bloodline you ought to just quit while you can.
In the first plae you laid out your lack of knowledge and experience when you stated you didn't know why anybody should want to load the 405 to factory ballistics.
Then you go on with a load of bullspit about using a bullet that most likely won't achieve the moa necessary to hit that plate at the distance you stated, let alone the bogus sight equipment you speak of.
Sharpsguy is a nationally recognized bpcr shooter, with a pretty fair amount of credibility to speak from . I've shot with him on several occasions and can tell you the man knows his business.
With the sights you claim to be using I'm not sure how you could see that plate hung in a tree at the distances you stated, and I can only imagine at how many hundreds of rounds it would take to have a good spotter be able to walk you into making 1 hit on that plate , with no berms or good background to call the misses from.
Sharpsguy laid out the very fact of the matter on your lie about the sights you claim to be using.
There's no chest pounding gone on here, its a matter of a lier being called out...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
B
B
Originally Posted by Ranch13

Sharpsguy is a nationally recognized bpcr shooter, with a pretty fair amount of credibility to speak from . I've shot with him on several occasions and can tell you the man knows his business.
With the sights you claim to be using I'm not sure how you could see that plate hung in a tree at the distances you stated, and I can only imagine at how many hundreds of rounds it would take to have a good spotter be able to walk you into making 1 hit on that plate , with no berms or good background to call the misses from.
Sharpsguy laid out the very fact of the matter on your lie about the sights you claim to be using.
There's no chest pounding gone on here, its a matter of a lier being called out...

I have no reason to doubt he is everything you have written heck he may walk on water too for all I know good for him and you. Though I do take exception to your statement about being walked into the target without berms etc. . I ask how on earth would you know where I shoot, with whom and with what?
Let me ask you this: Is there a tad out there that hasn't had a fresh brick of 22LR and tried to "walk" his bullet onto a target at some outlandish range? I know I've done it in the past an admit to trying it every now an again still. No great shakes to doing it either.
I also have an 1874 Sharps/American Arms that sports a Marbells tang sight that I hunt with and on occasion "walk" it's bullet onto that very same plate, once you find that aiming point there isn't much to it. Just like a kid with a fresh box of 22LR. Do it every shot NEVER but enough to keep at it for fun. Sharpsguy may be the guru of the sport and this site, good for him I wish to take nothing away from him but to stick one's nose in the air and claim someone is a lying troll just 'cause they too shoot for fun with friends on a sunny afternoon not living for the sport is a shameless act of snobbery. Enough said from both sides I'm going out to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bloodline he and I are calling you a lying troll because of the statementt you've made about being able to hit a target such as a 14x14 inch plate hung from a tree at a lazered 986 yds 3 out of 5 times..With a 405 gr hard cast bullet. Never mind the nonsense about how you could find the "aiming spot" to hit that target at that distance with the amount of hold over required from those short range hunting sights you've cobbled up on what ever rifle you dreamt up you own...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Bloodline Though I do take exception to your statement about being walked into the target without berms etc. . I ask how on earth would you know where I shoot, with whom and with what?
. [/quote]

Well that question was asked of you in this thread, you've yet to answer it....

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bloodline
Sharpsguy has a PM.
*Listen I do not claim to be THE FINAL ANSWER to any type of reloading of smokeless an most of all BP. In the scheme of my reloading knowledge I'm fairly new to BP (around 9 yrs with reloading BP/brass) and I think of myself as a rookie around some others, but what is fact is fact and one of those facts is that my Quigley 45-120 is accurate with my cast bullet over black powder. Another is that with some regularity I can and do ring a 14"x14" piece of plate steel hanging from a limb at a lasered 986 yds. Do I hit it every shot? Hell no! no one does that I shoot with though I do hit it an average 3 out of 5 shots on a windless day.
I can see no need nor future in internet muscle flexing on this or any subject thus I shall sit back an enjoy the read.

**Here's another shocker " I pick the Steelers to win by 2 pts.

Here's more proof to the bullspit in this post. The following picture is taken thru a spotting socpe at the targets at a well known bpcr shoot. The buffalo is 800 yds, stands about 6ft high and is 8ft long, the bear is nearly 10 ft square and is at 970 yds, and the 1000 yd rectangle is 6x8.
It takes a good load with 500 gr bullets to get there and stay on target. As of yet I've not seen anybody shooting 405 gr 45 caliber bullets be able to keep 3 out fo 5 hits on any one of those targets let alone a 14x14 inch group on those targets..
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
bloodline: Your first posting here-EVER- (?), aside from being plain wrong in your knowledge of the 405 and TR's opinion of it, came across as negative and condescending. Your follow on posts continued in that vein, especially with what was obviously incredulous regarding your use of a 300 yard sight on a 1000 yard target for starters, especially like you depicted it; "hanging from a tree" which suggests no back berm and thus impossible to spot the fall of shot. As a Former Marine and with a little experience at the 1000 yard range at Quantico (we used a 6' bull), your claims certainly qualify for the "Amazing Shots" TV show. You just picked the wrong guys to impress, both Sharpsguy and Ranch are professionals and frankly I don't think you are being forthcoming. jorge

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.