Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The best reticle leveling device I've yet found...
is the MK 1 standard issue eyeball.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That's basically what I do.. Ensure the action's level, then rotate the scope to align with a verticle line I have drawn on the wall at the far end of the shop.. Takes about 3-5 mns, tops..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Brownells sells a device called the "Vertical Reticle Instrument" for under $50.00. Bought one and have used it
several times. It really works. I've tried a couple of other gadgets that didn't. I've used the "eyeball" method and it also works, but usually requires numerous attempts. Some are
much more talented than I; my gunsmith does the eyeball technique quickly and correctly.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have the wheeler level. It's ok, but the races have to be square for it to work. I don't know how precise it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does anyone know where I can find a Segway Reticle Leveler ? I have tried several places, and they seem to be discontinued. I know there have to be some out there somewhere..

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have used a level across the bases enough times but it is tough it the scope is already in the rings to fit that level under there. I have laid a machinist rule in the raceways and put the level on that. I then put the little line level across the top of the turret- if that doesn't seem level. I will then use a plumb line on the wall just for that, rotating the vice to line it up and double checking the action. I wish I could afford to upgrade everything to rail mounted scopes!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, I do have the DeadEye Leveler, but I am still looking for a Segway Reticle leveler, if I can find one. It's just such a simple tool..

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Wheeler LLL is a joke. I've tried torpedo levels or small string levels on the turret, but find myself just eyeballing it and shouldering it a few times while looking at the level edge of a building.

Mine are canted a bit as perfectly level always looks funny when I shoulder my rifles. A slight cant doesn't hurt a thing for hunting rifles when zeroing at 200 or 250 and shooting to a max of 400. Perfectly level only matters for long range shooting IME.

loder

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You're right, Reloader7RM. It takes a pretty serious amount of reticle cant to make much of a difference at 99% of shot distances.

I also was not impressed with the Wheeler Level-level-level.

I've tried several methods and for simplicity I have settled on lining up the vertical crosshair with the center of the groove in the bottom of the bolt slot or the hole where the rear action screw comes up through the tang. I've checked that method against some more sophisticated ones and it seems quite accurate. YMMV

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
one of the more frustrating aspects of being a rifle looney, IMO

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
That's basically what I do.. Ensure the action's level, then rotate the scope to align with a verticle line I have drawn on the wall at the far end of the shop.. Takes about 3-5 mns, tops..

Same here except I use my patio door for the verticle line.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use my caliper. In most instances I've come across there is a flat area beneath the scope turret.
One jaw under the action the other over the turret or cap. Turn the scope till you have full contact with both jaws and then snug the ring screws.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just eyeball the vertical crosshair and align it with the centerline of the bolt. Just imagine the vertical crosshair extends down below the scope. Easy. Seems to work perfect for me.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to use the "level on the bottom half of the ring, then on the turret" method. Then I bought a Segway Reticle leveler and have used that ever since, seems to work pretty good.

I have also used the vertical line method.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AsphaltCowboy
I use my caliper. In most instances I've come across there is a flat area beneath the scope turret.
One jaw under the action the other over the turret or cap. Turn the scope till you have full contact with both jaws and then snug the ring screws.

Sounds like a GREAT idea...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I level it to suit my eye then go hunting while everyone else is busy trying to level with a level. If it is slightly out of cant one will naturally square it in a hunting situation when pointing the rifle without even realizing he is doing it.The whole slighlty out of cant thing becomes kind of pointless when one is shooting from unlevel terrain.Do it so it looks good to your eye and go hunt.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I go by eye................

hey get it????

(grin)

Thank me later............

and yes, I'm the man.............
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Skivvy
You have a PM

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by Redneck

Same here except I use my patio door for the verticle line.

+1 Front right corner of my neighbors hours works perfect.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
SST Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Turn the supported rifle up side down and suspend a homemade plumb bob from the muzzle. Rotate the scope until the vertical crosshair lines up. Simple as it gets.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 338reddog, 204guy, 1lessdog, 2ndwind, 24 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,447
Posts18,507,899
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.