Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend who is in a bad situation and I'd like to pick your brains for some advice.

Last week he bought a nice old Winchester M70 in .257 Roberts on GunBroker. The seller was a pawnshop in Texas. This is a rifle my buddy had wanted for years and he saved and swapped off several items to make the purchase. He's been cradling the thing like a newborn baby since it arrived.

Today, his phone rang and it was the police dept in the Texas town where the pawnshop is located. Turns out the gun was stolen and will have to be returned. My friend is understandably heartbroken and angry at this turn of events.

My question: Have any of you ever been in a similar situation? Does my friend have any recourse with the seller to ensure that he makes it right as far as a refund of the cost of the gun, his FFL fees, shipping, etc? Will GunBroker offer any support in cases like this?

The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me leery of internet transactions, although I suppose the same sort of thing could have happened locally.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
GB1

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If the theft was covered by insurance to the original owner the gun now belongs to the insurance company. The insurance company will get the gun from the police. They can then sell it to who ever they want to recover their investment. If your friend really wants that particular rifle then I suggest he try to get to the insurance company. At least this is how I have seen it handled in Minnesota.

As to GB and the dealer I would think GB would support the dealer to return the money to the buyer. As for the fees and shipping he may be out of luck.

Sorry to hear this sad story.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
OUCH!!! Not a hundred dollar rifle either. Thanks for the heads up. I haven't really considered that possibility.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It should be up to the Pawn Shop to reimburse, at least here in Colorado it would be. The Pawn Shops here are not to sell an item until they have cleared the serial numbered merchandise through the police dept. (especially guns) Once that is complete they then have to wait, I believe, 30 days more to make sure no report has been made. Then they can put it up for sale. I would check with the police in the jurisdiction of the pawn shop and see if they screwed up. It's a sticky situation either way. Ryan

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bushwacker, with what I said about Minnesota and the insurance company now owning the gun is that the same in Colorado?

I agree with you about the sticky situation

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
IC B2

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Well, I had a situation in New York State where a gun I bought from a dealer was "thought" to be stolen. According to the police, before the info was found to be in error, I was to turn it over to the local State Police barracks and that was it.

I would have had to try to get the dealer to compensate me but that would have probably ended in court and I would have probably lost the case. The dealer bought the gun in good faith and sold it the same way. It seems that the last person holding the gun is the one out of luck. Of course, laws vary in different states.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LRF, In Colorado when if the insurance company pays out for something and then the item is recovered, then it is the property of the insurance company and can be bought back by any of the owners. I would expect that they would offer it for sale back to the original owner first. Either way the end buyer is getting screwed. Not a good resolution for any party other then the original owner and insurance. It leaves the buyer and the Pawn Shop on the hook.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats sorta ironic that it's the same rifle my dad had on consignment at the Syracuse gunshow years ago....and it got stolen from the gunshow. Win M-70 in 257. Seems I remember the original owners Homeowners policy covered it.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Phil99
...phone rang and it was the police dept in the Texas town where the pawnshop is located. Turns out the gun was stolen and will have to be returned...

Don't assume anything.

Don't assume that your friend is required to bend over and spread his cheeks. Don't assume that Goober from Texas is who he says he is, or that he is giving you the straight information. Police make mistakes. At a minimum, ask for documentation. Ask your local PD or State Police for advice, and to get involved. (Don't assume local/State PD will know what to do, or give a rat's behind about the issue.) Contact the pawnshop, GB, and the Texas PD. If your friend purchased it in good faith, he has nothing to lose except money. Anticipate push back (threats) from Texas for even asking questions. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for verification. It is not unreasonable to ask for compensation. If at some point the information you get from the various parties does not fit or sound correct, slow down the process, and investigate a bit more.

Whether original owner wants it back, LE needs it for evidence, GB or pawn shop can make restitution, the theft report is legitimate, are just some of the thousands of possibilities in this scenario. One fact: your friend is the current possessor, and has much more control of the situation than the Texas PD may let on. If your friend is a hard nose, the Texas PD will have to jump through many hoops to get that rifle. Texas is a long way from Michigan.

Don't get me wrong. I am very pro-LEO, and the majority of my hunting partners are LEO. Nearly every gun I have I would want back, if stolen from me. With every used gun I purchase, I anticipate I may have to give it back due to it being stolen at some point in its history. I would regret the loss of the gun, but understand the risk of buying used. The reason for "XX" crossing out the last digits of serial numbers in internet posts is to hide the potential of having to return a gun to its previous rightful owner. I don't "X"-out serial numbers, and I have no problem returning a gun. However, I will ensure it goes to the rightful owner before I give it over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In TX pawn shops, purchases have to be held for 21 days, for most jurisdictions, a few are 15 days.

Most shops report buys/loans via Leadsonline, some do not. Those that don't provide the local police/sheriffs departments with hard copies.

This is a pretty strange deal. I would inquire as to when the rifle was reported stolen, who pawned/sold the rifle.

I do own a pawn shop in TX, but I am not the one that sold said rifle.

Jason

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My home owners policy maxes out at $3000 less deductible. Found this out by chance as I always assumed my policy covered everything. Only way I am told to get more coverage on them is a separate rider on the policy. As I remember the rider was quite expensive for my assortment. This prompted me to buy a good safe. Certainly policies vary state to state and others might find different offerings.
I would hope that the insurance company would give the original owner first shot at recovered firearms. Especially if the value of the stolen items exceeded his policy limits.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would very much doubt that gunbroker would be of any help in the matter.

Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good advice. Thanks guys. Please keep it coming.

Has anybody ever been in a situation like this in which you had been the unknowing recipient of a stolen gun? If so, how was it resolved?

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ring3
My home owners policy maxes out at $3000 less deductible. Found this out by chance as I always assumed my policy covered everything. Only way I am told to get more coverage on them is a separate rider on the policy. As I remember the rider was quite expensive for my assortment. This prompted me to buy a good safe. Certainly policies vary state to state and others might find different offerings.
I would hope that the insurance company would give the original owner first shot at recovered firearms. Especially if the value of the stolen items exceeded his policy limits.

Mine is $2500 less $500 deductable for theft but full coverage less deductable for fire. Most home owners policies are similar. If you want to buy additional coverage for theft it is expensive. I looked into it once and figured if I paid the premiums for 15 years and didn't claim a theft...the total cost of coverage was more than the value of my collection. If you think your guns are fully covered under your regular homeowners policy for theft....you are probably wrong

Last edited by 99guy; 02/07/11.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guns are not separated out of a policy by USAA

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Guns are not separated out of a policy by USAA

Huh?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
USAA told me they will cover an unlimited value of guns in my house with no additional policy.

Andrew
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drew I have USAA and my guns are insured under Valuable Personal Property. This is part of my homeowners but added on.Tom

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've never bought a stolen one but had one stolen in transit thru FedEx. I keep an eye out for it.

Rod, the best advice I've heard here is to make dam sure the requesting party back in Texas is a legit LEO. This sorta sounds like an opportunity for a whole new internet related scam job.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Alright a little misinformation being floated here. Now I can't speak for texas but most laws are the same when it comes to guns. I manage a pawn shop so here is what i know. Guns are regulated by the federal government so they are exempt from the 21 or 30 day waiting period to sell after purchase. Local laws cannot superceed federal law. The pawn shop (if proper paperwork was filed) is not liable for selling an item later deemed to be stolen. The original seller is required to make resitution to whomever posses the gun at time of confiscation. IE they are licensed to buy items and have all the neccessary paperwork so unless there is someway to prove they knew the items were stolen they are off the hook. Usually leaves you trying to collect money from some no name dirtbag who has no money to give you so you get a check for 20 bucks every six months. Any reputable pawn shop would issue a refund upon the return of the gun. IE call the shop, mail the gun back to the shop then let the shop turn the gun over to police so they can get resitution. If you turn it over to the police yourself the shop has no way to get restitution and they won't issue a refund. As far as keeping the gun goes once it is in the hands of the police its gone. I doubt the original owner will ever see it again. Gonna end up in some deputies gunsafe somewhere after it rots in evidence room for 5 years. Tell your buddy to document every phone call and get names and don't turn the gun over till he absolutly has too. Most cases never even end up being prosicuted and the gun dissapears. Basically if the pawn shop doesn't feel like refunding the money he is up Sh$t creek and he is gonna end up with no gun and no money. We have only ever had a few items come up stolen and confiscated from the people we sold them to. I work with the police to have the item picked up from my store and have the purchaser bring it to me (I issue a full refund) and then I turn it over to the police and in turn am the last owner so I am in line to deal with the restitution nightmare. Makes for good customers and a solid business name and really is just the right thing to do. Plus I usually have only 25 percent of the cost the purchaser did so I have less to lose. Anyway hope that helps. PM me for my phone number I'd be happy to talk to you about it. The gun community is pretty small so word gets around in a hurry and unless the pawn shop is owned by a total dirtbag he is gonna do what is necessary to make it right. Don't get mouthy or pushy cause legally he really doesnt have to do anything for you but if you are straightforward and courtious you should recieve a refund on return of the item. BTW I a rifle just like that in the store six months ago.

Last edited by Idaho_DJ; 02/07/11.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.