Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I don't dissagree with how a VLD kills, since it kills just like all bullet kill.

A VLD doesn't allow enough penetration on all shot angle thus not giving as good of a guarentee as other bullets

The VLD went to sleep as a target bullet and woke up a hunting bullet with no other changes.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

I don't dissagree with how a VLD kills, since it kills just like all bullet kill.

A VLD doesn't allow enough penetration on all shot angle thus not giving as good of a guarentee as other bullets

The VLD went to sleep as a target bullet and woke up a hunting bullet with no other changes.
...........Kills like "ALL" bullets kill??? It certainly does not! Principles are the same but the affects are different.

My shot angles are patiently waited for. At shooting angles of about 30 degress and less, the VLDs will do just fine as my own experience qualifies that to be true.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

...........Kills like "ALL" bullets kill??? It certainly does not! Principles are the same but the affects are different.

My shot angles are patiently waited for. At shooting angles of about 30 degress and less, the VLDs will do just fine as my own experience qualifies that to be true.

Kills differently how? All of the bullets that I have ever used or seen used killed by massive blood loss or by taking out the central nervous system

What magic does the VLD use to "kill differently"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The Bergers simply use a different concept of killing....

Interesting...... confused

There are no "different concepts of killing".

All bullets "kill" through the mechanical destruction of tissue and bone...how much tissue is destroyed is a function of their design/build characteristics,impact velocity,rate of expansion,and the medium into which they are fired.

A hunting bullets'first job is to penetrate,second to expand....no necromancy involved.

With soft tissue hits,no bullet "guarantees" DRT....anyone with any hunting experience knows this.

I have no problem with anyone using any bullet they have confidence in....but some stuff I have seen runs pretty contrary to "VLD" wisdom....at one point I had killed 12-13 head of game,pretty much consecutively, that were essentially "DRT"; using various calibers and weights of Bitterroots at pretty high velocity(of course as with all great things, the string eventually ended;I suspect it was as much dumb luck as well as a great bullet).

...this is a bullet that does NOT fragment...at all.....rather, it opens pretty rapidly to a very wide frontal area,holds that broad frontal area until it is stopped or exits;very high weight retention..barnes like...through passage through the animal....

There was plenty of damage,and very dead critters....to claim any of this as "old school" is.....utter nonsense....and demonstrates lack of experience smirk

I have long suspected that this....not fragmentation...is what makes things like BT's and possibly VLD's...to kill quickly...rapid expansion to a broad frontal area within vitals,crushing them rapidly in an area around the wound channel,not shards of core and jacket...problem is we can't "see" this happen,and design characteristics of the bullet do not leave the evidence,because the bullet has been destroyed during its' journey....so we assume this fragmentation created the wound channel....maybe to some degree,but I suspect the bulk of damage is done by the broad face of the expanded frontal area and not by some grenade-like effect....but what do I know? frown blush

I have come to view claims of "magic" results with BG bullets about the same as promises of tax breaks from politicians....both claims can prove illusory..and unlikely to occur.Your notions may vary..... smile

BobinNH has it down as to how a bullet kills

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I think VLD's are great LONG RANGE hunting bullets as are the SMK's but as a general purpose normal hunt distance bullet, they are not my cup of tea. Stalking an Elk in thick cover in the snow is not my idea of place where I'd want a VLD, give a TTSX of TSX

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

When in the hunting fields I prefer my "bergers" between 2 pieces of bread
...................Yep! And when in the hunting fields, my Berger VLDs guarantee "elk" burgers. wink

That could be the problem, Bergers making burger........out of the front shoulder. grin

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Kills differently how? All of the bullets that I have ever used or seen used killed by massive blood loss or by taking out the central nervous system

What magic does the VLD use to "kill differently"
............I`ve used just about all bullets too. A few keep using that term "magic." There`s no magic when it comes to the VLD. It penetrates about 3" or so, through thick elk bone if necessary, and then moving into the animal, the VLD creates the most massive wound channels and vitals disruption you`d ever want to see, which "is not" the characteristic of most hunting bullets.

I wouldn`t necessarily or exactly equate massive blood loss with massive vitals disruption.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I am well aware of the damage created when a bullet comes unglued. You want to talk about damage inside you should see what a 300 grain SMK does inside and Elk chest cavity at about 150 yards. Not for the faint of heart, oh and no exit. They do the same thing to a deer under 300 yards, but when the range is beyond 300 yards they exit, eve on Elk

I have seen the same type of damage from the old cup and core bullets from the 60's and early 70's. I have also seen the VLD's used and they are a step back in history IMHO

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I love the Berger VLD threads (along with .22's on big game, "killing power," adequate elk rifles, etc. etc.) because they always bring out the same people, who all claim they're not trying to change anybody's mind, but keep posting and posting and posting and posting....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I am well aware of the damage created when a bullet comes unglued. You want to talk about damage inside you should see what a 300 grain SMK does inside and Elk chest cavity at about 150 yards. Not for the faint of heart, oh and no exit. They do the same thing to a deer under 300 yards, but when the range is beyond 300 yards they exit, eve on Elk

I have seen the same type of damage from the old cup and core bullets from the 60's and early 70's. I have also seen the VLD's used and they are a step back in history IMHO
...............That reminds me! Berger has their 338 caliber 300 gr VLD coming out? We`ll see how well it shoots from my 338-378 Bee. Yep! A reeeel step back allright!!

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

...............That reminds me! Berger has their 338 caliber 300 gr VLD coming out? We`ll see how well it shoots from my 338-378 Bee. Yep! A reeeel step back allright!!

We have moved forward from standard cup and core the first step was the Partition, Bitteroot bonded core, A-Frame and TSX's and the AcuBond Bonded Cores, and now Berger brings us right back to cup and core.

YEA A REAL BREAK THROUGH ALL RIGHT ....[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

We have moved forward from standard cup and core the first step was the Partition, Bitteroot bonded core, A-Frame and TSX's and the AcuBond Bonded Cores, and now Berger brings us right back to cup and core.

YEA A REAL BREAK THROUGH ALL RIGHT ....[Linked Image]

............Don`t care about what is considered a break thru and what is not. Results is what I care about.

My kill score card reads.......VLDs - 48,,,,,,,animals - 0

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My score card says TSX 108, animals zero

Do you have a point?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

My score card says TSX 108, animals zero

Do you have a point?
.............The point is this. The VLDs work. If they didn`t I`d post as such. Yep! And my score card reads a couple of hundred using other bullets too.

We can keep going back and forth until the glaciers melt. Dislike them as you may, you cannot argue with success.

We just differ on how it can be achieved.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

If you ever run out of Bitterrots, the Norma Oryx works very similarly--and is usually VERY accurate as well.

JB: Thanks....I have a ways to go yet....270 supply is getting low but still have plenty of 7MM,30,and 375's.....I mighta "overbought".... smile

Badley, yes that is what I am saying...just my personal view but from what little I can see the Bergers fill a niche "way out there".

I am not a LR hunter by todays standards,600 yards being the limit for routine practice,and since I have not been troubled by elk going anywhere, hit with the Partitions and BBC's I typically use, there is little reason for a changeup for me. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The 300 grain VLD and Hybrid Bergers have been out for a long time already..and basically flopped (pun intended). You cant shoot the 300 grain VLD to your 33-378's potential because of nose slump beyond 2900 fps. Supposedly they are going to correct this..I'll just use Scenars and SMK's, they got it right the first time..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I love the Berger VLD threads (along with .22's on big game, "killing power," adequate elk rifles, etc. etc.) because they always bring out the same people, who all claim they're not trying to change anybody's mind, but keep posting and posting and posting and posting....

I think it is funny when the VLD proponents recommend limiting shots to shallow angles and don�t want to discuss what happens when shallow angles turn into something else. Instead they simply want to dismiss the idea that such is a legitimate concern or they just ignore the question, neither of which is responsive. Ask the question repeatedly, as I have, and the silence is deafening.

Berger says 2-3� before expansion and maybe 14� after that. I believe them. You say (paraphrasing) one shouldn�t expect a VLD to �dent� the off-side ribs, and I believe you, too. Which simply means that the buck I shot in 2007, where an easy quartering away shot turned into a hit low in the right ham when the animal turned and stepped forward as the trigger broke, likely would have been badly wounded but VLD fragments likely wouldn�t have reached the diaphragm. I�ve seen enough three-legged animals outdistancing the hunter that shot them to know I don�t care to be in that situation. The North Fork I used was recovered from up against the sternum. A year later I put a MRX into the chest of a mule deer and it exited the rear. Both animals were on the ground in the blink of an eye so I fail to see how a VLD could have performed any better � and plenty or ways for a less than satisfactory ending on the first one.

Again, people are free to use what they want, I really don�t care. For the benefit of everyone, however, I do think the VLD proponents ought to have an honest discussion about what happens when things don�t go as planned and quit being non-responsive.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/14/11.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Coyote Hunter and all, I'm mighty impressed with the VLD's on mule deer - have only shot three with the Bergers - but I think for elk, bear and bigger critters I'll be sticking with Partitions, Accubonds or TSX bullets. Have used them in the past with success and my confidence in them is high. To me it makes sense to use the bigger tougher bullets on bigger tougher game.

FWIW, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
� and plenty or ways for a less than satisfactory ending.......

You mean like this.....
6.5mm 140g VLD at 3400fps.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nice entrance

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 22 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.