Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This book covers the type of situation you are talking about and has
a lot of helpful ideas: Patriots: Surviving in the Coming Collapse

You need a group of people to ensure that there is someone on guard at all times and enough to fight off an attack.

You should have a place that is located away from populations centers as those are the areas that will suffer the worse depredations.

Have the resources required to farm and raise livestock.

Stockpile supplies of gas and diesel because it won't be available.

You need a large supply of ammo and reloading supplies.

Standardise firearms and calibers.

Prepare your retreat to for a firefight with bad guys. Solid bullet proof walls, doors and windows. Fire proofing. A source of water. Barriers to vehicles and people that don't provide cover. Hidden observation point and something to detect and warn of intruders. A dog or two is also useful. An alarm to rouse people in an emergency. A bicycle powered generator, solar panels and 12 volt wiring and 12 volt low power lights. A large supply of wood.

Training so you will have someone skilled in: Medicine, Machining, Auto maintenance, carpentry/construction/plumbing, Reloading. Group training so you can fight together efficiently.

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
not a war in history was won with weapons alone. Logistics wins wars.

The only two caveats I would throw up is that you should standardize on MILITARY GRADE WEAPONS. Not converted sporting guns, not Citizen home defense weapons, not things that only look 'tactical', but are not sturdy enough for the long run.

A single fire fight can put more wear and tear on a weapon than a life time of plinking at the range.

Second, make sure your training is up to par. Make sure your spare parts, knowledge of how to repair your firearms, and the mind set of your family is up to the task.
+1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Whatever guns you have for a SHTF scenerio they are going to be for only a couple things:
1. Protecting what you got from other people intent on taking what you got. Probably small groups or individuals
2. Used for taking game to provide food on the table.

This is just my opinion, but the illusion of fighting off hundreds of people and needing thousands upon thousands of rounds is imo just ridiculous. The reality is, if you face even a small group, say squad size, of an organized, trained and equipped force- you are toast. What do you have to fend off supresive fire from LMG's, grenade attacks, and heaven forbid artilary or airstrikes.
It is just a pipe dream. What you need is a safe place to hide out.
Just trying to survive in a non functional society will be hard enough, let alone with people out there trying to kill you.

Hemi

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
It is just a pipe dream. What you need is a safe place to hide out.
Just trying to survive in a non functional society will be hard enough, let alone with people out there trying to kill you.

Hemi

I am not so sure that there IS a 'safe place to hide out'. There are places that are less accessible, harder to get to, but all of America has been explored and mapped for many years.

A reason to have a goodly supply of ammunition, is that there is just no way of knowing how long a time of crisis and societal breakdown would last.
If you ever did have to defend yourself, even from a small group of attackers, trust me, you can burn through more ammunition than you think you will. I would not be comfortable with less than 3K rounds for every combat worthy long gun, and at least a thousand for every combat hand gun.
Knowing how to re load, and having a supply of components is a good idea as well.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are remotely serious, you ought to get a bolt action 22lr and 10,000 rds of ammo.

All the rest are heavy, and if you NEED them , you are probably toast anyway.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I guess I should have used the term "safer" place to hide out. Maybe your home is safer than say the next town over. Maybe it is your cabin in the woods, or maybe it is on your yacht in the middle of the carribean. IDK.
I'll agree with you on the need for more ammo than what you would expect.
But I'll leave you with this question. How long you think the average gunfight is going to last between two survivalist? Weather it be a group or mano e mano fight?
I'll guess this. If you have "invaders" trying to take your stuff and the bullets start flying, most will probably retreat. Maybe if they too have guns, they will let off some covering fire for their retreat. Most people are not ready to risk their lives and will go off to find "easier" pickings.
Now, the scenerio where they come in and don't flee after the inital shots- well their either hell bent on killing you or crazy and I don't really want to meet either of those people. In that cse, you are right. Mass supressive fire and lots of ammo.

Hemi

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Someone on one of these threads in the past said he keeps his cabin cruiser stocked and ready to be out to sea until the smoke clears. He was less worried about guns and ammo than he was fish hooks and propane.

Me, I'll go live with the Amish.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
no matter the location, no matter your preps, things probably will be pretty bad for us all.
I really feel for those that need maintenance meds and require electricity for medical equipment. Those folks are going to have a life expectancy measured much closer than the healthy.
The obese, as well, won't last long.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if TEOTWAWKI comes will there still be LPE Inc.?

and if so we will we need to bet with, instead of opposite, their picks to make money?

i'm covered on the firearm gig we have a mod 67 .22 and half a box of shells

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Food, water and gas will run out real quick in the cities and there will be gangs of thugs venturing out into first suburbia and then rural areas looking for easy pickings. You will probably have the loner looking to score to deal with but you will also at some point have gangs making their way out. You think they will rest content to starve to death in the city?

Why would anyone in their right mind hoard 10,000 rounds of .22lr and ignore the ease of 2000 rounds of .223? Good luck fending off that SUV filled with crackmonkeys with a .22lr.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best idea I can come up with is bugging out in a large sailboat. You can be very close to land and still be out of the reach of most of the wandering crazies. You have a ton of mobility, you have little to no need for gas, you'll be a hell of lot safer than on land. Very few people will choose this option. Most will drive into the "country" until they run out of gas, then wander around from there. Last place I'd want to be is with the masses on the highway. With a sailboat, you can hide out in remote places, maybe find a country where the SHNHTF. From a defensive position, you have a pretty good view of boats coming your way, so you can prepare accordingly.

Pretty soon, with lot of folks out foraging, small and larger game will be hunted pretty much to extinction. However, I doubt that I will ever run out fish to catch and if I do, I can always move the boat somewhere else. I'll never run out of drinking water and disposing of waste isn't a problem. Its easy to fit out a sailboat with a few solar panels to charge batteries for lighting at night.

I'm not sure I could live on fish alone, or in a sailboat forever, but I think this plan has fewer holes in it than most I've heard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This thread should shut the [bleep] DOWN,.....

the OP is running a Ron Paul Campaign thread now,....and hasn't the BALLS to respond to a CHITLOAD of good advice, and honest inquiry.

Bored,...plumb stupid,....or something worse ?

I dunno,....but the scenario STINKS

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sailboat has many attractions as a bug out vehicle.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Food, water and gas will run out real quick in the cities and there will be gangs of thugs venturing out into first suburbia and then rural areas looking for easy pickings. You will probably have the loner looking to score to deal with but you will also at some point have gangs making their way out. You think they will rest content to starve to death in the city?

Why would anyone in their right mind hoard 10,000 rounds of .22lr and ignore the ease of 2000 rounds of .223? Good luck fending off that SUV filled with crackmonkeys with a .22lr.

location, location, location...

if you're fighting, you won't last long.

If you're hunting, you will need to last long.

It would be a miracle if any of us get out of this world alive.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomSmith
The best idea I can come up with is bugging out in a large sailboat. You can be very close to land and still be out of the reach of most of the wandering crazies. You have a ton of mobility, you have little to no need for gas, you'll be a hell of lot safer than on land. Very few people will choose this option. Most will drive into the "country" until they run out of gas, then wander around from there. Last place I'd want to be is with the masses on the highway. With a sailboat, you can hide out in remote places, maybe find a country where the SHNHTF. From a defensive position, you have a pretty good view of boats coming your way, so you can prepare accordingly.

Pretty soon, with lot of folks out foraging, small and larger game will be hunted pretty much to extinction. However, I doubt that I will ever run out fish to catch and if I do, I can always move the boat somewhere else. I'll never run out of drinking water and disposing of waste isn't a problem. Its easy to fit out a sailboat with a few solar panels to charge batteries for lighting at night.

I'm not sure I could live on fish alone, or in a sailboat forever, but I think this plan has fewer holes in it than most I've heard.

Make sure you watch out for those badazz Waterworld dudes! They hide on their jet skis under the water.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stay outta' those "Islands" with the "Digesters" , too.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1. Wrist rocket and bags of marbles.
2. Rubber band gun
3. Rubber hatchet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'm a landlubber, can only get to the cabin by boat or snowmachine, easy to drop enough trees behind you so you'd have some warning of others trying to get where we & the neighbors are.

done strategically the jams would be done in places where it would be easy to mow some trespassers down and take advantage of higher ground

if they have airpower we're toast, but if they have air at their disposal we'd be way down the list for a target it seems

just idle thoughts

doubt it will ever be needed, but a bit of comfort to know it's at our disposal and we're intimately familiar with the place as it's where we recreate

hope i can get my lpe pix by satellite phone & then call my bookie, that's the big worry

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well, Mini 14s are as expensive as a lot of other things that I'd take over them -- but not necessarily bad. Dare I say, even as a vehement opponent of an AR, I'd take one over it simply for compatibility. Then there's always the SU16, which is nice because it takes AR mags, and is featherlight.

My instructor at Pine Tech said he's seen people take the lowest-end Savage rifles out of the factory box and shoot 1 MOA with them. Go for it.

Whatever you do, for SHTF, you're going to want a lot of ammo -- thousands of rifle rounds. Pistol, not as important, but have enough to fill all your mags twice is a rule I like. Speaking of mags, get lots of those, too! laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
1. Wrist rocket and bags of marbles.
2. Rubber band gun
3. Rubber hatchet.

No flourescent paint ?

GTC

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,768
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.