Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
How does it feel to be an Army on One shipmate?

We're not shipmates,...and you are basically clueless,....

Posting some weird chit, I'd add.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
up

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I repeat,...

This poster STINKS

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As most here have said, the ability to sustain life is going to be more important than the type and number of guns you have.

Probably the biggest concern is drinking water. I would love to have a place out in the country, but over time have learned life was easier by making the wife happy. We have 3.5 acres outside of a small town. We are on city water. There is a river within a half mile of the house but it would be quite dangerous getting water if the S truly HTF. Not much I can do unless I want to dig a pond or put in a pool.

A concern for me is medication. Without it I would be dead in short order. How much is enough? Nothing is made on US soil anymore and a breakdown in the supply chain would be disasterous.

I think more realistically, things may get to how they were in the great depression, but far more people without the skills to survive. Basic needs may be met but at a high price or in short quantities. There will always be people looking to take what is yours. How far are you going to make your property safe. Nothing short of a well thought out compound is going to keep the masses out for long.

I have been planting fruit trees, increasing garden area and getting my own chickens to be more self suffficient if the need arises.

There won't be anything romantic about the SHTF and many will not last long. Those that do may not enjoy it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by Hemi
Damn, good call. Didn't even think of the zombie apocolypse!

In that case, DBL barrel shotgun in 12ga.

Screw running, I'm killing me some zom-bags!

Hemi

Oh yeah- LOTS of ammo!

Were you at work today? I drove by and thought about stopping, but due to the wind trying to wear the snow out I did my shopping and bugged out for home. I25 sucks btw.

Yeah, I'm here.....still frown

With the wind the way it is though I am not really complaining. Nothing to do outside.

Stop by next time.

Hemi

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damned RIGHT, ...I wish alla' these cornholers would quit promoting, and exciting it.

....one of those "Careful whatcha' wish for" Hang ups I pack around, daily.

"Weapons",.....GMAFB,....

GTC

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I repeat,...

This poster STINKS

GTC

Friend, Do I know you? I checked your profile and found nothing there other than SE Arizona as your admitted place of abode. I have spent some time in Arizona, and have several friends there. Have we met? I have to admit I find your post count amusing. Since the founder and #2 poster of this site has only 8K + posts, my imagination runs wild when I try to picture what you look like as you peck away, hour after hour, on your computer. Do you have a life other than the camp fire? Do you have a job? Do you own a business and provide jobs for others, or do you lie sideways in the public trough? Can you enumerate one or two services you have provided to your country or fellow American? I picture you as obese, and unkempt, but I know that is probably unfair. Have you any formal education? Have you worn a uniform? Are you a taker or a giver? Do you know Christ? Are you married? How many times? Children? Grandchildren? Do you normally attempt to intimidate those with whom you take issue with regard to their politics, religion, or other personal views? Just trying to figure out who you are my friend. I'm sure we have not met, because we would be friends.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Damn, good call. Didn't even think of the zombie apocolypse!

In that case, DBL barrel shotgun in 12ga.

Screw running, I'm killing me some zom-bags!

Hemi

Oh yeah- LOTS of ammo!

Were you at work today? I drove by and thought about stopping, but due to the wind trying to wear the snow out I did my shopping and bugged out for home. I25 sucks btw.

Yeah, I'm here.....still frown

With the wind the way it is though I am not really complaining. Nothing to do outside.

Stop by next time.

Hemi

I would have but with the wind I knew better than to dawdle. The roads were getting very crummy.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I repeat,...

This poster STINKS

GTC

Friend, Do I know you? I checked your profile and found nothing there other than SE Arizona as your admitted place of abode. I have spent some time in Arizona, and have several friends there. Have we met? I have to admit I find your post count amusing. Since the founder and #2 poster of this site has only 8K + posts, my imagination runs wild when I try to picture what you look like as you peck away, hour after hour, on your computer. Do you have a life other than the camp fire? Do you have a job? Do you own a business and provide jobs for others, or do you lie sideways in the public trough? Can you enumerate one or two services you have provided to your country or fellow American? I picture you as obese, and unkempt, but I know that is probably unfair. Have you any formal education? Have you worn a uniform? Are you a taker or a giver? Do you know Christ? Are you married? How many times? Children? Grandchildren? Do you normally attempt to intimidate those with whom you take issue with regard to their politics, religion, or other personal views? Just trying to figure out who you are my friend. I'm sure we have not met, because we would be friends.

I'd suggest that you ASK the ASSEMBLY,...right here, you mouthy azzwhole. It's NOT I who is the "Stranger" here.

Get ALL of those stupid questions answered, ...Right pronto

Do me ONE favor,...leave the Lord outta' this,...stand on yer' own two stumps,...and act like a man.

Tammy Fae ,...you ain't

GTC

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I've been reading this thread and several others like it on similar forums. I like to keep some emergency stuff on hand, like enough food to last me and the wife a month or more without resupply. Extra propane and fuel as well, though I don't keep a whole lot of gas on hand.
One thing that I've noticed is that many people assume there will be big groupd of gangs and general baddies running around trying to kill you/steal your stuff. I'm sure that's a possibility in some area's, but one of the first things to disappear would be gas and diesel,IMO. It's hard to travel much without fuel. I figure if you live an hour or more outside a major city, most people probably won't make it to where you are.
Same goes for hunting. Probably the majority of people don't have their own hunting grounds right out there back door, so after a few trips out hunting they'll be effectivly stranded.
I guess much depends on where you live, but for my loation I really don't worry about roving gangs of thieves and murderers. The closest city is 60 miles away, I live about 10 miles away from a town of 5-6000. My biggest concern is water. There is a well on the property and I'd like to figure out a way to get water in the case of a power outage. I always have enough to drink for several weeks,as I buy bottled on account of rusty well water. My little generator won't run the pump in the well. I know the location of a couple of wells with old hand pumps on them, but they are both a couple miles away.
How likely do you think it is that we'll ever have to worry about extended or permanent los of electricity right across the country? I just don't see it happening. Locally, due to weather or earthquake I could see, but not right across the country.
I did buy a bunch of seeds today, since the gun show was a bust, so I feel a little better anyway!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My hunting rifles and shotguns are all I need or want.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How about Global and out of this world SHTF!? Get those 22's ready!!

Last edited by byc; 02/26/11.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
xxclaro . . . I'm assuming you have plenty of streams in your part of Canada. There are hand held "straw filters" from which you can drink straight from any open water body and the replaceable filter strains out the impurities. Attach a hand pump to it and you can draw enough water for cooking, washing, etc. Just some additional thoughts.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well, depending...
a few api's outta my barrett may have an effect !

also, about the gas/diesel shortage.
trucks and buses parked, will have LOTS of diesel in their tanks, and a small dc powered pump dropped into underground gas station tanks will yield more than enough gas for the smart ones !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've belonged to this forum for years. Check it out.

http://www.hoodswoods.net/IVB/

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
xxclaro . . . I'm assuming you have plenty of streams in your part of Canada. There are hand held "straw filters" from which you can drink straight from any open water body and the replaceable filter strains out the impurities. Attach a hand pump to it and you can draw enough water for cooking, washing, etc. Just some additional thoughts.

"There are hand held "straw filters" from which you can drink straight from any open water body and the replaceable filter strains out the impurities."

EXACTLY,.....

How MANY "Straws / Pumps" do you currently own ?
How many CONTINENTS have you used them on ?
What's their micron / Gallon rating to NFG ?

Sorta' thing I'd be askin',...before becoming a "Sniper", and asking stupid "Squad Leader" questions,... Ace.

"Weapons"....GMAFB

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by splattermatic
well, depending...
a few api's outta my barrett may have an effect !

also, about the gas/diesel shortage.
trucks and buses parked, will have LOTS of diesel in their tanks, and a small dc powered pump dropped into underground gas station tanks will yield more than enough gas for the smart ones !

Not for long....btw..thanks for giving everone the idea. wink

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
as to the original question as far as guns needed for a long term survival situation it would be a sturdy 22lr that you could suppress in the field and a large quantity of ammo needed to gather food and a defensive rifle such as an AR, AK, AUG, Mini 14, M1A, HK91 or 93, SKS, handguns and shotguns if you can manage and transport them with a good quantity of ammo. As to the other things posted such as a sailboat (surrounded by water you can't drink) Staying put in a compound (no area under siege has survived for very long) I have no opinion of Russ

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
For the most part, civilized people will act in a civilized manner, even under stress.

I sure hope you never have to test that theory!! crazy

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by xxclaro
My biggest concern is water. There is a well on the property and I'd like to figure out a way to get water in the case of a power outage. I always have enough to drink for several weeks,as I buy bottled on account of rusty well water. My little generator won't run the pump in the well. I know the location of a couple of wells with old hand pumps on them, but they are both a couple miles away.

I seem to recall crossfire posting a link to a nice handpump for water wells before.

Last edited by Gringo Loco; 02/26/11. Reason: Add quote
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,386
Posts18,527,635
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.