Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
rifledude you are right my apologies. What do you know about those quick change barrel nuts? For the same scope, same upper 2 barrels with separate bolts and buffers?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gene L

I see the 5.56 remaining the NATO standard, but think the AR/M 16s days are numbered.

I don't think the .223 will do anything the 6.8 will do, but I also don't think the 6.8 will do anything the 5.56 will do. They're two different cartridges. In a Varmint configuration, the AR 5.56/223 is capable of whacking p-dogs out to long ranges with little recoil. I don't think the 6.8 will do that. Also, while the 6.8 is a good deer cartridge, (if the range isn't too great) so is the .223 (if the deer isn't too large.)

Were I going to buy an AR type rifle, which I won't since I've had one since 1972, I'd without hesitation get a .223. If you only have one, that's the rifle to get. If you already have a /223, maybe a 6.8 for reasons still unclear to me.

Yes, the 5.56 will undoubtedly remain the standard NATO round for the simple reason that there are too many rifles already so chambered to make such a wholesale change and you can carry more 5.56 ammo at a given weight and space requirement. The 6.8 was never meant to completely replace 5.56, but to add a better penetrating option for Special Forces use.

The M16's days may be eventually numbered in military use, but the AR's days is in no way numbered in civilian use. Even then, I highly doubt the M16 is going anywhere in military & LE use anytime soon either. If you think that's the case, you simply haven't been paying attention. There are more AR manufacturers today than ever in the platform's history. Remington offers no fewer than 8 different models of their R15 and R25 rifles, and Ruger offers 7 variations of its R556 rifle, including 2 chambered in <SHOCK!> 6.8 SPC! Ruger even offers a 10/22 conversion with the same look and ergonomics of an AR. S&W added an AR to its M&P series. All of this has transpired just in the past 5 years or so. Why would they do something so stupid if the AR isn't selling like crazy? Are you aware of the staggering number of manufacturers getting into the AR and AR component parts business, seemingly on a weekly basis?. There are more aftermarket parts available for ARs than any other 5 firearm platforms combined. It isn't even close, in fact. If the ARs days are truly numbered, the overwhelming evidence in the industry certainly doesn't bear this out.

Yes, .223 is a much better choice for a varmints just as 6.8 is a much better choice for big game animals. But if the reasons for why someone would go the 6.8 route is "still unclear to (you)" at this point, then you either haven't paid much attention to this discussion, or you have firm preconceived notions that prevent you from considering alternatives.

I live in a state where .22 centerfires are legal for deer. But in many states, they're illegal. That simple fact alone is reason enough to choose 6.8 over .223 if you happen to live in one of those states.

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have taken only one coyote with the 6.8 SPC and I believe it shines brightest in the AR-15 Platform. I really like this little cartridge and believe it will become very popular as a light kicking medium game round.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
What do you know about those quick change barrel nuts? For the same scope, same upper 2 barrels with separate bolts and buffers?

I've seen discussions about it on the net, but have never given it a try or know anyone personally who has. Looks like an interesting idea. You'd need to get some headspace gauges to go with it to verify headspace every time you change barrels. Or, at least I'd think you would.

I guess it would all depend on how often you switch between calibers as to whether it's a good option or not. It would certainly save a lot of $ if it works well and doesn't sacrifice any rigidity.

Are you thinking about trying it out? If so, I'd like to hear your impressions of the system.

Now, let's have a beer, shall we?!!! grin

Ted
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OK a beer it is.

This one does not mention headspace.

http://www.m-aparts.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1415

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice! The outer nut stays put, and only the inner nut is removed. Quick and easy. I'm actually surprised it has taken this long for someone to come up with such a simple idea!

Don't know what I was thinking on the headspace gauge thing. Once headspace is verified on an AR barrel, it seats against the barrel extension flange the same every time b/c, unlike on a bolt action, the threaded portion is on the receiver extension and barrel nut, not on the barrel extension.

Ted
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So you think the chief reason for bying an AR in 6.8 is for deer hunting?

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I personally don't use my 6.8 for deer hunting. That's not a statement on it's potential effectiveness, merely I have 7-08's, 6.5 Swedes .270's and .280's for that job.

My 6.8SPC is my dedicated hog and coyote rifle and is set up for that purpose. The 6.8spc is in my opinion, about as good as it gets for hogs. A little extra for those big boys than a .223 and yet in the AR, the recoil is practically non existant and you can tear up a group in short order.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used my 6.8 on deer just to see how it would do. Worked great on two big does at 100 yards using 110 TSX SSA loads. But, I still prefer my .308 and 7STW.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

The chief reason for me was fun. I hunt mainly with bolt actions and always will; the AR was just a fun diversion. Because of the Magpul CTR adjustable buttstock I chose, along with the mild recoil, my daughter can use it for deer hunting. It's an excellent mild recoil deer hunting round with about the same capability up to medium distances as .257 Roberts.

But, I mainly use it for hog hunting. It works very well for that. It's just powerful enough to be quite effective on hogs without having so much muzzle rise that I can't get rapid follow-up shots on other hogs in a group.

Ted
IC B3

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RifleDude

The chief reason for me was fun. I hunt mainly with bolt actions and always will; the AR was just a fun diversion. Because of the Magpul CTR adjustable buttstock I chose, along with the mild recoil, my daughter can use it for deer hunting. It's an excellent mild recoil deer hunting round with about the same capability up to medium distances as .257 Roberts.

But, I mainly use it for hog hunting. It works very well for that. It's just powerful enough to be quite effective on hogs without having so much muzzle rise that I can't get rapid follow-up shots on other hogs in a group.

The 6.8 is no joke and allows the AR-15 platform to put its best foot forward at normal hunting ranges

Checkout this thread the opening poster took a Musk Ox with 1 shot and an exit and his son took an eith foot Grizzly with 1 shot and an exit

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7621043/m/4191033741

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
interesting! The 6.8 looks very interesting. I did look at some ballistics and the 77 Sierra Match King from a .223 started at 2700 FPS, the 85 grain TSX from the 6.8SPC started at 2800 FPS, and the 130 grain TTSX from a 300 ACC blackout started at 2100 FPS all have about 850 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards, funny the 223 77 grain matchking based on the program that I ran had more energy from 300 out to 500 yards.

The SSA 110 grain 6.8 cartridges which I assume are the SPCII variety launch this bullet at 2650 which is a big difference with 1150 Ft/pounds at 200 yards.

Last edited by jimmyp; 02/28/11.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
interesting! The 6.8 looks very interesting. I did look at some ballistics and the 77 Sierra Match King from a .223 started at 2700 FPS, the 85 grain TSX from the 6.8SPC started at 2800 FPS, and the 130 grain TTSX from a 300 ACC blackout started at 2100 FPS all have about 850 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards, funny the 223 77 grain matchking based on the program that I ran had more energy from 300 out to 500 yards.

The SSA 110 grain 6.8 cartridges which I assume are the SPCII variety launch this bullet at 2650 which is a big difference with 1150 Ft/pounds at 200 yards.

Silver State sells the 6.8spc 85gr TSX starting at 2920fps to the general public and also sells an LE version at 3000fps. Plug that into your program and see how it compares.

http://www.ssarmory.com/6.8_spc_ammo_85gr_Barnes_TSX.aspx

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here is a good article on the history and capabilities of the 6.8 SPC for those still asking "why bother?"

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.8-...velopment-hornady-stag-arms-carbine/?p=1

Ted
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Most everything pertaining to 6.8 SPC is Spec II these days. If you get a barrel, make absolute certain it has a Spec II chamber and 11 twist, both of which allow higher pressures. 11 twist has shown to provide the best accuracy for the typical range of bullet weights appropriate for AR magazines -- 85 - 110 gr. I'd be surprised if anyone is currently offering 6.8 AR barrels in any other config than SPCII / 11 twist.

Ted
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by RifleDude

The 6.8 is no joke and allows the AR-15 platform to put its best foot forward at normal hunting ranges

Checkout this thread the opening poster took a Musk Ox with 1 shot and an exit and his son took an eith foot Grizzly with 1 shot and an exit

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7621043/m/4191033741

Yep, but remember both could have been killed with a 223 too...

Nice to have a 6.8, and you know I have one necked to 6mm.... but there isn't enough of an advantage to be realistic at normal ranges IMHO. IE if stepping up I"d rather make a noticeable move than an almost noticable move.
Just my take on things.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
SSA differentiates between Spec II chambers and Spec I chambers with the "tactical" reference. If the ammo is listed as tactical it is for a Spec II chamber gun......

And don't be surprised because there are companies that still offer a the 6.8 with a Spec I chamber because the bean counters have determined that the Spec I chambers are "SAAMI", Ruger being one such company.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I read somewhere that the 6.5 Grendel was a better round than the 6.8 Spec. The tests ran by this gunwriter said it had more downrange energy retention and matched the .308 at around 300 yards. I think the 6.5 Grendel has a larger case diameter than the 6.8. It is like the Winchester short mags, short and fat, but can only single stack in an AR size magazine. It also requires a new bolt and upper.

I think this is it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5_mm_Grendel

If you reload, this may be a better route than the 6.8 Spec.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 02/28/11.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I read somewhere that the 6.5 Grendel was a better round than the 6.8 Spec. The tests ran by this gunwriter said it had more downrange energy retention and matched the .308 at around 300 yards. I think the 6.5 Grendel has a larger case diameter than the 6.8. It is like the Winchester short mags, short and fat, but can only single stack in an AR size magazine. It also requires a new bolt and upper.

I think this is it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5_mm_Grendel

If you reload, this may be a better route than the 6.8 Spec.

If you like more expensive everything (uppers, brass, ammo, magazines) since it's a proprietary round and all the major AR manufacturers have avoided it like the plague. Well, Sabre makes it, but they're only semi major.

It does have better 300+ yard ballistics since it can seat higher BC bullets, but inside 300 yards it has no advantage. Like the .300 Whisper it's likely to die eventually because Alexander held the licensing rights too tight.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You also have reduced mag capacity with the Grendel since it's based off the fatter PPC case. It's a fine round in its own right, but it does nothing the 6.8 SPC won't do within normal hunting & shooting ranges you'd use an AR for.

6.8 has achieved pretty good commercial success given its recent introduction, so it's much better supported and much cheaper to shoot.

Ted
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 8 invisible), 960 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.