-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am considering a Fiber Optic front sight for my Marbles Bullseye Peep on a 20" barrel. I have never used one before. Any recommendations on Green or Orange? I am leaning to green, if no difference in the colors. Thanks.

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Green. Seems to me to show up better without being so bright, like red, to obscure or distract from the target.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personal preference, whichever you like the best.

I would choose orange over green.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I personally can't see the red or orange ones well in low light, whereas the green ones seem to glow. I've heard other guys say the same thing, as well as several guys say just the opposite. I think it has to do with the distribution of light receptors in the eye. I'd suggest a little low light experiment if you can get your hands on both colors. Many bow sights have fiber optic pins of both colors, makes it easy to compare.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't looked at orange vs green but I have compared green vs red and I prefer the red. I got a second front sight for my TC Omega and that's how I compared the two colors I mentioned. The most noticable difference for me was the red seemed sharper.

From the responses so far it seems that there's a difference in how each one of us and our eyes interprets colors.

FWIW, I have issues seeing well in the dark and I don't like to wear sunglasses unless it's extremely bright outside. That's how my eyes work.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would use green on the front, given the choice, for two reasons:

1--it does not wash out in darkness as quickly as red
2--it is not so bright in the daytime that it distracts my focus on the front sight

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I vote for green. I can see green several minutes later than I can see red or orange, and that's when it matters. Any color works when the sun is high. When I choose to paint an opaque sight rather than install a fiberoptic, I paint it white. To my estimation, a matte white bead can be seen later than any fiberoptic. TEHO.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No fiber optic front sights for me. Too easily damaged. The ventilated hoods one sees offered for them pick up too much rubbish.
I like a large white bead like the factory sights on the Ruger Alaskan .375's. E

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
what E said,,,,,I prefered the green but have broken them a time or two. The use of the white beads works just fine anymore.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
croldfort: I think Fish Head is on the right track. All eyes are not the same. Color blindness can be incremental. Sight in general is subjective.

We had a thread on target colors and different people (eyes) could see different colors better. If you haven't, go to a sporting goods or gun store and try different colors and see which YOU can see better. I think they will let you look into a dim room or into bright light.

My personal preference is orange BUT it might not work well for you.

JWALL

VEGETARIAN.......Indian Word For Poor Hunter

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can only answer to my own experience with bow sites.
It is green all the way the darker it gets. ALL the other colors are very dim to me the later it gets.

RC
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As mentioned they are very easily broken. I have gone away from
them for that reason.
good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
White bead is better, a gold dot reconfigured the way Francis Sell recommended,basically squared up, is my all time favorite. Fiber Optics are too course for my taste, by that I mean they are too large for taking a "fine" bead.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would advise against the fiber optic sight. They are typically not very durable.

Of the choices if you're getting one, I can see the green better in low light situations.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both and slightly prefer the red. I haven't broken one yet. Most of mine are Williams Firesights.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.