-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread.....ET, just imagine if they made those Gatling guns in .45-110 wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice to have you both around, great story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
The gunner on that Shadow was our own FlyBoyFlem. Today these arrived. I can't express how having these cases in my hand makes me feel. Thanks for saving our asses that night Woody!!! smile

Band of brothers my friend.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I am glad you made it. I was a door gunner on the first mini gun Huey the 4th Div got. I can still hear the roar. No sound like except for maybe a chain gun on a Warthog.
When I can find some Beie 33 I will raise a glass. I have fired a 45/70 Gatling, big fun.
D1 1/10 4th Inf 66-67

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Great thread.....ET, just imagine if they made those Gatling guns in .45-110 wink

Steve

45-70 is nice, but on the Gunships and other fighters we have Gatlings that spew 20 and 30 MM at 4>6K per minute and have High Explosive Incendiary and Armor piercing Heads. There is nothing prettier than watching a 20mm Vulcan do it's thing.

Lots of NVA truck drivers retired on account of them.

Best wishes, Bill

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you ET and Flyboyflem for your service. Next time I'm in town Jim, Mike's is on me.

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Great thread!

Hats off to you guys!

Great old pics too.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinThanks to all of you guys. The repayment however has been made (for me anyways) in the gracious manner that our little Brothers now get when they come home from War. Figuring out what the connect with Woody was came as a result of him mentioning Phu Cat AB and his assignment and time. He said (as have a few other plane and chopper boys) that a really harsh ground battle viewed from the air is like looking into Hell through the front gate. Pretty accurate description but the missing pieces were the sound and the stench. Those just defy description. You have to understand just how close we actually worked Woody's gunship in ONCE WE HAD RADIO CONTACT. Luke da Gook was really really close. He did that so we couldn't use artillery or rockets on him. We lived in the world of "DANGER CLOSE". Guys like Woody had big balls because the gooks had some impressive superheavy AA machineguns and would pop RPG's at a ship. Cobras had the same risks as they came in even closer on demand. The door to history got opened today by those cases and letting you guys know what an Infantrymans world was like seemed timely Thanks again all yo (now) drunks!!!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
-- music to go along with the times.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post and story. Hats off to you guys. My father who was in the Air Force and loaded bombs on planes always had great respect for those who actually fought. If he was still with us and it was back in his drinking days he would raise a toast to you all. Thanks for giving me a good story on one of the crappier nights ive had in a while.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My tanks also, oops that's thanks Haven't indulged this muuch for somw time but well worth it.I KNOW there are many more of you out there who have been through it and I know who many of you are..my last one of the evening goes out to YOU guys and I THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !! Have a great evening,God Bless...Woody

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
perimeter.Tommy"Sunshine" Scanlon yelled out we're [bleep]!!! I yelled at Sims to jump on the rock and shuck and jive. He said I wuz outta my friggin mind. I said Billy, the NVA ain't drafted or enlisted any [bleep] lately so jump up and dance,even a dumbass Zoomie would recognize you!!! Sims yelled back that I wuz right, jumped up and danced and the Pilot pulled off until we could get actaul radio contact with him. It would never make it into any tactical manual but we were who we were. We came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

First, incredible. Second, I'm very humbled. Third, classic 'you can't make this kind of shyt up' tale. Fourth, reminds me of a clearly bigoted, and in very poor taste, joke I heard as a kid: 'Do you know why more blacks were killed in Vietnam that Latinos, whites or other races? Because when a firefight kicked off, the leader of the unit would often scream, "GET DOWN!" While everyone else dove for cover, the brothers would jump up and start to boogie down and dance..."

Stream of consciousness. Apologies for sharing. wink

Agree with others that this thread is right up there with the very best. Thanks for sharing, Jim and FBF. All Americans stand a little taller simply by virtue of being able to call you, and all others that have served our nation, our countrymen.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've gotten in the habit of not opening most threads that grow as quickly as this one for obvious reason. I'm glad I made an exception this evening.

Great story and I'm glad it turned out okay for you guys. Thanks for serving and sharing.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Nebraska
[quote=EvilTwin] crazyWe came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

We've all hoisted a few in recognition tonite but.........
EvilTwin, if i may.........

OSCAR CRUZ GONZALES

CPL - E4 - Army - Selective Service

101st Airborne Division

Length of service 0 years
His tour began on Nov 11, 1969
Casualty was on Jan 25, 1970
In QUANG NGAI, SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
Body was recovered

Panel 14W - Line 65

Rest In Peace,our brother

"He which hath no stomach, to this fight, let him depart. But we in it, shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers!! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother.� Rest in peace brave soldier, you have not been forgotten. (W.Shakespeare)

May God Bless you, for your Sacrifice.

Last edited by chapped_lips; 03/04/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow ET! I'm speechless. Thank you for sharing.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
ET,FBF
I'll lift a glass to you and your comrades when I get home.
Regards,
RGRX

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Woody, thank you for saving my friend's life.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
[quote=EvilTwin] crazyWe came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

OSCAR CRUZ GONZALES

101st Airborne Division

HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
Body was recovered

Panel 14W - Line 65

"He which hath no stomach, to this fight, let him depart. But we in it, shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers!! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother.� Rest in peace brave soldier, you have not been forgotten. (W.Shakespeare)

NEVER would this be out of place!!!! Damn,if we were not in Binh Dinh Province, OUR "Speedy" Gonzales was KIA on 474 that same day in 1970. My Division too! Oscar Gonzales, you are in fine Company. Be at Peace Brother.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!

Glad you two, fine men made it home safe!

I will lift a glass tonight, for you and all our service men.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chapped_lips

OSCAR CRUZ GONZALES

101st Airborne Division

HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
Body was recovered

Panel 14W - Line 65

NEVER would this be out of place!!!! Damn,if we were not in Binh Dinh Province, OUR "Speedy" Gonzales was KIA on 474 that same day in 1970. My Division too! Oscar Gonzales, you are in fine Company. Be at Peace Brother.

EvilTwin.....did i incorrectly post the wrong Gonzales?

Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,985
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.