Home
Posted By: EvilTwin 41 years ago - 03/04/11
on a hill in Binh Dinh Province,RSVN, there was a battle. My platoon was on Hill 474 and heavily engaged with the NVA 22nd Regiment. They were all over the hill in a cave netwirk. One of our guys was KIA and we were VERY low on ammunition. A Shadow gunship came on station and fired in support of us. First burst came within 10' of our perimeter. A rather unorthodox method of warning off the guns was employed until radio contact was established. The gatlings fired and fired and fired thus anchoring our flank which the NVA was attempting to maneuver on. We survived the night and the fight. The gunner on that Shadow was our own FlyBoyFlem. Today these arrived
[Linked Image]

Cases fired from the Gatlings on that night. After 41 years, I have had that battle brought back alive and I am holding it in my hand. Woody's guns saved an American Platoon surrounded by an NVA Regiment that nite. I can't express how having these cases in my hand makes me feel. Thanks for saving our asses that night Woody!!! smile
Posted By: byc Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Might just be the best post ever!

Thanks for sharing!

David
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Outstanding! Honor to know you both!
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Sure glad you survived it Jim. You and Woody should be very proud of yourselves. Thank you both for you service.
Posted By: Ready Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Thank you for this post. Perspectives for a young guy.
Posted By: jnyork Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Outstanding story. Welcome Home for both of you.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Oh how very cool is that!!!! Amen to what's been said. Today at 1700 EST, I'll toast you guys with a Talisker single malt and a Carlos Torano "Exodus" in your honor! Cheers brother!
Jorge I will join you in that toast to our friends with a shot of Bulleit bourbon!
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
now that's cool.
Posted By: LIV2HUNT Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Some Top Notch stuff right there!!!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
EvilTwin;
Thank you so much for sharing this moment from both of your lives with us. We are all indeed richer for it.

When I get home tonight and the nightly chores are done, I'll raise a glass of the finest Kentucky product I have in the cupboard to both of you fine veterans - and to the rest of your comrades as well.

Thanks again, it's an honor to share the 'Fire with both of you gentlemen.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: slip_sinker Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Man, thanks much for this.
Posted By: RAS2 Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Wonderful story and I'm glad you shared it with us. I thank you both for your service and raise my glass in toast to you.

Posted By: STINGER Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
on a hill in Binh Dinh Province,RSVN, there was a battle. My platoon was on Hill 474 and heavily engaged with the NVA 22nd Regiment. They were all over the hill in a cave netwirk. One of our guys was KIA and we were VERY low on ammunition. A Shadow gunship came on station and fired in support of us. First burst came within 10' of our perimeter. A rather unorthodox method of warning off the guns was employed until radio contact was established. The gatlings fired and fired and fired thus anchoring our flank which the NVA was attempting to maneuver on. We survived the night and the fight. The gunner on that Shadow was our own FlyBoyFlem. Today these arrived
[Linked Image]

Cases fired from the Gatlings on that night. After 41 years, I have had that battle brought back alive and I am holding it in my hand. Woody's guns saved an American Platoon surrounded by an NVA Regiment that nite. I can't express how having these cases in my hand makes me feel. Thanks for saving our asses that night Woody!!! smile

Glad your still with us and have a Warm Fuzzy to remember with.

There was nothing more exciting than a TIC Mission for us gunners.

I was a Crewmember on Spookies, Shadows and Stingers. My wife told me if I went into the Spectre Program our marriage would be history. So using my head for once I flew my last Mission out of NKP. When the Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, speaks You listen.

Glad you got back safe and sound. Good luck in the future.

Best wishes, Bill

Posted By: antlers Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
That's way cool! Thanks for sharing it here. cool
Posted By: Jericho Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
A cold bottle of Dos Equis is being opened for you as
I type this.
Posted By: chapped_lips Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Doesn't seem that long ago,does it.......................

Quote......"A rather unorthodox method of warning off the guns was employed".......
betcha there's a dinky dau tale in that line of letters......red tracers up?

BRAVO ZULU ta both of ya and WELCOME HOME!
Posted By: Skeezix Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Wow! Awesome story. Many thanks to both of you for your service!!
Posted By: KC Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11

EvilTwin:

I wasn't on the gunship but I might have re-fueled it and re-armed it.

USMC '67-'71
DaNang & Chu Lai RSVN '70-'71

Glad you made it. Thanks for your service.

Semper Fi.

KC

Posted By: m_stevenson Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Best Damn Post Ever!

This is what really makes this place worth visiting.

EvilTwin, to you and FlyBoyFlem I salute you with a bottle of Lienenkugel's 1888 Bock.
Thanks for your service those 41 years ago. I know there was little thanks when you came back, and I'll say right now I'm sorry for the way many of you were greeted when you came home.
Posted By: 700LH Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Excellent excellent post
Posted By: Monkey_Joe Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
This is certainly one of the most interesting posts I've seen here.
How did you guys make the connection?

One thing for sure, those that post here in the woe-is-me mode need to think about this topic and the idea of a platoon surrounded by a regiment for a second. Then compare that to our trivial issues of today.

I'll lift one for both you guys shortly!
Posted By: northern_dave Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Jim, Flem.. makes the hair stand up on the back o me neck.

Extremely cool.

41 years huh, I'll hoist one in celebration.

Posted By: labsandelk Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
FlyBoyFlem and Evil Twin
A SALUTE TO BOTH OF YOU AND THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE
a cold one will be offered in your honor this evening
USAF 60-65
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
It just don't get any better Jim and I sure am glad you two are here with us these days my brothers.

WELCOME HOME
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Jim, Flem.. makes the hair stand up on the back o me neck.

Extremely cool.

41 years huh, I'll hoist one in celebration.

Amen!

Job well done men, Job well done cool cool
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
grinFlem(Woodie) left me a voicemail. I ain't so hot at aircraft recognition (I wuz a Grunt,not a AAA gunner). It was a SPOOKY ship,not a shadow. grin If you guys want to hear just what that "unorthodox method" was gimme a "show of hands" as it is extremely politically incorrect but for us Grunts it wuz all in the family.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Jorge I will join you in that toast to our friends with a shot of Bulleit bourbon!

And I as well! Bear
Posted By: northern_dave Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Rules of war:

Rule 1. There are no rules in war.

grin

Tell it if you feel comfortable ET.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Wow !

A little nip of Jim Beam Raised to the both of you incorigables.

"Unorthodox"?....C'mon Jim,....spill it .

GTC
Posted By: shreck Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Wow way cool, I think I'll louche up a drink in both of y'alls honour.
Two questions, how did y'all find out you were both there?

Tell us the unorthodox method.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
You sure you wanna hear this??? cry
Posted By: burner Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
grinFlem(Woodie) left me a voicemail. I ain't so hot at aircraft recognition (I wuz a Grunt,not a AAA gunner). It was a SPOOKY ship,not a shadow. grin If you guys want to hear just what that "unorthodox method" was gimme a "show of hands" as it is extremely politically incorrect but for us Grunts it wuz all in the family.

I'd like to know!
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Unless it involves gerbils and k-y jelly, sure. grin
Jim needs to spell this one out for you fellars as I'm also very interested as to how!! smirk

Yah,...sure !

GTC
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Thank you for your service EvilTwin and FlyBoyFlem.

Another raised hand to hear the "unorthodox method". grin
crazyOK,here goes. 474 wasn't a high hill,only 474 meters,but huge in mass. we were on the side facing the South China Sea (25klicks out) and there were 2 long finger ridges with a wide (350m) draw between them. The left hand ridge was lower in height but absolutely lousy with roky caves. We had moved from a combat assault on the summit with my Platoon on the south edge of said finger ridge. We go itno it HARD about halfway down. "Speedy" Gonzales the ag for the M60 got shot in the chest in a bowl in the middle of a bunch of caves. 4 of us, Greg Dodge,Tiny Johnson the Medic, Billy Sims an M79 grenadier and myself went in to get Speedy while Psg Escobar fought it out at 10'range with the gooks to cover us. We got him otu and the REAL fighting began. The NVA GREATLY outnumbered us and were maneuvering on our flank. NOBODY who has experience ever would allow the NVA to maneuver on them. We went low on ammo and called for help. The Spooky showed and began a fire run. The burst was actually within 10' of our perimeter.Tommy"Sunshine" Scanlon yelled out we're [bleep]!!! I yelled at Sims to jump on the rock and shuck and jive. He said I wuz outta my friggin mind. I said Billy, the NVA ain't drafted or enlisted any [bleep] lately so jump up and dance,even a dumbass Zoomie would recognize you!!! Sims yelled back that I wuz right, jumped up and danced and the Pilot pulled off until we could get actaul radio contact with him. It would never make it into any tactical manual but we were who we were. We came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970
CLASSIC
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Great story and I'll surely toast you gentlemen tonight.

What was the "unorthodox method"?
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Great story and I'll surely toast you gentlemen tonight.

What was the "unorthodox method"?

^^^read my above post^^^
Love it. If it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Thanks for sharing that personal history ET. Thanks to you and FlyBoyFlem both for your service. I always enjoy listening to war stories from Vets and find them inspirational. My father served in WWII in the Philippines and New Guinea in the 33rd division, U.S. Army. I too will raise a glass to you fine gentlemen this evening.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
VERY cool, Sir!

Thank you and FlyBoyFlem for your service and for sharing your story.

Ed
Posted By: fish head Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Absolutely fantastic thread.

All that participated are heros in my mind.

THANK YOU for your service to our country.

crazyOK,here goes. 474 wasn't a high hill,only 474 meters,but huge in mass. we were on the side facing the South China Sea (25klicks out) and there were 2 long finger ridges with a wide (350m) draw between them. The left hand ridge was lower in height but absolutely lousy with roky caves. We had moved from a combat assault on the summit with my Platoon on the south edge of said finger ridge. We go itno it HARD about halfway down. "Speedy" Gonzales the ag for the M60 got shot in the chest in a bowl in the middle of a bunch of caves. 4 of us, Greg Dodge,Tiny Johnson the Medic, Billy Sims an M79 grenadier and myself went in to get Speedy while Psg Escobar fought it out at 10'range with the gooks to cover us. We got him otu and the REAL fighting began. The NVA GREATLY outnumbered us and were maneuvering on our flank. NOBODY who has experience ever would allow the NVA to maneuver on them. We went low on ammo and called for help. The Spooky showed and began a fire run. The burst was actually within 10' of our perimeter.Tommy"Sunshine" Scoville yelled out we're [bleep]!!! I yelled at Sims to jump on the rock and shuck and jive. He said I wuz outta my friggin mind. I said Billy, the NVA ain't drafted or enlisted any [bleep] lately so jump up and dance,even a dumbass Zoomie would recognize you!!! Sims yelled back that I wuz right, jumped up and danced and the Pilot pulled off until we could get actaul radio contact with him. It would never make it into any tactical manual but we were who we were. We came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

Good job my friend.. what the rest of you guys that weren't in the chit need to understand is the "N" word was not at all derogatory in most cases!! wink and for me some of my black buds were also called that and they in turn affectionately had names for us white dudes grin ..sound crazy not at all for the times or the bond of brothers black or white!! 41 years seems like a life time but to Jim and me it was yesterday..I'm so very fortunate to have met him here on the "Fire" and above all call him my friend!! smile ... The "Dumbazz Zoomie"
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Jim, I'll be raising a glass of Elijah Craig to you and Woody tonight....

this is the coolest post ever!

Welcome home boys! laugh
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
ET----I was typing as you posted.....that was a great story and tff.

Posted By: kwg020 Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
I'm impressed!! Glad you two are home. kwg
Posted By: Mako25 Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Just an inspiring thread. A little pep-talk I recall from many years ago (although not 41 >grin<), that went "duty, honor, country", comes to mind. I can think of no better example.

It sure would be neat if you guys would one day meet, and share a meal, or a couple of drinks.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Or a BUNCH of drinks!! grin
Posted By: 5sdad Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Great story - thanks for sharing it and thanks to both of you and to all of the rest who served.
Or a BUNCH of drinks!!

I got a hunch if that's what they decided to do - that's the way it would be.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Outstanding story. The campfire is a neat place to hang out. Thanks for your service and to all vets here.
Posted By: BMT Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
God Bless you both. Thank you for your service.

BMT
Originally Posted by Mako25

It sure would be neat if you guys would one day meet, and share a meal, or a couple of drinks.

They will on a hunt hosted in Wyoming.....if I can talk them into it. whistle
Posted By: TJAY Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
Fantastic. Thank you both and all who have served and do serve.
They will on a hunt hosted in Wyoming.....if I can talk them into it.

Well done.
Posted By: wldthg Re: 41 years ago - 03/04/11
ET and FlyBoyFlem--- Thank you Brothers and Welcome Home . Web
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11

Well done.

That might be how their steaks are if they aren't nice to me....I know both these scoundrels....Jim will be pizzed but he is a gentleman! grin I don't want any accolades. I just have the utmost respect these 2 reprobates.

Posted By: 257James Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
An honor to read the story. Thank You for sharing, and God bless you both.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
good on ya Jim

and good on FlyboyFlem for making sure we have our very own resident Evil Twin!
Posted By: northern_dave Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
This calls for another beer! What an awesome post!!

Agreed to both!
Posted By: Scotty Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Glad you made it and that the two of you could connect with each other. Thanks for your service.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
How did you guys know to anchor the flank - or that it even was the flank ?
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11

OK, another beer it is! I might just get pickled reading this thread! smile

Mark
Posted By: shreck Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Mark

OK y'all talked me into it. Another beet tis.
Originally Posted by shreck

Mark

According to your typing pull over you have had enough! laugh
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Bless you, and thank you, both for what you did.

Flem, a special thank you to you for saving the bacon of a man that's become one of my best friends and and adoptive brother/uncle/granddad.

I can't repay you for that, but I can sure as Hell thank you, raise one in both of your honors, and respect what you did for each other and us.

And, ET, I didn't realize Greg was on that mission, too. Damn....
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by shreck

Mark

Accerding to your tieping pooll over you haven't had enough! laugh

Feexed it fer ya! I tink I'll have another!
Posted By: roundoak Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
EvilTwin and FlyboyFlem, I post here with reluctance and a heavy heart because I don't want to steal any part of your great story.

I salute to you from a 1968-1969 Quang Tri visitor.

Bless you both.

Wayne
Posted By: Rman Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Jim, Woody, et all, that is one hell of a story, and a lifelong connection over a handfull of shells is something else. Thanks for your service. Jim, I've said it before, and my offer still stands, if you get up here, the Mule Deer, and beer, is on me. The door is always open, for you and whatever crew you bring.

R.
A pair of outstanding men along with many others here......
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
How did you guys know to anchor the flank - or that it even was the flank ?

Our targeting was based on my things coming from the RO [Radio Operator]on the ground, puffing smoke,maps,shooting to a said landmark,muzzle flashes or compass heading..I must be perfectly honest much was a Hail Mary and hope you hit the Bad Guys..thank God it didn't happen but I always said a prayer before we opened up and asked GOD to please protect our guys from US..With our tremendous rate of fire we could have killed Jim and all concerned in the blink of an eye..we came very close that night and the hair stands up on my neck when Jim and I talk about it and what could have happened!!

I just want at this point to thank all you guys for your good wishes and comments,you'll never know what it means to me and I know Jim feels the same way.I've been here almost a year now and am very proud to call many of you Friend. smile Hope to get to know many more of you as time goes on!! At times we have different opinions and say some things we regret later but overall this place is SUPER and the best thing that's come my way in many moons..Thanks grin
'Tis I, who thanks you - for many things.
Posted By: 340boy Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
'Tis I, who thanks you - for many things.

+1000, Mako.

I am proud to have Flem and ET at the 'Fire.
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Great story and great to share this site with you guys. I'm going to tip one for you two tonight, also.
I missed you guys by just a little bit; I left II Corps in May of '69.
Posted By: AKBoater Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
ET and FlyBoyFlem,

While it's easy to talk light heartedly about your experiences, the gravity of both of your sacrifices is not lost. The task of trying to comprehend a situation like ET described leaves me with chills. I can't express my gratitude enough for what you two, and all our Vets, went through. Thanks for willingly sharing this with us here. I'm glad you made it home. Thanks again.
Posted By: chapped_lips Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Gentlemen, there's only one beer to celebrate this occasion and that beer is......

BA MUOI BA 33

i'm on my droid fon and can't post a pic of #33......any help out there?
Posted By: wldthg Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
[Linked Image] This Buds For you. ----- Web
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
[Linked Image] [img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzkf-0JOAZJ_JLIxz6ocUl8FkhFVjYA7U-vSbAz_yJRtlC8z_MsQ[/img]
Posted By: rifle Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
cold one on me...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: achadwick Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Yup, outstanding post!
Originally Posted by wldthg
[Linked Image] This Buds For you. ----- Web

Jim this one in your HONOR my friend...I'm on #4 crazy The "Dumbazz Zoomie"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
great stories gentlemen, and Thank You for your service!
Posted By: DocRocket Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
ET, FlyboyFlem, you guys made my day. Hell, you made my week. I'd raise a glass to toast ya both but I'm working tonight and I don't think my patients would appreciate it...

Flem, I gotta thank you for saving ET's ornery butt that night so's I could be part of his historic buffler hunt last December.

And yes, this might be the coolest thread every here on the 'Fire!
Feelin a bit loose so you guys can see where those empties came from..Could never keep paint around the gun ports, can't imagine why??

[Linked Image]
Posted By: byc Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Heck of a thread. I mean +INFINITY!!!
Posted By: LBP Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Thanks Guys for your service and the war story...
Posted By: gophergunner Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Gentlemen, I find my self in rarified air here. It's an honor to read this thread, and no matter how many time I thank all our vets for their selfless sacrifices, I feel like my efforts will never do justice to the bravery, ingenuity, adaptability, and sheer determination shown by all our fighting men and women. I take great pride in knowing these fine folks, even if only from a distance. I've talked to Woody-just recently, and found that we share a joy for ugly airplanes that wreaked havoc with our foes. There's something sexy about Woody's bird-what with all those mini-guns spewing Lead Death at the NVA troops. My favorite "ugly birds" were the P-47 and the A-10 Warthog, but this is about Woody and E.T. Thanks so much for sharing your gut-wrenching story and it's aftermath with a grateful bunch of guys here at the 'Fire.

A belated Welcome Home, boys.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Thank you both for your service. A great story, dammit the screen seems to be getting blurry and I am getting a lump in my throat. Steve
Posted By: Otter Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Woody, that guy in the photo even looks like ya ! ! ! Knew from the minute we met last November you were a good guy, just didn't know ya was a hero. But anybody that ever put on a uniform in service of the US of A is a hero in my book. Thanks for saving the guys that day/night. Made the way for ET to get to the Campfire, too. Haven't had the pleasure of meeting Jim . . . yet. But I'm hopeful the day comes sooner than later. I do feel like we have some common ground with our affinity for the BPCR guns, other stuff, too. THANK YOU BOTH for posting this insight into a part of your history (and ours) that most of the folks I know who were over there don't or won't talk about.

In January of 1970, I was in my last semester of high school and was still very naive about what was going on in SE Asia. Though I didn't go over there, I was brought up to have nothing but respect for those who were.

At least I now know why we ALL "better be afraid of a ghost".
Posted By: Nebraska Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
crazyWe came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

One too many but from me and my family - THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for your service and sacrifice. We're here as a result of you two and all the other brave soldiers like yourselves.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Originally Posted by byc

Thanks for sharing!

David

AMEN TO THAT!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Jim, Woody.....

I'm gonna go pour my Elijah Craig now...

And enjoy my freedom....
Posted By: Nebraska Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Feelin a bit loose so you guys can see where those empties came from..Could never keep paint around the gun ports, can't imagine why??

[Linked Image]

Great pic Woody.....
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
I'm at a lost for words! MANY MANY THANKS! You guys never got the respect you deserved!
Posted By: TLB2 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Great thread..Thanks for your service!
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Best thread ever. Glad you guys made it home.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Great thread.....ET, just imagine if they made those Gatling guns in .45-110 wink
Posted By: nathanial Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Nice to have you both around, great story.
Posted By: Pugs Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
The gunner on that Shadow was our own FlyBoyFlem. Today these arrived. I can't express how having these cases in my hand makes me feel. Thanks for saving our asses that night Woody!!! smile

Band of brothers my friend.
Posted By: Dobetown Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
I am glad you made it. I was a door gunner on the first mini gun Huey the 4th Div got. I can still hear the roar. No sound like except for maybe a chain gun on a Warthog.
When I can find some Beie 33 I will raise a glass. I have fired a 45/70 Gatling, big fun.
D1 1/10 4th Inf 66-67
Posted By: STINGER Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Great thread.....ET, just imagine if they made those Gatling guns in .45-110 wink

Steve

45-70 is nice, but on the Gunships and other fighters we have Gatlings that spew 20 and 30 MM at 4>6K per minute and have High Explosive Incendiary and Armor piercing Heads. There is nothing prettier than watching a 20mm Vulcan do it's thing.

Lots of NVA truck drivers retired on account of them.

Best wishes, Bill
Posted By: Adkstalker Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Thank you ET and Flyboyflem for your service. Next time I'm in town Jim, Mike's is on me.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Great thread!

Hats off to you guys!

Great old pics too.

Mike
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
grinThanks to all of you guys. The repayment however has been made (for me anyways) in the gracious manner that our little Brothers now get when they come home from War. Figuring out what the connect with Woody was came as a result of him mentioning Phu Cat AB and his assignment and time. He said (as have a few other plane and chopper boys) that a really harsh ground battle viewed from the air is like looking into Hell through the front gate. Pretty accurate description but the missing pieces were the sound and the stench. Those just defy description. You have to understand just how close we actually worked Woody's gunship in ONCE WE HAD RADIO CONTACT. Luke da Gook was really really close. He did that so we couldn't use artillery or rockets on him. We lived in the world of "DANGER CLOSE". Guys like Woody had big balls because the gooks had some impressive superheavy AA machineguns and would pop RPG's at a ship. Cobras had the same risks as they came in even closer on demand. The door to history got opened today by those cases and letting you guys know what an Infantrymans world was like seemed timely Thanks again all yo (now) drunks!!!! grin
Posted By: wldthg Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
-- music to go along with the times.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Great post and story. Hats off to you guys. My father who was in the Air Force and loaded bombs on planes always had great respect for those who actually fought. If he was still with us and it was back in his drinking days he would raise a toast to you all. Thanks for giving me a good story on one of the crappier nights ive had in a while.
My tanks also, oops that's thanks Haven't indulged this muuch for somw time but well worth it.I KNOW there are many more of you out there who have been through it and I know who many of you are..my last one of the evening goes out to YOU guys and I THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !! Have a great evening,God Bless...Woody
Posted By: lhonda Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
perimeter.Tommy"Sunshine" Scanlon yelled out we're [bleep]!!! I yelled at Sims to jump on the rock and shuck and jive. He said I wuz outta my friggin mind. I said Billy, the NVA ain't drafted or enlisted any [bleep] lately so jump up and dance,even a dumbass Zoomie would recognize you!!! Sims yelled back that I wuz right, jumped up and danced and the Pilot pulled off until we could get actaul radio contact with him. It would never make it into any tactical manual but we were who we were. We came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

First, incredible. Second, I'm very humbled. Third, classic 'you can't make this kind of shyt up' tale. Fourth, reminds me of a clearly bigoted, and in very poor taste, joke I heard as a kid: 'Do you know why more blacks were killed in Vietnam that Latinos, whites or other races? Because when a firefight kicked off, the leader of the unit would often scream, "GET DOWN!" While everyone else dove for cover, the brothers would jump up and start to boogie down and dance..."

Stream of consciousness. Apologies for sharing. wink

Agree with others that this thread is right up there with the very best. Thanks for sharing, Jim and FBF. All Americans stand a little taller simply by virtue of being able to call you, and all others that have served our nation, our countrymen.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
I've gotten in the habit of not opening most threads that grow as quickly as this one for obvious reason. I'm glad I made an exception this evening.

Great story and I'm glad it turned out okay for you guys. Thanks for serving and sharing.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
[quote=EvilTwin] crazyWe came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

We've all hoisted a few in recognition tonite but.........
EvilTwin, if i may.........

OSCAR CRUZ GONZALES

CPL - E4 - Army - Selective Service

101st Airborne Division

Length of service 0 years
His tour began on Nov 11, 1969
Casualty was on Jan 25, 1970
In QUANG NGAI, SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
Body was recovered

Panel 14W - Line 65

Rest In Peace,our brother

"He which hath no stomach, to this fight, let him depart. But we in it, shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers!! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother.� Rest in peace brave soldier, you have not been forgotten. (W.Shakespeare)

May God Bless you, for your Sacrifice.

Posted By: Mac84 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Wow ET! I'm speechless. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
ET,FBF
I'll lift a glass to you and your comrades when I get home.
Regards,
RGRX
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Woody, thank you for saving my friend's life.
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
[quote=EvilTwin] crazyWe came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

OSCAR CRUZ GONZALES

101st Airborne Division

HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
Body was recovered

Panel 14W - Line 65

"He which hath no stomach, to this fight, let him depart. But we in it, shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers!! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother.� Rest in peace brave soldier, you have not been forgotten. (W.Shakespeare)

NEVER would this be out of place!!!! Damn,if we were not in Binh Dinh Province, OUR "Speedy" Gonzales was KIA on 474 that same day in 1970. My Division too! Oscar Gonzales, you are in fine Company. Be at Peace Brother.
Posted By: sactoller Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Wow!

Glad you two, fine men made it home safe!

I will lift a glass tonight, for you and all our service men.

OSCAR CRUZ GONZALES

101st Airborne Division

HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
Body was recovered

Panel 14W - Line 65

NEVER would this be out of place!!!! Damn,if we were not in Binh Dinh Province, OUR "Speedy" Gonzales was KIA on 474 that same day in 1970. My Division too! Oscar Gonzales, you are in fine Company. Be at Peace Brother.

EvilTwin.....did i incorrectly post the wrong Gonzales?
Posted By: duckcall Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Threads like this are why I like this site. Thank you guys for your service and welcome home (better late than never). I will raise a glass of Crown Royal to you after work tonight.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
I am just finding this thread Saturday morning. Wow. First thank you so much for your sacrifice and service. Secondly thank you so much for sharing this awesome story. Things like this are what make the campfire great!
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Thanks to BOTH of you for your service!

Am very glad you guys made it back and can be here to tell your heart felt story!

Am reading this in the A.M. but will hoist one to you guys tonight! (maybe 2 or 3!)

Virgil B.
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Great story both of you. Hand salute from a guy who never made it out of CONUS and was out just before Viet Nam got hot.

BCR
EvilTwin.....this is YOUR Gonzales.....maybe you only knew him as "Speedy".....
from the Vietnam War Memorial website.

Oscar Cruz Gonzales was born October 31, 1948 and his home of record was Elsa, Texas. He had attended Edcouch-Elsa High School. In Vietnam, he served with the 3rd Battalion, 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Divsion (Screaming Eagles). He was killed in the Battle of Hill 474 on January 25, 1970. He had been in Vietnam two months and was 21 years old at the time of his death. He was survived by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Jorge G. Gonzalez his sisters: Olga, Felcipas, Olivia, Rita and Elizabeth and brothers: Jorge, Luis, Benigno and Victor. A funeral mass was said at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Elsa and he was buried in Highland Memorial Park in Weslaco, Texas. God rest your soul, Currahee. If any of his family and friends come to this site, please contact me. Thank You.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
what a great thread. its an honor to share the Fire with these guys.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Jim, thats awesome, glad fer the folks like Woody that helped ya out, zoomies are good for something. Very COOL!
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Just the real word my friend, just the real world.

Oscar Cruz Gonzales was born October 31, 1948 and his home of record was Elsa, Texas. He had attended Edcouch-Elsa High School. In Vietnam, he served with the 3rd Battalion, 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Divsion (Screaming Eagles). He was killed in the Battle of Hill 474 on January 25, 1970. He had been in Vietnam two months and was 21 years old at the time of his death. He was survived by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Jorge G. Gonzalez his sisters: Olga, Felcipas, Olivia, Rita and Elizabeth and brothers: Jorge, Luis, Benigno and Victor. A funeral mass was said at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Elsa and he was buried in Highland Memorial Park in Weslaco, Texas. God rest your soul, Currahee. If any of his family and friends come to this site, please contact me. Thank You.

Yeah, it is Speedy. But we were in Binh Dinh Province not Quang Nai and THAT is what threw me.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
A GREAT story, thanks to Both for serveing! God Bless the USA.
Posted By: Powerguy Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
[Linked Image]

Agreed, one of the best post ever. Thank you for all you have done Sir
Read some of this to my wife last night... especially the firefight, the background, and the unorthodox method of calling off fire.

ET, she says she owes you another hug. And, thanks for the laugh.

Woody, she says "thank you".
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
This thread continues to be incredibly inspiring, I hope it keeps going for a while and maybe illicit some more combat stories from our members.

I will point out one thing that whilst not surprising, it is still telling nevertheless; The absence of comments from the usual suspects that fail to realize it was (and is) men like these that meake them free. jorge
Posted By: tomk Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Gents--that was an awesome read--hat off to ya.
Posted By: highwayman Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
It definately is inspiring ... even to we Canadians who also benefit from the sacrifice of men like ET, FBF and 'SPEEDY' as well as all you vets here on the 'fire.
Thank you all for your service.

My experience at that time in history was much different as I was going to university in Alberta listening to draft-dodging liberal American profs spouting their vitriol against the US poisoning a generation of our youth by their ranting and railing. It was disgusting. Glad I was old enough to not be sucked in by their brainwashing.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Let's drink to the stout hearted men,
Let's drink to the salt of the earth....
Originally Posted by highwayman
It definately is inspiring ... even to we Canadians who also benefit from the sacrifice of men like ET, FBF and 'SPEEDY' as well as all you vets here on the 'fire.
Thank you all for your service.

My experience at that time in history was much different as I was going to university in Alberta listening to draft-dodging liberal American profs spouting their vitriol against the US poisoning a generation of our youth by their ranting and railing. It was disgusting. Glad I was old enough to not be sucked in by their brainwashing.

Hell, sounds like BCBrian now... not much has changed, I guess.
Posted By: arctic338 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Fantastic post.

Welcome home brothers.
Posted By: Beargrease Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
ET and FBF, great story of valor, tragedy and humor. Much thanks to you both for your service to your country. I was in college at the time with 1-A draft status and draft number 283. If called I would have went. Those were turbulent times in the country for sure.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the head stamp on the 7.62? If TW, it was made at the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant. I know they made a lot of ammo for the Vietnam War.
Posted By: gotlost Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Don't know of any words that could make this post better!
BG just got in for a lunch break and saw your inquiry about headstamp..LC..Lake City Ammunition Plant...Lake City Mo.
^
Thanks for the email Woody! Very good!
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: 41 years ago - 03/05/11
Golly.

All can say to you both is thank you. I too am raising a glass.

Jim - If you are ever traveling across RT. 17, give a shout. The drinks will be on me.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 41 years ago - 03/06/11
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: 41 years ago - 03/06/11
Thanks to ET and Flem, that's very cool that you were able to connect here.

Glad no fratricide happened that day.

Back in March 2003 I was with 2d Marine Expeditionary Brigade in An Nasiriyah, Iraq. Bad comm, units not reporting accurate positions, confusion and fog of war. A-10s ended up rolling in on our amtracs, and making runs with 30mm gatling guns. Ugly, and tragic loss of good Marines.

On the flipside, an AC-130 worked it's magic on a nighttime counterattack by the Iraqi's. What a rain of destruction.
Posted By: Thumper358 Re: 41 years ago - 03/06/11
ET & FbF,

Somehow just thanking you for your service seems inadequate for me. I served during that period, but was never assigned to RSVN. I never had to feel what you experienced, and I am grateful for that, but I will never forget what you did there and those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

God bless you

Art
Posted By: W7ACT Re: 41 years ago - 03/06/11
This from old sailor who never saw Vietnam but did serve during that era. My hats off to all of you who did go over there and serve, for that reason I'll never wear any Vietnam Era paraphernalia out of respect for those who did serve in country or in that theater of operation.

God speed to all those who served there. Those who made it home alive, Those that did not make it home alive and Those that are still over there Missing in Action. I salute you all.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 03/06/11
I have done one more thing. Thanks to Chapped Lip I went to a Vietnam Memorial Website and found his name and posted a message. That I served in Co.C 3/506th Infantry with Speedy and was one of the Men who carried him out when he was shot and that we guarded his body all night. He was a good dude and as Brave as a Man should be and that I was honored to be able to make the post for him for all to see. Currahee Brother!
Posted By: HawkI Re: 41 years ago - 03/06/11
How the hell I missed this?!

Am thankful, proud and happy to have fellas like you around.

Very neat story, almost like the one Rocky Raab has!
Posted By: Scott F Re: 41 years ago - 03/06/11
Some day I am going to visit the wall. 34% of the guys I graduated high school with have their names on that wall.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
I have done one more thing. Thanks to Chapped Lip I went to a Vietnam Memorial Website and found his name and posted a message. That I served in Co.C 3/506th Infantry with Speedy and was one of the Men who carried him out when he was shot and that we guarded his body all night. He was a good dude and as Brave as a Man should be and that I was honored to be able to make the post for him for all to see. Currahee Brother!

Jim, I know this is a personal thing for you but I would love to know (I'm sure others would too)if any of Speedy's family contacts you. I'm not asking for details, just to know if contact is made. Of course this is completely up to you.

Bob
Posted By: jpb Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
Originally Posted by Scott F
Some day I am going to visit the wall. 34% of the guys I graduated high school with have their names on that wall.

Scott,

Man, that is sad. 34% is a lot.

Glad that you and Woody made it though.

John
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
I guess it all depends on how many guys were in his graduating class. Although 1% would be too many.
Posted By: btb375 Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
Thank you for posting the story.
I'm sure those casings will occupy a special place in your heart and home.

Thakss to all vets past and present.

Posted By: RoninPhx Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
Originally Posted by jpb

Scott,

Man, that is sad. 34% is a lot.

Glad that you and Woody made it though.

John

Not so much if you were from a small town. During that period and i am of that age i lived in prescott arizona. At the time maybe 3500people. In 65, the drums of war were beating, and we had been raised on john wayne. That summer was truely american graffitti. And then the notices started coming and off to someplace nobody had ever heard of. And about a year later the boxes started coming home. I did eventually go to the wall, and i don't think i have it in me to do it again, it is very hard. Today there is a statue on the square in prescott to those fallen in vietnam, with all the names. They are not names to me, as i knew most of them. Before a fence was built around it, kids would climb all over it, which aggravated me to distraction. Until i remembered as a child climbing all over another statue on the plaza of bucky O'Neil, that one for the charge up san juan hill in another foreign engagement. Kids are kids.
I have asked young people in their 20's if they knew where vietnam was, and did just recently. Most of have heard the name, but can't really describe it.
Maybe this is good, probably it is not. We are I think doomed to repeat history because of this.
But I do remember the drag races in 65 at the edge of town, I remember the dairy queen where we would gather, and the hill behind it where people went to "get a little" and I remember well the names on that monument where they will remain forever young.
as i read this thread, i see in my mind my cousin, one of the names on that statue, who died there in vietnam, drowned while loaded down with ammo in the delta area when a swift boat captzized. And the marker in the v.a. cemetary in prescott.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
RoninPhx;

Yeah... small towns are where those scars are the deepest.

My mother lives in the house that her older sister's then-fiance' was born and raised in. He went, and never came back. Those stories are far too prevalent in little towns.

Of course, that's always been the case. Try going to Bedford, Virginia, and finding a WWII vet that was born and raise there. you can't, because they lost almost all of them on D-Day.

I can take you places in Virginia that USED to be towns, and are now just long-forgotten graveyards, as those boys didn't come marching home from The Wilderness, Gettysburg, Manassas...

I guess it's easy to forget if you live in a huge city, with huge numbers of nameless faces. But, when you in, and from, a small town, there are no faces without names... and when those faces vanish, you know them and you know their families.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
The sadness for guys like ScottF and RoninPhx is harsh. All of you thank your Lucky Stars that you weren't there to SEE it happen. You really,really DO NOT want to see what the response from a Man's comrades is. It is ugly beyond words. Response to a request,yes,if any of Speedy's family or friends responds I will post it here. I am actually shaking over that because after 41 years a man who was there with their son/brother/cousin/best friend has come forward. I Pray I have caused no great pain. I hope they get some solace that Speedy was not alone and we stood by him to the end. I hope you guys say a little prayer for them.Their relative /friend died. A War Brother to me,a Son or brother or best friend for them. Say a little prayer.

http://thewall-usa.com/guest.asp?recid=19102

Posts on the site
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
Got a really cool PM from Flyboy Flem this morning....
just sayin'.....
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
Very not turdlike...
Posted By: patbrennan Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
Some pretty humbling posts on this thread. Growing up in Canada during that time I was pretty insulated from the reality of SE Asia.My heartfelt thanks to those that served, and are serving to protect all of us.
Something in my eyes, must be hay fever!
Posted By: isaac Re: 41 years ago - 03/07/11
Just finished reading this....twice.

Superb thread.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
Damn.......

I don't know how I missed this one over the last few days but thanks for the voicemail Jim.

I'll give you a call tomorrow from my detail.

Damn.......

Posted By: chapped_lips Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11

Curious,Scott,.......what high school did you attend?
Quote......". I hope they get some solace that Speedy was not alone and we stood by him to the end."

Exactly that. That is what family and friends need/want to know.
And he is not forgotten.

Jim,you may not hear from his immediate family but maybe a neice or nephew,or a son or daughter,or a grandchild......i can speak from experience. They crave to know....it's a yearning deep from within.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
cl, the thought of such a contact leaves me shaking. However, I would not have made the post if I wasn't ready to address them. Odd isn't it? We fought our way in to get him,then fought our way out with him,Ak's,M-16's and frags going off all around and we did it without hesitation or even noticeable fear, but the thought of addressing one of Speedy's family members after 41 years leaves me shaking in my boots.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend...
Posted By: rost495 Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
I didn't catch this post earlier..... Will lift a toast tonight.

Thanks to ALL who served, to those that came home one way or another, and those that did not come home yet...

I cannot offer anything but sincere thanks and gratitude. And to express the proud feelings I have for my fellow American citizens.

Jeff
My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend...

Thanks Woody.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
It's guys like you and my late brother in law that caused me to join 23 years ago. It's guys like you that trained me so well that I survived and passed on the lessons learned to the young men(and now, women) in my units. You continue to inspire the best of us and the best in us. Words cannot capture what you have gone through but Thank You so much for your service. God Bless the America that you defended. Please keep posting and never forget.
Thanks Ranger and Welcome to the 'Fire. We ain't always this nice to each other so hang on and enjoy this lunatic asyulum.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
It's guys like you and my late brother in law that caused me to join 23 years ago. It's guys like you that trained me so well that I survived and passed on the lessons learned to the young men(and now, women) in my units. You continue to inspire the best of us and the best in us. Words cannot capture what you have gone through but Thank You so much for your service. God Bless the America that you defended. Please keep posting and never forget.

Welcome to the Campfire Ranger_Green!
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
Being of the generation of the 60's, I like many, carry that time internally. I remarked to a friend of mine that walks with a fuzed leg, shrapnel wounds, that i don't think it will ever end until we are all dead and a footnote in history. It effected everyone, nomatter if they went to s.e. asia, were in combat, or not. It shaped our collective thinking with which we live today. My friend with the leg now gets a disability which took a lot of work and years to get.
When the movie came out about the wounded vet in the wheelchair and his experiences, i just had to look at a guy i knew in my small town that had got a machine gun burst turning him into a wheelchair guy. Or another high school friend of mine that had the same thing happen, and at age 19 was going to wear a poop bag the rest of his life. Years later had somebody ask if i knew this guy, cause he always seemed bitter, not knowing of his early history. I said you need to give him some understanding because he has a right to be the way he is. As i type this i remember my friend drunk as a skunk in a cathouse in mexico in 1969 after he got back. And that bag. He was never after able to really keep any relationships.
I don't mean to take away from the main point of this thread, which i linked to just about everybody i know. But it did bring up all thoses faces again, which those of us still alive will not forget. Not all are on the wall either. One guy i knew, named Monte, spend the next year or two after he got back walking around the streets of prescott, wouldn't talk to anybody. Until one day he stuck a gun barrel up his nose.
All casualities in their own way. Or another friend that in 1968 happened to walk with his company into a n.v.a. divisional headquarters. Layed for a couple of hours bleeding out until he woke up on okinawa. A couple ofyears ago he called me and asked me if i though he had post trumatic stress. The V.A. after all those years said they thought he had it. My answer was how could he NOT have it, and it took them all those years to state it?
It goes on.
Posted By: GeoW Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
Originally Posted by jorgeI
This thread continues to be incredibly inspiring, I hope it keeps going for a while and maybe illicit some more combat stories from our members.

I will point out one thing that whilst not surprising, it is still telling nevertheless; The absence of comments from the usual suspects that fail to realize it was (and is) men like these that meake them free. jorge

Amen! Thanks Jim and Woody.
Posted By: g5m Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
All of us who lived through those years got shaped by them, one way or another. I kind of wonder sometimes if there will even be a footnote.

I was talking to a friend a while back and sharing military stories. He doesn't think about it much, now. But he did have a photo of a general shaking his hand in some hospital. He was being awarded a Silver Star.

He said he didn't do anything to deserve it, he was just trying to help a wounded buddy.
cl, the thought of such a contact leaves me shaking. However, I would not have made the post if I wasn't ready to address them. Odd isn't it? We fought our way in to get him,then fought our way out with him,Ak's,M-16's and frags going off all around and we did it without hesitation or even noticeable fear, but the thought of addressing one of Speedy's family members after 41 years leaves me shaking in my boots.

Jim,just recall your first time moving out ( and probably your last time as well).....it's the power of the unknown.....for myself it was an inner release of guilt that i had come home and lived and their's had only returned home.....i then felt the stress of what you're going thru currently.
Thankfully i was contacted almost immediately (i accidently posted near his birthdate). All i can tell ya now is that you have done a good thing and not to freak out worrying over a response. It may never come. That's why i do what i expressed in our privy msgs.....a tad dinky dau but hey.........
The family will recognize your intent.......and appreciate it.
Posted By: GeoW Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11

Not to worry Jim. The same One will be with you today that was with you in 1970!

GeoW
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
I have to jump in at this point to say a few words.I never in my wildest dream would have envisioned the response to this thread or the impact that holding those cases has had on my Buddy!! I remember the afternoon I finally found them in my box of memories and thought I better get them sent..figured he would like to have them but not knowing he would post this thread and the wonderful response from all of you..My emotions are mixed,remembering the details of that night was a no brainer I realize we may have saved some lives but leaving those guys and returning to a warm bed,good chow and relative safety has haunted me for many years.

The ground war was a horrible thing and I got to see a bird's eye view of what our grunts were going through day after day..hot LZ's.. Medevac choppers airlifting guys out to aid stations..Jolly Greens assisting downed pilots and brave guys like our own RockyRaab flyin a Cessna where one should never be flown!! Rocky I salute you Sir for your bravery and thank you for your service!!

Ever since Jim and I hooked up and realized that our paths had crossed those many years ago I knew I had stashed away spent cases from that very eventful night.We arrived on station at dusk and coming into the mountains and seeing the muzzle flashes just knew the chit was hittin the fan below and that we had to take immediate action or people would die.Setting up a gun run, and I'll borrow Jim's quote of "Danger Close" here on a friendly position is not SOP or anything you're trained for!!!

Last night my daughter and grandson stopped in briefly and she wanted to use the PC and noticed I had a post minimized.She opened it up and started to read, then she said dad what's this all about so I briefed her on Jim's thread and in a minute or two tears came to her eyes and said "How in the world could you not have ever mentioned this to us kids?" I think a bunch of you understand.... Well,Im ending this here as it's getting somewhat hard to continue for me but again want to thank my pard Jim and all who have wished us well...God bless and never forget those who have given the ultimate sacrifice...Woody
Posted By: Karnis Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.
Jesus Christ is the true salvation; Jesus Christ governs,
Reigns, defeats and conquers every enemy, visible or invisible;

Jesus, be with me at all times, forever and ever,
Upon all roads and ways, upon the water and the land,
On the mountain and in the valley, in the house and in the yard,

In the whole world wherever I am, stand, run, ride, or drive;
Whether I sleep or wake, eat or drink,
There be thou also, Lord Jesus Christ, at all times, late and early,
Every hour, every moment; and in all my goings in or out.

Your five holy red wounds, oh Lord Jesus Christ, may they
Guard me against all firearms, be they secret or public,
That they cannot injure me or do me any harm whatever,
In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

May Jesus Christ, with his guardianship and protection,
Shield me, always from daily commission of sins,
Worldly injuries and injustice, from contempt, from pestilence
And other diseases, from fear, torture, and great suffering,
From all evil intentions, from false tongues and the words of fools;
And that no kind of firearms can inflict any injury to my body,
do thou take care of me.

And that no band of thieves, murderers, or evil spirits
Secretly enter my house or premises, nor break in; may the dear
Virgin Mary, and all children who are in heaven with God,
In eternal joys, protect and guard me against them;
And the glory of God the Father shall strengthen me,
The wisdom of God the Son shall enlighten me,
And the grace of God the Holy Ghost shall empower me
From this hour unto all eternity.

Amen!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
No words Woody....

I was wrong....I need to edit....

There are words for what you and Jim and hundreds of thousands of other guys have done...

There are sooo many of us that are sooo thankful and proud of what you boys have done, and in the same vein, we realize what the downsides were...

And we too are hesitant to talk much about it, because it brings tears to our eyes as well....
Posted By: heavywalker Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
Pretty much my thoughts as well Poobah.....
Posted By: milespatton Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11

Although most of the boys in my Senior class and the ones both sides of me went to Vietnam, I only know of one that was killed over there. A lot were injured but it seems as a whole we were lucky. miles
Posted By: tzone Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
Just read this for the first time today. It gave me goosebumps.
Posted By: rrroae Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
Originally Posted by tzone
Just read this for the first time today. It gave me goosebumps.

A big plus 1.

Left me a little shakin by the reality of it.
Posted By: tzone Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
Well, I didn't plan on doin' no drinking tonight, but I'm going to raise a few to Flyboyflem and ET tonight.

Thank you gentelmen for this tread, it's the best in a long, long, time.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: 41 years ago - 03/08/11
In my heart, I am giving you guys the confetti and ticker tape parade that is sadly so long over due. Thanks is inadequate but along with my deepest respect it is what I have to offer. Godspeed and may you find the peace you so richly deserve.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11
Woody.....dang puter screen is out of focus............ I am 53 and my Dad got out of Vietnam in 1968. He served 2 tours in Korean War, the first as infantry and the second as air defense, then Vietnam....he never talked about it.
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11
I have no words--only thanks and respect.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11
Morning bump for the best thread I've ever seen on the 'fire...
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11
One thing I want to make sure the guys here kow is that the Battle for Hill 474 lasted for 20 days and cost us pretty hard. At that time the 3/506th had 550+ line Grunts and the battle killed or wounded over 100. The 8th and 9th battalions of the NVA 22d Regiment were annihilated.The 7th (so I wuz told) got hit by an Arc Light and evaporated in the An Lao Valley. About 10 days after the incident that Woody attended, my entire company was surrounded for a day,a night and a day. This time however we not only expected it,we were ready for it. That one cost the NVA dearly while we got away with only a few minor wounds. I really wanted for guys here to get a birdseye of just how intense and savage a brawl these hill battles were and just how stone hard US Soldiers really were in the face of an enemy that was of such very high quality as fighting men. With the Regiment we faced,it was a no quarter given,no quarter asked affair. Wrap your minds around that. Absolutely nothing the outside world thought,said or believed made any difference to us. It was just us and the NVA. Grunt against Grunt. To this day, if any Man from the 3/506th at the battle showed at my door, he has a meal and a bed to slepp in. TO THIS DAY,IF AN NVA SURVIVOR of the battle showde at my door,HE WOULD GET THE VERY SAME TREATMENT!!! Do you guys understand that???
Posted By: Longbob Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11
Yeah, but would you get any sleep? grin

Without question you are an honorable man and I understand where you are coming from due to the tremendous respect you would have for them as fighting men. My hat is off to you (if I wore a hat) and Flyboyflem. This is a fantastic thread.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11
One thing I want to make sure the guys here kow is that the Battle for Hill 474 lasted for 20 days and cost us pretty hard. At that time the 3/506th had 550+ line Grunts and the battle killed or wounded over 100. The 8th and 9th battalions of the NVA 22d Regiment were annihilated.The 7th (so I wuz told) got hit by an Arc Light and evaporated in the An Lao Valley. About 10 days after the incident that Woody attended, my entire company was surrounded for a day,a night and a day. This time however we not only expected it,we were ready for it. That one cost the NVA dearly while we got away with only a few minor wounds. I really wanted for guys here to get a birdseye of just how intense and savage a brawl these hill battles were and just how stone hard US Soldiers really were in the face of an enemy that was of such very high quality as fighting men. With the Regiment we faced,it was a no quarter given,no quarter asked affair. Wrap your minds around that. Absolutely nothing the outside world thought,said or believed made any difference to us. It was just us and the NVA. Grunt against Grunt. To this day, if any Man from the 3/506th at the battle showed at my door, he has a meal and a bed to slepp in. TO THIS DAY,IF AN NVA SURVIVOR of the battle showde at my door,HE WOULD GET THE VERY SAME TREATMENT!!! Do you guys understand that???

I totally understand this, due to talking enough to a good friend and my Alaskan adopted Father. I not only understand what you are saying, and have said, but to further it, I expected NOTHING less either.
Hope that makes sense, regards, Jeff
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11

Yep! I understand that completely.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11

You are a good man Jim. Glad you're here.
Posted By: g5m Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11

Yes.
Posted By: chapped_lips Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11
TO THIS DAY,IF AN NVA SURVIVOR of the battle showde at my door,HE WOULD GET THE VERY SAME TREATMENT!!! Do you guys understand that???

Yep.....a very worthy foe. Can't take anything away from them.....they were just following orders as we were. As with any fighting man.....you protect the man on either side of you and trust the man at your six.

As worthy a foe as any before our generation and after.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11

I understand perfectly.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 03/09/11

Absolutely understood as only a warrior can Sir.

I attended the battle of the Ia Drang valley and LZ X-Ray that they wrote the book about. Maybe someday you and I can sit down and I will tell you what all I did in just a few days.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 03/10/11
Bump for an outstanding thread!
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 03/11/11
again...
Posted By: lhonda Re: 41 years ago - 03/11/11

I never served in any branch of the US AFs, but in spirit, I absolutely 100% understand. I am NOT in any way equating bad-blood borne, petty inner city street rivalries that often morphed into violent brawls with retribution to armed conflict on behalf of one's nation, but the guttural respect for your enemy I understand. I'm not talking about slapfights, but confrontations where combatants at times could very well be fighting for their lives. While they often couldn't agree on the color of the sky, warriors respect warriors.

I have read about this very thing in memoirs from feudal Japan to modern day conflict. I guess though, that sometimes a line is drawn. I couldn't bring myself to have a shred of respect for, say, a terrorist perpetrating an act like those we all witnessed on 9/11. Even though some might argue that even those vermin were 'fighting' for a cause, it had nothing to do with honor, and warriors.

Feel free to holler at me, at any time, brother. I've enjoyed our little late night talks. You have the digits. Thank you for sharing some of your demons, and indeed, some of your soul.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 03/12/11
I found the tpo map of Hill 474,but I am having a Helluva time downloading it
[Linked Image]

Note that the location of the fight where Woody backed us up and where Speedy Gonzales was killed has been noted.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 03/12/11
Wow,the ole grid maps.. always was one of the best ways to navigate to the fight!! GREAT haven't seen one like that in lets say....uh 41 years !!! grin
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: 41 years ago - 03/12/11
Very moving. Makes me proud to be an American.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 41 years ago - 03/12/11
Suoi Cao Valley?

http://www.maplandia.com/vietnam/son-la/mai-son/suoi-cao/
No, if you look close that is in NORTH Vietnam
Posted By: Karnis Re: 41 years ago - 03/12/11

I've read this thread three times and each time it leaves a lump in my throat. Not being eyeball to eyeball, it's hard to express the gratitude and admiration I have for men that do such things.

If you have a mind to do it, tell the family that all of us share in their sacrifice and that a nation is eternally thankful.

How do you spell the name of the valley we've discussed? I guessed, and obviously guessed wrong.
I just learned something that I never knew when I was there. A guy from "B" Company who was KIA in a really savage battle in Cambodia in May of 1970 looks like he is going to get the Medal of Honor 41 years after.
Sui Ca or Suoi Ca. I have a bit to do so I'll check later for a better location.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: 41 years ago - 03/12/11

Lieutenants, and grid maps - some things never change. >grin<
http://www.rjsmith.com/happy_valley_complete_nf.html
I wish Rocky would jump in on this one,he might just know where we're talking about..

Way to go Sean!! grin
That's it. Another very nasty place
That's it. Another very nasty place

On my scale of "nasty" most of the friggin place was a resounding 10 !!!
Posted By: rifletom Re: 41 years ago - 03/12/11
I just read this today. Not sure how I missed it. Damn glad I read the whole deal. Whew! Hats off to both you fellas. Glad to see you here at the 'Fire you two. GOD BLESS.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: 41 years ago - 04/07/11

Just made aware of this thread by elk76. To you gents involved in that incident 41 years ago and to all the others alive who went and those fallen in 'Nam, my salute. Many, many thanks.
Posted By: djs Re: 41 years ago - 04/07/11
Excellent pot - thank you for the service. Vietnam vets never received the praise they deserved.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 04/17/11
This ties it all together
http://www.rjsmith.com/happy_valley_complete_nf.html
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 41 years ago - 04/17/11
Jim Martin, know this one thing.

you and yours are forever welcomed at my fire.

thank you sir.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: 41 years ago - 04/17/11
Originally Posted by ingwe

There are words for what you and Jim and hundreds of thousands of other guys have done...

There are sooo many of us that are sooo thankful and proud of what you boys have done, and in the same vein, we realize what the downsides were...

And we too are hesitant to talk much about it, because it brings tears to our eyes as well....

Very well said, and true. So true.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Finished today. A Jeweler engraved one of the cases from this bunch
[Linked Image]
and I got this

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The text reads" Sgt.Woody Fleming
Spooky
SPC Jim Martin
Co "C" 3/506
Hill 474
27 January 1970
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Very cool ET!
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Outstanding Jim.
Posted By: jnyork Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Sierra Hotel.
Posted By: Stan V Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Originally Posted by byc

Thanks for sharing!

David

Dittos!
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Humbled...
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Finished today. A Jeweler engraved one of the cases from this bunch
[Linked Image]
and I got this

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The text reads" Sgt.Woody Fleming
Spooky
SPC Jim Martin
Co "C" 3/506
Hill 474
27 January 1970

WOW!
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Sure is nice to see this...

Thank you for sharing...
Posted By: Mink Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Indeed, a truly great post.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
I hope some day to shake your hand and tell you (and Woody) how much I appreciate your service and your sacrifice.

Ed
Posted By: writing_frog Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Many thanks Jim for sharing part of your life with us. My father fought five years in Indochina. Your story honnor all the guys who fought there.
Flyboy thanks you allow us to read Jim and your story story.

Dom
Posted By: 340boy Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Jim,
Pretty amazing that you and Woody would run into each other again after so many years.

Those cases and the story behind them is really cool.

Thank you both for your service.

Tim
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
EvilTwin and Flyboy...good that you first met back then or we'd not know this story. Excellent stuff here!
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
I am glad Jim had somebody in his outfit that knew how to "get down"!
Posted By: wldthg Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
Jim--- I hope you and Woody get together soon -Tip a few and get [Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 10/10/11
I am working on just that Webb!
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
I figured the pics of the engraved 7.62 case belonged on this, the original thread. I assure you that the jeweler never had someone walk in the door and ask for a cartridge case to be engraved. I explained the signifigance to him and he said he'd do a good job for me (he did!) and charged me 30 bucks for the job. He sure as hell did me and Woody a favor. My wife thinks I'm crazy (nothing new here). Thanks to all of you fellas for the kind words. A Relic of Wars past!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
Thanks, to both of you, for your service. All the rest of you that served in the service, too!
Posted By: wldthg Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
Jim -- I think you have a few extra cartridge cases-- Get yourself a .308 if you don't already own one-- reload a few and hunt with them--- The Luck be with you for a nice buck-- Who else in the World could claim something like that. Web
Posted By: hatari Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
Hell of an idea! Something to supplement your smokepoles. Great story.
Posted By: steelheadslayer Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
wow, just an unbelievable post,
thanks to the both of you and to all that have served.
wish i had seen it earlier.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
One of the best threads I have seen here at the "fire"!!

Thanks to both of you and all who served!

ddj
Posted By: dave09 Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
We will never be able to repay you for what you all did,for now a heartfelt Thank You.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11

I certainly do understand it, sure couldn't have said it as well as you though.

Posted By: Mako25 Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
Who am I to contradict your Mrs. >grin<

Somebody already stole my idea of reloadin' a few of those for a .308, and takin' 'em on a hunt. Can't think of better way to polish the memories of those cases.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
Who am I to contradict your Mrs. >grin<

Mine[other half] doesn't comprehend the significance of a few old shell cases,guess it's because she's heard the war stories too many times.I have a few cases left but would give up a gun before these that's how much they mean to me especially since Jim and I were at the same place and time in a land far away!! That night will always remain branded in my memory banks forever.... W
Posted By: Violator22 Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
Woody and Jim, you two are some of the great ones. Anytime, you show up in Colorado, I have an open spot at my table. We will not forget! Les
Posted By: ironbender Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
Awesome thread ET.

Congrats to you and Flyboy, and many thanks.

RIP Speedy.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: 41 years ago - 10/11/11
I figured the pics of the engraved 7.62 case belonged on this, the original thread. I assure you that the jeweler never had someone walk in the door and ask for a cartridge case to be engraved. I explained the signifigance to him and he said he'd do a good job for me (he did!) and charged me 30 bucks for the job. He sure as hell did me and Woody a favor. My wife thinks I'm crazy (nothing new here). Thanks to all of you fellas for the kind words. A Relic of Wars past!
[Linked Image]

That's a great memento for you and Woody, Jim! Well done.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 10/13/11
Very classy touch Jim.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 41 years ago - 10/14/11
Great stuff, Jim. Truly. You have reason to be proud........
Posted By: AlaskanMatt Re: 41 years ago - 01/01/12
I've never heard a story like that before. Amazing! EvilTwin - thanks for the share!
Posted By: BIGR Re: 41 years ago - 01/01/12
I just found this thread and I must say it is one powerful thread. Anyone that reads this thread and does not feel something (emotion) is dead inside. I must say nothing could make me feel any prouder to be an American, knowing what valor and guts you guys have, Woody and Jim. Not only you two, but all the veterans that served and fought for our freedom. Even those of you that never saw combat, you either volunteered to serve or were drafted years ago. Most of you have never got the recognition that you deserve. Yet there are the ones here on the fire that truly appreciate you and would have fought proudly in the ditch right beside of you.

I never served, but had family that fought in wars. Granddad (mother�s dad) in World War I, his sons fought in World War II and the Korean War. Two of them were wounded in battle and was lucky enough to make it back home. I have cousins that fought in Nam and they were lucky enough to make it back. Although they never talked about the war much, it is truly amazing to hear what they had to endure while in combat. They were always a hero to me and still are after the are buried in the ground.

Once again, Thanks ALL VETERANS for your service.
Posted By: coltchris Re: 41 years ago - 01/01/12
Never seen this thread when it was posted; but just read it in its entirety. To just say "Thanks" after all thet has been posted by my 24hr brothers seems trivial; but I'll say it anyway: THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE from the bottom of my heart. Absolutely the best post I have ever read.
Posted By: lightman Re: 41 years ago - 01/02/12
Wow,I just read this whole thread!So many stories like this remain untold that its great to hear this one.Thank both of you for your service,and thanks for sharing this story.I'm also hoisting one in honor of your courage. Lightman
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
[Linked Image]

This thread has almost come full circle but yet it continues..today I received my engraved case in the mail from EvilTwin.The reality of our paths crossing so many years ago hasn't really sunk in until this afternoon while holding this piece of our history. Lost for words at the present is an understatement..this case goes with me from here on out as a reminder of a true American hero I'm proud to call friend,thanks Jim !!

The inscription reads:

TO SGT WOODY FLEMING
SPOOKY
FROM SPC JIM MARTIN
C 3/506
HILL 474
27 JANUARY 1970

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And it came wrapped in this! Yes I like jorge and few others have fallen victim to the "Dark Side" grin Thanks buddy.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
Was wondering if you were gonna post! grin

I can't wait til October now!
Yep now all we gotta do is kill a couple speed goats with those 7.62 cases..should be powerful juju if we can get it done!
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
Fellas, we're honored.

Woody, I knew Jim was doing that gift a while back. I was hoping you'd hang pics.
Sean he is really special but I certainly don't have to tell you of all people.I'm very fortunate to have crossed paths with Jim even after all these years...
Loveable old curmudgeon, he is. Damned proud to call him a "friend", but that word's inadequate.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
AMEN Sean.
Consider the same sentiments for and to you, ol' buddy. Ain't many people my wife will make me drive across the state for, just so she can give them a hug.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
Damn. Just damn. Where else you gonna read something like this? Way too cool!
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
Originally Posted by byc

Thanks for sharing!

David

I'm sold on this notion!

I just saw this for the first time today. To say, I'm moved, just doesn't begin to touch on the depth of awe I am in.

Simply breathtaking....
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
And a FINE lady she is you lucky DOG!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
Speechless. Thank you.
Posted By: remfak Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
I just read every post of all 27 pages. UNBELIEVABLE THREAD!! Nuff said.....
Posted By: Timberlake Re: 41 years ago - 02/03/12
OK, I read it again, and probably will next year this time I expect, maybe even inbetween.

I thank my lucky stars today that I didn't have to participate in what you grunts did. When I was clerkin' away in a tank battalion in Europe in the 60's I so wished I could go to VN. My hat's off to ET and FlyBoyFlem and ALL vets everywhere. Damn! I wish I could say more.

edit

Yes! There is more to say and this is it: This thread is the best ever and should be recognized as such.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Loveable old curmudgeon, he is. Damned proud to call him a "friend", but that word's inadequate.

Inadequate is well inadequate! They just don't come any better than Jim.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
+1...he paid me the best compliment I've ever been given....
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
grinThe jeweler who did the engraving on both cases was told the "why" and "how". I think he did a superlative job!! Odd, he had wet eyes when he handed it to me. Must have been his allergies confused
??? EVERY compliment I gave was HARD EARNED!!!! ALL of you guys deserve more than that. We are all dinosaurs now but folks would do well to remember that we wuz the T-Rex.
Posted By: GotAmmo Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
Thank you all for serving and all that you did way back then and now. If you haven't already done so I started a post under the Mil. thread at the bottom of the campfire page, sign into it and sound off.
Thanks again guys
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
How's it feel to be called "a lovable old curmudgeon" laugh
confusedSean musta had a few too many! Loveable???????? confused
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
My Thanks to both of you men. God Bless!
Posted By: akjeff Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
Somehow missed the original post, and am pretty much speechless.

Jeff
Posted By: Otter Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
Woody & Jim - I read this entire thread when it first was posted. I have read the whole thing several times since then. Each and every time, my eyes got wet. Jim, what you did with the cases Woody sent you was outstanding, and, yes, the jeweler did a great job.

I have had the good fortune to meet Woody, and it rained inside. Jim, I also hope to meet you some time. Both of you, again, have my utmost thanks for what you were doing 40+ years ago for me, personally, as well as for your country. I was in college at the time and missed out on being drafted - my "lucky number" never came up. I was embarrassed by the way our guys coming back from VN were treated when they got home. I still am. I know every one of our service men and women are heroes, but the story of you two is special. Maybe we can get another buffalo hunt going sometime, or maybe just get together to have some ribs in CB (I won't even order water, Woody grin).

Thanks again to you two and to all of our country's best and bravest. Bless you all.

BTW - When's the Sharps 'sposed to show up, Woody?
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
Originally Posted by Otter

BTW - When's the Sharps 'sposed to show up, Woody?

Nick best guess is late August or Sept.It's been a long wait for sure.Thanks for all the kind words and wish you could have made the CF lunch next month,lots of new guys to rain on! grin
Posted By: MHCT48 Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
Just read the entire thread...with tears shed....graduated HS in �67...lucky number came up....steel pin in my arm kept me out....lost friends in VN....It seems that the older I get, the stronger the pull of the past becomes....can only imagine the depth of feeling EvilTwin and Flyboy Flem have felt....thankful they were able to connect....thank you for sharing and....Thank You for Your Service....
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 41 years ago - 02/04/12
An amazing story, indeed. Thanks to those who served. I was too young for that war. My brother is older, but was kept out by his bum knee. His best friend in high school served, and wound up with two Purple Hearts.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
2 days ago, the rusty gates to the past were pulled open. I am frankly floored!! My BIL actually found a photo of Oscar "Speedy" Gonazales.This part however has floored me. I am the guy in the middle. I forget who the guy on the far right is. Too long ago. It was taken on Speedy's camera and his sister got it with his belongings. In 2007 she sent the pics to a guy who was in Charlie Company.
[Linked Image]

This has blown me away. I had forgotten the pic was even taken. You are seeing me as the psychotic 20 year old Infantryman I was back in the Bad Old Days. A drink to Speedy.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
Cheers to Speedy. RIP, you are remembered.
Posted By: okok Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
Nice find! Thanks for your service ET!
Posted By: northern_dave Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
That is really something.

Drink to Speedy.

Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
Great pic Jim,I'm sure this brings back many memories of another lifetime.The bond of "Brothers in arms" transcends time and place but is difficult for many to comprehend..finally great to put a face on your lost friend Speedy.RIP brother.
Posted By: vairboy Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
Great picture, sir. Thank you for your service, back in Vietnam and what you still do now. Thanks for bumping this post back to the top as well. Great story connecting you and Woody.
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
2 days ago, the rusty gates to the past were pulled open. I am frankly floored!! My BIL actually found a photo of Oscar "Speedy" Gonazales.This part however has floored me. I am the guy in the middle. I forget who the guy on the far right is. Too long ago. It was taken on Speedy's camera and his sister got it with his belongings. In 2007 she sent the pics to a guy who was in Charlie Company.
[Linked Image]

This has blown me away. I had forgotten the pic was even taken. You are seeing me as the psychotic 20 year old Infantryman I was back in the Bad Old Days. A drink to Speedy.

you know where I stand brother...
Posted By: Scott F Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
Truly amazing to have that turn up after all this time.

Another lifted in his memory.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
When my BIL first showed me, he blew it up and I pretty nearly went into shock. I look at it and look at it and the memories pile up hard. Everybody had pics taken with other guys and most never paid it any mind. I could be in 100 photo albums but I just wouldn't remember unless one turned up like this. My camera was shot up in my rucksack by an RPD and was given an unceremonious disposal. I actually hesitated to put it up because it jits me so hard.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
The Ghost Of The Past by Thomas Hardy

We two kept house, the Past and I,
The Past and I;
I tended while it hovered nigh,
Leaving me never alone.
It was a spectral housekeeping
Where fell no jarring tone,
As strange, as still a housekeeping
As ever has been known.

As daily I went up the stair,
And down the stair,
I did not mind the Bygone there --
The Present once to me;
Its moving meek companionship
I wished might ever be,
There was in that companionship
Something of ecstasy.

It dwelt with me just as it was,
Just as it was
When first its prospects gave me pause
In wayward wanderings,
Before the years had torn old troths
As they tear all sweet things,
Before gaunt griefs had torn old troths
And dulled old rapturings.

And then its form began to fade,
Began to fade,
Its gentle echoes faintlier played
At eves upon my ear
Than when the autumn's look embrowned
The lonely chambers here,
The autumn's settling shades embrowned
Nooks that it haunted near.

And so with time my vision less,
Yea, less and less
Makes of that Past my housemistress,
It dwindles in my eye;
It looms a far-off skeleton
And not a comrade nigh,
A fitful far-off skeleton
Dimming as days draw by.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12

Jim didn't ask your permission to post these but think it's appropriate that others see them especially knowing the full story of Hill 474 and the loss of your friend Speedy.Thanks to chapped lips for the original research.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: okok Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
When that picture was taken, how long had you been over there?
Posted By: DocRocket Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
[Linked Image]

Jim, that is amazing. Thanks for sharing this with us. I am really looking forward to feeding the tiger again with you again this fall, amigo.
Posted By: tzone Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
WOW!

Cool story. Damn cool opening the mail to find those!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 41 years ago - 08/04/12
Originally Posted by eh76
[Linked Image]

you know where I stand brother...

Me as well Gentlemen, a true mind blowing glimpse into a helluva trip through survival.

God Bless Ya Jim and RIP Speedy, as well as all the other Men who fought and died in that war. smile

Gunner
Posted By: kwg020 Re: 41 years ago - 08/06/12
Welcome home guys. This is all I have to say about that.

Here's a little music from Johnny Cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAbgmXVaOc8&feature=player_detailpage
Posted By: Badger_Pete Re: 41 years ago - 08/07/12
Thanks a ton to every man and woman here who has ever served our great country, particularly those who were never properly welcomed home. One of my greatest regrets is that I never served. I can remember watching a parade with my dad when I was pretty young and I noticed him with his hand over his heart and tears in his eyes as the flag went by. Many years later I figured what it was about. I hope your all as proud of your service as he was.

Pete
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 10/13/12
The circle is closed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 41 years ago - 10/13/12
That sir is an awesome story with a fantastic ending!

Thank you for sharing that story sir and thank you and flyboy for your service to this great country.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 10/13/12
As the circle has been closed for Woody and me, never forget that there were 28 other men there too and one, PSG Escobar was a GENUINE Hero as he fought it out muzzle to muzzle with 3 NVA so we could retrieve our dead. where ever my Brothers are now, whatever they are doing, I will forever be one of you and all of you have a secure place in my memory and heart. Woody saved us all, not just me. I am merely a poor representative of the Men of Charlie Co. 3/506,101st Airborne Division. Remember them.
Posted By: tzone Re: 41 years ago - 10/13/12
The circle is closed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wasn't going to post becasue I don't know what to say.... We'll leave it at that.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: 41 years ago - 10/13/12
Flyboy Flem..Thanks again for bringing this thread back up. I have been reading the " Circle is Closed " thread with a great deal of interest, but had a hard time keeping up with who was on the ground and who flying cover overhead. Now I can put it all together and see the players.

There are many great threads and many great people onboard here at 24HCF....however.....the "41 Years Ago" and "Circle" thread have to rate as the very best on the Fire. Thanks, to all the Vets. You guys are first rate.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 41 years ago - 10/13/12
As the circle has been closed for Woody and me, never forget that there were 28 other men there too and one, PSG Escobar was a GENUINE Hero as he fought it out muzzle to muzzle with 3 NVA so we could retrieve our dead. where ever my Brothers are now, whatever they are doing, I will forever be one of you and all of you have a secure place in my memory and heart. Woody saved us all, not just me. I am merely a poor representative of the Men of Charlie Co. 3/506,101st Airborne Division. Remember them.

Thanks for this post to Big Jim, and God Bless all of You Bro. wink

Gunner
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/23/14
AS promised (threatened?) here is the part one of TWO bestest threads and events in my life and memory!
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
The Best Thread Ever
Posted By: northern_dave Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
Jim, Woody, god bless ya.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
Amen and Amen, many Thanks for the revisit Jim and Woody. wink

Gunner
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
To pick up where we left off a few pics from my perspective to show location and terrain of operations..

Our mission briefs were based on the latest intel as we were usually a two ship compliment and our assigned patrol grids of bad guy activity were primarily incorrect as the night we got in the chit with Jim and the boys. grin

This is a typical grid map used for nav purposes.. My base at PhuCat we were NW of Qui Nhon and almost due E of Pleiku.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a photo of one of our AC's defending the PhuCat bomb dump perimeter taken by AF Security Police..50/50 chance it could have been us.

[Linked Image]

C119 Shadows TDY'd in on occasion for help with night interdiction missions.

[Linked Image]

One of our hot patrol areas South along the coast a few clicks West and South of Qui Nhon harbor.Sappers had soft targets to occupy their time and a big POL storage/pipeline facility to harass.We burned lots of gas flying orbits over these hills just to let Charlie know we were watching.

[Linked Image]

These pics are Hill 474 where ET and I crossed paths with the An Lao valley in the background.A nasty place in late Jan 1970.

[img]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/Arch48/IMG_2317_zps6a1e3cff.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/Arch48/Image0171_zps2dea741e.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/Arch48/Image0176_zps8eed1474.jpg[/img]

Now Jim can pick it up here as he will brief on how my gunship arrived to lend a helping hand.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
Picture number 2 of 474 was taken by one of the guys in my company. We were on that finger for 3 days. Looking at the center ridge and where our battle actually took place is in that picture. The Chithook flying away had just made a fougasse drop on the ridge,which is why all you see is boulders and smoke. 15 drums of fougasse and an igniter would be dropped on the target to burn off the jungle and make crispy critters. If you look close, you will see why we were surrounded. That place was honeycombed with caves. between the 2 ridges is the wide draw/valley/gulch I referred to in the beginning. In the background the knife edge ridge in the distance across the paddies had a 2 gun artillery emplacement just for us. Woodys guns raked that draw between the ridges where the NVA was maneuvering on our flank. Exciting nite to say the least.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
[Linked Image]

Very cool. You can't put a value on things like this.

Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
The circle is closed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome, and well desrved.
Posted By: goalie Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
Wow.

There are a few people out there that I owe a lot more than a beer, but I don't know if I would want to meet them. It could be embarrassing on my part if it got emotional, and reading this makes me guess that it would.

Posted By: rattler Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
while i havent met Woody, Jim is a hell of a guy to sit and BS with.....not sure how i missed this thread in the past but just read through it all....
Posted By: eyeball Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
Originally Posted by byc

Thanks for sharing!

David

Amen.
Posted By: eyeball Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
[Linked Image]

Amen.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14

ET,

Phenomenal story and thank you for sharing that window of time into your life. I read the story and just passed my iPad over to my wife to read. There was no way I could recite it to her.

I will remember you and this story every time I see our American Flag. My hats off to you sir, those who stood bedside you, and those who flew the top cover.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
about the coolest circle closing I've ever witnessed
Posted By: djs Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
What a small world!
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
Damn ET, that looks just like RSVN!

This is the coolest thread in a long time. Brings back my memories as well.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
I find this thread humbling and very proud that I can call ET and Woody my friends. What these guys did (as well as many of you here who fought in that conflict) was nothing short of above and beyond. jorge
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
Jorge I never posted this before but ET always talks about how we saved his behind,some truth but what he hasn't revealed is the fact he and his pards opened a big can of whipazz on the NVA that evening keeping their heads down while we made our gun runs.Operating below minimums down in that valley and well within AK and RPG range we took zero hits.These guys all should have received commendations for their fire suppression under extreme duress and just might have saved an aircrew in the process...W
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/14
Jim and I have had some good talks about this action and you are absolutely correct, these guys should have been decorated for their actions. I am just in AWE as to what all of you guys did in that conflict.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/14
I just discovered this thread and have only read a few posts but I am hooked! Now I'm glad we have a weekend blizzard forecasted because it will give me a chance to read this whole thing. So far all I can say is WOW.

Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/14
Rooster you also need to read the "circle is closed thread. And have tissues
Posted By: jnyork Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/14
This is a great story, thanks for resurrecting it.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/14
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Would love to!

Link?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/14
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Would love to!

Link?

Bumped it for u
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/14
Just made it home to read the rest of the thread, Jim. I appreciate the message.

The extra photos and insight are amazing. Like Rattler, I've not had the pleasure of meeting Woody in person, but Jim is fine people in my book.

I can't begin to express my gratitude to this nation's veterans, and especially our Vietnam Veterans. You men had a tough row to hoe when you got back home even.

May God bless and keep you all.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 41 years ago - 01/28/15
Jim, Woody, once again you two have made my eyes water, not many can achieve this.

I owe you both of you Gentleman a debt of gratitude that I will never be able to repay so I make a promise to you and every soldier past and present, I will live my life a FREE man with every effort made to enjoy the rights afforded to me thru God and the men and women of the armed services.

Thank you again for sharing such a personal story.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: 41 years ago - 01/28/15
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

May God bless and keep you all.

Amen.
Posted By: shortside Re: 41 years ago - 01/28/15
Awesome. Couple of Heros in my eyes.

Thank you for your service and for sharing.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/28/15
Maybe some of the newer Campfire denizens will take the opportunity to get a snapshot of that war through this. If it gets the hair on the back of their necks standing then it will have opened some eyes. Woody and I spoke about this earlier this evening. It still gives us the chills. Thanx Woody. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: 41 years ago - 01/28/15
Just found this thread for the first time and read each and every post. While words don't do enough, I want to say Thank You to every veteran on this board.
Posted By: coobie1 Re: 41 years ago - 01/29/15
Just like to bump this to the top,just because. smile
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: 41 years ago - 01/29/15
Great story! Thanks to Jim and Woody for your service.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: 41 years ago - 01/29/15
Wow is all I have to say. Cheers to you sir.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 01/29/15
Jim and Woody; here's to you Brothers!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/29/15
Thanks Jorge, we need to hunt Tatonka one of these days before the home comes calling. grin
Ready when you guys are! SERIOUSLY!
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/29/15
We best get on da farggin fones then!! Gittin' too old to frig around waiting!!!!
Thought one of you reprobates was working one already and your dance card was full, but I was next in line if someone backed out. Silver Sage is fine by me BTW.
Posted By: hatari Re: 41 years ago - 01/29/15
Someone needs to record the lies .....er..... I mean stories told around that campfire!!! smile
Originally Posted by hatari
Someone needs to record the lies .....er..... I mean stories told around that campfire!!! smile

grinIf'n we tell ya we'll haveta kill ya!! grin NOTHING in writing or on vid or audio grin The 5th Applies grin
Posted By: Barbarosa Re: 41 years ago - 01/29/15
Wow! Thank You for the story.
Welcome. I wear my cartridge case around my neck every day all day for life now.
Posted By: paint Re: 41 years ago - 02/01/15
The best thread I'll ever have the honor of reading. I've learned a lot of things in the past five years, and I only hope this thread educates those who haven't had the privilege of this knowledge.

Jim, after talking to my Dad's Company Commander, I understand EXACTLY what you meant about courtesy being extended to those you fought against. It was told to me by good authority that the NVA might well have been the finest light Infantry our guys have ever faced.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Back by popular demand. The Woody almost got Jim thread!!
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Rock On! Its stories like these that give me hope!. Just awesome!

Thank you for your service and have an awesome day!
Posted By: JSTUART Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Originally Posted by byc

Thanks for sharing!

David

Yes, it has my vote.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Honored to call you two mooks friends! Will crack an 18 yr Talisker tonight and toast you guys!
Posted By: T LEE Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Still rocks, you are really two of the BEST good guys.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by byc

Thanks for sharing!

David

Yes, it has my vote.

Same here!

I don't know how a story can pain me that much, and at the same time make me glad Ive had the honor of meeting and knowing these two.......but this one does.

It has already been said multiple times, but thank you two....and welcome home.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Posted by FlyboyFlem

The circle is closed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Nice!
Posted By: stripe55 Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
OUT-[bleep]-STANDING!!,

I was working last night so my salute to the two of you and all that were with you will happen this evening.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Back to the top. This should be a sticky.

Thanks for what you Did.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
Once again....Thank you Boys, you two are the essence of great men.
Posted By: dawggone Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/16
EvilTwin and FlyboyFlem you have my utmost and deepest respect. We haven't met but we have a friend in common who related this story to me. I am glad you are both here with us to share this.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/16
I am currently tipping a Salute to Oscar "Speedy" Gonzales and Woody.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/16
Right back at ya Jim and to all we left behind that night but mine will be a tall glass of Buff Trace at 17:30 hrs this evening.We were in pre-flight mode about this time,topping off tanks,loading 7.62 and flares for our mission up North but never realized we would be diverted to a nasty hill battle which would change our lives forever...Salute my friend!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/16
Two of the good ones! God Bless
Posted By: 4ager Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/16
Toasted to you two, and to Speedy, and the Artful Dodger, yesterday evening.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/16
I am currently tipping a Salute to Oscar "Speedy" Gonzales and Woody.

And now, same here Big Jim, I'll just take the rest of the day off and hit a strong pull on the jug of apple 'shine I got for Christmas, SALUD! to ALL and an undying Thanks for All Your Service to this great Nation, the Flag, and the People it represents! smile

Gunner
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/16
Ass and brass saved Drill Sergent!

Kudos!

D
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
I linked the wrong thread...sorry!
Posted By: hatari Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
Toast to you both!
Posted By: Raeford Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
Thanks to you two and all that serve.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
Gents most of you know our story by now,how our paths crossed in another lifetime on a hill in Vietnam so many years ago.Tomorrow 25 Jan 2017 is an anniversary of sorts now 47 years since that encounter.

We'd like to extend an invitation to all our CF friends joining us in a toast tomorrow evening at 17:30 hrs as Jim and I hoist a glass to those we left behind....W
Posted By: centershot Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
Outstanding.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
Fantastic! (You'll have to pardon the catch in my throat as I type.)
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
We'd like to extend an invitation to all our CF friends joining us in a toast tomorrow evening at 17:30 hrs as Jim and I hoist a glass to those we left behind....W

It will be an Honor.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
Damn I wish I could buy you boys a drink.

Tell you what, the next two vets I see in a bar get a drink in your honor.

P
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: 41 years ago - 01/24/17
I'm glad the both of you made it home. May God hold close those brave souls who didn't.

Copy 17:30. It would truly be an honor. Thank you.

cf
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/17
It's 17:30 hrs here which would have been our takeoff time. My glass is raised in honor for my friend Jim and those we left behind..Rest in peace brothers..Salute
Posted By: SandBilly Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/17
Thank you gentlemen. Awesome all around.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/17
1730 here, shot going down in your guy's honor, salute!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/17
God bless you guys.
Posted By: rong Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/17
Thanks for your service guys,,,,salute
edit to add;
It's threads like this that make this site so enjoyable,So many great people here.And again THANKS to all Vets.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/17
Thanks guys. Seems like it was only yesterday.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/17
I'm a bit late to the 1730 Party, but thanks to you two gents and all your comrades in arms.

Salud, L'chaim, Prost, Na Zdorovie,

and a big "here's to you're continued health and well being".

Geno
Posted By: Seafire Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/17
to both Jim and Woody....

Thank both of you gentlemen for your service to your country and Jim, also to your service to your community as an LEO...

Thank you both for the hospitality you extended to me when I visited both of you gentlemen in your homes in the past...

May God Bless both of you, and grant you a long healthy life ahead of you still....

A Salute of Respect to both of you Gents!

best regards
seafire
Posted By: hanco Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/17
That is cool
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/17
Gentlemen thanks again for the kind words.A parting pic that means more to us than words can ever describe made possible by our friend and brother Keith {eh76} who put our reunion hunt together.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/17
Amen.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/17
It was very good to read all that stuff again. Its something very timeless for many vets. Thanks and a (slow...honor salute).
Posted By: eh76 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Bump for my brother
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Originally Posted by eh76
Bump for my brother

Damn good to read you too my Friend. smile
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Tomorrow is the 48th anniversary of that fight.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Reverence here too my Friend.
Posted By: kingston Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Thank you
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Still a.sobering thread. Many Thanks
Posted By: Maarty Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Pretty sure I've said it before on this thread, thank you both and all those who served.
Words are not enough.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Lest we forget... Thinking of you and Woody, Brother.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
It's 17:30 hrs here which would have been our takeoff time. My glass is raised in honor for my friend Jim and those we left behind..Rest in peace brothers..Salute

I'll make it a point to raise a glass for you both, at 1730 Hrs this date. God bless you, boys.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
This thread needs to be a sticky...........

A salute to all.

Dan
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Amen cheers boys!
Posted By: hatari Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Salute to you both!!
Posted By: hanco Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Thank you both!!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
One of my favorite all time threads.. It has been a privilege to meet and get to know you both!
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Certainly a day of remembrance filled with many good and bad memories as many passages from Rocky's books come to mind.

Thanks for the bump Keith, Jim and I will always be indebted to you for our reunion hunt in WY.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
A hearty thank you and welcome home to you both.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Certainly a day of remembrance filled with many good and bad memories as many passages from Rocky's books come to mind.

Thanks for the bump Keith, Jim and I will always be indebted to you for our reunion hunt in WY.

That is a big Roger!!!!
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
I've read this thread a few times. Simply amazing how it all came together and that you both survived!! God blessed you both, and may he continue to.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Glad you both made it - and are still around!
I thoroughly enjoy this thread - every year! smile
Posted By: saddlering Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Thanks again for your service Boys! Ill raise my Glass!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Gentlemen thanks again for the kind words.A parting pic that means more to us than words can ever describe made possible by our friend and brother Keith {eh76} who put our reunion hunt together.

[Linked Image]

That is truly an awesome pic.

Loving reading this story again.
Posted By: Harry M Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
United States Military, salt of the Earth in my book. Thank you all for your service to this Country.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
I'll be raising my glass as usual at 17:30 our time..We survived !

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lvmiker Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Welcome Home Brothers.

" To us and those like us, damn few are left"

mike r
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
Tomorrow is the 48th anniversary of that fight.

Tomorrow is also the Anniversary of the beginning of a lifelong brotherhood.

Everyone I tell your story to are completely awed, and I mean speechless.

It's a honor to know both of you men even if it is "just" the Internet.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/18
I'm glad I opened this thread. I will be my honor to join you gentlemen for that drink. Thank you for your service and Welcome Home.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/18
The Salutes have been made and the drinks hoisted. Thanks guys for giving Woody and me some of your time. All of us who were there are old men now. At that point in time, we honestly didn't think we were going to make one more day. What a ride we have had!!!
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
1/26/70.. Another year another remembrance..Jim and I have vowed to raise a toast to honor those left behind that night until our last breath ..We invite you to join us tomorrow at 17:30 CST.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
SALUTE!.........................................smile
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
Dilly Dilly !
Posted By: Dennis81082 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
I've read all this through watery eyes a few times and it never fails to impress.

I'd love to hoist a glass but don't have anything stronger than Dr Pepper in the house.

That will have to do, tomorrow at 18:30 CST.

Many thanks to all our service members.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
Salute, Gentlemen.
Posted By: LouisB Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
RIP Cpl Gonzales
Welcome Home to all vets.
Thank you both for your service as well as others here on 24HCF for your service.
Fortunately there was someone on station to provide the firepower support that a platoon could never muster or sustain.
I would imagine others here came in with folks to lend a helping hand to the lonely guys on the ground at a time when it was MOST appreciated.
I am betting that the assistance of supporting superior firepower no matter the source was/is appreciated!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
Excellent post!
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
Salute to a couple of our nation's finest.
Thanks for doing what you did.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
Yes a Salute to the both of you fellows! and to the brothers that didnt make it Home!
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/19
All rise--hand salute--
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
A thanks to all who served.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19

The Salutes have been made and the drinks hoisted. Thanks guys for giving Woody and me some of your time. All of us who were there are old men now. At that point in time, we honestly didn't think we were going to make one more day. What a ride we have had!!!

1/26/70.. Another year another remembrance..Jim and I have vowed to raise a toast to honor those left behind that night until our last breath ..We invite you to join us tomorrow at 17:30 CST.

I can’t believe that I have never read this before. I very rarely ever have a drink but tomorrow sure seems very appropriate. Thank you men for your service, for your heroic acts and for living with the all of the obvious nightmares and horrors of war. May our Father God and Savior Jesus The Christ richly bless you both.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
Toast.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
All day long this has been on my mind. Odd how the sounds and smells never seem to go away.We are all old men now. Thanks Woody and Spooky. Toast!!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
Salute! Both with an appropriate beverage, and my heartfelt thanks for what you two and all the other vets have done for us!

I've had the honor and pleasure of sharing a campfire with Woody, but Jim keeps avoiding me, so I'll just have to wait to thank the old bastid later.

Ed
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
Bottoms up.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19

[Linked Image]

Jim & Woody....

another year and another toast and salute of respect to two great gentlemen

who I have been blessed to be a guest in both of their homes.....

I've served and have been around a lot of guys who saw action in Vietnam and other war zones,
but none have ever topped the humility I have felt in the presence of Woody and Jim...
they may have equaled it, but never exceeded it.

On top of it, they are both damn fine gentlemen in their own rights.

I wish you both many more happy, healthy years ahead to do your annual remembrance toasts..
to those that made it home and to those left behind.

its an honor to know both of you fine gentlemen.

cheers and best regards!
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
Good story, the kind a tribe needs. But for those who have not, yet, read all the conversation what was the...

"A rather unorthodox method of warning off the guns was employed until radio contact was established."
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19

crazyOK,here goes. 474 wasn't a high hill,only 474 meters,but huge in mass. we were on the side facing the South China Sea (25klicks out) and there were 2 long finger ridges with a wide (350m) draw between them. The left hand ridge was lower in height but absolutely lousy with roky caves. We had moved from a combat assault on the summit with my Platoon on the south edge of said finger ridge. We go itno it HARD about halfway down. "Speedy" Gonzales the ag for the M60 got shot in the chest in a bowl in the middle of a bunch of caves. 4 of us, Greg Dodge,Tiny Johnson the Medic, Billy Sims an M79 grenadier and myself went in to get Speedy while Psg Escobar fought it out at 10'range with the gooks to cover us. We got him otu and the REAL fighting began. The NVA GREATLY outnumbered us and were maneuvering on our flank. NOBODY who has experience ever would allow the NVA to maneuver on them. We went low on ammo and called for help. The Spooky showed and began a fire run. The burst was actually within 10' of our perimeter.Tommy"Sunshine" Scoville yelled out we're [bleep]!!! I yelled at Sims to jump on the rock and shuck and jive. He said I wuz outta my friggin mind. I said Billy, the NVA ain't drafted or enlisted any [bleep] lately so jump up and dance,even a dumbass Zoomie would recognize you!!! Sims yelled back that I wuz right, jumped up and danced and the Pilot pulled off until we could get actaul radio contact with him. It would never make it into any tactical manual but we were who we were. We came through it all together and only lost one man. January 25 1970

Good job my friend.. what the rest of you guys that weren't in the chit need to understand is the "N" word was not at all derogatory in most cases!! wink and for me some of my black buds were also called that and they in turn affectionately had names for us white dudes grin ..sound crazy not at all for the times or the bond of brothers black or white!! 41 years seems like a life time but to Jim and me it was yesterday..I'm so very fortunate to have met him here on the "Fire" and above all call him my friend!! smile ... The "Dumbazz Zoomie"

Awesome !!
Posted By: djs Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
Wonderful story. It is amazing that you were able to re-connect! Congratulations!
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
What a shining moment to have in memory. Powerful enough so that even one who did not live it may draw from it's example.
I wish there was some TV program, some blend of "The Big Picture" and "Combat" that would show these things. I know there have been movies made but they are big, expensive and sometimes it seems that the core of the story gets hidden by ejecting brass.
Thanks for reposting this for the dullards like me.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 41 years ago - 01/26/19
You boys beat the odds that night and did it well. Helluva story told well.

Old times there are not forgotten.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/19
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You boys beat the odds that night and did it well. Helluva story told well.

Old times there are not forgotten.

Guess we did manage to beat the odds that night even though the 22nd NVA had other ideas..

Many thanks again gents for your kind words. God willing Jim and I will be granted another mission of remembrance next year..
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/19
Without a doubt this is the best post ever. Each year I’m amazed how fate brought you two together and pray that you’ll share many more toasts as the years go by.

God bless you both!
Thank you !
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/19
Well, I'm gobsmacked. I somehow missed this thread the entire time. I deeply regret that I wasn't on that hunt with you guys, just to toast a little, cry a little, and love a lot.

I came to 'Nam a year after Hill 474, but my first FAC assignment was out of LZ English with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Binh Dinh Province. I had my own duels with the NVA there. And have a story about a Black man on point on a similar ridge that I cannot tell without choking up.

As they used to say at the end of each "Dragnet" show, there are many stories in the big city; this has been one of them.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Well, I'm gobsmacked. I somehow missed this thread the entire time. I deeply regret that I wasn't on that hunt with you guys, just to toast a little, cry a little, and love a lot.

I came to 'Nam a year after Hill 474, but my first FAC assignment was out of LZ English with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Binh Dinh Province. I had my own duels with the NVA there. And have a story about a Black man on point on a similar ridge that I cannot tell without choking up.

As they used to say at the end of each "Dragnet" show, there are many stories in the big city; this has been one of them.

Thanks Rocky we would have enjoyed your company as well... a sit down with you is still on my bucket list before Mr.G. Reaper comes calling..

Jim's info here.. Bad guys 22nd NVA regiment...Good guys... 101st Airborne Div..,Co B and C..3rd Battalion 503rd Infantry 173 rd Airborne Brigade. We weren't supposed to be there that night but as fate would have it we managed to duke it out for while until bingo ammo and fuel.. We had a full 7.62 load out that night and went through all 30,000 rds which lightened us up considerably on the return trip.

474 with the An Lao valley in the distance you most likely know the area well.

[Linked Image]screen shot download

[Linked Image]
That valley was an NVA stronghold in '71. Or was still one, I should say. At the time, there was a ROK brigade stationed nearby 173rd. The Koreans were known to be the toughest, meanest, cruelest mofos on two legs. Comanches were nuns in comparison. We started the rumor that the ROKs were to be allowed a "Koreans-only, no ROE" search and destroy up the length of that valley. Overnight, the NVA absolutely disappeared. Rumors are sometimes the best weapons.
Yes Sir the ROK troops weren't to be messed with..Phu Cat had a detachment for perimeter defense that always managed to nail most of the 122 rocket crews before they got away.
AT LZ English, the NVA would send a sapper in at night. He'd creep in through the wire until he found a Claymore, which he would turn around and set it up facing our lines. Then he'd creep off a ways and rattle the wires. When our sentries fired the Claymore, they'd get blasted with it. NVA must have thought it was cute. The 173rd asked the ROKs if they could help, thinking that maybe they'd send a guy or two down there to catch the bad guy.

Nope. A ROK lieutenant showed up with a starlight scope. He watched, smiling, as an NVA sapper tediously wormed his way in. Until he reached for the Claymore. At which point, the ROK Lt reached for the clapper, and...

Next morning, they found two hands. Nothing else. The ROK Lt hung those hands on the outermost razor wire, and that kind of intrusion stopped.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 01/27/19
Originally Posted by Seafire

[Linked Image]

Jim & Woody....

I wish you both many more happy, healthy years ahead to do your annual remembrance toasts..

cheers and best regards!

Could not have said it better myself!

Two fine and deserving gentlemen, both of whom I've had the pleasure to meet.

Many more toasts to come!

Rocky said it best.." cry a little, love a lot..."
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Seafire

[Linked Image from preview.ibb.co]

Jim & Woody....

cheers and best regards!

Could not have said it better myself!

Two fine and deserving gentlemen, both of whom I've had the pleasure to meet.

Many more toasts to come!

Rocky said it best.." cry a little, love a lot..."

Hold those glasses high and salute these great men
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
A glass held high (tonight) to both of you................to your health !!

MM
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
HEAR HEAR!
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Catching the bump on this post for the first time.

Thanks for recanting the tale and my deepest gratitude for your service to America.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Cheers and good health, fellas.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Still the single best post ever on the fire....
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Thank you and all who served. I appreciate the sacrifice you gave to attempt to keep the lamp of freedom lit.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
I sure miss Jim posting here. Hope he's doing well.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I sure miss Jim posting here. Hope he's doing well.

As do I, he's had some health issues the last few years but is doing better now...Jim's too onery to let anything bother him much !
grin
Posted By: kwg020 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Toast !

To survivors and those who were left behind. This is a great story. Heros all.

kwg
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Thanks, Godspeed and high toasts!
Posted By: kendibs Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Much, much thanks to the both of you.

-Ken
Posted By: JDinCO Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
This thread has been a major reason for me to wander back on this site.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
There are no Spooky gunners down in Hell.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Jim and Woody, I will hoist 32 Drams 16 year Glenmorangie in your honors tonight, take care, and many Thanks!

Gunner
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
As many of us as possible really REALLY need to have a get-together as soon as the Great Covidiocy is over.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
I just read this entire post for the first time. It brought back many memories I have from being a crew chief on C-130's in Vietnam from 1967-1970.

I watched Spooky gunships operate several times early on and man, I always wanted to be a gunner on one of them. Later on in 68, I flew 40 missions out of Ubon Thailand on Blind Bat 130's and got to watch the C-130 gunships work. Again, I thought how cool it would to be a gunner on a gunship.

My hat is off to all of you vets in Viet Nam , and especially to you heroes on the ground! Just think of how many years ago that was, and how we all share a memory that still seems like it happened yesterday.

Ken

PS I just looked in the fridge----6 or 7 cans of Bud Light will have to do. I hope noon isn't too early!

Posted By: saddlering Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
A toast to you fine man! Least we Forget!
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Slow hand salute to Jim and Woody! My hat is off to all you studs from that war! It was an honor being trained by such men, though it did suck!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/21
Appreciate the sentiment and intent, troublesome, but the slow salute is usually meant for the fallen. It is entirely right and proper to give one in this case, but not for Woody and Jim (May they both be with us for a long time more!)
Posted By: HitnRun Re: 41 years ago - 11/01/21
Look through this thread and see who doesn’t post anymore. Substantial members of the Campfire to never be heard from.

You can thank all the whiners and complaining from the losers that have taken over, yet this is a monument to all the good guys you don’t hear from anymore.

Salute!
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 11/01/21
I miss Jim posting here. I hope he is doing well.
Posted By: hosfly Re: 41 years ago - 11/01/21
Thank all you men who served!!
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Another 25 Jan has arrived so we will be raising our glasses at 17: 30 to honor those we left behind...Since Jim and I met here on the Fire we invite you to join us..

God Bless all who serve past and present....

Woody
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Hand salute!~
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
I'm on this gents. Your choice, bourbon or whisky for the toast smile
Posted By: High_Noon Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Many thanks for your service.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
At 17:30 it shall be done.

How is ET doing Woody, I miss his wisdom around here. Please tell him I said Hi.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Originally Posted by 12344mag
At 17:30 it shall be done.

How is ET doing Woody, I miss his wisdom around here. Please tell him I said Hi.

This.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Another 25 Jan has arrived so we will be raising our glasses at 17: 30 to honor those we left behind...Since Jim and I met here on the Fire we invite you to join us..

God Bless all who serve past and present....

Woody

Amen.
Posted By: TimZ Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Thank you all, a shame some of the good guys don't post much anymore......
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
My glass will be full. I hope Jim is doing well. Miss his posts.
Posted By: g5m Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Best wishes, ALL.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
I will tip a glass tonight gentlemen, and thank you for your service.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Fellas Jim is well, as usual our phone conversation this evening is likely so I'll be sure to send him your best wishes... Thanks
Posted By: kwg020 Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Hello all
January 1970. I was a sophomore in Highschool looking to score even a kiss from some little sophomore high school girl. ET and Woody were fighting for their lives in some little [bleep]. I am so glad we had those heroes in our lives. And, are still with us tonight. Thanks for what you guys have done for us. Bottoms up.

kwg
Posted By: Seafire Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
I really think this is the best thread to ever be put on the campfire.. and glad to see it resurface once again..

I've met both Woody and Jim... and even been a guest in their home...

have met a bunch of campfire members in my time here ..... but none finer than either Woody or Jim...

And then with all of this, two of the most humble men I've ever met in my lifetime.. and that has been a bunch of people.

Happy Anniversary Guys, and thank God you both made it home in one piece.

A salute of respect, and gratitude... for our nation, and being able to be a guest in your homes... It was I who was dramatically humbled for my good fortune.

Cheers and Best Regards.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
1st time I have seen this thread. I was raised watching the Viet Nam War on T.V. news with Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather. It ended when I was 14. I have read the entire thread and I am not ashamed to say that I have watery eyes. I have always been interested in the stories told by the guys that were actually in combat. But it is darn near impossible to get them to open up if you haven't Been There-Done That. I never pushed too hard. I was afraid of dredging up some bad memories. Though just asking about it opened that door. I only met one guy, he was about 6 years older than me, that didn't get wistful and melancholy. He even got out the photo album. That was cool. I loved his stories.

Thanks for sharing this one, EvilTwin. I appreciate the insight.

I'll make an appt. with a Mr. Jack Daniels at 5:30 p.m. this afternoon.

Cheers.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Fellas Jim is well, as usual our phone conversation this evening is likely so I'll be sure to send him your best wishes... Thanks

Woody and Jim...I will damn sure tip a glass to you two tonight!

I am privileged to have met you both!
Posted By: ACD Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Good read guys, I’m very grateful for all that served. Amen
Posted By: roverboy Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Thank you for your service , and the great story.
Posted By: FLNative Re: 41 years ago - 01/25/22
Thank you both, happy to see this thread back again. Salute and another toast to both of you this evening.

Cheers and God Bless.
© 24hourcampfire