-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woody & Jim - I read this entire thread when it first was posted. I have read the whole thing several times since then. Each and every time, my eyes got wet. Jim, what you did with the cases Woody sent you was outstanding, and, yes, the jeweler did a great job.

I have had the good fortune to meet Woody, and it rained inside. Jim, I also hope to meet you some time. Both of you, again, have my utmost thanks for what you were doing 40+ years ago for me, personally, as well as for your country. I was in college at the time and missed out on being drafted - my "lucky number" never came up. I was embarrassed by the way our guys coming back from VN were treated when they got home. I still am. I know every one of our service men and women are heroes, but the story of you two is special. Maybe we can get another buffalo hunt going sometime, or maybe just get together to have some ribs in CB (I won't even order water, Woody grin).

Thanks again to you two and to all of our country's best and bravest. Bless you all.

BTW - When's the Sharps 'sposed to show up, Woody?

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Otter

BTW - When's the Sharps 'sposed to show up, Woody?

Nick best guess is late August or Sept.It's been a long wait for sure.Thanks for all the kind words and wish you could have made the CF lunch next month,lots of new guys to rain on! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just read the entire thread...with tears shed....graduated HS in �67...lucky number came up....steel pin in my arm kept me out....lost friends in VN....It seems that the older I get, the stronger the pull of the past becomes....can only imagine the depth of feeling EvilTwin and Flyboy Flem have felt....thankful they were able to connect....thank you for sharing and....Thank You for Your Service....

Live so that it matters that you have lived at all....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An amazing story, indeed. Thanks to those who served. I was too young for that war. My brother is older, but was kept out by his bum knee. His best friend in high school served, and wound up with two Purple Hearts.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
2 days ago, the rusty gates to the past were pulled open. I am frankly floored!! My BIL actually found a photo of Oscar "Speedy" Gonazales.This part however has floored me. I am the guy in the middle. I forget who the guy on the far right is. Too long ago. It was taken on Speedy's camera and his sister got it with his belongings. In 2007 she sent the pics to a guy who was in Charlie Company.
[Linked Image]

This has blown me away. I had forgotten the pic was even taken. You are seeing me as the psychotic 20 year old Infantryman I was back in the Bad Old Days. A drink to Speedy.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Cheers to Speedy. RIP, you are remembered.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice find! Thanks for your service ET!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That is really something.

Drink to Speedy.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pic Jim,I'm sure this brings back many memories of another lifetime.The bond of "Brothers in arms" transcends time and place but is difficult for many to comprehend..finally great to put a face on your lost friend Speedy.RIP brother.

Woody
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Great picture, sir. Thank you for your service, back in Vietnam and what you still do now. Thanks for bumping this post back to the top as well. Great story connecting you and Woody.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
2 days ago, the rusty gates to the past were pulled open. I am frankly floored!! My BIL actually found a photo of Oscar "Speedy" Gonazales.This part however has floored me. I am the guy in the middle. I forget who the guy on the far right is. Too long ago. It was taken on Speedy's camera and his sister got it with his belongings. In 2007 she sent the pics to a guy who was in Charlie Company.
[Linked Image]

This has blown me away. I had forgotten the pic was even taken. You are seeing me as the psychotic 20 year old Infantryman I was back in the Bad Old Days. A drink to Speedy.

you know where I stand brother...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Truly amazing to have that turn up after all this time.

Another lifted in his memory.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When my BIL first showed me, he blew it up and I pretty nearly went into shock. I look at it and look at it and the memories pile up hard. Everybody had pics taken with other guys and most never paid it any mind. I could be in 100 photo albums but I just wouldn't remember unless one turned up like this. My camera was shot up in my rucksack by an RPD and was given an unceremonious disposal. I actually hesitated to put it up because it jits me so hard.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Ghost Of The Past by Thomas Hardy

We two kept house, the Past and I,
The Past and I;
I tended while it hovered nigh,
Leaving me never alone.
It was a spectral housekeeping
Where fell no jarring tone,
As strange, as still a housekeeping
As ever has been known.

As daily I went up the stair,
And down the stair,
I did not mind the Bygone there --
The Present once to me;
Its moving meek companionship
I wished might ever be,
There was in that companionship
Something of ecstasy.

It dwelt with me just as it was,
Just as it was
When first its prospects gave me pause
In wayward wanderings,
Before the years had torn old troths
As they tear all sweet things,
Before gaunt griefs had torn old troths
And dulled old rapturings.

And then its form began to fade,
Began to fade,
Its gentle echoes faintlier played
At eves upon my ear
Than when the autumn's look embrowned
The lonely chambers here,
The autumn's settling shades embrowned
Nooks that it haunted near.

And so with time my vision less,
Yea, less and less
Makes of that Past my housemistress,
It dwindles in my eye;
It looms a far-off skeleton
And not a comrade nigh,
A fitful far-off skeleton
Dimming as days draw by.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
EvilTwin.....this is YOUR Gonzales.....maybe you only knew him as "Speedy".....
from the Vietnam War Memorial website.

Oscar Cruz Gonzales was born October 31, 1948 and his home of record was Elsa, Texas. He had attended Edcouch-Elsa High School. In Vietnam, he served with the 3rd Battalion, 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Divsion (Screaming Eagles). He was killed in the Battle of Hill 474 on January 25, 1970. He had been in Vietnam two months and was 21 years old at the time of his death. He was survived by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Jorge G. Gonzalez his sisters: Olga, Felcipas, Olivia, Rita and Elizabeth and brothers: Jorge, Luis, Benigno and Victor. A funeral mass was said at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Elsa and he was buried in Highland Memorial Park in Weslaco, Texas. God rest your soul, Currahee. If any of his family and friends come to this site, please contact me. Thank You.

Jim didn't ask your permission to post these but think it's appropriate that others see them especially knowing the full story of Hill 474 and the loss of your friend Speedy.Thanks to chapped lips for the original research.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When that picture was taken, how long had you been over there?

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]

Jim, that is amazing. Thanks for sharing this with us. I am really looking forward to feeding the tiger again with you again this fall, amigo.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
WOW!

Cool story. Damn cool opening the mail to find those!

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by eh76
[Linked Image]

you know where I stand brother...

Me as well Gentlemen, a true mind blowing glimpse into a helluva trip through survival.

God Bless Ya Jim and RIP Speedy, as well as all the other Men who fought and died in that war. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome home guys. This is all I have to say about that.

Here's a little music from Johnny Cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAbgmXVaOc8&feature=player_detailpage

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,883
Posts18,518,231
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.